why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Road-related pet peeves

Started by TravelingBethelite, September 01, 2015, 02:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on October 04, 2023, 04:43:42 PM

• ... stopping for a yellow light

• Braking for speed bumps/speed humps. It's wearing on your brakes, creates a jerky experience for passengers, creates a chain reaction for drivers behind you, is never necessary if you're driving an appropriate speed, and worst of all, it could be interpreted as justifying their existence. So unless you actually like speed bumps and want to encourage planners to install more of them.. don't brake for them [/rant]

I will often stop at a yellow light, especially if it's already turned yellow when I'm approaching it—I don't normally speed up to beat the light. Part of the reason has to do with red-light cameras and not wanting to have to think about which intersections have them and which ones don't. Plus a few years ago the District of Columbia was talking about outfitting their red light cameras with photo radar to ticket people who speed up to above the speed limit to go through the yellow. I don't know whether they ever did that, but I don't much care to find out the hard way.

Regarding speed bumps/speed humps, it's absolutely not always the case that it is never necessary to brake for them if you're going an appropriate speed. That should be how it works, but it isn't. Some neighborhoods in which the community owns the streets will install sharper speed bumps of the sort that are more appropriate for a parking lot. I've also encountered sharp speed bumps on VDOT-owned streets in the Mantua neighborhood in Fairfax County, where they were installed to discourage "cut-through traffic" (people using the neighborhood streets to bypass traffic on surrounding arterials). Their speed bumps used to make you slow down to no more than 15 mph to traverse them (speed limit was 25) and they were sharp enough that going any faster was likely to cause you problems. I suspect that one reason they got away with those sort of speed humps was that a congressman (Gerry Connolly) lives in that neighborhood and got his start in politics from his involvement with their citizens' association back in the 1980s/1990s.

While I don't particularly like speed humps, if the speed limit is 25 and I can traverse the speed humps at 25 mph I don't get too annoyed about them. It's the ones that make you slow down that I resent.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2023, 04:56:39 PM
I will often stop at a yellow light, especially if it's already turned yellow when I'm approaching it—I don't normally speed up to beat the light. Part of the reason has to do with red-light cameras and not wanting to have to think about which intersections have them and which ones don't. Plus a few years ago the District of Columbia was talking about outfitting their red light cameras with photo radar to ticket people who speed up to above the speed limit to go through the yellow. I don't know whether they ever did that, but I don't much care to find out the hard way.

That is fair. The main reason I added the bit about stopping on yellow was to accommodate jakeroot's point, which was in the context of Japan where they're more aggressive about going on yellow. That being said, if you have time to come to a complete stop before the light turns red, that strikes me as an indicator that you could have made it through fine. Obviously, if you're far enough back, slowing down while the light is still yellow is normal and expected.

Some neighborhoods in which the community owns the streets will install sharper speed bumps of the sort that are more appropriate for a parking lot. I've also encountered sharp speed bumps on VDOT-owned streets in the Mantua neighborhood in Fairfax County, where they were installed to discourage "cut-through traffic" (people using the neighborhood streets to bypass traffic on surrounding arterials). Their speed bumps used to make you slow down to no more than 15 mph to traverse them (speed limit was 25) and they were sharp enough that going any faster was likely to cause you problems.

That sounds terrible. I've seen what I think you're describing in parks and parking lots, but not on a public roadway. Even so, I would resist the accelerating/braking cycles, even if it meant only speeding up a little bit between each one. I would much rather that than the yo-yoing of 25 mph to 10 mph multiplied by the number of speed bumps.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on October 04, 2023, 05:17:36 PM
Some neighborhoods in which the community owns the streets will install sharper speed bumps of the sort that are more appropriate for a parking lot. I've also encountered sharp speed bumps on VDOT-owned streets in the Mantua neighborhood in Fairfax County, where they were installed to discourage "cut-through traffic" (people using the neighborhood streets to bypass traffic on surrounding arterials). Their speed bumps used to make you slow down to no more than 15 mph to traverse them (speed limit was 25) and they were sharp enough that going any faster was likely to cause you problems.

That sounds terrible. I've seen what I think you're describing in parks and parking lots, but not on a public roadway. Even so, I would resist the accelerating/braking cycles, even if it meant only speeding up a little bit between each one. I would much rather that than the yo-yoing of 25 mph to 10 mph multiplied by the number of speed bumps.

