News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: jcn on January 03, 2018, 03:53:16 AM
Quote from: Alps on January 03, 2018, 12:12:29 AM
Traffic in the interchange has shifted - I-95 SB now rides all the way to the outside on the future C-D lanes for 413, then slides back into the mainline at the 413 interchange. There is fuck-all for lane striping, at least as far as reflectivity goes. Saw a car nearly stop in the left lane, then ride the line, then suddenly he went from left to right and I was riding in the shoulder without knowing it.

Good to know, what's the progress with the 95 ramps now when you passed by?
Don't think it's progressed yet. My guess is this will allow them to complete the ramps over the former SB lanes.

Chris19001

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 03, 2018, 01:35:46 PM
quote]I believe you meant Allentown because & to the best of my knowledge, the only route that is signed for Plymouth Meeting is I-476 northbound along most of the free, Blue Route portion of it (south of Exit 18).
Point taken, and I agree with your accessment.  I was simply referring to the earlier suggestion that Plymouth Meeting may be a possible destination on the signage for the PATP- 95 South portion of the topic.  Personally I don't like it on any BGS's regardless of the owner, as Plymouth Meeting is simply far too small of a destination in its own right.  I digress though.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Chris19001 on January 04, 2018, 12:26:51 PM
quote]I believe you meant Allentown because & to the best of my knowledge, the only route that is signed for Plymouth Meeting is I-476 northbound along most of the free, Blue Route portion of it (south of Exit 18).
Point taken, and I agree with your accessment.  I was simply referring to the earlier suggestion that Plymouth Meeting may be a possible destination on the signage for the PATP- 95 South portion of the topic.  Personally I don't like it on any BGS's regardless of the owner, as Plymouth Meeting is simply far too small of a destination in its own right.  I digress though.

I suggested Plymouth Meeting only because PennDOT uses it along I-476 northbound at most places between I-95 and I-276 and only for the sake of consistency. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 04, 2018, 09:43:14 PM

I suggested Plymouth Meeting only because PennDOT uses it along I-476 northbound at most places between I-95 and I-276 and only for the sake of consistency. 
Guess on my part but the likely reasoning behind the use of Plymouth Meeting was due such was the northern terminus for I-476 prior to 1996; the NE Extension was still PA 9 at the time.

That said, using it for control city for any other highway in the immediate region (specifically I-276 or I-95) makes no logical sense whatsoever.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 05, 2018, 10:01:24 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 04, 2018, 09:43:14 PM

Guess on my part but the likely reasoning behind the use of Plymouth Meeting was due such was the northern terminus for I-476 prior to 1996; the NE Extension was still PA 9 at the time.

That said, using it for control city for any other highway in the immediate region (specifically I-276 or I-95) makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Either of Conshahoken or Norristown would have made better sense.

Beltway

Quote from: storm2k on January 05, 2018, 02:51:47 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 05, 2018, 10:01:24 AM
Either of Conshahoken or Norristown would have made better sense.

Plymouth Meeting is right there near the junction of the east-west Turnpike, the NE Extension and the Mid-County Expwy., the closest named place, and that IMO is why Plymouth Meeting has been used as a reference point on the highways.

Conshohocken and Norristown are several miles away.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Jim

Plymouth Meeting seems similar to me to the use of places like Albert Lea, Minnesota, which I have always assumed gained control city status solely based on it being the place where I-35 and I-90 cross.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

KEVIN_224

How different will this gantry be at the present northern end of I-295 soon? Hmmmm!

https://goo.gl/maps/fGFBRdmWKux

akotchi

It will probably go back to what it originally said before 1993 . . . North/295 on the left; Exits 68 A-B/Princeton Pike on the sign next to it.  No 583 shield, though.  I saw the plans at one point, but do not recall that particular location.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

jcn

How much do you think the recent snow storm and the upcoming ice storm will delay the opening of the ramps?

theroadwayone

Speaking of GMSV, I checked out I-95 at the interchange site this morning, and it's safe to say that something that looks like interchange ramps are taking shape (the date on the site was last September.)

