News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Speaking of lack of empathy, how about being oblivious that most young people in the United States do NOT have free college options like CUNY and either their parents must pay a lot or they must take on a lot of debt, and that debt in that case may not be such a bad decision.

skluth

Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2022, 10:31:16 PM
He hasn't posted in his thread dedicated to him since the third of the month. He got my serious thread locked already. He was posting regularly in the thread about two digits being removed.

I don't know what's up with him.

It's not unusual for trolls to retreat back to their safe place under the bridge or down mom's basement.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on December 12, 2022, 10:44:24 PM
Speaking of lack of empathy, how about being oblivious that most young people in the United States do NOT have free college options like CUNY and either their parents must pay a lot or they must take on a lot of debt, and that debt in that case may not be such a bad decision.

The GI Bill was my initial plan to get around that.  My brother was the one who convinced me to give Phoenix a try for a year first.  Just so happened 9/11 happened in said year and the military became a lot more uncertain.  Fortunately I more or less has gotten into what I do now by then and had a stable enough income by 2004 to pay for community college courses.  I did briefly consider enlisting again during 2010 when I found that I was going to be laid off during 2011.  I ended find a district security manager job instead after about a full year of searching and stuck with what I was doing career wise. 

Quote from: skluth on December 12, 2022, 10:46:02 PM
He hasn't posted in his thread dedicated to him since the third of the month. He got my serious thread locked already. He was posting regularly in the thread about two digits being removed.

It's not unusual for trolls to retreat back to their safe place under the bridge or down mom's basement.

Perhaps a parental figure advised him that claiming Gen-Z workplace plight doesn't exactly jive with 29k in cash on hand.  One sure could buy a lot of rollercoaster tickets with 29k in cash. 

signalman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2022, 09:58:58 PM
Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 12, 2022, 09:56:32 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2022, 09:39:11 PM
Did MMM come back on today to delete his last couple posts in this thread?  Seems like he missed the fact that some of us already quoted his more choice statements.

A few hours ago, I saw that his post count was down to 1000 on the spot. Yesterday it was around 1002.

I guess he didn't get the sympathy he was looking for. 
He could try looking in the dictionary between the words sex and syphilis.

roadman65

I got a couple DMs from the guy. He seems to be frightened by a moderator on here.  So he is laying low. 

I don't know which one, but Bugo once said all the mods are transparent and we all know which moderator is going act on which user, lock what topic, and moderate which specific individual.  I have my suspicions but in this case the young user is asking for it as he reacts way too much over common criticism which raises his posts.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on December 13, 2022, 04:28:38 AM

I got a couple DMs from the guy. He seems to be frightened by a moderator on here.  So he is laying low. 

I don't know which one, but Bugo once said all the mods are transparent and we all know which moderator is going act on which user, lock what topic, and moderate which specific individual.  I have my suspicions but in this case the young user is asking for it as he reacts way too much over common criticism which raises his posts.

That makes it sound like we assign individual moderators to individual users to watch over. Which is sort of hilarious, knowing just how disorganized we actually are. There's really nothing more to it than whoever gets to it first gets to be the one who decides what to do. If it happens after midnight, that's usually me. Otherwise it could be anyone.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

Well there is one troll on here that seems to never have action taken by a specific moderator. This troll who shall be name less has been suspended multiple times for crossing the political line, but it's always the same MOD that catches him, but another moderator, who coincidentally went to school with the aforementioned troll and established a personal relationship with him, will never be the one to act.

Not saying that it's total nepotism but there are some that will ignore outbursts from personal friends off the forum and hope another moderator will catch them.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Hang on, if someone has a personal relationship with a particular person, shouldn't they not moderate that person, to prevent the appearance of a conflict of interest? (Obviously, if moderation is needed, someone else should do it, but not the person who's a close friend of that person.)

Any time I've gotten a bit too snarky in a thread and it starts heading downhill, I'll give a heads-up to someone else to look at it because I don't want to give the appearance I'm trying to get the last word by locking the thread. Sometimes my posts get deleted just like anyone else's would.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on December 13, 2022, 07:30:19 AM
Well there is one troll on here that seems to never have action taken by a specific moderator. This troll who shall be name less has been suspended multiple times for crossing the political line, but it's always the same MOD that catches him, but another moderator, who coincidentally went to school with the aforementioned troll and established a personal relationship with him, will never be the one to act.

Not saying that it's total nepotism but there are some that will ignore outbursts from personal friends off the forum and hope another moderator will catch them.

The person you are referring to was once banned for a month for changing one letter of a moderator's real name into something offensive.
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

LilianaUwU

Anyone is mildly bothered by soggy cereals? (Look, I gotta lighten up the mood somehow.)
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

vdeane

Did MMM come back on today to delete his last couple posts in this thread?  Seems like he missed the fact that some of us already quoted his more choice statements.

