AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-73 in VA  (Read 84172 times)

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 11:30:22 PM
Re: I-73 in VA
« Reply #500 on: January 27, 2019, 11:18:52 PM »

They are not planning on replacing the 2006 EIS study, this study is only for the segment south of the Martinsville Bypass, that is what is meant by "within its study limits".
But likely any other segment built would have this same process redone again. At this point the original ALC is going to eventually get redone one piece at a time. That's proven by this leg of the project.

There are western alignments that are not far from US-220 and they obviously could be tied into the ALC.  One of them even follows the existing US-220 closely and may be a freeway upgrade of that.
I could see that, but I still believe a western alignment would be better. But that's a different subject - this is about the Martinsville Southern Connector leg of the project.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 10:17:48 PM
« Reply #501 on: January 27, 2019, 11:46:08 PM »

They are not planning on replacing the 2006 EIS study, this study is only for the segment south of the Martinsville Bypass, that is what is meant by "within its study limits".
But likely any other segment built would have this same process redone again. At this point the original ALC is going to eventually get redone one piece at a time. That's proven by this leg of the project.

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid.  Nothing such is being proved, there simply is a desire for early action and some flexibility about that segment.

There is no evidence that the state or the municipalities don't continue to support the ALC.  They are not going to conduct a series of EIS studies.
Scott M. Savage
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

John Tarver per TWA 800 in 2001 in alt.disasters.aviation
"The flight crew was electricuted by the electrical fault of 140 ampres of three phase under the flight deck floor."

sprjus4

« Reply #502 on: January 27, 2019, 11:51:40 PM »

There is no evidence that the state or the municipalities don't continue to support the ALC.
And there's no evidence that the state or the municipalities do continue (as of 2019) to support the ALC. Interests could have changed. We'll have to see when the preferred alternative is selected in a few months.

They are not going to conduct a series of EIS studies.
That's exactly what they're doing here!

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #503 on: January 28, 2019, 12:01:20 AM »

There is no evidence that the state or the municipalities don't continue to support the ALC.
And there's no evidence that the state or the municipalities do continue (as of 2019) to support the ALC. Interests could have changed. We'll have to see when the preferred alternative is selected in a few months.

Look at the VDOT I-73 webpage, last modified: July, 2018, nothing has changed as to the ALC.

The fact that they haven't passed resolutions changing their decision shows that it hasn't changed.

They are not going to conduct a series of EIS studies.
That's exactly what they're doing here!

This is one segment.
Scott M. Savage

"The flight crew was electricuted by the electrical fault of 140 ampres of three phase under the flight deck floor."

sprjus4

« Reply #504 on: January 28, 2019, 12:06:15 AM »

Look at the VDOT I-73 webpage, last modified: July, 2018, nothing has changed as to the ALC.

The fact that they haven't passed resolutions changing their decision shows that it hasn't changed.
Let's wait until the Preferred Alternative is chosen, and more input is given by the localities.

This is one segment.
Correct, and as other segments are proposed, an EIS will be completed on those.

LM117

• Last Login: March 16, 2019, 11:24:56 AM
« Reply #505 on: February 14, 2019, 10:17:13 AM »

As mentioned in the Virginia thread:

https://www.roanoke.com/news/politics/general-assembly-notebook-panel-kills-reckless-driving-threshold-increase-effort/article_5563168f-4bc3-5dc1-92a8-9c3eb190d20a.html

Bill to provide funding for I-73 stalls

A bill to earmark funding for the proposed Interstate 73 came to a halt in the General Assembly on Wednesday.

Interstate 73 would create an avenue for high-speed travel between Roanoke and the North Carolina line south of Martinsville. It was proposed more than two decades ago, but the $6 billion project has long been stalled because of funding issues. The bill from Sen. Bill Stanley, R-Franklin, would’ve put the interstate next in line for funding that’s currently being allocated to U.S. 58. When the money was available, I-73 would have received about $40 million a year.

The transportation subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee voted not to advance SB 1014 on a 5-0 vote, but the chairman of the committee, Del. Chris Stolle, R-Virginia Beach, said the legislation could be revived Friday at the full Transportation Committee.

The bill passed the Senate on a bipartisan vote of 28-11.

The bill has been introduced in previous General Assembly sessions.
"You forget a thousand things everyday. How about you make sure this is one of them?"--Michael De Santa, GTA V

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #506 on: February 19, 2019, 08:42:23 PM »

The CTB had this presentation today, and it provided more clarity as to what they are doing.

MARTINSVILLE SOUTHERN CONNECTOR/ROUTE 220 EIS INTRODUCTION
Angel Deem, Environmental Division Director
February 19, 2019
http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2019/feb/pres/2_martinsville.pdf

Excerpts:

The purpose of the Martinsville Southern Connector Study is to enhance mobility for both local and regional traffic traveling along U.S. Route 220 between the North Carolina state line to the U.S. Route 58 Bypass near Martinsville, Virginia

FHWA identified the project as one that would meet the One Federal Decision (OFD) Executive Order, August 2018
-- Prescribed under Executive Order 13807 (8/15/2017)
-- Sets prescribed timelines to obtain a NEPA decision and related federal permits (goal = 24 months)
-- Federal agencies identify eligible projects to apply OFD
-- FHWA has currently identified three projects for OFD – two projects in Maryland and the Martinsville Southern Connector
. . . . . . . .

This a special case, among the first usages of the OFD.  A way to expedite and advance single projects thru the EIS process.  They didn't use the word "pilot" but that is about what this is, in addition to meeting a need to advance a particular project that VDOT and the Salem CTB member wants to prioritize and advance.  So this is no predictor of what may happen on the rest of VA I-73.

CTB discussion raised some question about the efficacy of the OFD, namely the issue of compressing what normally takes 4 or 5 years into 24 months, also the issue of obtaining sufficient public involvement in the shortened time frame.

This is bound to raise controversy about this process, but it will be interesting to see what happens, or if it is possible to work this process successfully.  And again it doesn't mean that OFD will be utilized on any of the rest of the I-73 corridor.
. . . . . . . . .

One Federal Decision - Fact Sheet
https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/policy-initiatives/320411/ofd-fact-sheet.pdf

Excerpt:

Issued on August 15, 2017, Executive Order (EO) 13807: Establishing Discipline and Accountability in the Environmental Review and Permitting Process for Infrastructure Projects requires Federal agencies to process environmental reviews and authorization decisions for “major infrastructure projects” as One Federal Decision (OFD). The EO sets a government-wide goal of reducing the average time to complete required environmental reviews and authorization decisions for major infrastructure projects to not more than two years from publication of a notice of intent to prepare an environmental impact statement (EIS) to issuance of a record of decision (ROD) prepared under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). The EO also requires all Federal authorization decisions for the construction of these projects to be completed within 90 days of the issuance of a ROD.
Scott M. Savage

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.