News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Stop signs on interstates

Started by bugo, November 13, 2013, 09:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

When was the last stop sign on an interstate removed?  The only one that I can think of was at the KS/OK border at the south end of the Kansas Turnpike, but I'm not sure if it was signed as I-35 at that time.  Were there any others?

NE2

Last time Jake transported his sign collection.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Border patrol check points in the Southwest and Texas and agricultural inspection stations in California.

GT-N8013

Brandon

Quote from: Alex on November 13, 2013, 11:49:07 AM
Border patrol check points in the Southwest and Texas and agricultural inspection stations in California.

GT-N8013

In that case, you can also count non-ORT toll plazas.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Quote from: Brandon on November 13, 2013, 12:16:21 PM

GT-N8013

Do they actually post stop signs?  Thruway plazas don't.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadsguy

Quote from: vdeane on November 13, 2013, 12:30:53 PM

GT-N8013

The PA Turnpike has "GET STOP TICKET" signs all along their toll plazas. However, due to the extra text, I'm not sure they count...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman

Quote from: vdeane on November 13, 2013, 12:30:53 PM

GT-N8013

MassPike posts Stop Get Ticket signs for entry and Stop Pay Toll signs for exit.  Of course, that will be a moot point when they go AET in a few years.  As for border checkpoints, don't forget I-87 southbound just south of the NY/Canada border - http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2005/HAB0503.pdf
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Henry

Except at toll plazas and international border crossings, I can't imagine any stop signs on an Interstate.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Jardine

I'll try and remember to check later today when I am out, but there might be some snow barriers with stop signs on them.  There are also some drop down automatic barricades, I just can't remember how they are signed.

elsmere241

I-176's then-south end (now the end of the long ramp for Exit 2) had a stop sign at PA 10/23 as late as 1987.

pianocello

Quote from: Jardine on November 13, 2013, 02:14:07 PM
I'll try and remember to check later today when I am out, but there might be some snow barriers with stop signs on them.  There are also some drop down automatic barricades, I just can't remember how they are signed.

Like the ones on I-35 in Ames? Per Street View, there are no stop signs there, just the barricade.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

realjd

The last time one was removed was probably the last time the inland border checkpoint on I5 between San Diego and Los Angeles closed. So maybe this afternoon sometime? They don't keep it open 24/7.

agentsteel53

Quote from: realjd on November 13, 2013, 05:00:08 PM
The last time one was removed was probably the last time the inland border checkpoint on I5 between San Diego and Los Angeles closed. So maybe this afternoon sometime? They don't keep it open 24/7.

I'm trying to remember if they have STOP signs there.  they definitely have flashing red lights, and officers standing between lanes giving hand signals to either stop or proceed.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 13, 2013, 05:36:23 PM
Quote from: realjd on November 13, 2013, 05:00:08 PM

I'm trying to remember if they have STOP signs there.  they definitely have flashing red lights, and officers standing between lanes giving hand signals to either stop or proceed.

I distinctly remember stop signs from the half dozen times I've driven through there with the checkpoint open.

Jardine

OK, saw three snow barricades today, and they all had a "Road Closed" sign and some square reflectors along side.

These were all just hinged gates at the ramps, I did not get to see the automatic barrier on the Interstate lanes, so I don't know if the signage is different.  There is a sign on the right that says to exit when flashing, but the crossing arms I don't recall if there is any signs on them.

There has been some snow storms here where I am not sure the crossing arms would be visible till you ran over them, BTW, they are quite thin and insubstantial. As for the flashing lights on the sign, if they are illumined with CFL or LED bulbs, they might ice up to invisibility pretty quick too.  I haven't been unfortunate enough (yet) to see the Interstate closed there and the sign on. 

Don't know where the controls are for the gate and the sign, if it is DOT radio controlled, or if somebody has to go out there and unlock a switch to activate it.

Ugh, winter will be here soon enough, hope we don't need the barriers.

Brandon

colinstu

Duke87

Quote from: Brandon on November 14, 2013, 10:10:29 AM
Quote from: Big John on November 13, 2013, 09:59:09 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on November 13, 2013, 08:24:50 PM
Well, if we count onramps...

https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.693093,-73.999341&spn=0.002245,0.003862&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=40.692956,-73.999369&panoid=RwOMRRUQlranVDheFBVwaQ&cbp=12,27.17,,0,16.38
Or Pittsburgh: http://goo.gl/maps/5QcyQ

Horrible things that should be banned from the freeway.  If you need a stop sign there, then the ramp should be improved with a proper merge area or just removed altogether.

And if there's no room to add an acceleration lane but the ramp is too important to close, then what?

I tend to have a "meh" attitude about stop signs and yields with little to no acceleration lanes entering freeways since downstate New York has tons of them (although I will grant you most of them are not on interstates).

Connecticut, to their credit, has taken a lot of effort to remove such situations from the parkway, and while there are a lot fewer of them now than there were 20-25 years ago, several do still remain and they probably aren't going away anytime soon, either because there's no room to improve them without demolishing a historic bridge (Long Ridge Rd), they're low priority (Den Rd), or the plans to improve the situation are mired by endless court battles and funding issues (Main Ave).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.