News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

OK, so maybe toys was a bit much.  But still, my phone is far, far from my main computing device.  It's mainly a way for me to quickly get info from email/the internet when I have a down moment of boredom (or if I'm out and need to look at something), maps access on the rare occasion I need to on the road, or the base phone/text functions that have existed since the days of flip phones.  The only apps I've downloaded are Vivaldi (to replace Chrome), the authenticator app IT insists on if I want to log in to my work anything remotely, VLC (for access to my music library; I haven't used it recently, but I did used to listen to my Marie-Mai albums when vacuuming), a lock screen notes app, and News10's weather app so I can get the forecast/radar if needed when out (it works across the US, haven't had a chance to try Canada yet).  Mostly I use the browser for things, and do pretty much all of my main computing business on my desktop and laptop.  I'm not sure I'd ever trust my phone with financial anything; I don't need people to get access to my bank account if they take my phone, and I don't trust wireless anything to be secure unless it's my own personal network.  I can't say I've gotten anywhere close to as integrated in mobile as most people seem to; the way I use computers hasn't really changed much in the past decade (and aside from my switch to Linux, it arguably hasn't changed much in 15-20 years).

I remember when apps were things like the flashlight app (remember when that wasn't built right in?).  I also remember when even flip phones were cutting edge and not everyone had them.  Like so (1:02):

https://youtu.be/eKUlOEHu7Uc?t=62

Quote from: Bruce on July 28, 2023, 09:34:05 PM
For me, apps on desktop refer to applications that are built primarily for touchscreens or with full-screen use in mind, rather than traditional programs. It's a useful distinction.
I feel like Microsoft is referring to everything as an "app" these days.  Or at least it seemed like it from whatever inspired me to post about it in the first place.

Quote from: ZLoth on July 28, 2023, 10:46:49 AM
Quote from: vdeane on July 27, 2023, 12:59:27 PMThere's one person who insists on starting every meeting by greeting each and every person on the call with an individual "good morning" and roll call, instead of simply reading through the names and asking people with just phone numbers displayed who they are like is done at every other meeting from every other group.  It's annoying as I'm not an extrovert and would rather just start the meeting than deal with a good morning love fest, yet this person insists on the latter for each and every meeting they're involved with.

To me, it's more important if that meeting host starts the meeting a minute or so after the stated start time and ends the meeting before the scheduled end time, thus placing high value on the attendees time. I would say "bonus points" for the meeting host in personally recognizing everyone in the meeting within reason.
I think the key phrase is "within reason".  The normal way is one of the following:

Version 1:
Host: Do we have anyone from Region 1?
Region 1: Yes, this is [name] from Region 1 [group].

Version 2:
Host: ... I see [name] from Region 10 and [name] from Region 11.  Who is the 716 number?
Person who called in instead of using the WebEx program: This is [name] from Region 5.

Instead we now get this:

Host: I see [first name].  Hello!
[person]: Good morning!
Host: Good morning!  I see [next first name in alphabetical order].  Hello!
[next person]: Good morning!
Host: Good morning! ...

It's more tedious and loses the connection to who represents what regions/groups.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

If it doesn't write to standard output, it's a toy.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

The Nature Boy

Quote from: vdeane on July 28, 2023, 09:41:42 PM
OK, so maybe toys was a bit much.  But still, my phone is far, far from my main computing device.  It's mainly a way for me to quickly get info from email/the internet when I have a down moment of boredom (or if I'm out and need to look at something), maps access on the rare occasion I need to on the road, or the base phone/text functions that have existed since the days of flip phones.  The only apps I've downloaded are Vivaldi (to replace Chrome), the authenticator app IT insists on if I want to log in to my work anything remotely, VLC (for access to my music library; I haven't used it recently, but I did used to listen to my Marie-Mai albums when vacuuming), a lock screen notes app, and News10's weather app so I can get the forecast/radar if needed when out (it works across the US, haven't had a chance to try Canada yet).  Mostly I use the browser for things, and do pretty much all of my main computing business on my desktop and laptop.  I'm not sure I'd ever trust my phone with financial anything; I don't need people to get access to my bank account if they take my phone, and I don't trust wireless anything to be secure unless it's my own personal network.  I can't say I've gotten anywhere close to as integrated in mobile as most people seem to; the way I use computers hasn't really changed much in the past decade (and aside from my switch to Linux, it arguably hasn't changed much in 15-20 years).

I remember when apps were things like the flashlight app (remember when that wasn't built right in?).  I also remember when even flip phones were cutting edge and not everyone had them.  Like so (1:02):

https://youtu.be/eKUlOEHu7Uc?t=62

For me, apps on desktop refer to applications that are built primarily for touchscreens or with full-screen use in mind, rather than traditional programs. It's a useful distinction.
I feel like Microsoft is referring to everything as an "app" these days.  Or at least it seemed like it from whatever inspired me to post about it in the first place.

