AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TV shows set in cities that get city features horribly wrong  (Read 40874 times)

1995hoo

• Last Login: November 30, 2020, 08:11:11 PM
Re: TV shows set in cities that get city features horribly wrong
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2016, 09:31:03 AM »

The Killing is set in Seattle and filmed in Vancouver. That's excusable given the tax incentive, but this is not:

Wow!

That makes me recall a deli that used to be around the corner from my old office. They introduced some new sandwiches and put up a sign about their new "Brooklyn" menu. Problem was, the skyline they placed at the bottom of the sign included the CN Tower and SkyDome.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jwolfer

• Last Login: November 09, 2019, 11:16:34 AM
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2016, 08:12:41 PM »

The Killing is set in Seattle and filmed in Vancouver. That's excusable given the tax incentive, but this is not:

At least it's not set in Atlanta..  Seattle and Vancouver at least have similar climate and topography. I guess they figure only people familiar Seattle or Vancouver would be able to tell.

bing101

• Last Login: November 30, 2020, 04:17:03 PM
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119664/locations?ref_=tt_dt_dt

The 1997 movie Metro with Eddie Murphy. Vallejo was used as a backup city when some scenes could not be filmed in San Francisco for safety reasons.

roadman65

• Last Login: November 30, 2020, 10:18:45 AM
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »

Watch Kojack reruns and see how much more LA they get in outdoor locations then they do NY where its supposed to be set.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JMoses24

• Last Login: Today at 12:53:28 AM
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2016, 12:27:09 AM »

Mythbusters on Discovery some of their Bay Area Scenes take place in Vallejo, CA but is sometimes credited for taking place in San Francisco or Oakland.

I'm kinda a MythBusters super-fan, and I have never heard Vallejo scenes credited as "San Francisco" or "Oakland", but "Vallejo". The M5 shop is, in fact, located in San Francisco off of I-280 on Missouri Street (it has a Yelp listing).

VTGoose

• Last Login: November 30, 2020, 09:56:24 AM
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »

I'm surprised that JAG and NCIS haven't shown up here for their gross violations of geography. Since they were globetrotting so much, it would probably be possible to generate a long list of problems. There were a number of scenes, though, where Harm was flying his Stearman from an airport near "home" in Washington, D.C. and the terrain seen in the background was nothing like Northern Virginia. The worst offense was late in the series' run when Harm had left JAG. He flew into "Blacksburg, Virginia" and met up with Maddie, who was running a crop-dusting service. Harm went to work for her, doing crop-dusting on the cotton crops. Minor problem -- cotton doesn't grow in the mountains of Southwest Virginia. While we do have an airport here, it looks nothing like what was shown in the program.

NCIS does a pretty good job of being somewhat true to reality with small details, like Virginia license plates that are correct in look but with a number scheme nothing like that offered by the DMV and with the paint job on State Police cars. But they give a false impression of just how close places are to the Washington Navy Yard. The gang jaunts to Norfolk like it is just across the Potomac River and goes deep into the mountains of West Virginia in no time. Apparently the writers in California don't own any maps.

Bruce in Blacksburg

bing101

• Last Login: November 30, 2020, 04:17:03 PM
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »

Mythbusters on Discovery some of their Bay Area Scenes take place in Vallejo, CA but is sometimes credited for taking place in San Francisco or Oakland.

I'm kinda a MythBusters super-fan, and I have never heard Vallejo scenes credited as "San Francisco" or "Oakland", but "Vallejo". The M5 shop is, in fact, located in San Francisco off of I-280 on Missouri Street (it has a Yelp listing).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383126/locations?mode=desktop

Sorry I did not include this link of Mythbusters locations

jwolfer

• Last Login: November 09, 2019, 11:16:34 AM
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2016, 12:49:24 PM »

But they give a false impression of just how close places are ...

Bruce in Blacksburg

Pretty common on TV. The show "The Glades" about a Florida detective they have them going from Ft Lauderdale to Cassadega for an interview which is around a four hour drive. Not a normal work day trip. It was at least filmed in Florida.

Another thing that bugs me on TV especially is people taking a flight somewhere where nearly everyone would drive ( or train) like New York to Philadelphia
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:52:07 PM by jwolfer »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.