News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

Bridge over PATCO in Lindenwold set to reopen
QuoteThe White Horse Road Bridge over the PATCO tracks in Lindenwold will reopen to limited traffic in six to eight weeks, according to Camden County officials.

The 50-year-old bridge has been closed since June 25 due to structural problems. Construction crews have been working to stabilize the bridge since its closure.

Traffic on the bridge will be limited to cars, passenger trucks and emergency vehicles. Heavy trucks will still have to use the detour.

Lanes on the bridge will be constricted due to the ongoing construction. While the bridge will be stabilized, engineers will continue work on a design for a full replacement. The construction is expected to continue into next year.

storm2k

I get the impression that NJ is moving away from having the black backing on route markers on BGS's. The new signs they've erected on Rt 22 in Bridgewater where they're doing work around Chimney Rock Rd/Foothill Rd/287 did not have them. On Sunday, I drove down Rt 18 to the Turnpike entrance there in East Brunswick and I saw some of the new overheads they're getting ready to put up and they don't have backings either. It's not a big deal, but it was always one of those small things that made New Jersey be New Jersey.

BrianP

Quote from: storm2k on July 29, 2014, 09:44:00 AM
It's not a big deal, but it was always one of those small things that made New Jersey be New Jersey.
Like jughandles:
Jughandles are here to stay
QuoteSimilar to their cousin, the traffic circle, jughandles are a uniquely Jersey thing that confuses drivers who aren't from here, said Gilbert Chlewicki, a Maryland traffic engineer and intersection expert.

bzakharin

Quote from: BrianP on July 29, 2014, 11:00:31 AM
It's not a big deal, but it was always one of those small things that made New Jersey be New Jersey.
Like jughandles:
QuoteSimilar to their cousin, the traffic circle, jughandles are a uniquely Jersey thing that confuses drivers who aren't from here, said Gilbert Chlewicki, a Maryland traffic engineer and intersection expert.
Jughandles are confusing to me because there's no consistency whatsoever as to whether there will be one. Let's say I'm on an unfamiliar stretch of road and I need gas. I see a cheap gas station on the left following a cross street. Do I:
1. Keep left and hope there is a left turn?
2. Keep right before the cross street and hope there is a jughandle?
3. Keep going and hope there is some sort of U-Turn ahead?
4. Forget it, there's no access to the other side of the road here?

I can think of places where all four scenarios exist on the same stretch of roadway, and I'm sorry, but a small "all turns from right lane" sign, which may only be visible when you're already in the right lane doesn't cut it.

Off topic, but a real headscratcher is the Rite Aid Pharmacy in Egg Harbor Township at the corner of US 9 (New Street) and Tilton Road. Both roads are limited access and allow left turns from one to the other, but the pharmacy entrance is only accessible from southbound Tilton Road. That is, only one of the four directions you might be going at that intersection. Do they not want more business or what? Thankfully, I figured out a solution that only works for me. There is a bank across the street that *is* accessible from all four approaches, so I combine my pharmacy trip with my trip to the bank most times and just cross Tilton from the bank exit to the pharmacy entrance (I wouldn't just cut through the bank to make a U-Turn).

mtantillo

Quote from: bzakharin on July 29, 2014, 11:35:19 AM
Like jughandles:
Jughandles are confusing to me because there's no consistency whatsoever as to whether there will be one. Let's say I'm on an unfamiliar stretch of road and I need gas. I see a cheap gas station on the left following a cross street. Do I:

I can think of places where all four scenarios exist on the same stretch of roadway, and I'm sorry, but a small "all turns from right lane" sign, which may only be visible when you're already in the right lane doesn't cut it.

My method is to stay in the right lane if I'm not familiar with the area. If I see a gas station on the right, I can turn in. If I see one on the left, I can either try to get over to the left (or in NJ look for the "ALL TURNS FROM RIGHT LANE"), or if not, make a U-turn further down. If i'm on the left side and see a gas station on the right, you would have to make two U-turns to get to it if you pass it, so I'd rather not take that chance. Plus, on the right, you are theoretically going slower so you have more opportunity to look.

Zeffy

I get the impression that NJ is moving away from having the black backing on route markers on BGS's. The new signs they've erected on Rt 22 in Bridgewater where they're doing work around Chimney Rock Rd/Foothill Rd/287 did not have them. On Sunday, I drove down Rt 18 to the Turnpike entrance there in East Brunswick and I saw some of the new overheads they're getting ready to put up and they don't have backings either. It's not a big deal, but it was always one of those small things that made New Jersey be New Jersey.

IIRC, the FHWA was being a bitch about NJ's use of the black backing on their state route markers on large guide signs.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on July 29, 2014, 11:35:19 AM
Like jughandles:

The theory behind the jughandle is great: Keep right for all turns. After all, this is exactly how most highways work: No one complains that they need to stay to the right to exit, only to have to make a left turn at the time of the ramp.

