News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner75

I used to use 14B WB to MLK quite a bit when I had a project in Newark.  It kind of dumps you off in an odd spot on State St., a relatively narrow unstriped side street, sending you toward a stop sign and annoying left turn across traffic onto MLK SB - not exactly the best 'Welcome to Newark' the BGS promises with its destinations of Rutgers / NJIT / Essex Co. College / Broad St. Station.  It also comes up on you rather quick around a curve and is easy to overshoot if you're not paying attention (it doesn't help that NJDOT hadn't bothered to replace the missing exit sign - not sure if that's been done recently).  But, it served its purpose and I'll miss it if I have to get to that area again as I would rather not have to deal with McCarter Hwy (21).

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on September 05, 2014, 02:59:41 AM
Why are you telling me any of this???  I am not complaining about the sacrificed ramp.  I just stated that its a downside to the whole thing for whomever uses that exit ramp.  We have had that same situation here in Orlando.  The EB I-4 Anderson Street exit was eliminated for a new ramp to South Street.  The Gore Street exit was eliminated permanently for no other exit and WB South Street was closed as well for whatever reason.

i am all for this project which is long overdue.  I posted it for some of those on here who might find it interesting in which I am sure many on here are finding it to be interesting.  You even said it yourself how substandard that interchange really is, so I imagine that you are relieved that NJDOT has finally gotten around to this project.
Holy shit, I'm not telling YOU this. I'm telling the entire thread. Trust me, you're not that important.

Zeffy

Can anyone tell me what this bridge is? I thought it was the Beesley's Point bridge at first, but if you go into street view on the opposite side (where US 9 rides with the Garden State Parkway), you can see there seems to be work going on there. I can't figure out what else this could be though.

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Zeffy on September 12, 2014, 05:29:29 PM
Can anyone tell me what this bridge is? I thought it was the Beesley's Point bridge at first, but if you go into street view on the opposite side (where US 9 rides with the Garden State Parkway), you can see there seems to be work going on there. I can't figure out what else this could be though.
Yup - that's the Beesley's Point Bridge.  The work you see is the demolition of the bridge.  You can see this work on GSV from the adjacent Garden State Parkway bridge.

CrystalWalrein

And US 9 still hasn't been officially moved onto the Parkway from what I gather, even though Google Maps is showing it along that stretch. Which leads me to wonder if the old portion of US 9 will be kept on by NJDOT and given a new number.

So much for Jeff Van Drew's plans for an emergency corridor back in the day.

Roadrunner75

I haven't been on the stretch of 9 south of the old bridge in about a year or so I think, but looking at GSV (dated October last year), the signage is pretty lousy on 9 north approaching the temporary/permanent detour on CR 623 out to the GSP.  If I recall, there used to be plenty of detour signs, and all I could see now on GSV is a single sign in advance of the signal that the bridge is closed ahead but nothing about the detour of 9.

roadman65

It makes one wonder why NJDOT is dragging their butt on this one.  Its apparent that there is no replacement in sight for the Beeslys Point Bridge, so why not put up permanent signs and get it over with.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

This strikes me as another "permanent temporary setup" a la the Robert Moses state Parkway between Niagara Falls and NY 104.  I wonder if they feel AASHTO might object if they "officially" re-route US 9 (the GSP is toll southbound over the bridge) and they don't want to hear it.

There is a project to replace the SB span of the GSP bridge (including a right shoulder that's the size of two travel lanes) and finally demolish the Beesley's Point Bridge, so maybe some permanent stuff for US 9 SB will come out of it.  I have no idea if there's a project to replace the NB GSP bridge coming up.  There wasn't one on the website.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

No right now the NJTA is replacing only the SB side as it is in worse shape than the NB side.  The Beeslys Point Bridge is part of that project in its removal.

Also, if you noticed the new SB span will feature a sidewalk/bikeway in addition to wider shoulders.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Quote from: vdeane on September 14, 2014, 01:34:33 PM
This strikes me as another "permanent temporary setup" a la the Robert Moses state Parkway between Niagara Falls and NY 104.  I wonder if they feel AASHTO might object if they "officially" re-route US 9 (the GSP is toll southbound over the bridge) and they don't want to hear it.

