News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Amazon Prime announces racial and ethnic prejudice warning. Suprised?

Started by Billy F 1988, October 02, 2014, 06:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

Tom and Jerry. One of the greatest slapstick cartoon legends of all time crafted by the very hands of Hanna and Barbera now gets slapped with a digital backhand from Amazon Prime stating that certain episodes "may contain racial and ethnic prejudice". Sound off your frustration about this latest hullaballoo! I'm just beside myself right now.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

agentsteel53

we must protect all people from all things at all times.

best not leave the house.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Somewhere, somehow, something is always offensive to someone.

Fuck it and pass the cheesy poofs.  And while we're at it, let's barbecue the sacred cow, enjoy some pork, and enjoy the Tom and Jerry.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ARMOURERERIC

Tom and or Jerry may just get pissed off enough to go violent, look what happened to the lady superhero that used to be on Saturday morning after Shazaaaammmmm.  She is all over the news for acts of violence these days.

Roadrunner75

This isn't exactly new with Tom and Jerry DVD releases.  I have somewhere the Spotlight Collection DVDs for them that was released a few years ago, and I believe it had a warning on it then and some missing shorts. 

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on October 02, 2014, 06:50:19 PMlet's barbecue the sacred cow, enjoy some pork

this must be the wonderful, magical animal that Homer was talking about ...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

All this is is legal CYA lest some busybody decide to sue because they let their kids watch Tom and Jerry not knowing it contained such offensive content.

It's as much a testament to stupidity as it is to oversensitivity.

I'm surprised there's no warning about how violent the show is.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Laura

Quote from: Duke87 on October 02, 2014, 09:32:59 PM
All this is is legal CYA lest some busybody decide to sue because they let their kids watch Tom and Jerry not knowing it contained such offensive content.

It's as much a testament to stupidity as it is to oversensitivity.

I'm surprised there's no warning about how violent the show is.

Pretty much. At least they included the episodes. It's important not to censor the past so that we can learn from it and not repeat it ourselves.

realjd

I'd be pissed off if they removed them completely. Lots of those old cartoons though do make many racial jokes that could be considered offensive today so I have no problem with a brief warning. It's no different than the nudity/violence/language warnings before other content on TV.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mr. Matté

PHLBOS

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 02, 2014, 07:06:29 PMlook what happened to the lady superhero that used to be on Saturday morning after Shazaaaammmmm.  She is all over the news for acts of violence these days.
Sherman, set the WABAC Machine to 1975.  :)

GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

Quote from: realjd on October 02, 2014, 11:19:40 PM
I'd be pissed off if they removed them completely. Lots of those old cartoons though do make many racial jokes that could be considered offensive today so I have no problem with a brief warning. It's no different than the nudity/violence/language warnings before other content on TV.

I thought Warner Brothers handled it reasonably when they re-released some of the more "controversial" Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons, such as "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips," although there are still some they've refused to re-release ("Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs" comes to mind). They put the following disclaimer on the DVD materials:

QuoteThe cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in the U.S society. These depictions were wrong then and they are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming that these prejudices never existed.

Now, if only Disney would finally re-release Song of the South. I have a copy on DVD (obtained abroad because the movie was released on home video elsewhere in the world, but not in the USA), but I'd like to have a better copy. I should ask my mom whether she still has our old copy of the Golden Books Uncle Remus Stories volume we used to re-read endlessly when we were kids.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

spooky

Who cares if there's a disclaimer? Far better than editing them as has been the case on Cartoon Network broadcasts.

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 03, 2014, 10:37:31 AM
Now, if only Disney would finally re-release Song of the South. I have a copy on DVD (obtained abroad because the movie was released on home video elsewhere in the world, but not in the USA), but I'd like to have a better copy. I should ask my mom whether she still has our old copy of the Golden Books Uncle Remus Stories volume we used to re-read endlessly when we were kids.
It's funny that Disney refuses to re-release Song of the South, but has its characters all over one of the most popular Magic Kingdom rides.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.