News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

State outline was in use in the 1920s, and was commonly seen painted on a pole. The triangle may have been a proposal, but never used to my knowledge.
Also, bitchin' S-31 shield.

_Simon

I'm already pissed enough that "EXIT XX XX MILES" turnpike signage is going in the garbage.  I can tolerate that change because there's an actual technical reason for it (and I never did like how ambiguous it was to place two numbers next to each other) and normal exit tabs are used everywhere else in NJ,  but any attempts to legitimize regulatory controls on the shield background or any aspect of shield design is just bullshit.   If anyone is doing anything to increase readability of state route shields,  the first rule should be that states can't use more than two colors, and all states must have a 3-digit wide version.  It should be a misdemeanor for any sign fabricator to cram 3 digits (and a felony for 4 digits,  Virginia) into a shield that conforms to a square form factor, with the exception of the county route pentagon, which are already invisible to non-roadgeeks.

Alps

Quote from: _Simon on August 20, 2014, 08:38:22 PM
I'm already pissed enough that "EXIT XX XX MILES" turnpike signage is going in the garbage.  I can tolerate that change because there's an actual technical reason for it (and I never did like how ambiguous it was to place two numbers next to each other) and normal exit tabs are used everywhere else in NJ,  but any attempts to legitimize regulatory controls on the shield background or any aspect of shield design is just bullshit.   If anyone is doing anything to increase readability of state route shields,  the first rule should be that states can't use more than two colors, and all states must have a 3-digit wide version.  It should be a misdemeanor for any sign fabricator to cram 3 digits (and a felony for 4 digits,  Virginia) into a shield that conforms to a square form factor, with the exception of the county route pentagon, which are already invisible to non-roadgeeks.
I happen to love narrow-width shields. I'm looking fondly at you, Kentucky.

So how about you realize that we all have varying OPINIONS about what matters, and the state is working based on the RULES.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on August 20, 2014, 05:50:12 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 20, 2014, 11:24:34 AM
So many states carve out their own exceptions to the MUTCD, I can't understand why New Jersey won't continue to do so for route markers on guide signs.
I think this is getting a bit overblown for the most picayune of arguments. If you really feel that a black background defines the essence of New Jersey, let's start with the fact that we're still using the most boring of all shield shapes. Are we a boring circle?

I would love for NJ to use something different for their state routes, especially incorporating the shape of NJ.  I just can't come up with anything that looks somewhat decent.

roadman65

If NJ would use the circle with a green outline of the state in the middle, that would look cool!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on August 21, 2014, 07:11:08 AM
I happen to love narrow-width shields. I'm looking fondly at you, Kentucky.[/quote]

So do I, but at present only two highway districts in Kentucky (District 8/Somerset and District 12/Pikeville) are currently using them extensively. District 4/E-town uses them for three-digit routes for the most part, but there are exceptions. And D-8 seems to be phasing them out for four-digit routes. If you see a wide route marker sign in D-12, it was either installed by a contractor (the newest section of US 119) or it's pretty rare.

QuoteSo how about you realize that we all have varying OPINIONS about what matters, and the state is working based on the RULES.

Yep, but as I said once before, lots of states carve out exceptions to the rules. If NJ felt strongly about using independent route markers on guide signs the way California still uses cutouts, it would be fighting to keep them. Apparently the state DOT doesn't think it's a big deal.

Quote from: _Simon on August 20, 2014, 08:38:22 PMIt should be a misdemeanor for any sign fabricator to cram 3 digits (and a felony for 4 digits,  Virginia) into a shield that conforms to a square form factor, with the exception of the county route pentagon, which are already invisible to non-roadgeeks.

What's wrong with these?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

QuoteI would love for NJ to use something different for their state routes, especially incorporating the shape of NJ.  I just can't come up with anything that looks somewhat decent.

Straying slightly off topic, but I came up with this several years ago:

QuoteWhat's wrong with these?

B-series numerals, IMO.  Virginia does theirs much better, even if the numbers aren't as tall...

DeaconG

Quote from: froggie on August 21, 2014, 01:13:39 PM
QuoteI would love for NJ to use something different for their state routes, especially incorporating the shape of NJ.  I just can't come up with anything that looks somewhat decent.

QuoteWhat's wrong with these?

B-series numerals, IMO.  Virginia does theirs much better, even if the numbers aren't as tall...

Looks like the toll road shields used in Florida.

Maybe use something similar to Florida's state routes with a New Jersey outline?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

BrianP

Quote from: froggie on August 21, 2014, 01:13:39 PM

I would doubt that anything behind a number would fly since it would degrade readability.  That and the state outline and name together is a bit of overkill. 