Quote from: vdeane on July 27, 2023, 12:59:27 PMThere's one person who insists on starting every meeting by greeting each and every person on the call with an individual "good morning" and roll call, instead of simply reading through the names and asking people with just phone numbers displayed who they are like is done at every other meeting from every other group.  It's annoying as I'm not an extrovert and would rather just start the meeting than deal with a good morning love fest, yet this person insists on the latter for each and every meeting they're involved with.

To me, it's more important if that meeting host starts the meeting a minute or so after the stated start time and ends the meeting before the scheduled end time, thus placing high value on the attendees time. I would say "bonus points" for the meeting host in personally recognizing everyone in the meeting within reason.
I think the key phrase is "within reason".  The normal way is one of the following:

Version 1:

Version 2:
Host: ... I see [name] from Region 10 and [name] from Region 11.  Who is the 716 number?
Person who called in instead of using the WebEx program: This is [name] from Region 5.

Instead we now get this:

It's more tedious and loses the connection to who represents what regions/groups.

This.

I had to do an informational presentation on a new initiative to my team recently. My boss joined the call and was unhappy that I jumped right into the presentation without an "interactive icebreaker" to start.

First of all, these people all work with each other everyday. And even with just the presentation and the Q&A part of it, we almost ran out of time. Not everything is a social hour.

ZLoth

Quote from: ZLoth on July 19, 2023, 11:11:37 AMSomething that has bothered me for several months, but now I have more information to file a complaint...

I'm a avid listener of the classical music station WRR-101.1 in the Dallas area. Since most of my drives are short, I don't bother setting up the Bluetooth. However, the past few months, I've noticed interference in the mornings, but wasn't able to get more specific information. Then, a few days ago, I hit the right "sweet spot", and actually got the interfering station.

And this morning, I got country music blaring when I ran an errand this morning. This time, it was KRMD 101.1 whose transmitter is in Oil City, Louisiana which is three hours away from North Dallas and serving the city of Shreveport.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

ZLoth

And now... it's people with their smartphones verses using headphones. Whenever I'm out and about and expect to be waiting someplace, I carry along a cheap set of earbuds that are $15, but the audio quality is very good... enough to listen to an audiobook, music, or watch a video without disturbing others. However, in the corner was two older customers who phones were heard someone clearly because a. they were watching videos, and b. I could hear the Spanish audio. The younger folks are wearing the headphones, but arrrggghh.... the volume is so loud. If I can hear the music you are playing and you are wearing headphones, they are too loud.

wanderer2575

A leap of a segue, but speaking of classical music:  People who think classical music is anything performed by an orchestra, even if it's a Muzak-type arrangement of a Beatles song.  (I specifically direct my ire toward a program director at WRCJ-FM in Detroit, previously program director at the old WQRS-FM.)

hbelkins

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 30, 2023, 10:53:02 AM

I had to do an informational presentation on a new initiative to my team recently. My boss joined the call and was unhappy that I jumped right into the presentation without an "interactive icebreaker" to start.

First of all, these people all work with each other everyday. And even with just the presentation and the Q&A part of it, we almost ran out of time. Not everything is a social hour.

I hate icebreakers -- virtual or in-person -- in general. I'm not interested in the socializing and the "getting to know one another" and all that other happy horse crap. Just get to it. Do a short round of "introduce yourself" if need be, but leave the cutesy stuff out of it. Just get to it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 30, 2023, 10:53:02 AM
Quote from: vdeane on July 28, 2023, 09:41:42 PM
OK, so maybe toys was a bit much.  But still, my phone is far, far from my main computing device.  It's mainly a way for me to quickly get info from email/the internet when I have a down moment of boredom (or if I'm out and need to look at something), maps access on the rare occasion I need to on the road, or the base phone/text functions that have existed since the days of flip phones...

Version 1:

Version 2:

Instead we now get this:

This.

I'm not on many calls, but when I am, thankfully we don't do any of this.  Basically the host looks at the screen at the start-up time or 1 minute after, sees their key people are on and dives into the meeting.  If there's a person dialing in and their name isn't displayed, they often have the courtesy to say they're on.  If someone is missing, usually they made it known why, or someone tries to reach them separately.  If there's a greeting, usually it's a quick Hi to the host, or to the highest ranking person on the meeting. 

ZLoth

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 30, 2023, 05:35:20 PMA leap of a segue, but speaking of classical music:  People who think classical music is anything performed by an orchestra, even if it's a Muzak-type arrangement of a Beatles song.

Nope, although it amuses me whenever music from a soundtrack composer such as Maurice Jarre, John Barry, Ennio Morricone, Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith, Hans Zimmer, Alfred Newman, Randy Newman, Max Steiner, Howard Share, or John Williams gets played on the classic music feed considering the long-term impact of their work. Bonus points if they include the exceptional work of Joe Hisaishi or Yoko Kanno.