The thing I think is by far the least appropriate is driving through a neighborhood with speed humps in the middle of the night blasting your horn as a way of getting "revenge" on the people there who supported the speed humps. Over the years I've seen news reports about disgruntled commuters who do that sort of thing, which then causes the community to ask the police to come out there and lie in wait for the horn-honkers to bust them for disturbing the peace.

kphoger

Braking just because someone merges into your lane front of you on the freeway, even if they're driving faster than you and/or a safe distance in front

My best friend does this.  Then he immediately spends the next ten seconds griping about how he was "cut off" by the other driver.

This is the same guy who refuses to duck back into the right lane while slowly passing multiple vehicles, then gripes about the driver who inevitably races around him on the right because there's plenty of room there.

It's almost enough to end a friendship, let me tell you...

Braking for speed bumps/speed humps. It's wearing on your brakes, creates a jerky experience for passengers, creates a chain reaction for drivers behind you, is never necessary if you're driving an appropriate speed, and worst of all, it could be interpreted as justifying their existence. So unless you actually like speed bumps and want to encourage planners to install more of them.. don't brake for them [/rant]

1.  I'd rather have to replace brake pads than shocks/struts.

2.  You obviously don't drive over the same speed bumps/humps I do.  I once bottomed out on a speed bump and dented the muffler in a rental car.  I don't slow down much if any for small speed bumps, but that's certainly not all speed bumps.

3.  Do you honestly think planners will stop installing speed bumps if people stop slowing down for them?  No, what will happen is that they'll make the speed bumps bigger.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryA

One of mine is when there's a sign such as "RIGHT LANE MUST TURN RIGHT" -- I'm thinking I need to merge left quickly, and then realize the sign was referring to the turn pocket about to be created, not the current right-most lane.

Another is a ramp like one near me, where a sign has arrows indicating that the lane assignments are left, straight, and right.  However, there's only two lanes at the point where the sign is posted -- if I want to go straight, which lane should I try to be in?  I don't know how to fix this one without making the lane assignment diagrams more complicated.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2023, 05:33:45 PM
The thing I think is by far the least appropriate is driving through a neighborhood with speed humps in the middle of the night blasting your horn as a way of getting "revenge" on the people there who supported the speed humps. Over the years I've seen news reports about disgruntled commuters who do that sort of thing, which then causes the community to ask the police to come out there and lie in wait for the horn-honkers to bust them for disturbing the peace.

That's obviously a crazy thing to do. The concept of exacting revenge on speed bump supporters is a strange one; after all, there couldn't possibly be greater payback than actually having to live on a street with speed bumps. And if it was one's own street, it certainly wouldn't be worth doing that because half the neighborhood would already know who you are and where you live, and the half that didn't would soon find out.

Quote from: GaryA on October 04, 2023, 07:17:12 PM
Another is a ramp like one near me, where a sign has arrows indicating that the lane assignments are left, straight, and right.  However, there's only two lanes at the point where the sign is posted -- if I want to go straight, which lane should I try to be in?  I don't know how to fix this one without making the lane assignment diagrams more complicated.

This is not exactly related, but reminded me of another example: when there are two turn lanes, but one turns into a lane which ends shortly past the intersection, so everyone queues in the lane that continues as a through lane, leaving an empty turn lane while traffic at the end of the queue backs up and waits through multiple light cycles.

This is a regular occurrence at the NY 104 EB exit ramp to NY 250, exactly as shown here where you can see the entire scenario playing out, right down to the red light on the other side of the underpass which will prevent more than about 3-4 more cars from clearing the intersection, so there will be cars dead stopped at a green light!! despite an open turn lane. The level of gutlessness is so absurd it's almost amusing. It's definitely one of those things that would befuddle drivers in any other country except maybe Canada.. and probably even them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on October 04, 2023, 05:41:23 PM
This is the same guy who refuses to duck back into the right lane while slowly passing multiple vehicles, then gripes about the driver who inevitably races around him on the right because there's plenty of room there.

If he's going to gripe, why did he let it happen then?  :) I grew up driving with my dad, who generally made sure that didn't happen by sticking extra close to the car in front until past the slower traffic. And while I don't take fault with that because I do find it annoying when people cut around on the right, I've been the guy cutting around on the right often enough that I prefer to apply an additional dose of adaptability with what I call the "15 second rule". I'll move right if I can stay right for at least 15 seconds without slowing down significantly, or if both lanes are moving at around the same speed. Otherwise, I'll just speed up instead, even if it means temporarily driving faster than I normally would to keep up with the car in front.

