Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) complete collapse after large ship hits it

Started by rickmastfan67, March 26, 2024, 04:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacswimmer

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 11, 2024, 06:23:51 PM
Quote from: Henry on May 10, 2024, 10:21:30 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on May 10, 2024, 08:14:55 PMNot sure it's enough but the MDTA is changing traffic patterns around the Harbor Tunnel tolls to improve merging into the tunnel.

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/key-bridge-collapse-causes-traffic-headaches-theres-a-plan-to-alleviate-congestion-baltimore-mdta-toll-county-patapsco-river/
It also looks like Exit 44 on I-695 will reopen, along with the U-turn ramp, and it's going to be toll-free, since the bridge is no longer there but will be rebuilt in four years, if the timeline holds up.

The press release says it will be tolled starting 6/1

An updated release today notes that the Broening Highway turnaround, along with I-695 up to the turnaround, will reopen on Monday 5/20 (though the inner loop only will remain closed between exits 42 & 43 due to an unrelated project I had previously posted about). Interestingly, tolling will now remain suspended into June with the MDTA planning to "reassess the status" in late June. Wonder if there was some pushback to tolling the turnaround.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-traffic-advisories/updated-schedule-i-695broening-highway-interchange-reopens
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"


NJRoadfan

Why was the turnaround tolled when you aren't even crossing the bridge? MdTA does this with I-895 Exit 9 as well. I can see push back because the toll is for a bridge that no longer exists.

epzik8

Quote from: bwana39 on May 14, 2024, 11:04:44 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 07, 2024, 09:23:52 PM
Quote from: davewiecking on May 07, 2024, 09:16:38 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on May 07, 2024, 08:15:37 PMThe Federal Register is proposing the removal of the bridge from the National Network until it is rebuilt and the designation of the alternative route around the city

https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/2024-10025/emergency-temporary-closure-segment-of-interstate-695-including-the-francis-scott-key-bridge-in
There will be a public comment period once the document is officially published.

Everyone one this forum will be required to submit a comment "it's not I-695!"

Interestingly, it addresses that in a footnote.

Probably to make sure Maryland does not get to use the miles in its maintenance allocations from the feds.

Injured reserve for bridges.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Mapmikey

because it isn't just the Key Bridge that was tolled.  The Bear Creek Bridge and Curtis Creek Bridges are also technically toll bridges.  The toll road is 10.9 miles of bridges and approaches.

the WB toll road starts just west of MD 151, though you can go to MD 157 toll free.

the other end is just west of MD 10 with multiple free exits before the toll EB.

Trucks who did the turnaround got a discounted rate vs. driving over the Key Bridge.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 15, 2024, 08:50:05 PMbecause it isn't just the Key Bridge that was tolled.  The Bear Creek Bridge and Curtis Creek Bridges are also technically toll bridges.  The toll road is 10.9 miles of bridges and approaches.

the WB toll road starts just west of MD 151, though you can go to MD 157 toll free.

the other end is just west of MD 10 with multiple free exits before the toll EB.

Trucks who did the turnaround got a discounted rate vs. driving over the Key Bridge.
the discount was only for local ez-pass.

Now if they keep tolling it all users should get the discount.

Alex

Quote from: epzik8 on May 14, 2024, 07:29:12 AM
Quote from: Henry on May 13, 2024, 10:32:24 PMThe largest truss section of the bridge has been detonated by controlled demolition:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/controlled-demolition-baltimore-bridge-collapse-173332066.html

As a result, the Dali is finally cleared of the debris that had been resting on its damaged area for about a month and a half.
Did not know the ship's crew was still on board over a month later.

Looks like visa paperwork is one reason, and another to maintain regular duties on the ship. I also heard on a TV news report that seafarers typically are at sea for 6 to 8 months.

Why is the Dali ship crew still stuck on board in the Baltimore Harbor?

QuoteWhy is the crew still on the boat?

On April 1, BBC reported that authorities said there were no plans to disembark the Dali's crew and it is unlikely any plan will be put in place unless the vessel is moved or taken out of the water. The Coast Guard said on March 29 that moving the ship is a second priority to reopening the Baltimore port and the shipping channel.

