Uncommon Street Name Suffixes

Started by Alex, July 29, 2009, 01:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

usends

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 30, 2009, 06:36:02 AM
What the heck is a "Stravenue"?

It's a portmanteau of "Street" and "Avenue".
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

yanksfan6129

Central Park West
Central Park South

Bryant5493

Boulevard

Parkway Drive

Both of these roads are in northeast Atlanta.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

mightyace

The main drag in Sevierville and Pigeon Forge is simply known as Parkway.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

luokou

Los Alamitos Park is a roundabout in Long Beach where CA 1 (Pacific Coast Hwy), CA 19 (Lakewood Blvd) and Los Coyotes Diagonal intersect.

Up in Portland and my hometown, terraces were pretty common (e.g. SW Maverick Ter), and several streets have no suffix (i.e. SW Greenway, NE Alameda, Broadway)

J N Winkler

I have never understood "Chausseestrasse" in several German cities (the most famous example being in Berlin).  Chaussée means "road" in French and exists in German as a loanword, so the literal translation of this street name is something like "Road Street."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Hellfighter

In Detroit, we have Avenues, Drives, and Roads

deathtopumpkins

In Elizabeth City, NC, US-17 Business is "North/South Road St." Street signs even abbreviate it as "N./S. Rd. St."
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Coelacanth

Quote from: Chris on July 30, 2009, 03:47:44 AM
Quote from: Master son on July 29, 2009, 11:08:20 PM
street names without suffixes

Broadway - very common

Broadway comes from the Dutch word "breedeweg" (which means Broadway). In Dutch, "breedeweg" is not spelled with a space, so Broadway would technically have been "Broad Way". So "way" is still it's prefix, but written as one word due to the historic influence of the Dutch language.
I think you meant to say that "way" is still its suffix.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that I live on Broadway Avenue.

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Bickendan

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 29, 2009, 02:48:52 PM

*  Court
Used in Portland for streets that share the same name only a block apart (SE Grant St, SE Grant Pl). Courts do not affect the address grid (Grant St would be 2200 S, Grant Pl would be 2250 S).

Quote*  Place (typically used in the US to refer to roads which are not squares)
Used in Portland in the same manner as Courts, but only for avenues instead of streets. Much more common, too.
(SE 32nd Ave, SE 32nd Pl; 3200 E, 3250 E)

hm insulators

The Phoenix area has a "Broadway Road." It runs from south Phoenix eastward through Tempe and Mesa.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Scott5114

Quote from: Bickendan on August 02, 2009, 07:07:22 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on July 29, 2009, 02:48:52 PM

*  Court
Used in Portland for streets that share the same name only a block apart (SE Grant St, SE Grant Pl). Courts do not affect the address grid (Grant St would be 2200 S, Grant Pl would be 2250 S).

Quote*  Place (typically used in the US to refer to roads which are not squares)
Used in Portland in the same manner as Courts, but only for avenues instead of streets. Much more common, too.
(SE 32nd Ave, SE 32nd Pl; 3200 E, 3250 E)

In OKC "Terrace" normally fulfills this function.

J.K. Rowling included a couple streets with uncommon suffixes (in the U.S., anyway; maybe they're more common in the UK) in her books: A street nearby Privet Drive is called "Wisteria Walk", and Professor Snape lives on a street named "Spinners End".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Pete from Boston

I just found one that made me do a double take and then go look it up to make sure I wasn't wrong: "Close," as in the street "Fellsdale Close" in upper-crusty Winchester, Massachusetts.

74/171FAN

Apex, NC has the Apex Peakway (a partially- completed loop road) based off Apex being "The Peak of Good Living" from its motto as it was the peak of the Eastern Seaboard Railway.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

US 81

I thought I had one that had not been mentioned: "______ Cut Off."  I lived on one growing up; before computerization, 'Cut Off' was a suffix per the Post Office.

But I went to look them up for citation, they have now become "____ Cut Off Road," as in Roberts Cut Off Road in Ft. Worth, Sprinkle Cut Off Road in Austin, Goat Creek Cut Off Road in Kerrville, etc

Somehow I feel cheated....

bmorrill

We've got a street here named Hardeman Pass, and many years ago Culwell Street (near the stockyards) was called Culwell Cattle Trail.

kurumi

Hey, it's the Walking Thread :-)

A few previous and later threads:
Very unusual street suffixes: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16661.0
Unconventional street suffix abbreviations on signs: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13995.0
Unique Public Roadway Types: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=8383.0

New Haven's Ella T. Grasso Blvd. was formerly named "Boulevard". West Hartford still has a plain Boulevard waiting for an honorific name. In Hartford, east of Boulevard across Prospect Street, is West Boulevard.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Big John

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 29, 2009, 11:08:20 PM
street names without suffixes

Broadway - very common

The Bowery
In Atlanta, there is a Boulevard.  No suffix as it is its own suffix.

jwolfer

Atlantic Beach FL has Barefoot Trace.. Like Natchez Trace I guess...a few miles away in Ponte Vedra Beach there is a Possum Trot

Bruce

Even in a grid you can get some weird things... "32nd Upper Avenue S" is located up a small hill from 32nd Avenue on the Mount Baker Ridge in Seattle. It also has a nice view of the I-90 floating bridges.

32nd Upper Avenue South, Mount Baker by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Pete from Boston

Quote from: US 81 on April 30, 2016, 12:14:40 PM
I thought I had one that had not been mentioned: "______ Cut Off."  I lived on one growing up; before computerization, 'Cut Off' was a suffix per the Post Office.

But I went to look them up for citation, they have now become "____ Cut Off Road," as in Roberts Cut Off Road in Ft. Worth, Sprinkle Cut Off Road in Austin, Goat Creek Cut Off Road in Kerrville, etc

US 20 in Worcester, Mass., is called Southwest Cutoff.

hbelkins

Quote from: US 81 on April 30, 2016, 12:14:40 PM

We have a road locally called the Cutoff Road, which is a shortcut between KY 52 and KY 11 about five miles north of town. It's never officially been called that, however. For years its post office designation was HC (or HCR) 36, and now it's Highway 498.

And there's the infamous Wiener Cutoff Road in Arkansas, a photo of the sign for said road having become a popular Facebook meme.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GCrites

Washington D.C. has "Unit" which is used on streets that lie on borders between the NE/NW/SW/SE parts of town. There's even one called "G Unit".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.