The Beesley's Point Bridge was a privately owned toll facility with tolls higher than the GSP when it closed. I doubt they would object to a re-route.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on September 14, 2014, 04:15:42 AM
It makes one wonder why NJDOT is dragging their butt on this one.  Its apparent that there is no replacement in sight for the Beeslys Point Bridge, so why not put up permanent signs and get it over with.

NJ does a fairly poor sign of signing roads that haven't changed routing for decades. Who knows when they'll sign this! :-)

Quote from: CrystalWalrein on September 13, 2014, 07:48:48 PM
And US 9 still hasn't been officially moved onto the Parkway from what I gather, even though Google Maps is showing it along that stretch. Which leads me to wonder if the old portion of US 9 will be kept on by NJDOT and given a new number.

Google Maps shows a lot of things that aren't correct, since individuals can make modifications when they wish to do so. 

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 14, 2014, 07:24:23 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 14, 2014, 01:34:33 PM

The Beesley's Point Bridge was a privately owned toll facility with tolls higher than the GSP when it closed. I doubt they would object to a re-route.
I expect the holdup is that NJDOT would not want to permanently designate US 9 over a county route. They would probably want to swap the mileage with the county. This may be a mileage mismatch in that dead-end 9 is longer than the link to the Parkway, and it leaves a dead-end stub at the north side of the bridge. We could see the creation of another 3-digit secret NJ state highway to handle this, but the state is probably anxious to eliminate mileage and costs wherever they can, so they may right now be in the process of slowly getting their ducks in a row before taking action.

NJRoadfan

It wouldn't be a new thing for Cape May County as all of NJ-347 is maintained as CR-670 in Cape May (and Cumberland) County.

J Route Z

Which state highways need to be resurfaced that are not part of the resurfacing program? I think all of NJ 79, NJ 28 in Roselle Park, US 9W, and parts of US 322. 

Mr. Matté

J Route Z

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 15, 2014, 12:15:52 PM
167 and 324.

Route 167 is unsigned and very short. How bad is it?

Roadrunner75

Zeffy

In a move to help fight crime, Newark is installing... happy street signs.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2014/09/poll_do_you_think_happy_street_signs_will_help_reduce_crime_in_newark.html#incart_river

Cute, and very positive, but I don't think hanging a sign with a message like that is going to deter any criminals from committing their crimes. The kids need to get off the streets and families need to not be so cash strapped, that's what would help reduce the crime.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

agentsteel53

yep, you're going to stop violence by contracting out to someone named Killy Kilford.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadrunner75

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 15, 2014, 04:08:58 PM
yep, you're going to stop violence by contracting out to someone named Killy Kilford.
Dammit - Beat me to it.  I'm not sure what's more ridiculous, the entire concept or this statement alone:
"We are really looking forward to working with Killy Kilford to bring Happy Street signs to Newark"

Pete from Boston

It makes me a little sad to think about the perspective of someone born into a cycle of poverty, disinvestment, and crime, who sees their city's answer is cute inspirational messages.

"Stop killing kids, please" would be more to the point and just as ineffective.

Zeffy

What starts as a well-intentioned speed-bump in Jersey City turns into a nightmare for those who drive over it...

http://www.nj.com/news/video/?ndn.trackingGroup=90019&ndn.siteSection=njdotcom_nws_non_fro&ndn.videoId=26831041&freewheel=90019&sitesection=njdotcom_nws_non_fro&vid=26831041

(There's actually no article it seems, so hopefully that works)

In short, because the City cares about it's pedestrians and children, they decided to install a speed bump on a residential street. The problem is, it's not marked, and it's basically sending cars airborne and when they hit the ground they bottom-out. What do you think?

SidS1045

Quote from: Zeffy on September 17, 2014, 10:30:26 AM
What do you think?

The first time a fire engine, on its way to a fire, encounters that speed bump, it'll be gone as soon as they can get a road crew there.

Who goes to bed at night and dreams up these incredibly stupid ideas?
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

freebrickproductions

They should've installed speed bumps like the ones here in Huntsville, AL. People still have to slow down, but firetrucks can go past without having to slow down.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

NJRoadfan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.