News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Strange habits you have

Started by golden eagle, February 10, 2015, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on February 16, 2015, 05:28:50 PM
Catsup on dogs is verboten.

Second image from Google Image search for "hot dog":

Big John

Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2015, 06:07:49 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 16, 2015, 05:28:50 PM
Catsup on dogs is verboten.

It's more a Chicago thing that ketchup is verboten.

kphoger

I squeeze the tube of toothpaste at all different points, mushing it this way or that each time. It only matters when it's down to the last bit, and then I start squeezing from the bottom, scraping along the counter with my knuckles, and rolling from the bottom end. Once it's too the point of none coming out, I do the aforementioned method of using the rolled-up part as a pusher. After that... well, it just occurred to me that a box cutter might come in handy.

I have no idea how my wife squeezes the toothpaste tube, as we use different brands and rarely brush at the same time.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Zeffy

Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2015, 06:07:49 PM
<snipped>

That's the way I eat my hot dogs, and goddamn does it taste so good.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

kphoger

I think we might be halfway to a CO meet.
(And we'll see if anyone but @vtk gets that one.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Big John on February 16, 2015, 06:10:33 PMIt's more a Chicago thing that ketchup is verboten.

I'm not sure where you get that idea from.  The standard hot dog of New Jersey, the Texas Wiener, comes topped with mustard, chili, and onions.  The usual protocol is that you have to specify if you want something different, but that's "all the way."

Connecticut has a serious hot dog culture, but I don't know if they have a regular format.  I would be very surprised if it included ketchup.  Massachusetts is in the dark ages on this stuff–standout hot dogs in Boston are very rare.

OracleUsr

Quote from: Big John on February 13, 2015, 09:59:01 AM
I don't think it is strange, but got commented on the fact I eat foods separately one at a time and I don't let different foods touch on a plate.

I eat foods separately too, but don't really care if the foods touch.

EDIT:  Maybe I should put this more specifically.  I eat one course at a time (aka, sides one at a time, then the main dish).  Drives my wife nuts, especially if she's cooking.  I think it goes back to the time when my classmates in elementary school used to make horrible looking combinations just for visual effect.  Or the fact that someone at an after-school program thought it might be neat to mix canned apples with overly-cooked sweet potatoes...for years I thought I was allergic to cooked apples because of the gagging sensation that combination elicited (I was 6 at the time, and one of my "classmates" was allergic to tomatoes).  Now, if you served me a combination like that, and both were cooked just to doneness (aka, still with some firmness), I might have seconds or thirds.  I do like a baked sweet potato.

A non-food habit that amuses my co-workers is that I take my lunch hour to the second.  I leave right at 12pm and get back at 1pm, almost on the nose.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Duke87

I have no idea what ketchup tastes like since I've never eaten any. But I do know that it's horribly disgusting to touch since it's cold and wet and sticky, and if it feels revolting on my fingers I ain't gonna put it on my tongue.

It also makes a noise like someone launching diarrhea out of their ass when you squeeze it out of a bottle. How is that possibly appetizing?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kphoger

All of the above could be said of mustard in a squeeze bottle.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Ketchup only enters my mouth if it's in combination with mustard on a hamburger. I don't eat it on eggs (my wife does) or on my Thanksgiving turkey (my wife's sister does) or on french fries or anything else.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2015, 03:35:11 PMYou're both high as a kite. Ketchup is my life blood! I put that shit on everything. Fries, dogs, burgers, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, chicken, etc.

Quote from: vdeane on February 16, 2015, 03:47:09 PMI don't understand the ketchup hate that many people have.  On the other hand, I don't understand putting it on eggs.

Ketchup is the second grossest condiment in existence.  The only condiment that can out-gross ketchup is mayonnaise.  Mayonnaise is egg infused with baby puke.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

vtk

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2015, 06:41:37 PM

I hope someone else gets it, because it went right over my head.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

spooky

Pete from Boston

Quote from: spooky on February 17, 2015, 07:52:45 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 16, 2015, 06:44:55 PM
standout hot dogs in Boston are very rare.

