News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Photos from April 21st along I-81 NB/VA 100 NB at VA 99/SR F047 (Exits 94A-B):  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10220259468317379&set=a.10220259629721414)

So we go from Service Road to an Old Route 100 reference

Back to Service Road

May as well do the VA 99 NB Exit while I am at it.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

The first phase of the Powhite Parkway (VA 76) extension into southwestern Chesterfield County appears to now be funded:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/05/30/chesterfield-board-oks-bond-issuance-to-fund-powhite-extension-other-road-projects/

Granted, the first phase doesn't really go very far - it stretches from the current terminus westward to SR 668 Woolridge Road north of Swift Creek Reservoir (which itself is being extended to connect to an orphaned piece of SR 668 near Midlothian, which currently ends at VA 288). It is still under design, and the second phase to actually extend VA 76 to US 360 is still unfunded.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

^I want to be more intrigued by the extension of Nash Rd (SR 636), but outside of maybe relieving the VA 10/SR 655 (Beach Rd/Lori Rd) intersection some, I question how useful it will be.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 30, 2024, 02:23:12 PM^I want to be more intrigued by the extension of Nash Rd (SR 636), but outside of maybe relieving the VA 10/SR 655 (Beach Rd/Lori Rd) intersection some, I question how useful it will be.

That's its exact purpose, but I don't know how effective it'll be. The only real effect will be just adding a signal to VA 10.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

sprjus4

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 30, 2024, 01:48:56 PMThe first phase of the Powhite Parkway (VA 76) extension into southwestern Chesterfield County appears to now be funded:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/05/30/chesterfield-board-oks-bond-issuance-to-fund-powhite-extension-other-road-projects/

Granted, the first phase doesn't really go very far - it stretches from the current terminus westward to SR 668 Woolridge Road north of Swift Creek Reservoir (which itself is being extended to connect to an orphaned piece of SR 668 near Midlothian, which currently ends at VA 288). It is still under design, and the second phase to actually extend VA 76 to US 360 is still unfunded.
The first phase appears to construct only about a mile of new roadway, but will also construct an interchange at Charter Colony Parkway and overpasses at Brandermill Parkway and Watermill Parkway, which are all currently at-grade intersections.

This first phase would mean that the Powhite Parkway would extend west of VA-288 as a full freeway for 3 miles. And it does not appear this portion will be tolled unlike east of VA-288 is.

This seems small, but this nearly $200 million project will get the ball rolling for eventual extension through Magnolia Green and all the way to US-360 in the near future hopefully.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 30, 2024, 10:27:23 PMThis seems small, but this nearly $200 million project will get the ball rolling for eventual extension through Magnolia Green and all the way to US-360 in the near future hopefully.

I sure hope so, because US 360 is a traffic nightmare between Woodlake and VA 288 despite being 8-laned for most of that stretch. The fact that this segment is finally funded gives me hope that it'll get done in my lifetime.  :-D
Will Weaver

WillWeaverRVA

The old, and infamously now erroneous US 1 overheads in Fredericksburg will soon be no more, as they are being removed as part of a project to improve the Falmouth Bridge next month.

https://x.com/VaDOTFRED/status/1796557646725525663
Will Weaver

Hunty2022

I may try to plan a trip out there to see them myself before they get removed.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

1995hoo

BOOOOOOO. Accurate or no, VDOT doesn't make nice-looking signs like that anymore. The state route shield, in particular, has morphed into a rounded blob.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

They were out surveying this morning in connection to this.

I believe this is the oldest BGS in Virginia currently.  Also curious if they will replace it with an accurate BGS or just rely on surface signage and the small accurate BGS on the other side of the bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.