News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmendes

Quote from: mariethefoxy on March 05, 2021, 04:28:50 AM
Quote from: fmendes on March 03, 2021, 11:07:36 AM
through some of my own investigation i was looking at how many trucks travel on the Cross Bronx Expressway alone the NYSDOT should make the left lane on the Cross Bronx into a (Truck-trailer) lane from just after the Bruckner interchange and will run express all the way over the Alexander Hamilton Bridge with intermittent entrance and exit points to access the Major Deegan and the Sheridan to some of the congestion from trucks now however this wont solve the weaving problem of trucks accessing the upper level from the major Deegan but it will open up some capacity and will allow for goods to move through the corridor more safely and efficiently. What are your thoughts on this?

They should just let the trucks use the lower level again
they should do this because of the latest security tech they could use and they could also do it during peak periods kind of like how they do it on the manhatten bridge

ixnay

through some of my own investigation i was looking at how many trucks travel on the Cross Bronx Expressway alone the NYSDOT should make the left lane on the Cross Bronx into a (Truck-trailer) lane from just after the Bruckner interchange and will run express all the way over the Alexander Hamilton Bridge with intermittent entrance and exit points to access the Major Deegan and the Sheridan to some of the congestion from trucks now however this wont solve the weaving problem of trucks accessing the upper level from the major Deegan but it will open up some capacity and will allow for goods to move through the corridor more safely and efficiently. What are your thoughts on this?

You mean once upon a time trucks could use the lower level of the GWB?  When were they banned?  What incident or study prompted it?  I know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Bridge says there was a jackknifing incident in 1977 where two trucks almost went off the lower deck but the article doesn't specifically say when trucks were banned.

ixnay

fmendes

Quote from: ixnay on March 08, 2021, 08:18:09 AM

You mean once upon a time trucks could use the lower level of the GWB?  When were they banned?  What incident or study prompted it?  I know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Bridge says there was a jackknifing incident in 1977 where two trucks almost went off the lower deck but the article doesn't specifically say when trucks were banned.

ixnay
trucks were banned on the Lower level of the GWB after 9/11 due to obvious reasons same with the Verrazano 

1995hoo

I recall when I was a kid, trucks were normally required to use the lower level on the Verrazano. Didn't travel over the GW Bridge often enough to recall the rule there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

fmendes

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2021, 09:51:12 PM
I recall when I was a kid, trucks were normally required to use the lower level on the Verrazano. Didn't travel over the GW Bridge often enough to recall the rule there.
trucks were allowed on all lower decks on NYC bridges until 9/11

fmendes

Does anybody got any news on the progress on phase 4 of the Kew Gardens interchange there rlly isnt any news coverage any more about it

1995hoo

Quote from: fmendes on March 09, 2021, 08:19:36 AM
trucks were allowed on all lower decks on NYC bridges until 9/11

Sure, but what I was referring to was that on the Verrazano they were normally required to use the lower level, whereas now the rule is precisely the reverse of that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

lepidopteran

I recall when I was a kid, trucks were normally required to use the lower level on the Verrazano.
Not only that, but in the Brooklyn direction, that requirement was used to keep trucks off the Belt Parkway.  They enforced it by designating the upper roadway "Cars Only", then coning-off the ramp that led from the lower deck to the giant loop ramp.  The lower roadway only read "Trucks"; I wonder how many cars intent on the Belt, though, wound up on the Gowanus by mistake.  There was a minimally-sized BGS reading "Belt Pkwy" pointing to the upper deck, but IMHO it was easily missed.

At night, back in the early '70s, ISTR the lower deck was often closed.  This and the other designations were communicated by short-but-wide, bulb-based VMS's.

Exactly once I remember the upper roadway being closed, in which case the traffic cones blocking that ramp were removed.

Alps

Quote from: lepidopteran on March 09, 2021, 06:54:46 PM
I recall when I was a kid, trucks were normally required to use the lower level on the Verrazano.
Not only that, but in the Brooklyn direction, that requirement was used to keep trucks off the Belt Parkway.  They enforced it by designating the upper roadway "Cars Only", then coning-off the ramp that led from the lower deck to the giant loop ramp.  The lower roadway only read "Trucks"; I wonder how many cars intent on the Belt, though, wound up on the Gowanus by mistake.  There was a minimally-sized BGS reading "Belt Pkwy" pointing to the upper deck, but IMHO it was easily missed.

At night, back in the early '70s, ISTR the lower deck was often closed.  This and the other designations were communicated by short-but-wide, bulb-based VMS's.

Exactly once I remember the upper roadway being closed, in which case the traffic cones blocking that ramp were removed.
ISTR they hadn't even built that connecting ramp from the Lower to the Belt for many years.

RobbieL2415

What exactly is stopping the completion of the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway to the Wantagh State Parkway?

The ROW is completely clear.

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 10, 2021, 03:29:19 PM
What exactly is stopping the completion of the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway to the Wantagh State Parkway?

