News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner75

Article on NJ.com with a list of NJ road projects for 2015:
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/01/20_road_construction_projects_that_will_affect_nj_drivers_in_2015.html

Regarding the earlier posts about Al-Jo's (the curve), here is an article with a picture:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-blinq/Al-Jos-The-club-that-gave-the-curve-its-name.html
This is pretty much the way I remember it, with the big roof sign.

jeffandnicole

NE2 beat you with the posting of the article...

Quote from: NE2 on December 31, 2014, 03:48:09 PM
Quote from: ixnay on December 31, 2014, 03:45:40 PM
Can any South Jerseyans tell us where Al-Jo's was, so that it can be pinpointed on Google satellite?
Apparently the Goog is a South Jerseyan: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-blinq/Al-Jos-The-club-that-gave-the-curve-its-name.html
QuoteClub Al-Jo, the sign for which was visible from what's long been called the Al-Jo curve, closed some 20 years ago. Its West Kings Highway site has been occupied by the John D. West Senior Center, a 74-unit housing complex, since 2004.

And the question was, where was it, not what did it look like.  The picture of the building from 3 decades ago won't help in locating that spot today!  As I responded earlier,  It's the grey roof building in the center of this: http://goo.gl/maps/gEc66

[/quote]

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 05, 2015, 06:33:37 AM
NE2 beat you with the posting of the article...

Quote from: NE2 on December 31, 2014, 03:48:09 PM
Quote from: ixnay on December 31, 2014, 03:45:40 PM
Can any South Jerseyans tell us where Al-Jo's was, so that it can be pinpointed on Google satellite?
Apparently the Goog is a South Jerseyan: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-blinq/Al-Jos-The-club-that-gave-the-curve-its-name.html
QuoteClub Al-Jo, the sign for which was visible from what's long been called the Al-Jo curve, closed some 20 years ago. Its West Kings Highway site has been occupied by the John D. West Senior Center, a 74-unit housing complex, since 2004.

And the question was, where was it, not what did it look like.  The picture of the building from 3 decades ago won't help in locating that spot today!  As I responded earlier,  It's the grey roof building in the center of this: http://goo.gl/maps/gEc66
Not trying to answer the question, as you already commented on the location and I'm well aware of the spot as well.  Didn't see the earlier posted link, so just trying to put a photo of the old club to show the roof sign that got the curve its name.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: storm2k on December 30, 2014, 01:56:33 AM
Grabbed a couple of pics heading SB on 287 near Exit 14 of the changes in signage related to this exit. They really did just update the 1994 signs with new tabs and changed around the button copy to change the control city from New York to Newark (which is what it always should have been, since that's where 22 ends).

The 1994 signs are likely a carbon copy of what the previous signs said. Remember that I-78 didn't actually go to New York City until 1986 when the Watchung Reservation segment was completed. Now I'm wondering, what did the exit for I-78 east use as a control city before 1986?

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 06, 2015, 05:44:01 PM
Quote from: storm2k on December 30, 2014, 01:56:33 AM
Grabbed a couple of pics heading SB on 287 near Exit 14 of the changes in signage related to this exit. They really did just update the 1994 signs with new tabs and changed around the button copy to change the control city from New York to Newark (which is what it always should have been, since that's where 22 ends).

The 1994 signs are likely a carbon copy of what the previous signs said. Remember that I-78 didn't actually go to New York City until 1986 when the Watchung Reservation segment was completed. Now I'm wondering, what did the exit for I-78 east use as a control city before 1986?

They were those experimental diagramatic signs that existed between Rt 1 and Rt 22. I don't remember the control cities at this point unfortunately.

jeffandnicole

For those unfamiliar with I-76 in NJ, near Philly, this doesn't belong in the left lane!  :sombrero: Apparently a truck had 2 of these, and was a bit too high for the Browning Rd overpass where 295 & 76 meet. The overpass clearance is a bit on the low side: 13', 11", but the truck should have been checked to verify its load was under the 13' 6" limit.