The BBC also reported that "even in normal circumstances, disembarking crews of foreign nationals from ships in U.S. ports requires significant paperwork." Twenty of the crew are citizens of India and one is from Sri Lanka.

The crew members would need visas and valid shore passes to allow them off the ship and require escorts to take them from the ship to the terminal gate, according to the BBC. It is not clear whether the crew has this required paperwork.

A representative from the Maryland Port Authority's Key Bridge response team told Futurism that the crew is also still "engaged in maintaining the current status of the ship" as the NTSB and Coast Guard continue their investigation.

"The crew is busy with their normal duties on the ship as well as assisting the NTSB and Coast Guard investigators on board," Dali management spokesman, William Marks, told the Washington Post.

MASTERNC

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 15, 2024, 07:29:54 PMWhy was the turnaround tolled when you aren't even crossing the bridge? MdTA does this with I-895 Exit 9 as well. I can see push back because the toll is for a bridge that no longer exists.

A more recent update indicates they are holding off on reinstating tolls.  Start date is now TBD.

Henry

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 15, 2024, 07:29:54 PMWhy was the turnaround tolled when you aren't even crossing the bridge? MdTA does this with I-895 Exit 9 as well. I can see push back because the toll is for a bridge that no longer exists.
At least that problem doesn't exist on the Chicago Skyway. It's set up like I-895, but there are no exits until you've crossed the bridge and paid the toll. ISTHA really did their homework on that one.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Sonic99

Quote from: Alex on May 16, 2024, 08:15:18 AM
Quote from: epzik8 on May 14, 2024, 07:29:12 AM
Quote from: Henry on May 13, 2024, 10:32:24 PMThe largest truss section of the bridge has been detonated by controlled demolition:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/controlled-demolition-baltimore-bridge-collapse-173332066.html

As a result, the Dali is finally cleared of the debris that had been resting on its damaged area for about a month and a half.
Did not know the ship's crew was still on board over a month later.

Looks like visa paperwork is one reason, and another to maintain regular duties on the ship. I also heard on a TV news report that seafarers typically are at sea for 6 to 8 months.

Why is the Dali ship crew still stuck on board in the Baltimore Harbor?

QuoteWhy is the crew still on the boat?

On April 1, BBC reported that authorities said there were no plans to disembark the Dali's crew and it is unlikely any plan will be put in place unless the vessel is moved or taken out of the water. The Coast Guard said on March 29 that moving the ship is a second priority to reopening the Baltimore port and the shipping channel.

The BBC also reported that "even in normal circumstances, disembarking crews of foreign nationals from ships in U.S. ports requires significant paperwork." Twenty of the crew are citizens of India and one is from Sri Lanka.

The crew members would need visas and valid shore passes to allow them off the ship and require escorts to take them from the ship to the terminal gate, according to the BBC. It is not clear whether the crew has this required paperwork.

A representative from the Maryland Port Authority's Key Bridge response team told Futurism that the crew is also still "engaged in maintaining the current status of the ship" as the NTSB and Coast Guard continue their investigation.

"The crew is busy with their normal duties on the ship as well as assisting the NTSB and Coast Guard investigators on board," Dali management spokesman, William Marks, told the Washington Post.


Noticed the last couple days there's been a sudden outcry from people not at all familiar with international shipping in reference to the crew. "Oh my god, they made them sit there RIGHT NEXT TO THE EXPLOSION! They've been sitting there for TWO MONTHS!! They had their phones taken away (while ignoring that they were given replacements), they don't have internet access!!" Not to say that perhaps we should have some more compassion for this crew, as it seems apparent that they absolutely didn't do any of this on purpose. But man, when people decide to inject themselves into stuff they have no clue about, it just turns stupid.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Sonic99 on May 17, 2024, 02:59:18 AMNoticed the last couple days there's been a sudden outcry from people not at all familiar with international shipping in reference to the crew. "Oh my god, they made them sit there RIGHT NEXT TO THE EXPLOSION! They've been sitting there for TWO MONTHS!! They had their phones taken away (while ignoring that they were given replacements), they don't have internet access!!" Not to say that perhaps we should have some more compassion for this crew, as it seems apparent that they absolutely didn't do any of this on purpose. But man, when people decide to inject themselves into stuff they have no clue about, it just turns stupid.

