News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akotchi

Not familiar with this particular project but having done similar recent ones in the State, there must be some full-depth (asphalt and/or concrete) pavement replacement/repairs in some areas.  Street view in this area shows work areas from a year ago, presumably for the same project.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

2.7 miles is quite long for a cattle chute. Sometimes they're unavoidable, like staged bridge deck repair, but as a work zone designer, one generally seeks to minimize their length both in terms of distance and in terms of time (weeks/months of project). I've driven through the various configurations on Route 80, but my entry/exit points never put me on the mainline when it was down to 1 lane. Anything above about 1/2 mile becomes bothersome in an area like this because of truck traffic, and above about 2 miles goes from bother to burden. I've been on multi-mile one/one work zones in PA, where all traffic is on a single carriageway, but those aren't usually cattle chutes because the median is grassy. For additional perspective, I've never come across a project, whether of my own design or in review, with more than about 1/2 mile of cattle chute.

cl94

I've seen crazy-long cattle chutes in Ohio. One time on I-90 east of Cleveland in recent years, the WB carriageway was split between the right shoulder and a cattle chute on the EB side. Median may have been "grassy", but there were Jersey barriers on both sides with the occasional emergency pull-off due to the median conditions. This went on for at least 5 miles. Ohio uses cattle chutes a lot to maintain all lanes during a full reconstruction, but this was excessive even by their standards.

On a different note, you have the ~17 foot carriageways on the Thruway during full reconstruction, often bounded on both sides by a Jersey barrier. Not a single lane, but it's effectively a cattle chute for the 10 or so miles everyone's forced onto one side. Driving the construction zone west of Syracuse was not a fun experience, especially at night.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mtantillo on December 22, 2014, 03:39:27 PM
So why exactly did they need cattle chutes for a "repaving" project? Something seems fishy about that to me.

Welcome the to the world of NJ newspapers, where the only fishy thing is in the reporting.

If it was a simple repaving project it would be done at night. The majority of the commuters wouldn't even realize much was going on. And it would cost much less.

This is a full depth reconstruction project.

vdeane

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on December 22, 2014, 01:09:01 PM
When should one merge?  At the first sign stating that there is a merging at a certain distance ahead?  Or, at the location where the lane ends and one must merge?  What is most efficient?
Whenever they can move over with so little disruption to traffic that there would be no accident even if their car was completely invisible.

Quote from: cl94 on December 22, 2014, 07:55:13 PM
On a different note, you have the ~17 foot carriageways on the Thruway during full reconstruction, often bounded on both sides by a Jersey barrier. Not a single lane, but it's effectively a cattle chute for the 10 or so miles everyone's forced onto one side. Driving the construction zone west of Syracuse was not a fun experience, especially at night.
That construction zone made me a better driver.  And it was nice that one could still pass slow moving cars/trucks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

When should one merge?  At the first sign stating that there is a merging at a certain distance ahead?  Or, at the location where the lane ends and one must merge?  What is most efficient?
I'll address "what is most efficient": Either way, as long as everyone does it. In the NYC area, everyone merges at the very end. In PA, everyone merges right at the beginning. People from the NYC area then take advantage and zoom past the line and force their way in at the end. In that sense, everyone merging right at the end is ideal because it prevents that behavior - when there is a queue. In free-flow conditions, the opposite is true - move over early to avoid conflicts.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on December 22, 2014, 09:33:35 PM
I'll address "what is most efficient": Either way, as long as everyone does it. In the NYC area, everyone merges at the very end. In PA, everyone merges right at the beginning. People from the NYC area then take advantage and zoom past the line and force their way in at the end. In that sense, everyone merging right at the end is ideal because it prevents that behavior - when there is a queue. In free-flow conditions, the opposite is true - move over early to avoid conflicts.

Agree with the above. As construction zones with a lane drop are rarely free-flow in the northeast, there is usually a queue. Get outside of the northeast and people merge before the end. This isn't a problem if everyone does it, but of course, that's never the case. If everyone merges at the end, 2 shorter queues form. Assuming everyone follows alternate merging, average wait time per vehicle is minimized while keeping the queue as close to the blockage as possible. The problem is that VMSes will occasionally alert one to a closure several miles beforehand and people move over as soon as they see the first sign. The queue stretches back and people take advantage of the empty lane to jump the queue. This behavior reduces capacity along the highway as people will spend more time in a single-file line.

I don't know if PA still does this, but once upon a time, they posted signs that, along with pavement markings, forbade people from changing lanes in the short distance before a lane ended to avoid this behavior.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

NE2

I suppose if you're a goody two shoes and everyone's merging early you should stay in the empty lane but go at the speed of the full lane, then merge at the end.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

At many NJ construction sites, the first "lane ends" sign can often be found just 1500 feet before the lane ends. It's still over 1/4 mile away, so there's still plenty of time, and it keeps the lanes full till near the work zone. (The NJ Turnpike however always announces lane closures about 1 mile in advance)

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2014, 10:12:27 PM
I suppose if you're a goody two shoes and everyone's merging early you should stay in the empty lane but go at the speed of the full lane, then merge at the end.
Two trucks tried to do this in Pennsylvania and left a quarter-mile plus gap in front. I waited until the very end when they could no longer block the shoulder, shot the gap and got that quarter mile ahead.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 22, 2014, 10:42:52 PM
At many NJ construction sites, the first "lane ends" sign can often be found just 1500 feet before the lane ends. It's still over 1/4 mike away, so there's still plenty of time, and it keeps the lanes full till near the work zone. (The NJ Turnpike however always announces lane closures about 1 mile in advance)
The TP- standard drawings are on their website and explain when they use 1 or 2 mile advances.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on December 23, 2014, 12:23:57 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 22, 2014, 10:42:52 PM
At many NJ construction sites, the first "lane ends" sign can often be found just 1500 feet before the lane ends. It's still over 1/4 mike away, so there's still plenty of time, and it keeps the lanes full till near the work zone. (The NJ Turnpike however always announces lane closures about 1 mile in advance)
The TP- standard drawings are on their website and explain when they use 1 or 2 mile advances.

