News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kacie Jane

There are two lanes through the roundabout ahead, but you must allow trucks to occupy both lanes (as the been one is doing) rather than attempting to drive alongside, otherwise you shall be viciously crushed, as depicted by the red star.

(In other words, it's the same as the diagram you might see on the back of the truck itself, telling you not to try to pass on the right if the truck is swinging to the left in order to make a wide right turn.)

jakeroot

In British Columbia, they have a supplementary plaque:

Zeffy

I'm only placing this here because truthfully I'm not sure where else it would go.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.119809,-72.609182,3a,41.8y,48.17h,86.49t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sYQGAqnTLs-TrVjjp4zmo2A!2e0

Did someone forget to take that sign down? Because if so, that's rather misleading, especially seeing vehicles in the turn lanes ahead.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Bruce

A painted inverted state highway shield, complete with directional trailblazer, under the Aurora Bridge in Seattle.

Painted SR 99 shield under Aurora Bridge by SounderBruce, on Flickr
Wikipedia - TravelMapping (100% of WA SRs)

Photos

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on May 30, 2015, 06:43:16 PM
A painted inverted state highway shield, complete with directional trailblazer, under the Aurora Bridge in Seattle.

It looks like an old Jewish woman.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

jakeroot

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on May 27, 2015, 07:39:02 PM

Riiga, you might like these signs in Seattle. I'm sure they've been posted before, but I do find them rather interesting. I was thinking there wasn't a lot of APLs in Seattle, then I realized that there are actually a couple of them. The second one was installed about 5 years ago, but the first actually had another sign in place for quite a few years (see bottom of post):

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on May 30, 2015, 11:30:53 PM
Quote from: Bruce on May 30, 2015, 06:43:16 PM

It looks like an old Jewish woman.

I like it actually. It's clear enough, and even the 9's look like Series B/C hybrid. Still though, pretty good.

riiga

Quote from: jakeroot on May 31, 2015, 06:05:47 PM
Riiga, you might like these signs in Seattle. I'm sure they've been posted before, but I do find them rather interesting. I was thinking there wasn't a lot of APLs in Seattle, then I realized that there are actually a couple of them. The second one was installed about 5 years ago, but the first actually had another sign in place for quite a few years (see bottom of post):
Nice! Not really a fan of the flying arrows on the first sign, but otherwise pretty nice.

Bruce

In case you're wondering what that "T" symbol above S 154th Street is, it's our (the Seattle metro region's) symbol for a transportation hub. More details from Sound Transit's design manual (on page 28).
Wikipedia - TravelMapping (100% of WA SRs)

Photos

AsphaltPlanet

Truck SOS sign on Quebec Route 112 west of Autoroute 73:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 01, 2015, 08:50:10 PM

Anyone know the font that the '2' is in '12'?

An interesting sign. Quebec always does more strange things, but has the best signage in Canada IMO.

Scott5114

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 01, 2015, 10:06:55 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 01, 2015, 08:50:10 PM

Anyone know the font that the '2' is in '12'?

An interesting sign. Quebec always does more strange things, but has the best signage in Canada IMO.

'12%' and '8%' are most likely both in ITC Avant Garde.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SignGeek101

Found this at my university. There are several of these "winged pedestrians" around. I guess this could be posted in vandalized, but I kind of like it.

renegade

^^ I've seen several of these around my town.  The Velcro® dot at the walking figure's extended arm is supposed to hold an energy-drink can. 

"Red Bull gives you wiiiiings!"

Don't you just LOVE advertising?
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Bluenoser

SignGeek101

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 08, 2015, 11:15:00 AM
Quote from: Bluenoser on June 08, 2015, 10:12:17 AM
Traffic heading SB on R-362 in St-Irenee get this sign just before the roundabout:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.57956,-70.213878,3a,90y,287.29h,91.86t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sO_lgtK_09vgQbtVg66w8HA!2e0!6m1!1e1

Is that a church on that sign? Wow..

I think that's the European "City Centre" symbol. Funny, since this sign seems very European to me.

riiga

Looks like a variant of the symbol for built-up area which varies in design a bit throughout Europe.

JMoses24

This should qualify as "ugly". US 52 is *technically* going south, but it would otherwise be eastbound...this is in downtown Cincinnati on Plum Street, just south of the point where 52 exits Central Parkway from the north. US 42 southbound also uses Plum in this area.

SignGeek101

Quote from: JMoses24 on June 12, 2015, 12:31:45 AM
This should qualify as "ugly". US 52 is *technically* going south, but it would otherwise be eastbound...this is in downtown Cincinnati on Plum Street, just south of the point where 52 exits Central Parkway from the north. US 42 southbound also uses Plum in this area.

It certainly qualifies as ugly. Another day, another helvetica shield.  :-/

jakeroot

clipped

I actually quite like it. Though I'm somewhat more used to Helvetica inside shields.

vtk

That SOUTH banner has an older-style S where the ends don't quite make vertical. It's probably a bit older than the helvetica 52.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.