News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 02, 2020, 02:56:27 PMI do think that ultimately having two lanes of continuity for I-95 should be the goal, though. Hopefully the eventual westbound widening between the US 13 interchange and the I-95 flyover will allow for this to be done with less confusing signage and lane configurations.
One could hope for such.

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 02, 2020, 02:56:27 PMWas any other signage changed beyond adding "RIGHT LANE" to the diagrammatics?
Not that I'm aware of; but the alteration to those diagrammatics now makes those signs consistent with the earlier-installed/mentioned, ground-mounted 95 SOUTH RIGHT LANE sign.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

Worth noting as well is the recent change of control at the U.S. 13 interchange (on the U.S. 13 side) from a grade separation to a signalized intersection.  This occurred in the last month, with a combination of permanent and temporary signal head mountings in use for the control.

The ramp bridge and connector ramps east of U.S. 13 are now closed and assumed to be demolished in the near future.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on January 02, 2020, 05:01:41 PM
Worth noting as well is the recent change of control at the U.S. 13 interchange (on the U.S. 13 side) from a grade separation to a signalized intersection.  This occurred in the last month, with a combination of permanent and temporary signal head mountings in use for the control.

The ramp bridge and connector ramps east of U.S. 13 are now closed and assumed to be demolished in the near future.
While such is, sadly, inevitable, I still don't believe that converting that trumpet into a signalized intersection is a good idea; especially given its close proximity to the Green Lane intersection signal just north of there & the Wawa store/gas station.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

Well ... like it or not, it is consistent with the reconstruction of the surrounding sections of U.S. 13 into more of a boulevard, with left turns replacing jug handle movements.

Also of note is that the mast arm sign for the connector says "Pa Turnpike,"  not I-95.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Roadsguy

Quote from: akotchi on January 02, 2020, 10:25:00 PM
Well ... like it or not, it is consistent with the reconstruction of the surrounding sections of U.S. 13 into more of a boulevard, with left turns replacing jug handle movements.

Also of note is that the mast arm sign for the connector says "Pa Turnpike,"  not I-95.

The name sign on the signal mast arm? Are any other permanent signs up?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 02, 2020, 05:54:32 PM

While such is, sadly, inevitable, I still don't believe that converting that trumpet into a signalized intersection is a good idea; especially given its close proximity to the Green Lane intersection signal just north of there & the Wawa store/gas station.
They would have had to rebuild it anyway, at its age. So this is a more cost-effective solution given traffic volumes.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on January 03, 2020, 12:42:37 AM

They would have had to rebuild it anyway, at its age. So this is a more cost-effective solution given traffic volumes.
Yes, such was going to need to be rebuilt/replaced.  As far as traffic volumes are concerned: the latest counts, which predate the opening of the I-95/PA Turnpike Connector ramps by about a year (2017), for that stretch of US 13/Bristol Pike range from 23,000 to 31,000 AADT with the higher total being for the stretch just below the interchange (I-95-PA Turnpike/US 13).  I'd be very curious to know if said-totals have indeed dropped since the ramps opened over a year ago.  Given that US 13 south of the interchange was undergoing a massive reconstruction project for a few years beforehand; the (most likely through-traffic) volumes might have temporarily dropped during that time period as well.

Another thing to consider: with the Act 44-related annual PA Turnpike toll increases including the AET-Delaware River Bridge; could US 13 north of the Turnpike interchange see an uptick in traffic volume?  I mentioned such several posts/pages back that one lower-cost alternate into PA would be to use US 1 south in Trenton to US 13 south as a means to reach I-95 and/or the PA Turnpike.  The Expressway portion of US 13 ends just over 2 miles north its I-95/PA Turnpike interchange.  While long-distance through-traffic will not likely utilize such a routing; it's possible that more localized through-traffic could opt for such routing.  The Wawa store/gas station, a known attraction for local traffic, adjacent to the interchange has been there since the late 90s.

Long story short: any anticipated drop in traffic volumes along that stretch of US 13 as a result of the I-95/276/295/PA Turnpike interchange opening that would justify a downgrade of the US 13 interchange/connector may be either short-lived and/or greatly exaggerated.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Mid-December, I drove the PA Tpk/95 towards NJ and there was a large billboard on the left sign, just before the connector bridge, saying "DON'T FOLLOW YOUR GPS", with instructions to follow the signage for EZ Pass or Cash/Full Service. Apparently many GPS systems are set up to have motorists go thru the EZ Pass lane at Exit 6, and doesn't reflect that if you're going to pay cash, ignore your GPS.

The billboard was a nearly perfect rendition of a GPS-style sign.  It was done so well, I almost want to believe the NJTA paid for that billboard.  The billboard's location was visible here: https://goo.gl/maps/p3LWXSDtZyp8XiHr7

It was a rainy night when I first saw it.  I went the route again about 2 weeks later to get a picture, but it had since been replaced.