Lack of need.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Probably NIMBYs, not that it makes sense to me either. From a traffic standpoint, I could see difficulties with taking 4 lanes from 135 into 4 lanes of the Wantagh (now 5 with an extra SB lane) and merging that all together at once. But I wouldn't write it off as "lack of need." There has to be a reason that they still have that ROW aside.

lepidopteran

Quote from: Alps on March 10, 2021, 12:10:36 AM
Quote from: lepidopteran on March 09, 2021, 06:54:46 PM

ISTR they hadn't even built that connecting ramp from the Lower to the Belt for many years.
It was no later than 1973 when the upper roadway was closed and thus the connecting ramp was accessible.  Still, that's about 9 years after the Verrazano opened.  But the lower deck itself didn't open until mid-1969.

vdeane

Quote from: Alps on March 10, 2021, 06:33:30 PM

Probably NIMBYs, not that it makes sense to me either. From a traffic standpoint, I could see difficulties with taking 4 lanes from 135 into 4 lanes of the Wantagh (now 5 with an extra SB lane) and merging that all together at once. But I wouldn't write it off as "lack of need." There has to be a reason that they still have that ROW aside.
I could see it being useful for the trucks, buses, and trailers, which currently must exit at NY 27 east.  Such would provide direct freeway access for all vehicle access to Jones Beach.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mapman1071

Quote from: vdeane on March 10, 2021, 09:30:28 PM

I could see it being useful for the trucks, buses, and trailers, which currently must exit at NY 27 east.  Such would provide direct freeway access for all vehicle access to Jones Beach.
Trucks and Buses are allowed on the Meadowbrook and Wantagh Parkways South of Merrick Road

RobbieL2415

It doesn't make sense to me to shoehorn everyone onto Merrick Ave. when you have a potential freeway-to-freeway connection a few thousand feet away.

fmendes

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 11, 2021, 07:42:49 AM

It doesn't make sense to me to shoehorn everyone onto Merrick Ave. when you have a potential freeway-to-freeway connection a few thousand feet away.
the reason they ruled it out because trucks are already allowed on the parkway South of Merrick rd. and and so i think it was a lack of need considering the Wantagh and NY-135 have connections to most major roadways. idk if u can tell I'm a truck driver but I usually take 135 to Merrick rd. or NY-27 mostly sunrise I stick too cause of the cameras but the amount of trucks that I see every day going there isnt rlly insane i mean i have taken 135 to jerusalem and i take Wantagh Ave to the pkwy when sunrise and merrick road is fucked and there are alot of trucks coming from there on a week day

ixnay

Quote from: mapman1071 on March 10, 2021, 11:55:03 PM

Trucks and Buses are allowed on the Meadowbrook and Wantagh Parkways South of Merrick Road

Good thing that they are.  Those trucks need access to Jones Beach to deliver construction materials, concession merchandise, deploy construction equipment, etc.  And group outings all but require buses.

ixnay

fmendes

Quote from: ixnay on March 11, 2021, 08:21:22 AM

Good thing that they are.  Those trucks need access to Jones Beach to deliver construction materials, concession merchandise, deploy construction equipment, etc.  And group outings all but require buses.

ixnay
yess that is i was delivering concrete to finish up the trail to captree but i would say the most of the trucks rlly come from long beach they take Nassau Expressway to Atlantic beach and go through long beach over there and take the loop thats for the guys that come from the city but when i used to work over in Inwood and sunrise and Conduit Ave was Clogged i would take the Loop and cut through long beach and shoot up nassau expressway to get back to the yard

vdeane

Not on the Wantagh northbound.

Quote from: fmendes on March 11, 2021, 08:04:48 AM

the reason they ruled it out because trucks are already allowed on the parkway South of Merrick rd. and and so i think it was a lack of need considering the Wantagh and NY-135 have connections to most major roadways. idk if u can tell I'm a truck driver but I usually take 135 to Merrick rd. or NY-27 mostly sunrise I stick too cause of the cameras but the amount of trucks that I see every day going there isnt rlly insane i mean i have taken 135 to jerusalem and i take Wantagh Ave to the pkwy when sunrise and merrick road is fucked and there are alot of trucks coming from there on a week day
Wouldn't it be more useful to give trucks/trailers (especially trailers) an all-freeway route rather than forcing them to go a roundabout way on Merrick (which isn't even a state route that far west)?  Seems like it would make life a lot simpler for many users.  Not sure how much buses are affected, but groups from elsewhere or express buses I could see finding that useful as well.  Then one could just take I-495/NY 135/Wantagh rather than local streets.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

fmendes

Quote from: vdeane on March 11, 2021, 12:59:57 PM

Not on the Wantagh northbound.

Quote from: fmendes on March 11, 2021, 08:04:48 AM

Wouldn't it be more useful to give trucks/trailers (especially trailers) an all-freeway route rather than forcing them to go a roundabout way on Merrick (which isn't even a state route that far west)?  Seems like it would make life a lot simpler for many users.  Not sure how much buses are affected, but groups from elsewhere or express buses I could see finding that useful as well.  Then one could just take I-495/NY 135/Wantagh rather than local streets.
its not considerably bad actually i mean there not rlly cutting through local streets because merrick road and sunrise highway are truck routes alot of trucks do use merrick road but i try to avoid it when i can because of the cameras yk

SignBridge

Completing Rt.135 from Merrick Rd. to the Wantagh Pkwy. would be good as a direct route for trucks and busses but I don't think NYS DOT would be willing to spend the big bucks to build it just for that reason.

In addition, it would be legally difficult to build because the route passes thru wetlands with environmental concerns, which gets complicated. That legal complexity did not yet exist in the 1950's and early 60's when those original plans were made. And there would surely be NIMBY opposition as well.

Roadgeek Adam

Route 135 isn't getting extended in either direction due to NIMBYs.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

mariethefoxy

its not terrible, just a few traffic lights on Merrick Road till you get to 135. Its a decent alternative to cars as well coming back from the beach since everyone goes up to the southern state which gets backed up badly in that area.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 12, 2021, 12:23:50 AM
Route 135 isn't getting extended in either direction due to NIMBYs.
I'm not sure they have a leg to stand on at the southern terminus. The ROW is still clear.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.