(Photo Credit: NJ State Police: https://www.facebook.com/NewJerseyStatePolice/photos/a.608860989168447.1073741830.102867543101130/771612482893296/?type=1&theater )

roadman65

Local Traffic and Mount Bethel was used for I-78 Eastbound on I-287 before February 1986.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on December 07, 2014, 08:56:22 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on December 07, 2014, 07:11:34 PM
I was under the impression that NJDOT has not officially adopted use of the Clearview font. 

The above-example as well as some of the newer BGS' along I-676 in Camden are either one-offs or experimental applications of the font.
NJDOT has not. I don't know where these signs may be coming from.

Here's another NJ Clearview sign on 295 South that was installed Wednesday (1/7).  (On a side note, look at the coating of salt on the shoulder, not to mention the windshield!). 

And what's a bit interesting: There's there's only been one sign replacement per interchange.  Usually a sign replacement project would replace all the signs.  The signs that have been replaced are all ground-mounted signs, not the overhead signs.  But again, only one - a similar ground-mounted sign going on the opposite direction hasn't been touched.  And at least from my view, the signs appeared to be in good shape - they definitely weren't worn or otherwise visually unattractive.

So...not sure what you can take from that Steve.

NJRoadfan

What isn't wrong with that sign? YUCK! I'm sure it will make the FHWA's "Clearview done wrong" wall of shame. I'm surprised the shield isn't Clearview either. I'd write to NJDOT and complain, its that horrible.

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 08, 2015, 06:56:25 PM

Here's another NJ Clearview sign on 295 South that was installed Wednesday (1/7).  (On a side note, look at the coating of salt on the shoulder, not to mention the windshield!). 

And what's a bit interesting: There's there's only been one sign replacement per interchange.  Usually a sign replacement project would replace all the signs.  The signs that have been replaced are all ground-mounted signs, not the overhead signs.  But again, only one - a similar ground-mounted sign going on the opposite direction hasn't been touched.  And at least from my view, the signs appeared to be in good shape - they definitely weren't worn or otherwise visually unattractive.

the sign it replaced was in good shape, unless it was damaged in the week prior.

Zeffy

Something about the destination legend looks off. Like.. at first glance it looked more like Arial/Helvetica more than Clearview 5-W. Whatever it may be, the sign replacements in Clearview needs to die. Immediately.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

storm2k

that sign is pretty atrocious. alps has stated that nj does not use clearview (and new signage on 22 and 18, for example, are in standard highway gothic). this looks like a major contractor fuck up if you asked me.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: odditude on January 09, 2015, 12:06:44 AM

the sign it replaced was in good shape, unless it was damaged in the week prior.

It was in good shape the day prior!

PHLBOS

What's also worth noting is that the BGS that this one replaced and the other BGS' still remaining at this interchange were one of the last BGS' to have button-copy lettering. 

Interestingly, shortly after these BGS' were erected (which are original due to this stretch being the newest part of I-295 to open); many of the BGS' along I-295 south of this interchange were replaced with non-button-copy signage.

Clearview aside, it seems that NJDOT can't make up its mind as towards using Series D or C numerals for its 3-digit US & NJ shields.  General rule of thumb is if at least one of the digits in the route number contains a "1", then using Series D is appropriate; otherwise use Series C.

The old BGS' rightly (IMHO) used Series D for the US 130 shield whereas this new installation uses Series C.  Oh well, at least the numerals in the US 130 shield weren't in Clearview.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 09, 2015, 08:37:52 AM
What's also worth noting is that the BGS that this one replaced and the other BGS' still remaining at this interchange were one of the last BGS' to have button-copy lettering. 

The newer sections of Rt. 55 have plenty of button copy signage as well, and those signs are approaching 25-30 years of age.  (Sad when I still call it the new section, and we're talking stuff built in the 80's) Numerous other signs throughout the state that escaped various sign replacement programs and continue with button copy as well.

jeffandnicole

A new bill will attempt to have yellow lights timed to meet the 85th percentile speed, not the speed limit, to make intersections safer.  Currently, I believe it can be either/or.  This is somewhat in response to the red light traffic camera program, which ended in December.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/01/bill_to_extend_yellow_light_time_could_make_red_li.html#incart_m-rpt-1

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 09, 2015, 10:00:29 AMThe newer sections of Rt. 55 have plenty of button copy signage as well, and those signs are approaching 25-30 years of age.  (Sad when I still call it the new section, and we're talking stuff built in the 80's)
The original BGS' along I-295 between US 130 and I-195/NJ 29 are from the early-to-mid 1990s.