US 89

Your last search was less than 5 seconds ago. Please try again later.

roadman65

Auto correct misspelling a correct word, while it offers no help in suggesting the right word with spelling when you can't figure out how to spell a word and hopes it spells it for you and don't.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Auto correct.

I can make my own mistakes, thank you, and don't need any help.

Big John

The current trend of autocorrect insisting of putting apostrophes where they don't belong.

roadman65

Like in the word " well"  changing it to We'll etc.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

iPhone auto correct is much worse than Android. I've switched back and forth several times. Android doesn't correct "well" to "we'll" like iPhone, for example.

Don't even get me started on iPhone's voice to text. It is abysmal. So bad it makes me want to go back to Android.

I've heard iOS 17 will resolve some of these issues, but I thought iOS 16 would too...

US 89

Someone needs to make it so its doesn't autocorrect to it's. In the past few years, I've started to see this error everywhere, even in official or nearly-official documents. I hate it.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on August 01, 2023, 09:28:51 PM
iPhone auto correct is much worse than Android. I've switched back and forth several times. Android doesn't correct "well" to "we'll" like iPhone, for example.

Android does that to me every time.

Hobart

Quote from: Big John on August 01, 2023, 09:18:57 PM
The current trend of autocorrect insisting of putting apostrophes where they don't belong.

I'd like to rep the related issue of autocorrect always capitalizing the word "May" as a name or a month, when used as a conditional verb.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

TheHighwayMan3561

My biggest issue with autocorrect is where you properly spell a word, but as it evaluates the context of your sentence it thinks you really meant a different word that it tries to substitute, and 90% of the time it's wrong.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 01, 2023, 09:48:18 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 01, 2023, 09:28:51 PM

Android does that to me every time.

Interesting, what version of Android? Last one I had was Android 13, Samsung S23. I don't recall the obsession with apostrophes like on iPhone.

I do recall using the Google keyboard, maybe it has better autocorrect than the standard keyboards from the manufacturers (minus if you have a Pixel).

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 02, 2023, 01:07:03 AM
My biggest issue with autocorrect is where you properly spell a word, but as it evaluates the context of your sentence it thinks you really meant a different word that it tries to substitute, and 90% of the time it's wrong.

That was the situation I felt that Google was better at assessing, iPhone autocorrect doesn't seem to take context into account; eg "I threw it down a well" would get turned into "I threw it down a we'll" every. single. time.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on August 02, 2023, 01:15:41 AMI do recall using the Google keyboard, maybe it has better autocorrect than the standard keyboards from the manufacturers (minus if you have a Pixel).

It does.  Autocorrect works well on my Pixel (Gboard) but is trash on my Samsung tablet (Android OS, but with Samsung's bespoke on-screen keyboard).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CNGL-Leudimin

The well/we'll thing has a similar issue in Spanish, in which sometimes auto-"correct" would add an acute to a verb, thus turning it from present to simple perfect past tense and the whole sentence no longer makes sense.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

A weird one I encounter from time to time on my iPhone or iPad–and I think this has been mentioned before–is autocorrect randomly inserting the article "a" where it doesn't belong. For example, suppose my wife's brother calls us and she's at the store or something. If I send her a message saying "Call Tom when you get home," sometimes autocorrect will randomly and inexplicably change that to "Call a Tom when you get home." I suppose that particular example is relatively minor because she'd know what it means, of course.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thenetwork

Self-Service checkouts which have the all of the equipment to accept CASH and credit in place....

...But the stores have some or all of the self serve registers as CREDIT/DEBIT only...

...and have limited to no signage stating as such.

I went to a smaller grocery store yesterday to purchase a few things.  They had 4 self-serve checkouts with cash accepting/dispensing attachments.  I scanned my items, and selected PAY NOW, only to find out it (and the other 3) was not accepting any cash.

The only indication as such was a tiny sign before the registers saying CREDIT/DEBIT ONLY.   Aargh!!

vdeane

Quote from: thenetwork on August 02, 2023, 09:20:47 AM
Self-Service checkouts which have the all of the equipment to accept CASH and credit in place....

...But the stores have some or all of the self serve registers as CREDIT/DEBIT only...

...and have limited to no signage stating as such.

I went to a smaller grocery store yesterday to purchase a few things.  They had 4 self-serve checkouts with cash accepting/dispensing attachments.  I scanned my items, and selected PAY NOW, only to find out it (and the other 3) was not accepting any cash.

The only indication as such was a tiny sign before the registers saying CREDIT/DEBIT ONLY.   Aargh!!

Wow.  Around here, the stores usually have a prompt notifying you and asking if you want to continue before you even start scanning.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.