So, pretty much every comment section of every news story.

Sports stories are even better.  I shake my head every time when there's no runners on the bases and someone says the pitcher committed a balk (the penalty for a balk is the runners move up a base.  Since there's no runners, no balk was committed).  And how few people understand when the Infield Fly rule should be called.

vdeane

Quote from: Sonic99 on May 17, 2024, 02:59:18 AMNoticed the last couple days there's been a sudden outcry from people not at all familiar with international shipping in reference to the crew. "Oh my god, they made them sit there RIGHT NEXT TO THE EXPLOSION! They've been sitting there for TWO MONTHS!! They had their phones taken away (while ignoring that they were given replacements), they don't have internet access!!" Not to say that perhaps we should have some more compassion for this crew, as it seems apparent that they absolutely didn't do any of this on purpose. But man, when people decide to inject themselves into stuff they have no clue about, it just turns stupid.
I'm thinking more about the poor harbor captain who was probably expecting to go home at the end of his shift.  But still, the crew is stuck their, presumably having their time out lengthened by however long they're stuck.  I wouldn't view simply getting a new phone as having your own phone taken away not matter.  I have stuff like my media library and custom ringtone on my phone that isn't as simple as "just sign in and sync from the backup".  Plus whoever has my phone would have access to my email, social media, browser history, etc.  It's a huge invasion of privacy with potential for varying degrees of worse (someone just curious could sign into my account here and screw up which posts are "new", causing me to miss some; a malicious actor could impersonate me in email or on Facebook; this is the reason I don't save passwords for banks or anything really important).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on May 17, 2024, 01:01:04 PM
Quote from: Sonic99 on May 17, 2024, 02:59:18 AMNoticed the last couple days there's been a sudden outcry from people not at all familiar with international shipping in reference to the crew. "Oh my god, they made them sit there RIGHT NEXT TO THE EXPLOSION! They've been sitting there for TWO MONTHS!! They had their phones taken away (while ignoring that they were given replacements), they don't have internet access!!" Not to say that perhaps we should have some more compassion for this crew, as it seems apparent that they absolutely didn't do any of this on purpose. But man, when people decide to inject themselves into stuff they have no clue about, it just turns stupid.
I'm thinking more about the poor harbor captain who was probably expecting to go home at the end of his shift.  But still, the crew is stuck their, presumably having their time out lengthened by however long they're stuck.  I wouldn't view simply getting a new phone as having your own phone taken away not matter.  I have stuff like my media library and custom ringtone on my phone that isn't as simple as "just sign in and sync from the backup".  Plus whoever has my phone would have access to my email, social media, browser history, etc.  It's a huge invasion of privacy with potential for varying degrees of worse (someone just curious could sign into my account here and screw up which posts are "new", causing me to miss some; a malicious actor could impersonate me in email or on Facebook; this is the reason I don't save passwords for banks or anything really important).

That privacy invasion is probably what they're going for, to try to see if there was any hint of unwelcoming activity.

epzik8

Quote from: Sonic99 on May 17, 2024, 02:59:18 AMNoticed the last couple days there's been a sudden outcry from people not at all familiar with international shipping in reference to the crew. "Oh my god, they made them sit there RIGHT NEXT TO THE EXPLOSION! They've been sitting there for TWO MONTHS!! They had their phones taken away (while ignoring that they were given replacements), they don't have internet access!!" Not to say that perhaps we should have some more compassion for this crew, as it seems apparent that they absolutely didn't do any of this on purpose. But man, when people decide to inject themselves into stuff they have no clue about, it just turns stupid.

I offer a personal apology.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.
____________________________

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"



Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.