News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 12, 2021, 08:40:35 AM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 12, 2021, 12:23:50 AM
Route 135 isn't getting extended in either direction due to NIMBYs.
I'm not sure they have a leg to stand on at the southern terminus. The ROW is still clear.
I think there is parkland there.  And, if wetlands, the ROW is anything but clear.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

fmendes

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 12, 2021, 08:40:35 AM
I'm not sure they have a leg to stand on at the southern terminus. The ROW is still clear.
there is ROW but the plan was shot down and not only that as someone said its like a bike trail or some nature trail garbage
and NYS DOT no longer owns the ROW it was sold of to the County in like 1993

Roadgeek Adam

Seaford Harbor School being right next to 135 would set off NIMBYs. Cedar Creek Park is just at the ROW and that would set 4F and NIMBYs off.

Once again, why is it important? Route 135 isn't going to be finished on either end ever, and I'm completely ok with that. We don't need to waste money on projects that will go nowhere.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

fmendes

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 12, 2021, 11:41:13 AM
Seaford Harbor School being right next to 135 would set off NIMBYs. Cedar Creek Park is just at the ROW and that would set 4F and NIMBYs off.

Once again, why is it important? Route 135 isn't going to be finished on either end ever, and I'm completely ok with that. We don't need to waste money on projects that will go nowhere.
exactly the only thing it will do is cause people to try and bypass going through the Bronx and the LIE the southern and northern states will be a "Parking lot" litterally

empirestate

Certainly not to NYC, in any case. ;-)

dgolub

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 12, 2021, 11:41:13 AM

How is providing a direct connection between Long Island and Westchester/Connecticut without making a big circle through Queens going nowhere?  Seems useful to me.

The Ghostbuster

It likely would be useful to propose a route for Long Islanders (or people coming from Connecticut) to utilize a route that bypasses New York City and its congestion. Getting such a route constructed is another story altogether, which is probably why it hasn't happened and may never happen.

Roadgeek Adam

NIMBYs.
Lots of 4Fs.
The $20B or more cost it would take to build such a bridge.
The level of EIS that would be needed.
The lawyers and legalese fighting over the bridge.

This bridge's best hope was 70 years ago. NY taxpayers will eventually have to pay for a new Bronx-Whitestone Bridge, which itself is 82 years old. So 135 as far as I am concerned can stay Merrick to 25. If you choose to live on Long Island, especially in the Peconics, you can afford to pay the $9.50 to cross the TNB or BWB. It's a waste of time, even if there are benefits that we likely won't ever see.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

vdeane

Given that I would think a LI sound crossing would be tolled, the savings aren't monetary... it's time.  Clinching things in LI is a real PITA because of having to duck all the way down to NYC.  I estimate that I lose 20-30 minutes EACH WAY due to that, and this is on Sunday when everything's moving.  In more typical conditions, it's probably even longer.

Now, do I think it's at all likely that such a crossing would be built, given the cost and NIMBYs?  No.  Does that mean I think it's not needed?  Definitely not.

Regarding the Whitestone Bridge... why does it seem like older bridges last forever, but newer ones inevitably need to be replaced, like those power plants in SimCity that blow up after 50-100 years no matter how well they're maintained?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mergingtraffic

I drove the new sections of the Harlem River Dr/FDR Drive combo. 

NB, before the new left hand on-ramp, the markings make it seem like it goes t one lane just after the Exit 19 125th St off-ramp.  Why? There seems to be enough room to keep the 2-through lanes and the left lane on-ramp addition.

SB: it seems even worse, there's a huge wide lef-hand shoulder after the on-ramp from the 3rd Ave Bridge.  It seems the lanes could be extended longer and use up the pavement.

Or has the final lane striping not been done yet?

I-278:
I remember seeing news reports that they will make I-278 3-thru lanes each way through the Hunts Point Market interchange with NY-878.  is that still on the table?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

TheDon102

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 14, 2021, 05:32:36 PM
I-278:
I remember seeing news reports that they will make I-278 3-thru lanes each way through the Hunts Point Market interchange with NY-878.  is that still on the table?

