Pedestrian signals - Why Orange/White only in the US/Canada?

Started by Pink Jazz, August 30, 2014, 05:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

According to the MUTCD, Orange and White were chosen as the colors for pedestrian signals to make them stand out from vehicular signals.  However, the rest of the world outside the United States and Canada don't seem to have a problem with using Red and Green pedestrian signals.

So, why would the United States and Canada use Orange and White but the rest of the world use Red and Green?

Note that the U.S. and Canada were slower to make the move to symbolic pedestrian signals rather than words, where such signals have pretty much always used symbols in Europe.  Now the U.S. and Canada have leapfrogged much of the world by incorporating countdown timers on pedestrian signals.

EDIT: Oops, wrong forum.  Please move.

DaBigE

Please don't color-code, or at the very least, don't use white. It makes it harder to read, especially with the off-white message box/theme.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

cl94

Probably because those colors aren't used for vehicular signals. Makes it so the two types of signals cannot be confused. Interestingly, Buffalo loves to use standard tri-color signals for pedestrian crossings, mounting them where a pedestrian signal would be. I have seen tri-color bicycle signals with a bicycle-shaped filter on the lens, making each lamp look like a pictogram of a bicycle when lit.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: cl94 on August 30, 2014, 10:00:36 PM
Probably because those colors aren't used for vehicular signals. Makes it so the two types of signals cannot be confused. Interestingly, Buffalo loves to use standard tri-color signals for pedestrian crossings, mounting them where a pedestrian signal would be. I have seen tri-color bicycle signals with a bicycle-shaped filter on the lens, making each lamp look like a pictogram of a bicycle when lit.

I understand the reason why the MUTCD states to use orange and white for pedestrian signals, and you are correct, they are to make them easily distinguishable from vehicular signals.  However, the rest of the world outside the United States and Canada don't seem to have any issue with red and green pedestrian signals. 

My question is this: Why would the US and Canada have an issue with red and green pedestrian signals but not the rest of the world?  After all, it is natural instinct that red means stop and green means go.

jeffandnicole

Why does the US do ____  while everyone else does _____?

There's countless items that one can ask.  And I don't think it's as easy as it sounds.  Does the rest of the world have issues with it?  The assumption is No, they don't, but is there any proof of that?

cl94

Precisely. North America and Europe each have a set of standard signage and traffic control devices. I prefer ours, but there are advantages to both. What really matters is that the continuous landmasses each have a set of signs that is standard. You can't drive from Europe to North America and that is precisely why they can be so different without any issue.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

wisvishr0

Quote from: cl94 on August 30, 2014, 11:20:44 PM
Precisely. North America and Europe each have a set of standard signage and traffic control devices. I prefer ours, but there are advantages to both. What really matters is that the continuous landmasses each have a set of signs that is standard. You can't drive from Europe to North America and that is precisely why they can be so different without any issue.

I'm not so sure about that: in my circles, quite a few people travel to Europe and back often for business (probably partly due to the fact that I live in DC). Most of them rent a car there, seeing that you can with a plain, US license. I think it's important that there's at least some degree of standardization all of the world, just because there are quite a few globetrotters/tourists everywhere. For example, one of my friends almost got a heart-attack when he didn't give way to a guy coming from the right at a T-junction! All traffic, even at T-junctions, have to yield to cars coming from the right at uncontrolled intersections in many mainland European countries.

Europeans usually find the American system easy to adapt to, as long as they know English, because signage is pretty specific and written out in words. We Americans usually find the Vienna Convention signs a bit trickier, because they're diagram-based and can be a bit like completing a cryptic crossword puzzle. Also, we can't wrap our heads around the concept of "priority roads" or stick-shifts, and we have to give up rights on red.

My favorite system is probably the Canadian one: they use diagrams, usually, but they're just short of being dadaist. I love the "obligatory" green circle and the black lane signs.

Duke87

Quote from: wisvishr0 on August 30, 2014, 11:43:42 PM
For example, one of my friends almost got a heart-attack when he didn't give way to a guy coming from the right at a T-junction! All traffic, even at T-junctions, have to yield to cars coming from the right at uncontrolled intersections in many mainland European countries.

Wow, okay, that is dangerous and worth being aware of. The idea of a main road yielding to a side street as standard procedure when there are no signs is not something I ever would have considered.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

woodpusher

Now that I think about it, "Don't walk" should be white (regulatory) and "walk" should be orange (severe warning).

vdeane

It might be because the people who would be confused by red/green pedestrian signals aren't allowed to get drivers licenses over there.  Here, we give out licenses like candy and then cater to the lowest common denominator.  Around here, if someone gets confused by something, we change all the traffic control devices across the county.  There, if someone gets confused, that person isn't allowed to drive.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TEG24601

I've never seen Orange/White pedestrian signals.  Could someone post an example?

The only orange (amber) and white lights I've seen are those for Light Rail, usually when in mixed traffic.  Like the MAX in Portland, OR.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Big John

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 31, 2014, 01:51:05 PM
I've never seen Orange/White pedestrian signals.  Could someone post an example?

The only orange (amber) and white lights I've seen are those for Light Rail, usually when in mixed traffic.  Like the MAX in Portland, OR.

1995hoo

.... Also, we can't wrap our heads around the concept of "priority roads" or stick-shifts, and we have to give up rights on red.

