News:

The server restarts at 2 AM daily. This results in a short period of downtime, so if you get a 502 error at that time, that is why.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

No NC 192 markers on Google Maps yet.


bob7374

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 31, 2026, 04:20:12 PM
Quote from: yadkinv on August 31, 2026, 03:12:20 PMMy point now is that upgrading the orphened part only to be signed NC 192 (2.16 miles or less) by fixing the shoulders would require only petty cash and very little time allowing a needed Interstate connector.
It's probably less than a mile that actually needs upgrading... close to 1.7 miles of soon-to-be NC-192 was already upgraded and widened apart of the I-74 interchange connector construction. And the part they did upgrade has full shoulders.
Perhaps the preference for a state designation for 'Old I-74' is due to the I-40 ramps. If they are substandard then, unlike the shoulder work, there could be some considerable costs involved in upgrading them. It is also interesting to me that they have spent time and money so far on upgrading the shoulders of what will be NC 192 but not on the substandard shoulders on I-74 east of the Beltway interchange which they promised the FHWA they would upgrade to interstate standards to keep the interstate signed after the 'mistake' was revealed.

brian440i

Is their a way to track when NC DOT plans to repave the 6 Miles of original US311 signed as I74 between Union Cross Rd and Main Street that has the Sub-Standard Shoulders.

It does not appear in the 2026 - 2035 STIP:  NC DOT 2026 STIP

When they promised FHWA had it not just been repaved?  Looking at Google Maps... repaving should be in a couple of years... maybe sooner if the New I-74 actually shifts any truck traffic off I40 through Greensboro during Rush Hour to get to I-85 and points east.

sturmde

Quote from: brian440i on September 01, 2026, 07:57:42 AMIs their a way to track when NC DOT plans to repave the 6 Miles of original US311 signed as I74 between Union Cross Rd and Main Street that has the Sub-Standard Shoulders.

It does not appear in the 2026 - 2035 STIP:  NC DOT 2026 STIP

When they promised FHWA had it not just been repaved?  Looking at Google Maps... repaving should be in a couple of years... maybe sooner if the New I-74 actually shifts any truck traffic off I40 through Greensboro during Rush Hour to get to I-85 and points east.


Wouldn't truck traffic be taking US 421/I-73 south around G-bo to I-85... literally NCDOT's original plan for I-40?

Strider

Quote from: brian440i on September 01, 2026, 07:57:42 AMIs their a way to track when NC DOT plans to repave the 6 Miles of original US311 signed as I74 between Union Cross Rd and Main Street that has the Sub-Standard Shoulders.

It does not appear in the 2026 - 2035 STIP:  NC DOT 2026 STIP

When they promised FHWA had it not just been repaved?  Looking at Google Maps... repaving should be in a couple of years... maybe sooner if the New I-74 actually shifts any truck traffic off I40 through Greensboro during Rush Hour to get to I-85 and points east.


Wouldn't work. I-74 goes southeast towards H-P and meets with I-73 south of Greensboro. Truck traffic will always use US-421 heading to Greensboro (meeting with I-40 and then I-73 to reach I-85) and points east. Rush Hour will still exist.

Now, if trucks are going to I-95 or points south, that will work since I-73/I-74 Rockingham bypass is already open.

bob7374

NCDOT press release about upcoming US 74/Creek Road overpass project officially reveals completion of NC 72/130 interchange project and exit number, 223:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2026/2026-09-02-creek-road-overpass-project.aspx

Creek Road will be closed during the 2 years to it takes to complete the overpass.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: sturmde on September 01, 2026, 04:45:53 PMWouldn't truck traffic be taking US 421/I-73 south around G-bo to I-85... literally NCDOT's original plan for I-40?

Not sure exactly what you are thinking here, but truck traffic had already been using a number of bypasses around Greensboro:

  • Asheville -to- Salisbury:  I-40//I-285
  • Asheville -to- High Point/Asheboro:  I-40//I-74 (via future NC-194)
  • Asheville -to- Siler City:  I-40//I-73 -and- US-421
  • Wytheville -to- Salisbury:  I-77 -and- US-52//I-285
  • Wytheville -to- High Point/Asheboro:  I-77 -and- US-52//I-40//I-74 (via future NC-194)
  • Wytheville -to- Siler City:  I-77 -and- US-52//US-421 -and- I-40//I-73 -and- US-421

The last item on the list has already been improved with the northern section of the I-74 Winston-Salem Northern Beltway.  The one before that will be improved when the Northern Beltway is completed soon.  During rush hour, it is likely that Northern Beltway will also see some of the traffic headed towards Salisbury from Wytheville during rush hour (but GPS will still want to route everybody down US-52/I-285).

