News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

bilingual street blades in USA

Started by mapman1071, June 15, 2015, 08:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapman1071

What cities or regions in the US have bilingual street blades?

cl94

Of all places, Buffalo has some in the "Irish Heritage District" in South Buffalo (mainly along Abbott Road). English is white on blue, Gaelic is black on white.

New Orleans has them in the French Quarter (English and French), with some plaques on buildings giving names in Spanish as well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Big John

M3019C LPS20

Chinatown in lower Manhattan has street signs in Chinese and English. The Chinese characters are normally in small print and below the English letters of the street name.

KEK Inc.

Nearly every Chinatown in the country. 
Take the road less traveled.

roadman65

Miami for US 41.  Its 8th Street, which translates to Calle Ocho in Spanish and has both names along with Tamiami Trail on some of the street signs.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jbnv

Lafayette, Louisiana, has had signs in French primary with English secondary. (I don't live there currently so I don't know whether they still have such signs.)

The Tlingit center in Saxman, Alaska has signs translated into their native language.

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Brandon

Hancock, Michigan has their street blades in English and Finnish.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Dr Frankenstein

Burlington, VT wants to put up bilingual signs but I don't know if they've actually done it yet.

BGSes on I-87 through Clinton County in NY are bilingual English/French.

Quote from: jbnv on June 16, 2015, 08:42:55 PM
Lafayette, Louisiana, has had signs in French primary with English secondary. (I don't live there currently so I don't know whether they still have such signs.)

Yup. They still do it.

sipes23

US71

Tahlequah, OK

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quite a few along US 19 near Cherokee, NC. Here's one:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bluenoser

The northern Maine town of Grand Isle, where many of the residents are of Acadian descent, have bilingual English/French street blades, here's one example:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.305239,-68.15167,3a,15y,307.29h,86.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNOBG4TwwxLkTAQiQRxybFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

SignGeek101

Quote from: Bluenoser on June 19, 2015, 11:45:35 AM
The northern Maine town of Grand Isle, where many of the residents are of Acadian descent, have bilingual English/French street blades, here's one example:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.305239,-68.15167,3a,15y,307.29h,86.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNOBG4TwwxLkTAQiQRxybFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

That stop sign is positioned waay too far back IMO.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Bluenoser on June 19, 2015, 11:45:35 AM

I believe this is true of many towns in northern Aroostook County where some towns have a majority French-speaking population.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Not a street blade, but...

There are several of these around the Chickasaw Cultural Center in Sulphur, OK. None of the other traffic signs are in Chickasaw, which is a good thing because the traffic control there is already really confusing and badly done.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SidS1045

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on June 17, 2015, 09:51:42 AM
BGSes on I-87 through Clinton County in NY are bilingual English/French.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignGeek101

Quote from: vdeane on September 01, 2015, 05:37:25 PM
Most of them look more like this:

What's the point of having a bilingual exit tab, but not on the cardinal direction on the main BGS?

vdeane

Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 01, 2015, 06:58:51 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 01, 2015, 05:37:25 PM
Most of them look more like this:

What's the point of having a bilingual exit tab, but not on the cardinal direction on the main BGS?
That's a very good question.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US71

Quote from: jbnv on June 16, 2015, 08:42:55 PM

They alternate from French first, English second to English first, French second.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NJ

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.