News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

This shield in Everett, WA looks like it has enough space to slap on a state name:

Wikipedia - TravelMapping (100% of WA SRs)

Photos

Highway63

Vast quantities of freestanding Iowa interstate shields vanished in the past five years as all rural sections of interstate underwent interchange signage replacement projects, and large paneled signs replaced all shields on the cross roads. Reassurance signs after interchanges remain, as do shields at interchanges in urban areas.

I am somewhat concerned about the future of freestanding state-named shields in Iowa, as there have been assorted projects (not related to the genericization above) that use neutered shields with larger numbers.

jakeroot

Found another state-named shield in Washington outside of Seattle. This one is in Olympia along State between Washington & Franklin:

noelbotevera

This is on a side street in Chambersburg (North 7th St. and East King St.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.935867,-77.647658,3a,37.9y,327.9h,86.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soa3XVvlVFy1ZJoB8R6NH7Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's pretty recent. Can't say how recent, since there is no date stamp on the back of the sign.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Alex

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on June 20, 2015, 11:37:04 PM
Vast quantities of freestanding Iowa interstate shields vanished in the past five years as all rural sections of interstate underwent interchange signage replacement projects, and large paneled signs replaced all shields on the cross roads. Reassurance signs after interchanges remain, as do shields at interchanges in urban areas.

I am somewhat concerned about the future of freestanding state-named shields in Iowa, as there have been assorted projects (not related to the genericization above) that use neutered shields with larger numbers.

I also think the guide sign installations at cross roads intersecting freeways is part of an effort to move away from the classic spec'd state named shields in Iowa. Furthermore last week we noted many neutered shield assemblies, especially along Interstate 35 northbound between Missouri and Iowa.

Missouri is also going full bore with neutered shields. Most assemblies along I-29 southbound are "shocked" (series C) neutered. I wrote Jeff about it and he confirmed that Missouri has favored neutered shields going forward.

Mergingtraffic

I found this and it could also be in the best of thread:

Is this a '61 spec even though the wide shield?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Highway63

Quote from: Alex on June 22, 2015, 12:24:59 PM
I also think the guide sign installations at cross roads intersecting freeways is part of an effort to move away from the classic spec'd state named shields in Iowa. Furthermore last week we noted many neutered shield assemblies, especially along Interstate 35 northbound between Missouri and Iowa.
<ominous tone>DOOOOOOMED!</ominous tone>

QuoteMissouri is also going full bore with neutered shields. Most assemblies along I-29 southbound are "shocked" (series C) neutered. I wrote Jeff about it and he confirmed that Missouri has favored neutered shields going forward.
(Not this Jeff)

I would guess that 95 percent of I-49 shields are neutered. I DID see a handful in the suburban KC area and got a picture of one last summer.

route17fan

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 22, 2015, 11:45:49 PM

Is it double-sided?
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Alex

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on June 24, 2015, 01:50:29 AM

QuoteMissouri is also going full bore with neutered shields. Most assemblies along I-29 southbound are "shocked" (series C) neutered. I wrote Jeff about it and he confirmed that Missouri has favored neutered shields going forward.
(Not this Jeff)

I would guess that 95 percent of I-49 shields are neutered. I DID see a handful in the suburban KC area and got a picture of one last summer.

Jeff R. told me that he spoke with the sign director for Missouri and that he is going to be a tough sell. Looks like to bring the state name back, it will have to be done legislatively. I-29 into Iowa was the first leg of neutered signs for Missouri.

Noted that every sign I saw for I-49 in the KC area was neutered. And not even the proper neutered with larger numbers, just smaller numbers shifted upward to nearly abut the horizontal rule.  :thumbdown:

ctsignguy

Quote from: route17fan on June 24, 2015, 05:58:20 AM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 22, 2015, 11:45:49 PM

Is it double-sided?
yep...you found a rare "cute shield" with a wood EAST banner....
'
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Mapmikey

Found an older I-81 state-named shield in Lexington VA earlier today...here is a 2012 GMSV of it...
https://goo.gl/maps/eQFHF

There were plenty of I-64 '61 spec shields still up along US 11 in the Lexington region.

Mike

Mergingtraffic

The only original FL one left...

freebrickproductions

Bessemer, AL:
To I-20/I-59 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Probably the oldest I-565 shield in Huntsville, AL:
I-565 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

This guy isn't too far away from the previous I-565 shield:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Ian

I posted this on the NYC Roads page on Facebook already, but for those who haven't seen it yet, here's a state-named I-684 shield posted on the mainline just south of Purdys. Are there any other state-named I-684 shields left out in the field, or is this the last one standing?

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Bickendan

As I noted in my thread in the PNW forum, I found a state-name I-5 in Halsey!

TheHighwayMan3561

Hinckley, MN. Minnesota has become an increasingly desolate place for state-name shields so finding one like this is cool.

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mergingtraffic

Could this sign be from the construction of I-280 in NJ?

formulanone

They're not '61-spec, but here's what I have found in states with only a few state-named examples:

Interstate 90 Pennsylvania by formulanone, on Flickr

Interstate 49 and US Route 71 by formulanone, on Flickr

Interstate 88 New York by formulanone, on Flickr

I-5 South in Seattle by formulanone, on Flickr

Int75MichiganShield-ToNorthChryslerFwy1 by formulanone, on Flickr

route17fan

The I-90 (PA) one is no longer there - that shield was in the Rest Area just inside the PA line from Ohio. Sadly gone. :(
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

thenetwork

Speaking of Detroit, I could've sworn I saw some state named I-94 shields that just said MICH.  By chance were those MICH 94 shields on the BGS overheads at the Southfield Freeway after the big interchange rebuild in the 90s?

PurdueBill

There was--at least in 2007--one example of MICH overhead.  This was on the non-freeway part of M-39 approaching the beginning of the freeway at I-94.

andy3175

Quote from: Alex on June 22, 2015, 12:24:59 PM
Quote from: Jeff Morrison on June 20, 2015, 11:37:04 PM

Missouri is also going full bore with neutered shields. Most assemblies along I-29 southbound are "shocked" (series C) neutered. I wrote Jeff about it and he confirmed that Missouri has favored neutered shields going forward.

Arizona and Wyoming also appear to be moving toward neutered shields. The southbound I-15 signage through the Virgin River Gorge are all neutered on the mainline, and the newest shields on I-90 east of Gillette and I-25 in downtown Casper with "14" or "15" date stamps (reflecting an installation date of 2014 or 2015) no longer carry the state name. While Wyoming has a 10 to 15 year replacement cycle for its signs (which means state named shields will still be commonplace for several years), I believe Arizona is more aggressive in replacing its signs possibly with a shorter replacement cycle. I have not visited Phoenix in a few years, so I don't know if new neutered shields have found their way into Phoenix or Tucson.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

roadfro

^ The AZ shields through Virgin River Gorge were all likely replaced as part of their I-15 rehab that went on in the past couple years. Not sure if the neutered shields would be a contractor issue on that project or an ADOT thing.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alex

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 10, 2015, 02:17:34 PM
Hinckley, MN. Minnesota has become an increasingly desolate place for state-name shields so finding one like this is cool.

Don't forget about the I-35E MN shield we told you and Chris about on CSAH 14 / Exit 123  :nod:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.