2.  You obviously don't drive over the same speed bumps/humps I do.  I once bottomed out on a speed bump and dented the muffler in a rental car.  I don't slow down much if any for small speed bumps, but that's certainly not all speed bumps.

What size speed bumps are you talking about here? I'm used to this kind, which are fairly gradual and (usually) easy enough to miss with the right side of your vehicle, allowing them to be crossed at 15-20 mph.

3.  Do you honestly think planners will stop installing speed bumps if people stop slowing down for them?  No, what will happen is that they'll make the speed bumps bigger.

Two conflations of terms going on here:

1. My entire point is that slowing down for speed bumps does not mean braking. It's entirely possible to slow down to an appropriate speed just by lifting one's foot off the accelerator. No braking needed. I can't think of any situation where a series of speed bumps would be simultaneously so far apart that you'd get going too fast and have to brake for each one, so hard to see coming that coasting up to each one wouldn't be feasible, and hit so hard that they need to be taken at a crawl.

2. Making speed bumps bigger would not necessarily mean they would have to be taken at lower speeds. The small parking-lot style ones that are almost like rumble strips can hit so hard it feels like your tire is going to fall right off. Meanwhile, it might be possible to roll right over a larger speed bump at the speed limit. And if they're really super-sized, drivers may even find it enjoyable to get air off of them intentionally.

Scott5114

A few that ODOT likes to do:

[JCT]
[256]
[←→]

(the JCT and arrow assemblies are supposed to be in different places)

[END]
[418]
[256]
[←→]

(only 418 is ending here, and junctioning 256, but that's ambiguous because the END is on top)

...and any instance of JCT on a freeway guide sign, because if there wasn't a junction, there would be nothing to say since you couldn't access it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on October 04, 2023, 09:26:50 PM
What size speed bumps are you talking about here? I'm used to this kind, which are fairly gradual and (usually) easy enough to miss with the right side of your vehicle, allowing them to be crossed at 15-20 mph.

Wichita:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/HoPau8zQMT6wsHks8
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Gqy4zRagbJHq7twg8

Mexico:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/yCUwdTtMfcVo8Ybe7
https://maps.app.goo.gl/5aShUMbNF6TGSXsF8
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nv83r6Uay7E3UYZ17
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Speed "ruts" are the worst.. and the lack of signage is the cherry on top. I can see how those would require braking.

If they're part of a series, they might even fit this description, which I figured was impossible (and probably is in the US):

I can't think of any situation where a series of speed bumps would be simultaneously so far apart that you'd get going too fast and have to brake for each one, so hard to see coming that coasting up to each one wouldn't be feasible, and hit so hard that they need to be taken at a crawl.

bwana39

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 01, 2015, 02:21:06 PM
I.E., little things that tick the roadgeek in you off.

For example, I HATE when people write interstate #'s like: I-70 = 1-70.  It just ain't right.  :banghead: :pan: :thumbdown:

So IH70? or Interstate 70? What would you have in YOUR stylebook?
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

vdeane

1. My entire point is that slowing down for speed bumps does not mean braking. It's entirely possible to slow down to an appropriate speed just by lifting one's foot off the accelerator. No braking needed. I can't think of any situation where a series of speed bumps would be simultaneously so far apart that you'd get going too fast and have to brake for each one, so hard to see coming that coasting up to each one wouldn't be feasible, and hit so hard that they need to be taken at a crawl.
Depends on the vehicle.  Some slow down faster than others when coasting.  Plus people have varying tolerances for the jolt.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Henry

Quote from: bwana39 on October 05, 2023, 12:17:19 PM

For example, I HATE when people write interstate #'s like: I-70 = 1-70.  It just ain't right.  :banghead: :pan: :thumbdown:

If you're a Texan, then you would default to IH ##. All others, it would be Interstate ##.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

Quote from: bwana39 on October 05, 2023, 12:17:19 PM

Pssst, check the date on the post you're quoting...

1-70 is objectively wrong though, unless you really do mean to refer to Interstates 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15...68, 69, 70.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 06, 2023, 12:43:34 AM
1-70 is objectively wrong though, unless you really do mean to refer to Interstates 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15...68, 69, 70.

Now, now...  In Wichita, "35" and "135" are synonymous...
Male pronouns, please.

