News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipeters61

Quote from: Alps on September 29, 2018, 10:57:27 PM
I think the idea is that most northbound travelers are heading to NYC or beyond, whereas people are getting out at various points southbound.
That would explain why you see signs for NYC as far south as at least Salisbury MD when coming up US-13.  Also interesting is that this seems to be one of the rare points where MDOT recognizes that Philadelphia exists.

Living in Dover, though, I never have seen any sign pointing traffic to Philadelphia or NYC around here.  Furthest north these signs go is Wilmington and the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

I think it's a fundamental constant of the universe that almost every thread on this forum devolves into some kind of discussion about control cities.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 30, 2018, 11:46:18 PM
I think it's a fundamental constant of the universe that almost every thread on this forum devolves into some kind of discussion about control cities.
Agreed.  Specifically on this thread, every time I check back thinking there's some talk on the new interchange or somebody noticed that Google Maps has finally decided to recognize it, I just get more control cities.

And regarding Google Maps, I'm surprised that somebody here hasn't found a way to get it changed yet.

famartin

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on October 01, 2018, 12:25:01 AM
Agreed.  Specifically on this thread, every time I check back thinking there's some talk on the new interchange or somebody noticed that Google Maps has finally decided to recognize it, I just get more control cities.

And regarding Google Maps, I'm surprised that somebody here hasn't found a way to get it changed yet.

I tried the "usual route" to report it to them, which as you can tell, worked wonders  :-D

theroadwayone

It takes ages for Google Maps to reflect new road construction.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: theroadwayone on October 01, 2018, 02:36:37 AM

Yet, close a road for emergency construction and they know about it instantly.

I have seen new roads shown in Google Maps instantly, so I'm not sure why it's taking them so long to recognize these new ramps.  Maybe they weren't named for a politician so they don't care about them! LOL

Roadsguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 01, 2018, 08:09:40 AM

To be fair, adding new roads to the database and/or changing their display status is completely different from road closures, which are typically part of traffic conditions and so update live.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

02 Park Ave

Quote from: famartin on September 30, 2018, 04:41:30 PM
Can anyone really justify not using Philly as the main I-95 control city between Baltimore and NYC? The whole section from Baltimore to NYC needs an overhaul in control city signage, IMHO.

Philadelphia is inconsequential.
C-o-H

Beltway

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 01, 2018, 10:28:43 AM
Quote from: famartin on September 30, 2018, 04:41:30 PM
Can anyone really justify not using Philly as the main I-95 control city between Baltimore and NYC? The whole section from Baltimore to NYC needs an overhaul in control city signage, IMHO.
Philadelphia is inconsequential.

Give it some more time.  They were bypassed by a superhighway in Delaware and New Jersey back in 1951.  It is only in 2018 that a continuous I-95 route now exists.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 01, 2018, 09:45:35 AM

To be fair, adding new roads to the database and/or changing their display status is completely different from road closures, which are typically part of traffic conditions and so update live.

Why did you remove the very next sentence in my quote which nullifies what you just typed?

While new roads don't occur very often near me, the US 322 Bypass was shown on Google Maps the day it opened.

PHLBOS

I have seen new roads shown in Google Maps instantly, so I'm not sure why it's taking them so long to recognize these new ramps.
And yet, they replaced old I-95 shields with I-295 shields before all the related-sign conversions in the field were completed; though they have not yet updated all of the interchange number changes.

Another tidbit regarding Google Maps: if one switches over to the Satellite view.  The aerial photo shown predates the construction of the two ramps.  Maybe Google's waiting for an updated aerial photograph so the new ramp routings can be accurately plotted.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ipeters61

Quote from: briantroutman on September 22, 2018, 08:44:29 AM
Southbound/westbound on I-95/PA Turnpike approaching the interchange:

Something I just thought of, doesn't PennDOT have an aversion to using the same exit number to reference different roads (northbound is Exit 40 for I-295)?  I know on the Cross Valley Expressway (PA-309) in Wilkes-Barre, Exit 4 goes to Rutter Avenue ("To US-11") and Exit 5 goes to US-11/Wyoming Avenue, even though they both are serving the same area.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

theroadwayone

If it helps, I did some research, and as of now, the toll from Exit 6 to Exit 1 on the NJ Pike is $5.45 cash/EZ-Pass, and $4.15 EZ-Pass off-peak, and the Delaware Memorial Bridge toll is $4.00 cash/EZ-Pass. The Turnpike Bridge toll is $6.75 toll-by-plate, and $5.00 EZ-Pass. Knowing this should factor into which route(s) a southbound driver should use, same with a northbound driver, minus the bridge tolls.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 01, 2018, 12:03:30 PM

Something I just thought of, doesn't PennDOT have an aversion to using the same exit number to reference different roads (northbound is Exit 40 for I-295)?  I know on the Cross Valley Expressway (PA-309) in Wilkes-Barre, Exit 4 goes to Rutter Avenue ("To US-11") and Exit 5 goes to US-11/Wyoming Avenue, even though they both are serving the same area.