How about:

Then you'd have an excuse for using the whole shield on a BGS. :awesomeface:

QuoteStraying slightly off topic
At least you're not talking about gas prices...lol

Roadrunner75

Or something more appropriate like...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 22, 2014, 12:31:07 AM

There are no smokestacks along 42!!!!! LOL

DeaconG

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 22, 2014, 08:59:12 AM

True...just go with it! Now if there was an oil/gas tank there instead of a building it would be perfect!
EDIT: Put a flame on the smokestack to represent a burnoff tower and it's dead on!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

_Simon

cl94

Quote from: DeaconG on August 22, 2014, 09:23:50 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 22, 2014, 08:59:12 AM

True...just go with it! Now if there was an oil/gas tank there instead of a building it would be perfect!
EDIT: Put a flame on the smokestack to represent a burnoff tower and it's dead on!

Certainly confirms every stereotype we New Yorkers have of your...um..."pungent" state
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

signalman

Quote from: cl94 on August 22, 2014, 08:59:25 PM
Certainly confirms every stereotype we New Yorkers have of your...um..."pungent" state
Not all of NJ is that fragrant.  Just near NYC and Philadelphia to keep NYers and Pennsylvanians on their side of the rivers!   :sombrero:

Zeffy

It's okay, because most New Jerseyans think that New Yorkers are the most self-centered, arrogant and generally the biggest assholes on the planet. * Saying our state smells only applies to a few parts of the state, anyway.

* Does not reflect my actual opinion on New Yorkers

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cl94

Quote from: Zeffy on August 23, 2014, 10:26:13 AM

It's okay, because most New Jerseyans think that New Yorkers are the most self-centered, arrogant and generally the biggest assholes on the planet. * Saying our state smells only applies to a few parts of the state, anyway.

* Does not reflect my actual opinion on New Yorkers

Oh, not all of the state smells. Just Newark and the surrounding area.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

02 Park Ave

Simon:  I like it!

froggie:  Too "provincial".
C-o-H

Zeffy

Here was my concept, keeping NJ's circle we all know and love...

The only problem I had making this was I could not for the life of me get the GARDEN STATE in a perfect arc, mainly because I suck at using the "Put Text on Path" tool in Inkscape. Anyone who wants to take it upon them and improve it, go ahead.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on August 23, 2014, 11:36:38 AM

The only problem I had making this was I could not for the life of me get the GARDEN STATE in a perfect arc, mainly because I suck at using the "Put Text on Path" tool in Inkscape. Anyone who wants to take it upon them and improve it, go ahead.

I would say to solve this issue, move the state silhouette slightly over to the right, until you can get Garden State even in the arc.

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 23, 2014, 11:13:12 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on August 23, 2014, 11:36:38 AM

I would say to solve this issue, move the state silhouette slightly over to the right, until you can get Garden State even in the arc.

Why not Make the NJ itself doubled, on either side of the number
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

roadman65

You know hearing the anti New Jersey remarks brings back memories of when I first moved down to Florida.  One guy I worked with named Greg, used to call New Jersey "The Garbage State" making a reference to the fact that our license plates made a mistake by saying "Garden State."  I plenty of times had to deal with it, but as far as the smell goes when I lived in NJ I did not notice it even though I passed through Linden quite often.  However now that I live here, whenever I visit home I noticed how industrialized NJ is as when I was a part of it I never really noticed it then.

I did get a guy who told the infamous What Exit joke, and living near Exit 135 on the Parkway, I made him dumfounded.   When I proudly said one thirty five, he found that hard to believe and then like gasped when he realized that there is one that high.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SteveG1988

Quote from: roadman65 on August 24, 2014, 11:18:25 AM
You know hearing the anti New Jersey remarks brings back memories of when I first moved down to Florida.  One guy I worked with named Greg, used to call New Jersey "The Garbage State" making a reference to the fact that our license plates made a mistake by saying "Garden State."  I plenty of times had to deal with it, but as far as the smell goes when I lived in NJ I did not notice it even though I passed through Linden quite often.  However now that I live here, whenever I visit home I noticed how industrialized NJ is as when I was a part of it I never really noticed it then.

I did get a guy who told the infamous What Exit joke, and living near Exit 135 on the Parkway, I made him dumfounded.   When I proudly said one thirty five, he found that hard to believe and then like gasped when he realized that there is one that high.

According to DRPA NJ has an exit 354 on I-76.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

vdeane

Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 24, 2014, 12:27:52 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 24, 2014, 11:18:25 AM

According to DRPA NJ has an exit 354 on I-76.
That number makes more sense than the numbering scheme NJDOT actually uses.  Given the close proximity of I-676 and the short length of I-76 in NJ, it really doesn't make sense for it to have its own numbering scheme.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

It shouldn't make any difference how long a highway is in any given state.  And while this exit for I-676 on I-76 East is 354, the exit on 76 West is Exit 2.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.