Eddie Andelman disagrees.

http://hotdogsafari.phantomgourmet.com/

Here are the hot dogs from that menu:

Windy City:  Never been, but I do know this is a Chicago dog place in Weymouth.  Not a "local" style.
Kowloon:  Chop Suey Dog?  Really?  Next.
Fuddruckers:  National hamburger chain.  Not a local anything.
Dunn Gaherin's:  Admittedly, I have no idea about this Irish pub's hot dogs
Boston Salads:  A distributor, not a place you can get a hot dog, and moreover selling a "NY style beef dog."
Dietz and Watson:  See above.
Jeff and Maria's:  Another one I'm not familiar with.

Where is Simco's, possibly the most standout dog in Boston? The previous holder of that claim, and the only one that people talked about much, was Speed's, but he's gone.  Lawton's in Lawrence is another of the few worth a trip, but notably absent here.

Even Sullivan's, whose dogs are nothing special but are celebrated for their setting, would have added some local cred to the list.  Boston Hot Dog (in Salem) are ok, but hardly local-styled and not really worth going far afield for.  Spike's is Chicago style.

Most of the rest of the hot dogs that get attention around here are nonsense like $15 Kobe beef dogs at gastropubs (one of my least favorite words) in the South End.

The Phantom Gourmet may be butt-kissing slaves to their advertisers, but their list still helps bear out the scenario here: Boston is just not much of a hot dog town.

Takumi

Does avoiding hot dogs count as a strange habit?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Pete from Boston

Probably a healthy one, at least.

freebrickproductions

I don't like hot dogs, but I do like turkey dogs with Worcestershire Sauce on them.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kphoger

Quote from: vtk on February 17, 2015, 06:47:22 AM

Man!  I was so pleased with myself for that one too...

With all the nude sleeping posts, I figured we should start making at least some of the road meets clothing-optional.
Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on February 17, 2015, 01:23:48 PM
Quote from: vtk on February 17, 2015, 06:47:22 AM

Man!  I was so pleased with myself for that one too...

With all the nude sleeping posts, I figured we should start making at least some of the road meets clothing-optional.

Roadgeeking around Cap d'Agde?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on February 16, 2015, 11:52:07 PM
It also makes a noise like someone launching diarrhea out of their ass when you squeeze it out of a bottle.
If I wind up giggling whenever I squeeze ketchup out of the bottle from now on, this sentence is to blame.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

I never use the right-hand Shift key when typing. To type a capital Q, A, or Z, I actually shift my left hand over a bit in order to use my pinky for Shift and my ring finger for the letter. I also use my right hand for the letter B instead of my left; it's always seemed more natural.
Male pronouns, please.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on February 17, 2015, 01:23:48 PM

Thanks for the Mental Scar.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

I know. It's impossible to not imagine a specific person you've met at a meet. And then it's impossible to un-imagine it.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on February 17, 2015, 10:19:58 PM
I never use the right-hand Shift key when typing. To type a capital Q, A, or Z, I actually shift my left hand over a bit in order to use my pinky for Shift and my ring finger for the letter. I also use my right hand for the letter B instead of my left; it's always seemed more natural.

I have very little feeling in my left ring finger due to an accident in high school in which I severed the tendons and nerves in said finger, so I type with just my index and middle fingers on both hands (except for using my thumbs to hit the spacebar). But I still type 50 to 60 words per minute on my ergonomic keyboard (much slower on my iPad touchscreen, of course). Like you, I never use the right-hand Shift key either.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

english si

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 17, 2015, 12:46:45 PM
I don't like hot dogs, but I do like turkey dogs with Worcestershire Sauce on them.
How do you get the Worcestershire Sauce to stay on a hot dog - soaked into the bun?
Quote from: vdeane on February 17, 2015, 10:06:34 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on February 16, 2015, 11:52:07 PM
It also makes a noise like someone launching diarrhea out of their ass when you squeeze it out of a bottle.
If I wind up giggling whenever I squeeze ketchup out of the bottle from now on, this sentence is to blame.
You're only just finding that out? You should have discovered that squeezy bottles make funny noises about 20 years ago!
Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on February 17, 2015, 04:17:35 AMKetchup is the second grossest condiment in existence.  The only condiment that can out-gross ketchup is mayonnaise.
Nope, Salad Cream is far worse and if you tried it, you would agree with me. It is the equivalent to mayonnaise that margarine is to butter: trying (and failing) to make a cheaper equivalent.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.