Regional Boards > Northeast

PA Turnpike News

<< < (545/549) > >>

kalvado:

--- Quote from: Alps on September 14, 2021, 07:40:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: kalvado on September 14, 2021, 04:20:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: J N Winkler on September 14, 2021, 03:29:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 14, 2021, 11:38:16 AM ---What percentage of the total collected?
--- End quote ---

$100 million is under 10% of total fare revenue (net of discounts)--7.5% for 2019 ($1.327 billion) and 7.8% for 2020 ($1.279 billion), per the 2020 annual report.

--- End quote ---
A more interesting number is motorists who don’t use E-ZPass having a nearly 1 in 2 chance of riding without paying under the “toll-by-plate” license plate camera system.
For me, that puts a huge question mark on entire toll-by-plate approach.
And an elephant in the room is, of course, $450M payment for transit which Turnpike struggles with.

UPD: given that toll-by-plate rates are about 2x of EZpass ones, I would say they pretty much break even here with 50% collection efficiency.

--- End quote ---
Lack of front plates and obscured back plates (Thule bike racks) are both cited. The latter case should alert police and result in a certain other source of revenue when passing under a gantry.

--- End quote ---
Punitive attitude towards well-meaning citizens with no easy alternative solutions offered to them - what can go wrong with that?
Trailers, bike racks, larger loads carried with semi-open trunk  are all well established parts of daily life. Death penalty for jaywalking is a more logical idea, compared to excersizing such revenue options.

And even then.. Data from the paper:
of 11 M  uncollected tolls:
"not paid" - 6.7 M transactions
"state agencies fail to provide address" - 1.5 M transactions
"bills undeliverable" - 1 M transactions
"plate unidentified" - 1.8 M transactions

of unidentified plates
1.1%, or whooping 20k transactions, are intentional defacing of the plate
41%, or 740 k, are unintentional blocked plates
that leaves 58 %, or over 1M cases, to non-functioning equipment.

Looks to me that bicycle racks are the minorest problem here. Biggest one is those who just show middle finger to the too-smart-ass agency.
 Legal framework for cashless tolls, probably on a federal level, may do a lot.  Lobbying legislature for mandatory front plate may be a low-hanging fruit for Turnpike. And of course some better engineering always helps - looks like plate readers are just shy of 90% success rate. Well, that number is not terrible...

Flyer78:
I wonder if there is a noticeable difference in image quality at ORT gantry installs vs. the "in-place" toll-booth cameras. Seems there is far more cameras at the ORT gantry as well (more than one per lane).

kalvado:

--- Quote from: Flyer78 on September 15, 2021, 09:19:12 AM ---I wonder if there is a noticeable difference in image quality at ORT gantry installs vs. the "in-place" toll-booth cameras. Seems there is far more cameras at the ORT gantry as well (more than one per lane).

--- End quote ---
I looked up at what is on the gantries. There are quite a few things there, including pretty fancy camera optimization and vehicle fingerprinting for identification beyond reading the license plate. So if plate reader works on one station but fails on the other, fingerprint can still be used.

thenetwork:
Just a scenario question on the topic of toll by plate scanning in general -- perhaps it has happened to you:

You are driving your own passenger vehicle (license plate ABC-123) but towing a trailer U-Haul or otherwise with a different license plate number (ZYX-987).  Who's license plate gets billed, or is it double billed -- once for each plate?

MASTERNC:

--- Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 15, 2021, 12:18:44 AM ---
It also doesn't help that several people around here have 'altered' plates.  I've seen plates where have the reflective coating is gone on just the numbers, all gone, sanded numbers, plates pealing to the bare medal, you name it!  Honestly, they should add checking license plates condition to the inspection process.  Make those people fail inspection till they get a replacement plate from the state, as some of it is obvious intentional damage to it.

--- End quote ---

It's clear some are defacing their plates or placing dark covers over them (the latter is definitely illegal - they must find inspection mechanics that turn a blind eye or they remove them once a year).  However, the PA plates have been peeling themselves without doing anything (seems it is a bigger issue with plates within the last 10 years).  I had one where the film was delaminating, which created dark spots.  I agree about the inspection, as a mechanic can complete a form for a free replacement standard plate.  Unfortunately, those with vanity or specialty plates have to pay the full fee for a new one, which is absurd.

--- Quote from: thenetwork on September 15, 2021, 11:27:50 AM ---Just a scenario question on the topic of toll by plate scanning in general -- perhaps it has happened to you:

You are driving your own passenger vehicle (license plate ABC-123) but towing a trailer U-Haul or otherwise with a different license plate number (ZYX-987).  Who's license plate gets billed, or is it double billed -- once for each plate?

--- End quote ---

The administrator is supposed to note the difference when looking up the owner, but there have been instances in other states where this does not happen and it has made news.  I can tell you the system is not smart enough to notice a simultaneous E-ZPass read and a video toll (I have had a read-proof bag fail where I stored a Maryland Hatem Bridge transponder - even though I had a valid E-ZPass on my windshield, it read both tags and then did a license plate lookup on the invalid Maryland tag read, which resulted in some double billings).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version