This is all part of I-95, so it's correct in using Interchange 40 throughout the entire area.  You're thinking of the PA Turnpike and 'old' I-95 as being different roads, whereas now PA treats I-95 as one road, regardless of jurisdiction, and the breakoff roads are I-276 and I-295..

roadman65

I never had a real problem with Philly not being used on the NJ Turnpike living in NJ my entire childhood and early adulthood life, but did think it was odd though.  Not odd enough though to get anal like some here do, but since old NJ road photos submitted here did show Philadelphia as a control city on US 1 & 9 south at US 22 back in the 1940's does now allow me to see why Philadelphia is now wanting to be changed to all I-95 signage.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 01, 2018, 11:37:30 AM
Another tidbit regarding Google Maps: if one switches over to the Satellite view.  The aerial photo shown predates the construction of the two ramps.  Maybe Google's waiting for an updated aerial photograph so the new ramp routings can be accurately plotted.
There's some construction on the 2d view... not a lot, though more than the section of I-11 they added soon after it opened.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadsguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 01, 2018, 12:23:23 PM

This is all part of I-95, so it's correct in using Interchange 40 throughout the entire area.  You're thinking of the PA Turnpike and 'old' I-95 as being different roads, whereas now PA treats I-95 as one road, regardless of jurisdiction, and the breakoff roads are I-276 and I-295..

I think he meant the same number going to different roads depending on which direction you're on.

Of course when they build the remaining movements, presumably they will become Exit 40A and 40B, which for both directions of I-95 will probably lead to I-295 and the Turnpike, respectively, based on what I can gather of how exit letter suffixes are determined.

jeffandnicole

I doubt it - I've seen many occasions where new roadways are just shown over forested areas.  Aerial photos can take a while to occur; sometimes it takes a few years.  I don't think they use these aerials as the base layer in determining how to plot a roadway as there can be some issues with the photography.

Roadsguy

The 3D imagery predates the start of construction, but the non-3D imagery was taken I think sometime in 2016 when construction was well underway, but still nowhere near complete.

Beltway

Quote from: roadman65 on October 01, 2018, 12:47:02 PM
I never had a real problem with Philly not being used on the NJ Turnpike living in NJ my entire childhood and early adulthood life, but did think it was odd though.  Not odd enough though to get anal like some here do, but since old NJ road photos submitted here did show Philadelphia as a control city on US 1 & 9 south at US 22 back in the 1940's does now allow me to see why Philadelphia is now wanting to be changed to all I-95 signage.

The NJTP has always been an outer bypass superhighway of SE PA.  I-295 is the local access freeway that provides access between NJ and SE PA.  As such it makes sense to have Philadelphia directive signing on I-295 but not on the NJTP.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Beltway on October 01, 2018, 03:31:05 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 01, 2018, 12:47:02 PM

The NJTP has always been an outer bypass superhighway of SE PA.  I-295 is the local access freeway that provides access between NJ and SE PA.  As such it makes sense to have Philadelphia directive signing on I-295 but not on the NJTP.
Aside from the signage along the new I-295 in Mercer (NJ) & Bucks Counties (PA), I don't believe that there has been any mention of Philadelphia on I-295 signage elsewhere.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

No its Bordentown from US 1 in Lawrence and its Camden from I-195/NJ 29 and Del. Mem. Br. south of there (if any ramp has signs other than shields and pull throughs).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on October 01, 2018, 04:42:16 PM
No its Bordentown from US 1 in Lawrence and its Camden from I-195/NJ 29 and Del. Mem. Br. south of there (if any ramp has signs other than shields and pull throughs).
My point exactly.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

WR of USA

The aerials are in serious need of updating around NYC and New Jersey, the old Tappan Zee Bridge is shown to still be in use and the I-95 Penn turnpike interchange just started construction. I mean, come on google, this is a major metropolis.
Traffic? No problem, enjoy the scenery!

Long live the lovely Sagamore and Bourne bridges and their welcoming traffic bottlenecks for the tourists!

ipeters61

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 01, 2018, 01:12:33 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 01, 2018, 12:23:23 PM
(pic)

I think he meant the same number going to different roads depending on which direction you're on.

Of course when they build the remaining movements, presumably they will become Exit 40A and 40B, which for both directions of I-95 will probably lead to I-295 and the Turnpike, respectively, based on what I can gather of how exit letter suffixes are determined.
That makes sense.  It would be odd to make them 40A and 40B in their existing configuration, I was just wondering if it would ever be changed since technically the two exit 40s, while serving the same interchange, are not exiting to the same road.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.