Only the traffic to Siler City (and points east such as Pittsboro, Sanford and Fayetteville) use the southern portion of the Greensboro Urban Loop (I-73/US-421), which indeed was originally posted as I-40.  But all of that traffic should continue to use the same route as it uses today.

bob7374

The latest trucker video by 4K Drive Tours travels from Camp Creek, WV to Kernersville, and through the I-74 in NC corridor starting at about the 2 hour mark. The video confirms that no I-74 related mile markers or exit number has appeared on its concurrency with I-77 (it would appear now for good), the road construction on US 52 in Stokes County that is widening the shoulders is nearly finished, and that all reassurance markers, except 1 after the US 311 exit, and mile markers now have I-74 shields on the open portion of the Beltway. Now less than 2 weeks until the last section is completed east of US 421 (the updated signs for that exit are to be put up later this week according to NCDOT's traffic site):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEsyyX4jTQ4

Dirt Roads

There is still an NC-74 reassurance sign on the Northern Beltway portion (eastbound, just past the US-311 overpass IIRC).

bob7374

Looks like the final preparations are being made for the opening of the last segment of the I-74 Winston-Salem Northern Beltway on Saturday, Sept. 19. Last night the right lane was closed on I-40 East approaching the current I-74 East exit presumably to update the signage to say NC 192. An advisory has appeared on the NCDOT Real Time Traffic site for US 421 in both directions at the Beltway interchange for tonight, here's the US 421 South advisory:
Maintenance on US-421 Southbound in Forsyth County from mile marker 228 to mile marker 226. 1 Right lane closed. Id: 8152
Comment
The right lane will be closed from 7pm to 12am for pavement marking
Start Time   Sep 17 2026, 7:00 PM Anticipated End Time   Sep 18 2026, 12:00 AM

PColumbus73

If it's open by Thanksgiving, I'll give it a try.

bob7374

#2336
NCDOT confirmation that the new sections are to open tomorrow (9/19):
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2026/2026-09-18-new-winston-salem-northern-beltway-sections-set-to-open.aspx

Here's a brief news report with some sign images:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1IJ12S3Gzc

bob7374

The last sections of the Beltway are now open!

ccurley100

I drove the new section of I-74 and NC 192 on Saturday and took pics. https://photos.app.goo.gl/gVBPwYhVXUbZtj968

MBHockey13

Waze didn't want me to use the new section from I-40 West to existing I-74 even though it showed it open. Then it wanted me to use NC-192 to I-74 on I-40 West instead of taking I-74 East. Then when I took the exit it still wanted me to take I-74 WEST to the next exit then get back on. But when I finally got past all that it showed me saving 2 minutes over Union Cross Rd. and I definitely did. I saved both the two minutes and avoided 7 lights and annoying traffic that wants to clog both lanes and NOT go 50 MPH on Union Cross - all with almost no one else on the road and all at at 65 MPH speed limit. What a nice morning.

bob7374

Looks like construction on the Creek Road grade separation project along US 74 in Robeson County will begin next Monday, 8/28 and work will last until August 2028, based on text of this upcoming construction advisory on the NCDOT Real Traffic site:
"Construction on US 74 Both Directions in Robeson County from mile marker 221 to mile marker 220.
All Lanes Affected. Id: 8054
Start Time   Sep 28 2026, 7:00 AM
Anticipated End Time   Aug 28 2028, 7:00 AM
Recurrence   Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: Active all day"

bob7374

Quote from: MBHockey13 on September 21, 2026, 11:18:46 AMWaze didn't want me to use the new section from I-40 West to existing I-74 even though it showed it open. Then it wanted me to use NC-192 to I-74 on I-40 West instead of taking I-74 East. Then when I took the exit it still wanted me to take I-74 WEST to the next exit then get back on. But when I finally got past all that it showed me saving 2 minutes over Union Cross Rd. and I definitely did. I saved both the two minutes and avoided 7 lights and annoying traffic that wants to clog both lanes and NOT go 50 MPH on Union Cross - all with almost no one else on the road and all at at 65 MPH speed limit. What a nice morning.
I assume more traffic will use the new section of the Beltway when word spreads. I watched the traffic camera along US 421 South at the I-74 East ramp for a couple minutes this morning. I counted 54 cars, 52 of which stayed on US 421. No cars were seen driving the ramp from I-74 East to US 421 North.

