News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

On the NJ Turnpike...

Started by SSOWorld, June 02, 2009, 10:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Ok, what is this?

http://tinyurl.com/oc5h3f

is it one of those crossovers that cops can sit on and point their radar from? :confused:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

akotchi

It is a grade-separated u-turn, which is used by emergency vehicles and maintenance vehicles to u-turn between outer roadways.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

Well yes, cops do sit up there and point radar a lot.  The other interesting thing is that a couple of these crossovers are former exits.  Check out Interchanges 7 and 11.

SSOWorld

just did

It might be interesting when I do drive this way.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Alps

Quote from: Master son on June 02, 2009, 10:25:41 PM
just did

It might be interesting when I do drive this way.
Not so interesting from the Tpk.  And I wouldn't recommend trespassing on their ROW, either.  But if you come this way, shoot me an email, get me your # and I'll come on down.

Alex

The N.J. Turnpike (the northern portion) is always a sight to behold for the first time.

SSOWorld

Quote from: AARoads on June 03, 2009, 11:21:10 AM
The N.J. Turnpike (the northern portion) is always a sight to behold for the first time.
I'm sure you have all the time in the world once you get stuck in the traffic  :eyebrow:
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Alex

Ian

Wow I travel the Turnpike about 10 times a year and never realized the exit 7 & 11 crossover for the cops were old interchanges! This kind of thing is another reason that makes the Jersey Turnpike so  :cool:

ian
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

signalman

I'm not sure about Exit 7, but 11 was definitely reconfigured to connect to the Garden State Parkway once it was completed.  Exit 11 originally connected to US 9.  I think Exit 7 was reconfigured at US 206, but I believe there was always a crossover there.  I know there's a Turnpike maintenance garage at Exit 7.

Alps

Quote from: signalman on June 05, 2009, 04:15:46 PM
I'm not sure about Exit 7, but 11 was definitely reconfigured to connect to the Garden State Parkway once it was completed.  Exit 11 originally connected to US 9.  I think Exit 7 was reconfigured at US 206, but I believe there was always a crossover there.  I know there's a Turnpike maintenance garage at Exit 7.
The Exit 7 crossover is a trumpet!  Of COURSE it's the original interchange. (:

signalman

Alps

Bumping this thread up again, I've discovered a list of Turnpike service areas that is complete.  Among interesting notes is that there was never any service area 9N/9S planned.  Other service areas have gone completely unbuilt, such as SA 5 around MP 49.5.  Now, SA 2 is listed as "Abandoned" instead of "Unbuilt" at MP 15.5.  I checked out historicaerials.com and saw that if you go all the way back to 1957 (next one is 1940, too early), you can see grading in that area (north of Wolfert Station Road overpass) that looks like it would be the right size and shape for a service area in each direction.  In other words, it doesn't look Abandoned, it looks like We Tried But Decided Not To Go Through With It.  Anyone have any other info?  Or at the very least, go take a gander yourself and see what you think.  Aerials today still show a clear patch NB but nothing SB.

NJRoadfan

Exit 10 was once the exit for the GSP, the only connections provided were south to south and north to north (since the GSP ended there for awhile). Exit 11 was for US-9. the only artifact of the old Exit 10 is the flyover used for police. The ramp over the GSP was removed. Chances are it wasn't a pretty stone faced overpass, so it got the axe.

Alex

D-Dey65

Quote from: AARoads on June 03, 2009, 11:21:10 AM
Oh, it's not the only sight. Has anybody noticed the reminants of an old Howard Johnson's sign somewhere around Exit 5?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.