News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

talllguy from Baltimore

Started by talllguy, April 01, 2014, 10:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talllguy

Greetings fellow roadgeeks. I'm happy to find this resource, as MTR has gotten pretty quiet lately. I am not as hardcore roadgeek as many of you, but I enjoy reading / doing research on Baltimore city and County roads. I spend a considerable amount of time improving OpenStreetMap, in and around Baltimore. My other related interests include making maps, exploring, and buried utilities.

In the past, I have only been sharing my roadgeek explorations with fellow Roadgeek "MDRoads" (creator of the awesome website of the same name). He and I share a host of useful files and data on local matters. I hope to open some of that up to the larger roadgeek community.

Finally, for work I do GIS at the County. I maintain road and cadastral data regularly, and always am looking for ways to improve the County's SNS' and other traffic control devices. This can involve hours of roadgeek research which is highly enjoyable.

Elliott
@talllguy on Twitter

bugo

You have to surrender your nick to Crazy Volvo Guy unless you're over 6'6".

talllguy

Quote from: bugo on April 01, 2014, 11:24:38 AM
You have to surrender your nick to Crazy Volvo Guy unless you're over 6'6".

2m, so just slightly yes :)

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Welcome to the board! Several other GIS users are here as well.
Baltimore is a good place to explore. Have done most of the "state highways" there and found some sign find gems over the years.

bugo

I'm much closer to average at 6'4".  I'm the exact same height as Dougtone but Crazy Volvo Guy looms over me and makes me look short.

hbelkins

Elliott had messaged me on Facebook, lamenting the withered-on-the-vine condition of MTR, so I told him this was where everyone was gathered now.

Brandon

Yep, we're all here, most of us exiles from MTR.  Just be careful not to step in too much of whatever was left or was not left on the ground in Alanland.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Why does your username have 3 of the letter L in a row?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

talllguy

Quote from: 1 on April 02, 2014, 03:22:51 PM
Why does your username have 3 of the letter L in a row?

Because the tallguy with 2 'l's was taken when I signed up for a particular service way back when, I forget which though. Maybe AIM. I used it for twitter and everything else and it kinda stuck. It could also mean really tall, as in "talll" :)

Alps

I remember you from MTR. I forget whether you were respectable or a loony. Hope it's the former!

Laura

Elliott!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome :)

kj3400

Another person from Baltimore. Awesome. Welcome!
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

bugo

The loonies were the best thing about MTR.

talllguy

Quote from: Laura on April 03, 2014, 10:07:58 PM
Elliott!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome :)

Hey Laura. Your facebook event invite inspired me to reconnect with my road enthusiasm passion. PS Just sent the Mr. an email about GIS. Cool!

Quote from: kj3400 on April 03, 2014, 10:13:12 PM
Another person from Baltimore. Awesome. Welcome!

Wahoo! Where do you reside? Have you seen this? http://baltimoremutcd.tumblr.com/

Quote from: bugo on April 03, 2014, 11:11:06 PM
The loonies were the best thing about MTR.

Is Otto Yamamoto on here?

hbelkins

Quote from: talllguy on April 03, 2014, 11:26:17 PM
Is Otto Yamamoto on here?

To my knowledge, CC Slater isn't here. He's not really active in the roadgeek community these days.

bugo

CC is on Facebook but that's about it.  I talk to him on there from time to time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.