Addtionally, the button-copy BGS' along NJ 38 & 70 in Pennsauken/Cherry Hill are also 90s-vintage as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Is there documentation required, or does the ticketed motorist have to go out there and time the light, find the traffic study, and do the math him/herself?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 09, 2015, 10:05:59 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 09, 2015, 10:00:29 AMThe newer sections of Rt. 55 have plenty of button copy signage as well, and those signs are approaching 25-30 years of age.  (Sad when I still call it the new section, and we're talking stuff built in the 80's)
The original BGS' along I-295 between US 130 and I-195/NJ 29 are from the early-to-mid 1990s.

The ones approaching Rt. 29/195 had already been replaced around 2010, so the only original signage that remains are the BGSs approaching Rt. 130 (Exit 57) and the BBSs for the Scenic View pulloff area.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 09, 2015, 10:10:54 AM

The ones approaching Rt. 29/195 had already been replaced around 2010, so the only original signage that remains are the BGSs approaching Rt. 130 (Exit 57) and the BBSs for the Scenic View pulloff area.
Unless it was recently replaced, the 90s-vintage northbound I-295 button-copy pull-through (listing Princeton) at I-195/NJ 29 also remains.  At least it was there prior to last Christmas.

The Exit 60B BGS (for NJ 29) along I-295 southbound still appears to be 90s-vintage button-copy as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 09, 2015, 10:15:09 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 09, 2015, 10:10:54 AM

Unless it was recently replaced, the 90s-vintage northbound I-295 button-copy pull-through (listing Princeton) at I-195/NJ 29 also remains.  At least it was there prior to last Christmas.

So it is!  And I know that's not the original sign either.   Well, it could be, and the '3 Left Lane' was added at a later point, or the sign was replaced and button copy still used.  But I know that 3 Left Lane plate wasn't originally there when I started commuting up here in 1998.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 09, 2015, 10:35:57 AMSo it is!  And I know that's not the original sign either.   Well, it could be, and the '3 Left Lane' was added at a later point, or the sign was replaced and button copy still used.  But I know that 3 Left Lane plate wasn't originally there when I started commuting up here in 1998.
Correct, the yellow 3 LEFT LANE placard was added later to the original BGS.  IIRC, the original legend (in button-copy lettering) that the placard replaced read STRAIGHT AHEAD.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

Don't forget the multiple button copy signs remaining in the Princeton area on US 1.  AFAIK, there's still a good amount of button copy (not non-reflective for the most part, but button copy nonetheless) in the state. What I want to know is why these sign replacements are happening in the Trenton area, but nowhere else. As storm2k pointed out, the signs on 22 in my area are still using Highway Gothic, and with Steve's experience in NJDOT, I'd have to believe that this whole ordeal is just a huge contractor fuck up. I don't understand why they are replacing the signs anyway - all of them were still perfectly legible, considering I'm in that area (295/195) at least once a week.

EDIT: Also, this was the original. Unless something happened where the sign got pwnt or something, there was NO way it needed a replacement. Not by a long shot. This sign still had 10+ years before that needed to happen: http://goo.gl/maps/pdXCq
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on January 09, 2015, 10:56:07 AM
Zeffy, the point I was originally trying to convey was that the original signage along that particular stretch of I-295 is/was one of the later if not final NJDOT signage with button-copy lettering erected during the 1990s not the only ones.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 09, 2015, 10:01:57 AM
A new bill will attempt to have yellow lights timed to meet the 85th percentile speed, not the speed limit, to make intersections safer.  Currently, I believe it can be either/or.  This is somewhat in response to the red light traffic camera program, which ended in December.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/01/bill_to_extend_yellow_light_time_could_make_red_li.html#incart_m-rpt-1

IMO that should be a MUTCD requirement.

(On a side note, look at the coating of salt on the shoulder, not to mention the windshield!). 
Looks like a typical NY highway this time of year aside from the sign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.