News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New, Microscopic Sign on I-590

Started by vdeane, July 11, 2009, 04:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Recently NYSDOT replaced the sign for Highland Ave on I-590 with... this:

Here's what used to be there:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mapman

Doesn't NYDOT have any kind of policy regarding use of overhead versus side-mounted guide signs?  Caltrans only uses side-mounted exit signs like your Exit 4 in rural areas, but is upgrading more and more to overhead signs.

vdeane

NYSDOT usually uses signs by the side of the road where possible, but in this situation side-mounted is more appropriate since there isn't much space; the new sign is very small in order to fit next to the noise barrier, and I'm sure more than a few people don't even notice it.

Since everything is done in regions in NY, I can't say for other regions, but for region 4 (Rochester area), the current trend in in favor of side-mounted signs in favor of overhead in many places.  Here's a new sign on I-490 showing this (the old overhead sign has not yet been taken down):
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cu2010

You know, that Exit 4 sign on 590 wouldn't look so bad if the exit tab wasn't so big...and if the sign were a little more rounded.

I don't have pictures of any of the signs, but I still remember when NYSDOT Region 3 replaced an old overhead button copy sign on I-81 southbound at exit 25A for the NY Thruway (which, as much as I love button copy, the buttons had fallen off of the old sign, making it near impossible to read anything other than the I-90 shield on the sign at night, making it in dire need of a replacement) with a side-mounted sign, complete with "RIGHT LANE EXIT ONLY" copy at the bottom...then they replaced that side-mounted sign no more than a year later with another overhead one, this time with the Thruway logo and Buffalo and Albany listed on the new sign!

I love my home state.  :-D
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

vdeane

Quote from: cu2010 on July 12, 2009, 08:44:15 PM
You know, that Exit 4 sign on 590 wouldn't look so bad if the exit tab wasn't so big...and if the sign were a little more rounded.
Thinking about it more, it's not too much smaller than a regular sign, but the nearby noise wall, trees, and a light pole make it hard to see (that shot of the sign that I used is the only one where the view isn't obstructed by something).

Alex

Perhaps its a temporary sign?

Looking at that Interstate 490 example, how many of the signs and/or assemblies have been replaced recently? I know there was a bunch of button copy from the Inner Loop leading west last I drove it (2005).

vdeane

Who knows.  What I assume was a perfectly good sign was taken down right before it was put in.

As for 490, almost all of those signs were replaced last year with the construction, though one sign for exit 11 remains unreplaced.  Pretty much every sign between I-390 and the eastern end of the Inner Loop is either new or about to be replaced now.

thenetwork

iwishiwascanadian

Occasionally in CT they replace overhead signs with signs on the side, but that is when they are replacing the gantry.  I've seen it on 84 in West Hartford/Farmington. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.