NJ does need to sign their jughandles better, especially on roads where the turning is inconsistant (jughandle at one intersection; left turn slot at the next intersection).  BTW, this type of road system tends to produce a high rate of congestion, as the cycle lengths have to vary from one intersection to the next.

mtantillo

Quote from: Zeffy on July 29, 2014, 11:56:19 AM

IIRC, the FHWA was being a bitch about NJ's use of the black backing on their state route markers on large guide signs.

It does very specifically say in the MUTCD that the black background is not to be used on a BGS. Time for NJ to get in compliance with the other 49 states...

Alps

Quote from: mtantillo on July 29, 2014, 03:28:50 PM

It does very specifically say in the MUTCD that the black background is not to be used on a BGS. Time for NJ to get in compliance with the other 49 states...
Still surprising that they're doing it. The new signs at I-287/I-80 still have the background, for example. But if they're ready to go with the rest of the country... Nah, I'll still miss it.

hbelkins

What is the purpose of that, and why does it matter? I can't see the logic in prohibiting it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NJRoadfan

I always thought NJ did it to simplify shield inventory. Why make separate cutouts when you can just use existing shields? I don't know the specifics, but cutout shields likely cost more to make too.

On a related note, looking at the planning maps for the new NJTP Exit 8, it shows which signs have cutouts and which ones don't. Strange to see a mix on the same contract, particularly a Turnpike Authority led one. I guess NJDOT had some swing in what their part of the interchange got at NJ-33.

J Route Z

That's the one thing I hate about NJ highways are the jughandles. They cause so many traffic jams, and there are particular ones that you have to make a left onto a busy road, while traffic is sitting for the red light. Meanwhile, you can't block the box. When the light is green for the local road, good luck trying to get in. I just don't understand why they can't make dedicated left turn lanes on these roads. Maybe not enough room ? But there are several dedicated left turn lanes throughout the state for divided highways. It's really inconsistent and dumb.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: J Route Z on July 30, 2014, 10:12:20 PM
That's the one thing I hate about NJ highways are the jughandles. They cause so many traffic jams, and there are particular ones that you have to make a left onto a busy road, while traffic is sitting for the red light. Meanwhile, you can't block the box. When the light is green for the local road, good luck trying to get in. I just don't understand why they can't make dedicated left turn lanes on these roads. Maybe not enough room ? But there are several dedicated left turn lanes throughout the state for divided highways. It's really inconsistent and dumb.
One of the most frustrating things is when the jughandle geometry is far too tight for the current amount of traffic volume.  Vehicles attempting to turn right often have to compete with traffic coming out of the jughandle wishing to turn left (U-turn) or continue straight (left turn).  I had a crazy right turn like this on my daily commute for years, that would occasionally send me (and many others) taking a shortcut through local businesses just to make the turn.  Of course there often isn't enough room to reconstruct the jughandle to pull its exit further back from the light.  I think in many cases these should come to a T intersection with a stop sign to give the traffic on the side road priority to the light, but this would just back up traffic far worse entering the jughandle in many locations.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on July 29, 2014, 04:35:27 PM

Still surprising that they're doing it. The new signs at I-287/I-80 still have the background, for example. But if they're ready to go with the rest of the country... Nah, I'll still miss it.

Yeah, I've always thought of the black background as being an integral part of the NJ shield, something that made it distinct. If they omit it on guide signage then it's just a goddamned circle like a bunch of other states use.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

BrianP

jeffandnicole

roadman65

http://defenderofthemiddleclass.com/why-new-jersey-has-full-service-gas-stations
I thought that some of you who always complain why NJ is so backwards with its "Full Service Law" this may be interesting to you.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

QuoteBecause gas stations in New Jersey hire fuel associates, they can pay a lower state tax rate.

Huh?

Besides this being nothing more than opinion, it's also entirely opinioned towards why we have it, even if the reasons don't match up with reality. Gas theft still occurs.  It's very questionable that most attendants operating the pumps have been trained.  And if only those people trained to handle gas are the ones that can safely pump it, then why isn't there a large number of fires started by those untrained individuals too clumsy to pour gas into a lawnmower, or those hundreds of millions of people elsewhere in the country serving themselves at gas stations on a regular basis?

BTW...regarding seniors: Since you live in Florida, where many, many seniors retire, how many complain about the hardships of filling their tank.  In fact, since all the states seniors enjoy retiring in have self-service, is this ever really a problem.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 31, 2014, 01:20:30 PMIn fact, since all the states seniors enjoy retiring in have self-service, is this ever really a problem.
I think it's more of which era/generation these seniors are from and, yes, gender.

