AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Massachusetts  (Read 253499 times)

Beeper1

• Last Login: October 27, 2020, 09:40:54 PM
Re: Massachusetts
« Reply #1400 on: September 23, 2020, 11:04:46 PM »

The canal itself is NOT being transferred to the state, it will still be owned and managed by the Feds.  Only the new bridges will be owned by MassDOT.

DJStephens

• Last Login: October 25, 2020, 02:38:20 PM
« Reply #1401 on: September 27, 2020, 12:51:35 PM »

This week MassDOT received a $21 million BUILD grant toward the I-90/I-495 Interchange project [PDF].

The grant covers but a fraction of the estimated total project cost, but is a step forward. The project is currently at 25% design, with construction projected for 2022-2027.

For those unfamiliar with the project, it involves building direct ramps from I-90 westbound to I-495 northbound and from I-495 northbound to I-90 eastbound, eliminating weaving between the other movements at the old toll plaza location, and replacing the trumpets with 40-45 mph flyovers. Plans and renderings can be found in the presentation from the July design public hearing [PDF].

Vaguely remember the Turnpike and I-495 interchange as "11A" the A being used due to the fact the Turnpike is considerably older, and there had been no interchange number reserved for the later 495.   Yes the trumpets were likely outdated by the seventies.   

dkblake

• Last Login: October 27, 2020, 03:48:28 PM
« Reply #1402 on: September 28, 2020, 11:16:14 PM »

I still think they should do a third bridge in the middle. I'll bet a majority of Cape traffic comes from MA-25 and I-195, since it "drains" such a large area, and most of it goes down US-6, to the bulk of the Cape.

Nah- plenty of US 6 <-> Boston traffic- the US 6 control city is Boston, after all. I grew up on Cape and knew a few people who made that commute. I know the "third bridge" comes up, but the two bridges as is are a whole 4 miles apart, and any bridge in the middle would connect, what, a fishing parking lot to another fishing parking lot? Just add another lane both ways on both bridges and make the lanes wide enough to accommodate cars built after 1940 and you're good.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 12:32:49 AM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #1403 on: September 28, 2020, 11:40:52 PM »

I still think they should do a third bridge in the middle. I'll bet a majority of Cape traffic comes from MA-25 and I-195, since it "drains" such a large area, and most of it goes down US-6, to the bulk of the Cape.

Nah- plenty of US 6 <-> Boston traffic- the US 6 control city is Boston, after all. I grew up on Cape and knew a few people who made that commute. I know the "third bridge" comes up, but the two bridges as is are a whole 4 miles apart, and any bridge in the middle would connect, what, a fishing parking lot to another fishing parking lot? Just add another lane both ways on both bridges and make the lanes wide enough to accommodate cars built after 1940 and you're good.
Concur. Each bridge should be 5 lanes with a reversible center lane, or 6 lanes without. Depends what they feel like operating on a weekly basis - more expensive span vs. more expensive operations. I kinda like the idea of going 4/1 northbound on Sundays, as long as it can feed into the right number of lanes after that.

DJ Particle

• RIAAcidal Lesbian Parodist

• Last Login: Today at 12:29:32 AM
    • DJ Particle
« Reply #1404 on: September 29, 2020, 12:22:36 AM »

Concur. Each bridge should be 5 lanes with a reversible center lane, or 6 lanes without. Depends what they feel like operating on a weekly basis - more expensive span vs. more expensive operations. I kinda like the idea of going 4/1 northbound on Sundays, as long as it can feed into the right number of lanes after that.

Last I was aware, the new spans will be freeway-standard twin-spans with two traffic lanes and one aux lane, and a barrier-separated bike/ped lane... per span.

froggie

• Last Login: October 27, 2020, 12:19:40 AM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #1405 on: September 30, 2020, 08:34:05 AM »

Bourne:
3 - Rotary on MA-28 at south end of bridge (AFAIK this will remain even with the new bridges)

Replying late here but the plan did consider an interchange and has not ruled it out.  Per the draft MassDOT study, much of the selected rotary alternative could be incorporated into the interchange concept.

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: October 27, 2020, 10:26:57 PM
« Reply #1406 on: September 30, 2020, 01:25:06 PM »

A week long trip last month took me to Bennington, Vermont by way of Massachusetts; I passed by this sign in Williamstown.

As far as I know this is the only mention of a Canadian city in the entire state, but it strikes me as odd that they chose to use Montreal as a control city here. I don't know if Vermont uses it. Considering most destinations used are local, MA should sign Bennington (oddly enough Bennington is never signed as a control city, preferring Pownal until you enter Vermont).  Or, at the very least, sign MA 2 East for Boston.
Doing things that nobody wants to do since 2004.
I was THE youngest forum member from May 14th, 2015 to September 25th, 2016.