Roadsguy

Quote from: theroadwayone on January 08, 2018, 01:54:29 PM
Speaking of GMSV, I checked out I-95 at the interchange site this morning, and it's safe to say that something that looks like interchange ramps are taking shape (the date on the site was last September.)

You can see them from PA 413 too.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman65

Quote from: akotchi on January 05, 2018, 06:23:13 PM
It will probably go back to what it originally said before 1993 . . . North/295 on the left; Exits 68 A-B/Princeton Pike on the sign next to it.  No 583 shield, though.  I saw the plans at one point, but do not recall that particular location.
Actually the sign on the right read "TO I-95 South Pennsylvania" prior to the truncation.  Though the sign on the right was designed to become a future guide to Princeton Pike when it was used as a TO I-95 guide.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on January 08, 2018, 07:40:10 PM
Actually the sign on the right read "TO I-95 South Pennsylvania" prior to the truncation.  Though the sign on the right was designed to become a future guide to Princeton Pike when it was used as a TO I-95 guide.
At that time, the BGS for the US 1 North exit read:
    EXIT 67 A
NORTH    TO
    1         95
    New York
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 09, 2018, 09:33:31 AM
    EXIT 67 A
NORTH    TO
    1         95
    New York
Really? US 1 to the Turnpike? To my knowledge I-195 was completed by 1983. Was there no interchange with the Turnpike at that point?

storm2k

Quote from: bzakharin on January 09, 2018, 10:43:18 AM
    EXIT 67 A
NORTH    TO
    1         95
    New York
Really? US 1 to the Turnpike? To my knowledge I-195 was completed by 1983. Was there no interchange with the Turnpike at that point?

For many years, that was kind of the "way" NJDOT pointed you. Rt 1 had a number of To-95 North shield assemblies from Princeton up to New Brunswick (where it was pointed onto 18 to pick up the Turnpike at Exit 9).

PHLBOS

Quote from: storm2k on January 09, 2018, 11:29:29 AM
    EXIT 67 A
NORTH    TO
    1         95
    New York

For many years, that was kind of the "way" NJDOT pointed you. Rt 1 had a number of To-95 North shield assemblies from Princeton up to New Brunswick (where it was pointed onto 18 to pick up the Turnpike at Exit 9).
Additionally & according to to a 1989 USGS topo map, I-295 between Kuser Road (where the northern segment temporarily ended just south of Exit 63/NJ 33 & Hamilton Ave.) & I-195 didn't yet exist.  So while one could meander via local roads to get from I-295 to I-195 & the NJ Turnpike (at Exit 7A); such wasn't practical back then.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Oh yeah, I was confused by the fact that this is a sign on I-295 Northbound. I guess before 295 was completed, the fact that you were approaching US 1 from the south meant that you didn't necessarily just pass the exit for 195. Still, given the gap, wherever you were coming from, you'd need to follow surface streets to reach either US 1 or I-195, and the latter would have been faster.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on January 09, 2018, 12:03:43 PM
Oh yeah, I was confused by the fact that this is a sign on I-295 Northbound. I guess before 295 was completed, the fact that you were approaching US 1 from the south meant that you didn't necessarily just pass the exit for 195. Still, given the gap, wherever you were coming from, you'd need to follow surface streets to reach either US 1 or I-195, and the latter would have been faster.
If one was coming from the Scudder Falls Bridge or even Ewing via I-95 back then; using US 1 as a means to get to the NJ Turnpike/I-95 northbound was the more logical routing/choice.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 09, 2018, 11:54:24 AM
Quote from: storm2k on January 09, 2018, 11:29:29 AM
    EXIT 67 A
NORTH    TO
    1         95
    New York

Additionally & according to to a 1989 USGS topo map, I-295 between Kuser Road (where the northern segment temporarily ended just south of Exit 63/NJ 33 & Hamilton Ave.) & I-195 didn't yet exist.  So while one could meander via local roads to get from I-295 to I-195 & the NJ Turnpike (at Exit 7A); such wasn't practical back then.

