News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

If it is before 10 AM in any season I tend to not worry about sunburn.  I really try to not do anything about until noon because I despise wearing sunscreen.

ZLoth

I'll take your sunscreen and raise you with this...

Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

Max Rockatansky

Or just long sleeve clothes.  Tends to work for me on hikes.

roadman65

Quote from: ZLoth on May 24, 2024, 04:46:03 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 24, 2024, 01:38:46 PMgenerations are different. Older generations don't choose to embrace the things of the younger, and the younger think the things that the older generations hold onto are antiquated.

Not quite. Each person has a different perspective on "what's important" in their lives, and it may not agree with the parent's definition of "what's important".

Except women nowadays. I see the elderly women embracing nail colors that the younger women as well as previous generations before them wear.  When colors other than clear, pink, and red came out, the elderly of today were parents of girls they wouldn't let wear blue, green, black, or designs. Now they embrace all colors.

Plus many of today's seniors were hippies of the sixties and nail polish on fingers and toes wasn't something of that specific age. Many hippie gals went barefoot and painted toes wasn't attractive for the same reasons wearing bras at the time weren't. 

Along with time beauty products change and it seems that all women now embrace the same fashion when the line of merchandise changes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

I'm a melanoma patient, currently doing well:  last scan showed no issues so my immunotherapy is cancelled unless a future scan does show issues.  Scans are every six months for now, if a couple of years go by still with no issues the frequency might be reduced.  The immunotherapy was pretty tolerable, too.

I'm still pretty careful about sun exposure!  I definitely don't need another cancer.  Broad brimmed hat, lightweight long sleeved shirt with a collar that can be stood up.  Then I just need sunscreen across my ears, the back of my neck, and the lower part of my face.

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 25, 2024, 09:48:27 AMIf it is before 10 AM in any season I tend to not worry about sunburn.  I really try to not do anything about until noon because I despise wearing sunscreen.

Agreed on the sunscreen, but wouldn't that mean doing outdoor activities before noon, not after?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2024, 10:00:59 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 25, 2024, 09:48:27 AMIf it is before 10 AM in any season I tend to not worry about sunburn.  I really try to not do anything about until noon because I despise wearing sunscreen.

Agreed on the sunscreen, but wouldn't that mean doing outdoor activities before noon, not after?

Normally yes, but sometimes things happen.  As an example my wife hates to hike early and doesn't carry the same pace as me. That usually means we are out during the worst part of the day for UV exposure.

vdeane

Recently, there was a boil water advisory (which I'm jokingly calling our "annual" one, since we had one last May as well; then it was the pump station, this time a large water main break).  Town employees noted that showering was OK, as does what I can find online.  However, when I was at Stewart's, the restrooms were out of order, and when people were asking about it (which happened 2-3 times just in the time it took to eat my brunch and ice cream), they said it was due to the boil water advisory, as they can't let people use them if they'd be unable to wash their hands.  So the question is, what about a boil water advisory makes it safe to shower but not to wash your hands?  And if it's really that much of a concern, couldn't they provide hand sanitizer for people to use after washing their hands during the advisory?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on May 28, 2024, 08:07:55 PMRecently, there was a boil water advisory (which I'm jokingly calling our "annual" one, since we had one last May as well; then it was the pump station, this time a large water main break).  Town employees noted that showering was OK, as does what I can find online.  However, when I was at Stewart's, the restrooms were out of order, and when people were asking about it (which happened 2-3 times just in the time it took to eat my brunch and ice cream), they said it was due to the boil water advisory, as they can't let people use them if they'd be unable to wash their hands.  So the question is, what about a boil water advisory makes it safe to shower but not to wash your hands?  And if it's really that much of a concern, couldn't they provide hand sanitizer for people to use after washing their hands during the advisory?

Stewart's has a manager. Your shower does not.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Throw "safety" in front of anything and most people won't question whatever absurdity you're up to.

TheHighwayMan3561

I keep hearing about Real Madrid, but where then is Fake Madrid?

/Soccer fans and CNGL all line up to hurt me  :sombrero:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on June 01, 2024, 10:01:05 PMI keep hearing about Real Madrid, but where then is Fake Madrid?

/Soccer fans and CNGL all line up to hurt me  :sombrero:

Heh, that brings me back to some lame 1990s era Midwest Soccer jokes.  My wife would probably be amused at my then lack of understanding of basic Spanish. 

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on June 01, 2024, 10:01:05 PMI keep hearing about Real Madrid, but where then is Fake Madrid?

/Soccer fans all line up to hurt me  :sombrero:

FTFY. I go against Real Madrid (but not to the extent of Barça), too overrated IMO.

Also, Real is used in the sense of "royal", so the true counterpart would be a Republican Madrid :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

mgk920

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 02, 2024, 05:28:45 AM

/Soccer fans all line up to hurt me  :sombrero:

FTFY. I go against Real Madrid (but not to the extent of Barça), too overrated IMO.

Also, Real is used in the sense of "royal", so the true counterpart would be a Republican Madrid :sombrero:.

'Real' (pronounced 'ray-AL') means 'Royal' in Spanish and España has been a monarchy with an elected parliament ever since Francisco Franco's death in the mid 1970s.

Real Madrid's main local rival is 'Atletico Madrid'.   'Royal Madrid' v. Athletic Madrid'.

:nod:

Mike

ZLoth

Based upon this article from Giant Freakin' Robot...

As I understand it, the 1988 movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is based upon the 1981 book Who Censored Roger Rabbit?, and not a good book as well. I still haven't listened to it in my audiobook library. Of course, the 1975 film Jaws is based upon the book of the same name published in 1974. I actually read that book (ok, listened to the unabridged version of it), and Spielberg wisely jettisoned the "small town shenanigans" in favor of the shark. Too bad the three sequels were just terrible. It's just to prove that once every great while, the movie is actually better than the book.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

Max Rockatansky

Lots of books turned out better in movie format.  Sometimes trimming the plot makes for a superior story. 

mgk920

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 02, 2024, 09:17:20 PMLots of books turned out better in movie format.  Sometimes trimming the plot makes for a superior story. 

had the book 'The Hunt for Red October' been followed faithfully, the movie would have been five-six hours long and just as exciting to watch.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on June 03, 2024, 11:46:29 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 02, 2024, 09:17:20 PMLots of books turned out better in movie format.  Sometimes trimming the plot makes for a superior story. 

had the book 'The Hunt for Red October' been followed faithfully, the movie would have been five-six hours long and just as exciting to watch.

Mike

I look at something like Jurassic Park as a good example of what I'm getting at.  The book had a lot of unnecessary characters and long winded exposition masked as science babble.  The movie streamlined all of that and was a better story for it.

SEWIGuy

I thought movie version of "The Firm" was more simple, compelling and the main character was more consistent than in the book.

Rothman

Quote from: mgk920 on June 03, 2024, 11:46:29 AM

Mike

Wondered why the movie didn't have the submarines collide... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.