I am the second Alex, since I currently use my father's name...

Ben114

• yep that's me

• Last Login: October 27, 2020, 10:32:19 PM
« Reply #1407 on: September 30, 2020, 03:42:47 PM »

Considering most destinations used are local

at the very least, sign MA 2 East for Boston.

The irony. (Location: Williamstown, 137 miles from Boston via MA 2)

In Vermont, Bennington and Rutland seem to be preferred on US 7.

noelbotevera

« Reply #1408 on: September 30, 2020, 03:49:54 PM »

Considering most destinations used are local

at the very least, sign MA 2 East for Boston.

The irony. (Location: Williamstown, 137 miles from Boston via MA 2)

In Vermont, Bennington and Rutland seem to be preferred on US 7.
Blargh, English. I meant that if US 7 is using Montreal, MA 2 should use both North Adams and Boston. After all, MA 2 is the best route to Boston from here.

Jim

• Check out https://travelmapping.net

• Last Login: Today at 12:20:15 AM
    • Travel and Other Pictures
« Reply #1409 on: September 30, 2020, 03:59:34 PM »

A week long trip last month took me to Bennington, Vermont by way of Massachusetts; I passed by this sign in Williamstown.

As far as I know this is the only mention of a Canadian city in the entire state, but it strikes me as odd that they chose to use Montreal as a control city here. I don't know if Vermont uses it. Considering most destinations used are local, MA should sign Bennington (oddly enough Bennington is never signed as a control city, preferring Pownal until you enter Vermont).  Or, at the very least, sign MA 2 East for Boston.

I doubt it's the intent with the sign, but if I'm in Williamstown, headed to Montreal, I probably do start out on US 7 north, but I cut over to I-87 somewhere (my preferred route when living there was US 7->VT/NY 346->NY 22->NY 7->along the Tomhannock Reservoir->NY 67->I-87).

I don't recall that sign when I lived there ('00-'07) so maybe it's a relatively recent change?
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, weather, sports)

noelbotevera

« Reply #1410 on: September 30, 2020, 04:12:15 PM »

I doubt it's the intent with the sign, but if I'm in Williamstown, headed to Montreal, I probably do start out on US 7 north, but I cut over to I-87 somewhere (my preferred route when living there was US 7->VT/NY 346->NY 22->NY 7->along the Tomhannock Reservoir->NY 67->I-87).

I don't recall that sign when I lived there ('00-'07) so maybe it's a relatively recent change?
I could buy that, since Google recommends that exact route from there to Montreal. It also recommends US 7 -> I-89. Either way, you still start on US 7; wouldn't make much sense to take anything else.

roadman

• Last Login: October 27, 2020, 09:21:26 PM
« Reply #1411 on: September 30, 2020, 04:29:03 PM »

That install is likely from the mid-1990s, shortly after MassHighway changed the specs for 'paddle' signs to require route shields on all signs.  The giveaway in this case is the 24 inch shield, which was briefly specified for the top-mounted signs.  As for the Montreal Que destination, a common practice at the time when replacing these signs under routine maintenance was to update the sign to the new standards, but replicate the existing destinations on the new panel.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

• Last Login: October 26, 2020, 09:50:52 PM
    • Bob Malme's Road Pages
« Reply #1412 on: October 03, 2020, 04:43:33 PM »

Have posted my latest collection of photos documenting the MA 18 widening project in Weymouth and Abington, some progress has been made this past summer, the widened highway has been paved in many places, such as near the Abington and Weymouth border:

The remainder of the photos are at: http://malmeroads.net/mass21c/miscsigns.html#southshore

Pete from Boston

• Location: Massachusetts, and all the roads radiating out of it
  • Last Login: October 27, 2020, 09:19:29 PM
« Reply #1413 on: October 27, 2020, 09:19:29 PM »

They paved over the awful concrete leading down into the Big Dig in the southbound direction; does anyone know if there’s any plan to do this coming north into the tunnel? The pavement is horrible.There’s almost as much patch as there is concrete.

pderocco

• Last Login: October 27, 2020, 11:52:01 PM
« Reply #1414 on: October 27, 2020, 10:06:38 PM »

This is a late answer, but: It would provide a direct connection from MA-25 to US-6, high over the canal and the roads that parallel it. As someone who used to have houses in Bridgewater and Provincetown, getting between the Bourne and Sagamore bridges added 15-30 minutes to the drive in the summer, compared to sailing over the canal with no surface roads. I'll bet even a lot of people from within 128 would choose MA-24 to I-495 to MA-25 as an alternative.
Ciao,
Paul

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.