Speak for yourself. I grew up in the USA and I have a difficult time whenever I'm forced to drive an automatic. The unfamiliar kickdown function drives me nuts. I blame automatic gearboxes for the apparent inability of many Americans to accelerate properly.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cl94

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 31, 2014, 07:48:15 PM
.... Also, we can't wrap our heads around the concept of "priority roads" or stick-shifts, and we have to give up rights on red.

Speak for yourself. I grew up in the USA and I have a difficult time whenever I'm forced to drive an automatic. The unfamiliar kickdown function drives me nuts. I blame automatic gearboxes for the apparent inability of many Americans to accelerate properly.

I also blame them for some of the traffic. The creeping up everyone loves to do is pretty difficult with a stick. Heck, starting to move is the hardest part of driving a stick and what prevents many from ever using them. I bet that if more people had sticks there would be more alternate merging and continuous flow because it's such a pain to stop.

vdeane

Yeah, I get mad at all the people who cut in front of me when I'm using the space in front to modulate my speed.  They could learn a thing or two.  I don't hit half the backups that everyone else adjacent to me hits because of it.  I don't understand why most people would rather go as fast as they can, stop, go as fast as they can, stop, repeat ad infinitum rather than driver a slower but constant speed.  Seriously, if I wanted to stop constantly, I'd take the local street with a million traffic lights.  Most rush hour congestion would go away if people could figure this out (plus how to do a zipper merge onto a freeway without slowing down).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Duke87 on August 31, 2014, 12:01:03 AM
For example, one of my friends almost got a heart-attack when he didn't give way to a guy coming from the right at a T-junction! All traffic, even at T-junctions, have to yield to cars coming from the right at uncontrolled intersections in many mainland European countries.

Wow, okay, that is dangerous and worth being aware of. The idea of a main road yielding to a side street as standard procedure when there are no signs is not something I ever would have considered.

I'm 99% sure this is the case in the U.S. as well.  The difference is that here, totally uncontrolled intersections are fairly rare outside of residential areas with 20 mph speed limits.

wisvishr0

Quote from: Kacie Jane on August 31, 2014, 10:35:54 PM

I'm 99% sure this is the case in the U.S. as well.  The difference is that here, totally uncontrolled intersections are fairly rare outside of residential areas with 20 mph speed limits.

It's definitely not the case at t-junctions, at least in Maryland. The md drivers manual specifically states that people on the "major" road at the t junction have priority. In Europe, the minor road has priority over the major road if the minor road is on the right.

iPad

Kacie Jane

Fair enough.  In Washington, it is the case.  Washington Drivers' Manual, page 3-22 (or 56, if you prefer to count consecutively):
QuoteAt an intersection where there is no stop sign, yield sign, or traffic signal, drivers must yield to vehicles in the intersection and to those coming from the right.
No exceptions mentioned for 3-way/T intersections.

cl94

Quote from: Kacie Jane on August 31, 2014, 10:35:54 PM

I have never seen an uncontrolled intersection, even in residential areas of small, rural hamlets. I'm pretty sure New York prohibits their use. But, that being said, it's nearly impossible to set a speed limit under 25 here except on university campuses, in parks, or in school zones- state law prohibits it and requires a darn good reason for NYSDOT to approve an exception.

wisvishr0

The Maryland manual clearly talks about t-junctions (see the top of the second page):

iPad

We have plenty of uncontrolled intersections in residential areas, so these rules are useful.

roadfro

Quote from: cl94 on August 31, 2014, 11:21:03 PM
I have never seen an uncontrolled intersection, even in residential areas of small, rural hamlets. I'm pretty sure New York prohibits their use. But, that being said, it's nearly impossible to set a speed limit under 25 here except on university campuses, in parks, or in school zones- state law prohibits it and requires a darn good reason for NYSDOT to approve an exception.

A "controlled" intersection is one that has either a traffic signal, stop sign or yield sign on at least one approach. You're telling me that you've never been at an intersection that was lacking any controls...?

Where I grew up, practically every intersection in any residential area is uncontrolled.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cl94

Quote from: roadfro on September 01, 2014, 10:16:09 PM
Quote from: cl94 on August 31, 2014, 11:21:03 PM

A "controlled" intersection is one that has either a traffic signal, stop sign or yield sign on at least one approach. You're telling me that you've never been at an intersection that was lacking any controls...?

Where I grew up, practically every intersection in any residential area is uncontrolled.

Never. Almost everything in New York has a stop or yield sign on all but 1-2 approaches. My parents are also from New York and they've never seen an uncontrolled intersection in this state. If there are any, they're buried in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of a large city.

roadman65

Winter Park, FL uses Orange and Green on its Park Avenue signals.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Is that supposed to be orange? It always looked red to me, or at least close enough to red that I didn't perceive the intended color as different from the red used for motorists. As for motorists (or pedestrians, I guess) confusing pedestrian signals with vehicular ones, that is very hard to believe. A ball does not look anything like a hand or a person. Why then are turn signals the same color as regular ones? After all, someone might confuse that red arrow with a ball, right? Heck, not all intersections use arrows. Some have a regular signal with "left turn signal" written above it. Heck, just yesterday, I encountered one so faded that all I could make out was "ft urn n-l". It took me a few seconds to puzzle out the exact wording on the faded sign (the last word specifically), but the signal's placement alone was enough to easily figure out what it was for.

vdeane

I can confirm that uncontrolled intersections are very rare in NY, if they even exist at all.  Stop signs are everywhere here.  Even yield is quite rare outside of right turn ramps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.