I couldn't remember if they did 2 mile "Left/Right Lane Closed" signs.  At least the times I've traveled, the most I've seen is lane shifts, which are typically announced via electronic sign far in advance.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NJRoadfan

Wonder how long it was up, I was heading south around 11:45.

On a related note, more new cutout shield signs on NJ-18 north around the NJTP interchange.

storm2k

Quote from: Zeffy on December 25, 2014, 08:03:05 PM
How clever...

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2014/12/exit_135_clark_griswold_tricksters_change_clark_westfield_sign_on_gsp.html#incart_river

Even more interesting is the fact that the replaced letters look to use FHWA Series EM.

I thought this was quite clever. Easy enough to do with something like Roadgeek fonts. Glad they went the distance for authentic looking fonts, and not just Arial or something.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: storm2k on December 26, 2014, 12:40:38 AM
I thought this was quite clever. Easy enough to do with something like Roadgeek fonts. Glad they went the distance for authentic looking fonts, and not just Arial or something.

While it's certainly very plausible that they downloaded the fonts, my thought is that they had a shot of another highway sign (such as this one) and used a photo of that to put onto what looks like a long garbage bag.

JREwing78

It's a trending topic on my Facebook page this morning. Pretty cute. ;-)

J Route Z

Isn't that sign going to be replaced anyway? I don't see any sign base mounting in the picture. 

Zeffy

Quote from: J Route Z on December 27, 2014, 11:55:05 AM
Isn't that sign going to be replaced anyway? I don't see any sign base mounting in the picture.

NJTA already replaced it, and they did so rather quickly.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

Quote from: Zeffy on December 27, 2014, 12:17:01 PM

This is usually the way the GSP always mounted their signs on wooden posts.  PennDOT did (I do not know if they still do or not) on the Lehigh Valley Thruway near Allentown- Bethlehem- Easton but used 2 x 4's or 2 x 6's in lumber. 

Back in 1987 when the GSP went MUTCD with their ground mounted signs and their exit tabs (remember the old number only on the top was norm years ago) then started using round fence post lumber to support the signs on the ground.  That is what is used here, even though the GSP still kept the old NJDOT sign supports for years, I am assuming that the original One mile NB exit to Exit 135 was destroyed sometime after I moved out of Clark (yes I lived in this township and went to middle school just across the Parkway from this sign) as it was there I think as of 1987.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 26, 2014, 01:02:11 AM
Quote from: storm2k on December 26, 2014, 12:40:38 AM
I thought (defacing the GSP Exit 135 sign) was quite clever. Easy enough to do with something like Roadgeek fonts. Glad they went the distance for authentic looking fonts, and not just Arial or something.

While it's certainly very plausible that they downloaded the fonts, my thought is that they had a shot of another highway sign (such as this one) and used a photo of that to put onto what looks like a long garbage bag.

Too bad I've never been a National Lampoon connesur (I can NEVER spell that word right).  I'd appreciate the gag more.

In the early '70s on PA 252 near Media, there was a "Right Turn Keep Moving" sign for NB traffic (headed towards Newtown Square) at a fork on that route.  Somebody covered "Moving" with a sticker saying "On Truckin'".  Somewhere Eddie Kendricks is smiling.  Maybe even Jerry Garcia.

ixnay

ixnay

Just the sign, or did they put in a new sign with sign bases?  Wonder how long they deliberated on that?  What would've the long term consequences be for GSP users if the alteration had been let up for a few days?   Obviously no sense of humor at the NJTA.

ixnay

Mr. Matté

Quote from: ixnay on December 27, 2014, 05:01:26 PM

What would've the long term consequences be for GSP users if the alteration had been let up for a few days?   Obviously no sense of humor at the NJTA.

With the exception of the I-5 north thing in LA, when has any DOT or agency intentionally left up sign vandalism? The liability of having an incorrect or damaged sign is probably more than the cost of sending someone out to take it down.

ixnay

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 27, 2014, 05:49:42 PM
Quote from: ixnay on December 27, 2014, 05:01:26 PM

What would've the long term consequences be for GSP users if the alteration had been let up for a few days?   Obviously no sense of humor at the NJTA.

With the exception of the I-5 north thing in LA, when has any DOT or agency intentionally left up sign vandalism? The liability of having an incorrect or damaged sign is probably more than the cost of sending someone out to take it down.

That's an understatement. (blush) I recant my accusation of the NJTA lacking humor.  Good quick action on their part.

ixnay

Roadrunner75

New Jersey Monthly's January issue has "Why NJ Roads Suck" as their cover article, including a Top 20 of worst "traffic nightmares" in the state, and a discussion of the trust fund, our friend the jughandle, etc.  For the "Top" list, the GSP between the Union and Essex tolls was #1.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.