Quillz

Inconsistent concurrency signage. In California, sometimes US-101 and CA-1 are signed as a concurrency, other times they are not. Technically, concurrencies do not exist, generally the "lesser" route exists in non-contiguous signage. (So not signing CA-1 between Oxnard and the Las Cruces Junction makes sense, however it's signed between Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo). So this is a case of either sign all concurrencies, or don't. In the case of California, don't sign them because that's the guideline that was established in 1964. (I should also note that I like how a lot of mapping apps will show concurrencies, I think this is a nice compromise. Only sign the significant route, let the apps show every other possible concurrency).

Occidental Tourist

People in the curb lane of double right turn lanes who take their turn wide.

VTGoose

Semi-road -- landscape designers who call for shrubs and foliage in islands in parking lots that block the view of oncoming traffic.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

TheHighwayMan3561

In general just how much it's accelerated post 2020 where people think they can do whatever they have to to avoid taking an L. Not only turning from a turn lane that doesn't exist, but feeling entitled enough to believe you can hold up traffic however long you need to to avoid missing your turn. Last winter witnessing people running reds in a snowstorm because they missed their green due to getting stuck in the snow and not even paying attention to cross traffic like they had a right to take their turn as if I was supposed to yield to them. NO!
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 18, 2023, 06:46:51 PM
Last winter witnessing people running reds in a snowstorm because they missed their green due to getting stuck in the snow and not even paying attention to cross traffic like they had a right to take their turn as if I was supposed to yield to them. NO!
What are they supposed to do?  I had one storm where I ran a red like that because if I didn't, I would have never moved.  After three cycles of having to stop right when the car finally started moving forward (in addition to their being a lot of snow, I was on an incline, and on the leg of the light with the shortest phase), I eventually said "f*** it" and just kept going even after the change to red.  At least there wasn't much, if any, traffic in the area.

As for why I was out in those conditions in the first place?  Driving home from Rochester and the weather around Albany was much worse than was forecast, as a major storm moving across the country unexpectedly merged with a nor'easter.  Took me seven hours to make what is normally a three and a half hour drive, and another two to "drive" the last mile back to my apartment.  The state roads were mostly passable, even if snow covered.  The town roads were not.  Even AAA was refusing to help people that night.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 18, 2023, 06:46:51 PM
Not only turning from a turn lane that doesn't exist, but feeling entitled enough to believe you can hold up traffic however long you need to to avoid missing your turn.

Wanting to turn left, but didn't get into the left turn lane?  Just sit there in the through-lane, holding up all the traffic behind you, until there's a gap in oncoming traffic!

Wanting to go straight, but mistakenly got into the left turn lane?  Just sit there in the left turn lane, holding up all the traffic behind you, until through traffic clears and you can slide over into the through-lane.

:banghead:

...  ...  Another related one  ...  ...  people who think they can do whatever they have to to avoid going one exit farther and just turning around, feeling entitled enough to believe you can cut across three lanes of traffic and miss the gore sign as narrowly as possible to avoid missing your exit.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2023, 09:50:38 AM
Wanting to go straight, but mistakenly got into the left turn lane?  Just sit there in the left turn lane, holding up all the traffic behind you, until through traffic clears and you can slide over into the through-lane.

Or, at an intersection near my neighborhood, just hit the accelerator and go straight, people in the proper lane be damned. It's their problem to know you got in the wrong lane and that you're going to go straight and it's their problem to avoid you. (That "Left Lane Must Turn Left" sign is fairly new—there used to be no warning, other than pavement markings, on the left side of the road that the left lane becomes left-turn only—but some people still act surprised when they discover it's a turn lane and they just go straight anyway. A disproportionate number of the ones who do so aggressively seem to have Maryland plates.)

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2023, 10:24:48 AM

Or, at an intersection near my neighborhood, just hit the accelerator and go straight, people in the proper lane be damned. It's their problem to know you got in the wrong lane and that you're going to go straight and it's their problem to avoid you. (That "Left Lane Must Turn Left" sign is fairly new—there used to be no warning, other than pavement markings, on the left side of the road that the left lane becomes left-turn only—but some people still act surprised when they discover it's a turn lane and they just go straight anyway. A disproportionate number of the ones who do so aggressively seem to have Maryland plates.)

Which would be much less annoying, because it wouldn't be holding anyone up.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2023, 10:42:27 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2023, 10:24:48 AM

Which would be much less annoying, because it wouldn't be holding anyone up.

More dangerous, though, because it results in brake-slamming and near-misses.

DriverDave

Lights at intersections where they aren't really needed (such as a T-intersection with the cross traffic heading away from the main road), while at the same time having no lights at intersections with actual cross-traffic. Stop signs just don't cut it sometimes. I think I started a topic on this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.