Also of note is that the mast arm sign for the connector says “Pa Turnpike,” not I-95.

I could only imagine that, being these things are in engineering/design phases for so long, that "PA Turnpike" was chosen as it was before I-95 was completed, and the design never updated to reflect 95.

akotchi

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 02, 2020, 11:07:33 PM

The name sign on the signal mast arm? Are any other permanent signs up?

No.  The barricade-mounted junction/trailblazer assemblies were just moved to the new locations.  I would expect permanent signs when demolition of the bridge and ramps is complete.

Edited to correct quote structure.

briantroutman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 03, 2020, 09:31:09 AM...there was a large billboard on the left sign, just before the connector bridge, saying "DON'T FOLLOW YOUR GPS", with instructions to follow the signage for EZ Pass or Cash/Full Service.

As of the last week of December, similar billboards were in place on I-476 southbound approaching Mid County and I-476 northbound approaching the E-ZPass-only interchange at PA 903. I wouldn't be surprised if similar billboards have been posted approaching the Gateway and Warrendale barrier tolls and near other E-ZPass only exits like PA 29.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 03, 2020, 09:31:09 AMApparently many GPS systems are set up to have motorists go thru the EZ Pass lane...

As far as I know, most navigation software is set to seek the fastest route and is completely oblivious to any restrictions regarding the need to have an electronic toll pass to use segment of a roadway. I've routinely been advised to use tagholder-only toll plaza bypass lanes, ETC express lanes, and so on–regardless of whether I have the corresponding toll pass or not. If going through the express lane will shave ten seconds off the travel time, the nav software will tell you to do it.

Some visiting in-laws called me in a panic because they had picked up a toll ticket on the NE Extension in NEPA but had driven through the E-ZPass-only express lanes at Mid County. Their defense was that the navigation app kept commanding them "KEEP LEFT. KEEP LEFT."  and that they didn't want to get lost (in the big, mean city). Though that doesn't excuse them for ignoring the very clear signage, I can imagine that is a terribly common occurrence and an endless source of calls to the PTC's E-ZPass call center.

Yes, people should be smarter, but navigation software makers should also implement some mechanism to either assume that the user doesn't have a toll pass, ask them whether they do, or provide conditional instructions for both scenarios ("If you are paying cash, keep right..." ).

akotchi

My car's navigation system always directs me into the toll plaza (cash) lanes at an express/cash split.  I have not paid much attention to the settings, but I guess it does not assume E-ZPass (or similar transponder).

famartin

Mine routinely directs me to "stay left" at the Ft McHenry tunnel (towards the EZPASS only lane, though you do have both options in that tube) and to "stay left" at the Delaware Turnpike toll plaza (into the EZ Pass express lanes). Which works for me, but I'm sure would be a problem for others.

MASTERNC

Quote from: akotchi on January 03, 2020, 12:21:54 PM
My car's navigation system always directs me into the toll plaza (cash) lanes at an express/cash split.  I have not paid much attention to the settings, but I guess it does not assume E-ZPass (or similar transponder).

You can set a toll transponder in the settings so it directs you to cashless lanes/roads when you have the appropriate transponder.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: briantroutman on January 03, 2020, 11:58:02 AM
Yes, people should be smarter, but navigation software makers should also implement some mechanism to either assume that the user doesn't have a toll pass, ask them whether they do, or provide conditional instructions for both scenarios ("If you are paying cash, keep right..." ).

IMO, it shouldn't really direct you to either. If silence really isn't an option, perhaps "Toll plaza ahead. Please read signs."

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: famartin on January 03, 2020, 01:47:59 PM
Mine routinely directs me to "stay left" at the Ft McHenry tunnel (towards the EZPASS only lane, though you do have both options in that tube) and to "stay left" at the Delaware Turnpike toll plaza (into the EZ Pass express lanes). Which works for me, but I'm sure would be a problem for others.

My JPS tells me to get off Exit 2B southbound or Exit 109B Northbound :)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

KEVIN_224

I'm in Connecticut and even I got that one! :D

I believe a portion of CT Route 3 in Cromwell is even known as Shunpike Road...right by CT Route 9 and 372.

Anyways...back to Pennsylvania now! :)

jeffandnicole

You shouldn't have gotten it...being that Delaware doesn't have an interchange 2! 😁

(It's Exit 1B for those that are unfamiliar with the reference.)

KEVIN_224

But I know they were supposed to! I saw the warning signs on the local roads when a friend and I stayed at a motel in Elkton, MD in June of 2014. I don't think we were even a mile from the state line.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 04, 2020, 01:52:38 AM
You shouldn't have gotten it...being that Delaware doesn't have an interchange 2! 😁

(It's Exit 1B for those that are unfamiliar with the reference.)

