News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

Those reversible lanes were abolished after the lower-level was opened in the mid-1960's.

roadman65

Is the RFK bridge include the Harlem River Lift Bridge and Bronx Kills Bridges too?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on April 05, 2021, 12:48:47 AM
Is the RFK bridge include the Harlem River Lift Bridge and Bronx Kills Bridges too?

You mean, as opposed to only the East River span, with the entire complex still referred to as Triborough? That's a good question...turns out it's all three.

roadman65

I figured it was all the same, but it is also to be unofficial the name of the LIE west of I-678 too.  Yet everyone calls all of I-495 the LIE, even though its official designation is the Horace Harding Expressway from the Midtown Tunnel to the Fairgrounds interchange.    I always called it the Triboro the whole way, but was wondering if the paperwork also included it or is like the LIE.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Roadman65, Horace Harding Expwy. is the official name of the service roads that parallel the L.I.E. in Queens. That's what's on the street signs. I don't know why they call the service roads an "Expressway" instead of H.H. Boulevard which is the road that was there before the Expressway was built.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on April 06, 2021, 08:40:00 PM
Roadman65, Horace Harding Expwy. is the official name of the service roads that parallel the L.I.E. in Queens. That's what's on the street signs. I don't know why they call the service roads an "Expressway" instead of H.H. Boulevard which is the road that was there before the Expressway was built.
Because the Horace Harding Expwy is the freeway, so the service roads share its name. Look at the Cross Bronx and others.

roadman65

Actually not, Texas too signs interstate frontage roads as such.  The street blades reference the actual freeway here. Just as people refer to all of NY 9A in Manhattan as The Westside Highway when it's not, ditto for all of I-495 as being the LIE. 

Sheryl Crowe

TheGrassGuy

Sorry if this isn't really on topic... but why is there, like, no 2008 GSV imagery in New York City?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

crispy93

Quote from: mariethefoxy on April 02, 2021, 11:14:24 PM

What bridge is in the intro to "Maude", I dont remember ever seeing any of the NYC area bridges with an inner reversible roadway.

As others said, the GWB. That intro sequence also has some very brief shots of the elevated West Side Highway. The show took place in Tuckahoe (Westchester).
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

crispy93

Anyone try out that new ramp from the Triboro's Manhattan leg to the northbound HRD? I took it once or twice last winter. It's definitely easier than taking local streets. https://patch.com/new-york/harlem/new-harlem-river-drive-ramp-opens-easing-neighborhood-traffic

The signs are hard to read and come up on you fast, just like the 278/Manhattan signs when crossing the Bronx span of the bridge

dgolub

Quote from: crispy93 on April 16, 2021, 11:56:37 AM
Anyone try out that new ramp from the Triboro's Manhattan leg to the northbound HRD? I took it once or twice last winter. It's definitely easier than taking local streets. https://patch.com/new-york/harlem/new-harlem-river-drive-ramp-opens-easing-neighborhood-traffic

The signs are hard to read and come up on you fast, just like the 278/Manhattan signs when crossing the Bronx span of the bridge

Yes, I drove it shortly after it opened last year.  It's a huge improvement over what was there before.

SignBridge

I did not know this ramp had even been built. I'll have to try it soon. Surprisingly I did not especially mind the detour on the local street. It was a minor inconvenience, but I'm glad to hear about the ramp.

bluecountry

When is the Harlem River Drive/FDR project going to be done?
Why is the FDR in the UES so congested now during the pandemic on weekdays?

Roadgeekteen

Any chance of speed limit 55 making it into NYC? Even just Staten Island?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 11:36:24 AM
same chance as mile based exit numbers

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on April 26, 2021, 06:38:40 PM
I swear New York is the most stubborn state in the union...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 06:39:10 PM

New York abstains, courteously.

SignBridge

I think that honor should go to Connecticut. I believe they were the last to finally allow the raising of speed limits from the double-nickel.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SignBridge on April 26, 2021, 09:00:23 PM

I think that honor should go to Connecticut. I believe they were the last to finally allow the raising of speed limits from the double-nickel.
Hawaii was the last one.

crispy93

I posted about this a few pages back on this NYC Roads thread. NYCDOT and NYSDOT insist that the other agency is responsible for raising the speed limit. 50 mph is absurd on SI, especially the West Shore Expwy (meets interstate highway standards as far as I can see and is decidedly suburban). So I then wrote to the SI borough commissioner who just gave me the stock reply about vision zero and the 25 mph speed limit (which was changed like 7 years ago at this point).

crispy93

Came here to discuss this actually. I drove up the Hutch last weekend and there are ground-mounted OLD EXIT 5 (and 6 and 7) with the word OLD covered up. Also, the exit tabs seem to be new and reflective, but still have the sequential number and attached to old guide signs:

noelbotevera

I drove in New York for the first time in my life. Which isn't as bad as people say it is - have common sense and you'll be fine. As is tradition, notes:

-Construction on the Kew Gardens interchange is progressing nicely. Definitely loved the new pavement after dealing with potholes and patchwork in Jamaica. From what I can tell, the ramps to the Interboro are being realigned, though signage isn't very good (you have to follow signage for Queens Blvd and slip into a narrow gap between concrete barriers to merge onto the Interboro).
-Old news, but the new Kosciuszko Bridge is neat. I appreciate the four lanes on the BQE WB.
-While I missed out on the Upper Level views on the Queensboro (my route from Jersey to Queens, where my hotel was in, was Lincoln Tunnel -> 42nd -> 3rd Ave -> 59th -> Queensboro -> Northern Blvd), the Manhattan Bridge is always a delight. Best views of the Brooklyn Bridge while in a car.
-Speaking of the Lincoln Tunnel, I'm surprised they don't try to split traffic evenly. West 40th Street is signed to "9th Avenue and South" while West 42nd is the preferred route to FDR Drive. Considering both streets are two lanes, may as well sign both as useable routes.
-So who's responsible for maintenance in the city? It seems NYSDOT Region 11 takes a back seat to NYCDOT, since NYCDOT is in charge of signals and maintenance.

Oh, and my brother experienced a New Yorker's rite of passage: getting their car towed and having to get it back from the impound lot. Probably second behind a parking ticket.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

vdeane

Region 11 only does capital program projects.  Everything that would be handled by a maintenance residency/subresidency in the other regions is done by NYCDOT.  The expressways are owned by NYSDOT, most surface streets are owned by NYC, and the parkways are complicated.  And, of course, many bridges/tunnels are owned by the MTA or Port Authority.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignBridge

What's the story with the parkways in NYC? Is it the NYC Parks Dept?

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on April 28, 2021, 10:14:51 PM
What's the story with the parkways in NYC? Is it the NYC Parks Dept?
Parkway is just a name for a type of state highway. It follows the same pattern as other state highways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.