MBHockey13

Quote from: bob7374 on September 21, 2026, 12:51:54 PM
Quote from: MBHockey13 on September 21, 2026, 11:18:46 AMWaze didn't want me to use the new section from I-40 West to existing I-74 even though it showed it open. Then it wanted me to use NC-192 to I-74 on I-40 West instead of taking I-74 East. Then when I took the exit it still wanted me to take I-74 WEST to the next exit then get back on. But when I finally got past all that it showed me saving 2 minutes over Union Cross Rd. and I definitely did. I saved both the two minutes and avoided 7 lights and annoying traffic that wants to clog both lanes and NOT go 50 MPH on Union Cross - all with almost no one else on the road and all at at 65 MPH speed limit. What a nice morning.
I assume more traffic will use the new section of the Beltway when word spreads. I watched the traffic camera along US 421 South at the I-74 East ramp for a couple minutes this morning. I counted 54 cars, 52 of which stayed on US 421. No cars were seen driving the ramp from I-74 East to US 421 North.


I took it again for lunch - it opens up a whole new world. NC-192 is now labeled correctly on Waze. Traffic is admittedly slow but there are cars. I was wondering how many people are heading west on I-74 not realizing there is a new way to I-40 West. Did see one car exit onto NC-192.

I drove the whole new length both ways. There was a cop sitting on I-74 East right at the now US-421 exit. With traffic so light I could see some people opening it up.

Strider

I took a flyover from I-40 West to I-74 East and then took NC-192 West earlier, and then just not long ago after work I took the flyover from I-74 East to I-40 East. They're nice.

The flyover fro I-74 East to I-40 East was the most fun one as you can sort of see the whole interchange from there if you know where to look. (similar to the US-421 flyover from I-74 East).

ccurley100

I was kind of surprised that they wasted the money on a ramp from NC 192 east to I-74 west.  I can't imagine there is that much of a need for that kind of investment.

The Ghostbuster

I prefer building a full system interchange than a partial system interchange. Even if said ramp isn't as heavily used, it probably wasn't overkill to build it.

bob7374

I think FHWA would prefer the building of a full rather than a partial interchange. However, NCDOT seems to have gone out of its way to make signage that they hope will encourage more drivers to use the Beltway ramps. The control cities listed for NC 192 not being Winston-Salem or High Point but 'To Ridgewood Rd' implies for those who don't know the area that it only serves local traffic. Fortunately, anyone with a GPS system will find out about the shortcut soon enough.

Strider

Quote from: ccurley100 on September 21, 2026, 08:25:13 PMI was kind of surprised that they wasted the money on a ramp from NC 192 east to I-74 west.  I can't imagine there is that much of a need for that kind of investment.

Nah. It is not a waste. Eventually they're going to have to rebuild/widen I-40 between NC-192 and I-74 interchanges from 4 to 6 lanes which will include replacing or widening the bridges, so if whenever it happens, they're probably going to shut down that 2-mile of I-40 and reroute it along I-74 and NC-192 temporarily in the future.

Also, NC-192 is proposed to extend up north past I-40 to US-421/US-158 in the future. (if that ever gets funded).

The Ghostbuster

#2348
Hopefully, when/if the Interstate 40/NC 192 interchange is reconstructed, they will eliminate the stubs that would've extended 192 to the US 158 North/US 421 interchange.

yadkinv

I still say that NC 192 is seriosly confuisng and rediculous - it should be I 474 whether the shoulders are to standard or not because it was signed as an Interstate and there are hundreds of substandard Interstates throughout the country. Local officials have no clue of the importance of maintaing an Interstate connection. Recall various positive and exciting headlines when there is a new Interstate 3 or 2 digit.