Case and point: my father (currently 83), back when he drove, would do self-service w/no problem whereas my 77-year-old mother (who still drives) has never done self-service (not even once) and she has lived in MA all her life.  She hated the fact that the Prime Energy station in Salem was recently converted (following a major expansion) to a self-serve-only station.  She now gasses up at a Gibbs station in Swampscott; which offers full-serve (or at least someone else pumps the gas).  She would love NJ and OR for such.

OTOH, Baby-Boomers and those younger were exposed to self-serve at a much earlier age and adapted accordingly.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 31, 2014, 05:05:28 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 31, 2014, 01:20:30 PMIn fact, since all the states seniors enjoy retiring in have self-service, is this ever really a problem.
I think it's more of which era/generation these seniors are from and, yes, gender.

Case and point: my father (currently 83), back when he drove, would do self-service w/no problem whereas my 77-year-old mother (who still drives) has never done self-service (not even once) and she has lived in MA all her life.  She hated the fact that the Prime Energy station in Salem was recently converted (following a major expansion) to a self-serve-only station.  She now gasses up at a Gibbs station in Swampscott; which offers full-serve (or at least someone else pumps the gas).  She would love NJ and OR for such.

OTOH, Baby-Boomers and those younger were exposed to self-serve at a much earlier age and adapted accordingly.

Now that's surprising.  AL Prime is exclusively full-serve at all the stations I can think of (possibly excluding the one on Route 2 in Fitchburg).  Pretty much the price leader in most places, too.

Self-serve is all fine and good 8 months out of the year, but we have enough frigid mornings here that I truly appreciate full serve.  Most all-full stations around here are small and thus pretty fast, unlike some of the big, understaffed pump farms in New Jersey.

vdeane

Quote from: J Route Z on July 30, 2014, 10:12:20 PM
It lowers the number of signal phases that are needed to move the turns to a jughandle.

Quote from: Duke87 on July 30, 2014, 10:29:58 PM

Yeah, I've always thought of the black background as being an integral part of the NJ shield, something that made it distinct. If they omit it on guide signage then it's just a goddamned circle like a bunch of other states use.
Given that the background is there for US and county route shields as well, I don't think it's a part of the shield at all (plus all organizations other than NJDOT omit the border for NJ routes).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Duke87 on July 30, 2014, 10:29:58 PM

Isn't it up to New Jersey and not the FHWA to decide whether its route symbol is a white circle or a white circle on a black square?

Duke87

Quote from: roadman65 on July 31, 2014, 11:37:03 AM
http://defenderofthemiddleclass.com/why-new-jersey-has-full-service-gas-stations
I thought that some of you who always complain why NJ is so backwards with its "Full Service Law" this may be interesting to you.

Bah. The safety argument is bullshit and the argument that "it's cheaper" suffers from a gross assumption that correlation implies causation. Oregon has prices which are usually above the national average despite having a similar law. Yes, New Jersey has really low gas taxes but this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it has all full service.

It being tradition and being popular, at least, are honest statements. In my experience people who grow up in NJ tend to expect full service and find it inconvenient in other states when they don't get it. All a question of what you're used to, I suppose.

As for the elderly/disabled argument, I can see that being a valid concern, but I also see it as oppressive that the service is mandatory. If you want to require that all stations have full service as an option, fine. But for stations to refuse to allow you to pump your own gas even if that's what you prefer is horrible customer service, and any establishment that does that (whether required by law to or not) will not get my business.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 31, 2014, 07:40:57 PM
Isn't it up to New Jersey and not the FHWA to decide whether its route symbol is a white circle or a white circle on a black square?

I believe the federal standard is that shields as depicted on guide signage are not supposed to have any sort of black border. NJ therefore is required to design their shields accordingly, and cannot weasel out of the requirement by saying "the black border is part of the shield".
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Duke87 on July 31, 2014, 09:02:42 PMIt being tradition and being popular, at least, are honest statements. In my experience people who grow up in NJ tend to expect full service and find it inconvenient in other states when they don't get it. All a question of what you're used to, I suppose.

As for the elderly/disabled argument, I can see that being a valid concern, but I also see it as oppressive that the service is mandatory. If you want to require that all stations have full service as an option, fine. But for stations to refuse to allow you to pump your own gas even if that's what you prefer is horrible customer service, and any establishment that does that (whether required by law to or not) will not get my business.

Suit yourself.  Shorter lines for that cheap gas for everyone else.

Either way, full serve has the support of a very influential group:

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 31, 2014, 07:40:57 PM

QuoteI believe the federal standard is that shields as depicted on guide signage are not supposed to have any sort of black border. NJ therefore is required to design their shields accordingly, and cannot weasel out of the requirement by saying "the black border is part of the shield".

It not only stands out much better with the border, it maintains consistency with the roadside markers.  Consistency fosters clarity.  Keep the damn border and tell FHWA to find something useful to do.

roadman65

I would like to see if NJDOT complies with adding the yellow stripe on new signals.  I cannot picture them doing it, just like I cannot picture them removing the jughandles.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.