I was thinking ahead to mileage based exits.  My bad.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 03, 2020, 08:59:12 AM

Yes, such was going to need to be rebuilt/replaced.  As far as traffic volumes are concerned: the latest counts, which predate the opening of the I-95/PA Turnpike Connector ramps by about a year (2017), for that stretch of US 13/Bristol Pike range from 23,000 to 31,000 AADT with the higher total being for the stretch just below the interchange (I-95-PA Turnpike/US 13).  I'd be very curious to know if said-totals have indeed dropped since the ramps opened over a year ago.  Given that US 13 south of the interchange was undergoing a massive reconstruction project for a few years beforehand; the (most likely through-traffic) volumes might have temporarily dropped during that time period as well.

Another thing to consider: with the Act 44-related annual PA Turnpike toll increases including the AET-Delaware River Bridge; could US 13 north of the Turnpike interchange see an uptick in traffic volume?  I mentioned such several posts/pages back that one lower-cost alternate into PA would be to use US 1 south in Trenton to US 13 south as a means to reach I-95 and/or the PA Turnpike.  The Expressway portion of US 13 ends just over 2 miles north its I-95/PA Turnpike interchange.  While long-distance through-traffic will not likely utilize such a routing; it's possible that more localized through-traffic could opt for such routing.  The Wawa store/gas station, a known attraction for local traffic, adjacent to the interchange has been there since the late 90s.

Long story short: any anticipated drop in traffic volumes along that stretch of US 13 as a result of the I-95/276/295/PA Turnpike interchange opening that would justify a downgrade of the US 13 interchange/connector may be either short-lived and/or greatly exaggerated.
31,000 is acceptable for a four-lane arterial with a traffic signal. Not tremendously great, but not terrible. It could be a bit sluggish in the peak direction, but then again, a lot of that traffic may be turning off at the PA Tpk.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on January 05, 2020, 10:22:01 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 03, 2020, 08:59:12 AM

31,000 is acceptable for a four-lane arterial with a traffic signal. Not tremendously great, but not terrible. It could be a bit sluggish in the peak direction, but then again, a lot of that traffic may be turning off at the PA Tpk.
Here's the thing; as we all know, the current I-95/PA Turnpike interchange does not yet have all its remaining interchange ramps built yet. 

The absence of those ramps means that:

1.  Traffic coming from either the Delaware River Bridge or in the immediate Bristol area seeking to access I-295 in PA will still utilize US 13/Bristol Pike south of the Turnpike to PA 413 as a means of reaching I-295.

2.  Traffic heading northbound along I-95 from Philly seeking to access I-276, despite PennDOT's premature covering of the top portion of this sign, will still use PA 413 to US 13 as a means to access the westbound PA Turnpike (to I-276).

Once those remaining ramps are built, then the majority of US 13/Bristol Pike traffic will indeed be O&D.

One has to wonder if the decision to convert the US 13/Turnpike trumpet into an intersection was based on the presumption that the I-95/276/295 interchange will be fully-built movement-wise.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

Speculating that the intersection conversion was a portion of the overall project that could be completed with the available funding, so it was included in Phase 1.  Not sure whether missing ramps were considered in phasing the overall project, but perhaps not in order to mix and match with the funding.

Speculating also that the intersection design is also consistent with the reconstruction of U.S. 13 to a lower-speed boulevard, as this eliminates the grade separation, which can be perceived as higher-speed.  This, by the way, does not imply comment of any kind on whether the mainline reconstruction had the desired impact . . .

vdeane

If I remember right, the other 6 movements of that interchange were considered Phase 2 and twinning the bridge is Phase 3.  Which (if either) actually gets built first is anyone's guess.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

1.  Traffic coming from either the Delaware River Bridge or in the immediate Bristol area seeking to access I-295 in PA will still utilize US 13/Bristol Pike south of the Turnpike to PA 413 as a means of reaching I-295.

Actually you can access PA 413 directly from the I-95 SB flyover.

Quote2.  Traffic heading northbound along I-95 from Philly seeking to access I-276, despite PennDOT's premature covering of the top portion of this sign, will still use PA 413 to US 13 as a means to access the westbound PA Turnpike (to I-276).

I would think that most I-95 NB traffic to I-276 WB would either take PA 63 WB or PA 132 WB to US 1 NB to get there at Exit 351.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadsguy

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 07, 2020, 09:05:09 AM

Actually you can access PA 413 directly from the I-95 SB flyover.

I think he meant traffic heading for eastbound I-295, not PA 413 itself. You could take the flyover and get off at Exit 39 and U-turn at the light, though, which may actually be quicker than using US 13 to PA 413.

Unless you're getting off at Business US 1, though, you're probably better off just taking the Turnpike all the way over to US 1 and taking that up to I-295. US 1 to the north and US 1/Woodhaven Road to the south make using the PA 413/US 13 connection unnecessary for most trips.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.