A few hours ago, I saw that his post count was down to 1000 on the spot. Yesterday it was around 1002.
Didn't he once post that he would slow down with posting once he got to 1000 and even delete older posts in order to maintain a post count at 1000?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on December 13, 2022, 12:56:17 PM

Didn't he once post that he would slow down with posting once he got to 1000 and even delete older posts in order to maintain a post count at 1000?

He did say that. However, I'm under an NDA as to another reason why his posting rate has slowed.
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

skluth

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 13, 2022, 12:38:28 PM
Anyone is mildly bothered by soggy cereals? (Look, I gotta lighten up the mood somehow.)

I'm more than mildly bothered. I would only eat dry cereal when I was growing up. I always had my cereal with a glass of milk (I did grow up in Wisconsin) but I hated how milk added to cereal would both make cereal soggy and the sugar in cereal would render that milk undrinkable for me. The milk also turned an unappetizing shit brown if I had Cocoa Krispies, one of my favorites though my mom rarely bought it. These days my breakfast is usually a bagel with cream cheese, OJ, and coffee so soggy cereal isn't a problem. 

Hunty2022

Milk ≠ Cereal
Liquids ≠ Cereal

Cereal is better dry.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 13, 2022, 06:41:53 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 13, 2022, 04:28:38 AM

That makes it sound like we assign individual moderators to individual users to watch over. Which is sort of hilarious, knowing just how disorganized we actually are. There's really nothing more to it than whoever gets to it first gets to be the one who decides what to do. If it happens after midnight, that's usually me. Otherwise it could be anyone.

They're all assigned to monitor me.  :bigass:

I've noticed that Scott is generally more apt to address and engage with those showing troll-ish behavior without the use of purple text, than are the other mods.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 13, 2022, 01:03:54 PM
Milk ≠ Cereal
Liquids ≠ Cereal

Agreed.  Milk is not cereal, and liquids are not cereal.

I do, however, like milk on my cereal, and I prefer that it be slightly soggy.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hunty2022

Quote from: kphoger on December 13, 2022, 02:43:11 PM
Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 13, 2022, 01:03:54 PM
Milk ≠ Cereal
Liquids ≠ Cereal

Agreed.  Milk is not cereal, and liquids are not cereal.

I do, however, like milk on my cereal, and I prefer that it be slightly soggy.

There's only some cereals that are good with milk on it. But, most cereals are bad with milk.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

webny99

Quote from: 1 on December 13, 2022, 12:58:42 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 13, 2022, 12:56:17 PM

He did say that. However, I'm under an NDA as to another reason why his posting rate has slowed.

Without you disclosing it, my strong suspicion is that he's on a warning level where his posts are being monitored and require moderator approval. I had to do that once and it was no fun. I could still contribute, but there was a time delay, and low-quality/spam type posts are rejected. (I found this out by intentionally submitting a single low-quality post.)

Suffice to say, I learned my lesson, and hopefully sharing it isn't a problem...

signalman

Quote from: skluth on December 13, 2022, 12:58:54 PM

I'm more than mildly bothered. I would only eat dry cereal when I was growing up. I always had my cereal with a glass of milk (I did grow up in Wisconsin) but I hated how milk added to cereal would both make cereal soggy and the sugar in cereal would render that milk undrinkable for me. The milk also turned an unappetizing shit brown if I had Cocoa Krispies, one of my favorites though my mom rarely bought it. These days my breakfast is usually a bagel with cream cheese, OJ, and coffee so soggy cereal isn't a problem. 
I love soggy cereal. I know that it's abnormal but whatever, I'm eating it. The way I prepare cereal is put it in a bowl, add milk and then ignore it for 10 minutes. A coworker watched me do this once (it was available recently in the break room as a treat) and said "dude, that's gross" My response was "no one asked or told YOU to eat it that way"

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on December 13, 2022, 02:43:11 PM
I prefer that it be slightly soggy.

Quote from: signalman on December 13, 2022, 05:13:23 PM
The way I prepare cereal is put it in a bowl, add milk and then ignore it for 10 minutes.

OK, now ten minutes is maybe too much.  One minute is plenty for me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

hbelkins

I love dry Cheerios (or a store-brand equivalent) and the sugar-coated puffed rice (I think the Kellogg's brand is Sugar Smacks, but I'm not sure).

For crisped rice and corn flakes, I want milk (but no sugar) in them. I can also eat Cheerios with milk. But I don't want any sugar in my cereal

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

I start eating cold cereal immediately after I pour the milk--I like to get the crunch before it fades.  The only cereals I typically eat dry are oversweetened ones I think of as vice foods, like Froot Loops.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kkt

I put some milk on my bran flakes.  The flakes at the bottom get a bit soggy and I like the mix of crunchy ones on top and soggy ones on the bottom.

GaryV

Without milk, you don't get Snap, Crackle, Pop

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.