Yes, its apart of the Hunts Point Interstate Access Improvement project currently going on. 3 thru lanes for the Bruckner, with new ramps to the Hunts Point Market
https://www.dot.ny.gov/southbronx/hunts-point

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hurricanehink

Yesterday, I drove the Jackie Robinson to the Grand Central for a Covid test (it was negative). I see there's still so much construction work to be done on the Kew Gardens Interchange (those highways plus I-678). Anyone know when it's going to be done? Wikipedia is out of date, and I couldn't find an answer in my quick search.

fmendes

Quote from: hurricanehink on March 23, 2021, 08:09:52 AM
Yesterday, I drove the Jackie Robinson to the Grand Central for a Covid test (it was negative). I see there's still so much construction work to be done on the Kew Gardens Interchange (those highways plus I-678). Anyone know when it's going to be done? Wikipedia is out of date, and I couldn't find an answer in my quick search.
there saying Spring 2023 here is a YT video with the timeline https://youtu.be/pvmGYA-wQj4

hurricanehink

Quote from: fmendes on March 23, 2021, 11:07:50 AM
Quote from: hurricanehink on March 23, 2021, 08:09:52 AM
there saying Spring 2023 here is a YT video with the timeline https://youtu.be/pvmGYA-wQj4

Thanks! I knew someone on here would know.

SidS1045

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on March 13, 2021, 10:47:54 PM
Regarding the Whitestone Bridge... why does it seem like older bridges last forever, but newer ones inevitably need to be replaced, like those power plants in SimCity that blow up after 50-100 years no matter how well they're maintained?

Survivorship bias.

100 year old bridges that are still standing are not a representative sample of bridges built 100 years ago - by virtue of the fact that they are still standing, they are inherently the ones with the greatest longevity.

Look through records of bridge replacements and you will find that most bridges built in the early 20th century are not still standing, and indeed many of them have been gone for half a century or more.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ixnay

Quote from: Duke87 on March 23, 2021, 06:21:15 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 13, 2021, 10:47:54 PM

Survivorship bias.

100 year old bridges that are still standing are not a representative sample of bridges built 100 years ago - by virtue of the fact that they are still standing, they are inherently the ones with the greatest longevity.

Take your pick... Sir Elton...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4Jx1oBviI

... or Taron Egerton...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLjO4msTk_w

ixnay

fmendes

anybody know what happened to the BQE from atlantic to sands i remember 2 years ago there was a whole commotion about it now its silent are they waiting until it falls down in great old NYC fashion

bluecountry

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 14, 2021, 05:32:36 PM
I drove the new sections of the Harlem River Dr/FDR Drive combo. 

NB, before the new left hand on-ramp, the markings make it seem like it goes t one lane just after the Exit 19 125th St off-ramp.  Why? There seems to be enough room to keep the 2-through lanes and the left lane on-ramp addition.

SB: it seems even worse, there's a huge wide lef-hand shoulder after the on-ramp from the 3rd Ave Bridge.  It seems the lanes could be extended longer and use up the pavement.

Or has the final lane striping not been done yet?

I-278:

HRD/FDR is not done yet....

fmendes

I personally think the city should experiment with ATM on the BQE because there's no room for widening tons of congestion and lots of secondary accidents and anything could help at this point they could do VMS signs with Lane use control signals variable speed limits and most of all ramp meters because lets all agree most of NYCs highway congestion comes from platoons caused by them installing a traffic signal every 500 ft  :-D this is especially true at the LIE interchange at Woodhaven boulevard but that's a completely different story but honestly I thing Active traffic management is the BQEs only alternative and also putting a police officer on the bridge over Hamilton ave to stop the last minute merging... what u guys think?

mariethefoxy

What bridge is in the intro to "Maude", I dont remember ever seeing any of the NYC area bridges with an inner reversible roadway.

paul02474

Quote from: mariethefoxy on April 02, 2021, 11:14:24 PM

What bridge is in the intro to "Maude", I dont remember ever seeing any of the NYC area bridges with an inner reversible roadway.

The George Washington Bridge had these lanes back in the day.

Alps

Quote from: paul02474 on April 03, 2021, 09:22:08 AM

It's like the Lincoln Tunnel!

empirestate

Quote from: paul02474 on April 03, 2021, 09:22:08 AM

Yes. And another clue is that this here is a picture of the George Washington Bridge. ;-)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.