IIRC, that stretch didn't open until like 1996 or 1997. I remember going over that area in the spring of 97 and it was all very new.

bzakharin

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 09, 2018, 12:29:22 PM
If one was coming from the Scudder Falls Bridge or even Ewing via I-95 back then; using US 1 as a means to get to the NJ Turnpike/I-95 northbound was the more logical routing/choice.
The sign we are discussing is on 295 Northbound, so not from the direction of the Scudder Falls Bridge.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on January 09, 2018, 03:43:14 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 09, 2018, 12:29:22 PM
The sign we are discussing is on 295 Northbound, so not from the direction of the Scudder Falls Bridge.
The Exit 67A signs along both sides of the US 1 interchange contained the identical message; both then and now.

Quote from: storm2k on January 09, 2018, 02:24:55 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 09, 2018, 11:54:24 AMAdditionally & according to to a 1989 USGS topo map, I-295 between Kuser Road (where the northern segment temporarily ended just south of Exit 63/NJ 33 & Hamilton Ave.) & I-195 didn't yet exist.  So while one could meander via local roads to get from I-295 to I-195 & the NJ Turnpike (at Exit 7A); such wasn't practical back then.

IIRC, that stretch didn't open until like 1996 or 1997. I remember going over that area in the spring of 97 and it was all very new.
IIRC, the last piece of I-295 north of I-195 opened sometime during the very early 90s (either late 1991 or early 1992 when I drove on that stretch).  As a matter of fact, at what would later become the current I-195/295/NJ 29 interchange circa 1994; I-295 southbound would make a sharp-left bend and become I-195 eastbound; vice-versa for the opposite direction (I-195 westbound became I-295 northbound).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 09, 2018, 04:46:12 PM
]IIRC, the last piece of I-295 north of I-195 opened sometime during the very early 90s (either late 1991 or early 1992 when I drove on that stretch).  As a matter of fact, at what would later become the current I-195/295/NJ 29 interchange circa 1994; I-295 southbound would make a sharp-left bend and become I-195 eastbound; vice-versa for the opposite direction (I-195 westbound became I-295 northbound).

What NJDOT called the Trenton Complex, the last segments of I-295, I-195 and NJ-29.  All open by 1994.

'Missing Link' Fills Last Gap In I-95 System
Published: December 23, 1994

BORDENTOWN TOWNSHIP, N.J., Dec. 22–  For decades, three major interstate highways converged here in Burlington County and then stopped cold, dumping tens of thousands of motorists a day onto local streets here that were never designed to be commuter thoroughfares.

All that ended at 10:30 A.M. today when Gov. Christine Todd Whitman declared the grand opening of the $400 million Interstate 295 "skyway," linking the southern New Jersey leg of I-295 with its Mercer County leg and with I-195, which runs east to the New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway.

"For those of us who sat here in perpetual traffic queues while this project was completed, our day has finally come," said Transportation Commissioner Frank Wilson, who lives in Medford and plans to commute through the interchange every day now that it is open.

Locally, the unfinished section of I-295 had been known as the "missing link." Officially, the project is known as the Trenton complex. The elevated roadway encircles Bordentown City, a one-mile-square town that dates to the 1680's.

Construction of its final phase, which began four years ago, includes a new extension of State Highway 29 and a new road, Route 129, to feed thousands of state workers into the center of Trenton, where Route 129 hooks up with Route 1.

On the national scene, the I-295 skyway through Bordentown seals the last break in the interstate highway system designated by the number 95 that links Portland, Me., with Miami, Fla., according to Gary Hamby of the Federal Highway Administration.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/12/23/nyregion/missing-link-fills-last-gap-in-i-95-system.html

(Robert Coté, 2002)

NJRoadfan

"Last Gap".... hmm, I guess they forgot about that section just to the north of there :P

Beltway

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 09, 2018, 07:43:37 PM
"Last Gap".... hmm, I guess they forgot about that section just to the north of there :P

Obviously deliberately tricky wording, "last break in the interstate highway system designated by the number 95".  "System" could refer to I-295 and I-195 connecting to the I-95 NJTP.  This was after the Somerset Freeway had been canceled.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.