News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Sorry State of Affairs in Automobilia in the 1970s, 80s and 90s

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 30, 2016, 11:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 05, 2020, 04:53:08 PM
Should we said goodbye to Mitsubishi soon?
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/06/mitsubishi-in-america-slow-fade-out-ahead/
Mitsubishi watched as its U.S. and Canadian volumes rose steadily over the past several years – growth hampered by a limited product lineup and so-so vehicle quality. Still, it was growth, and Mitsu made sure to celebrate each year-over-year sales increase.

Well, that was then, and this is now. As a member of an alliance dominated by Renault and Nissan and hit hard, like many others, by the coronavirus pandemic, the future holds a different strategy for the Japanese automaker. For the U.S., it also seems to hold fewer Mitsubishis.

Previously, Mitsu targeted North America and China for its future growth. Now, with its alliance partners insisting on a concerted, collective effort in which each member capitalizes on individual strengths in a limited number of markets, Mitsu now plans to abandon its previous growth plan.

In a shareholders meeting last week (reported on by Automotive News), the automaker's CEO, Takao Kato, announced a turn away from North America and China. The company's focus will now be on Southeast Asia and Pacific nations.

What does turning away from North America look like compared to their barely-existent foot print now?

I have a Mitsu dealer a town over from me. They advertise locally and try to talk up the cars hard, but the dealer lot is 3/4 used cars of a different make. I think they've known the writing on the wall for a while now.

JREwing78

Quote from: GCrites80s on June 02, 2020, 08:48:12 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 01, 2020, 02:06:00 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 13, 2020, 12:24:58 AM
2010: Kills off all remaining 4-speed automatics.

The 2011 Chevrolet HHR had a 4 speed automatic.

My 2012 Colorado has a 4-speed automatic.

The 2020 Dodge Journey STILL comes with a 4-speed automatic.

Takumi

I think we'll see Infiniti close before Mitsubishi leaves the US. Infiniti's sales are even more dire.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 05, 2020, 05:59:26 PM
Quote from: GCrites80s on June 02, 2020, 08:48:12 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 01, 2020, 02:06:00 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 13, 2020, 12:24:58 AM
2010: Kills off all remaining 4-speed automatics.

The 2011 Chevrolet HHR had a 4 speed automatic.

My 2012 Colorado has a 4-speed automatic.

The 2020 Dodge Journey STILL comes with a 4-speed automatic.

My Sister has one of those as a work take home car.  She loves it because it hauls thing and family...like a Minivan would.  It even looks like a Minivan aside from the lack of sliding doors. 

Tonytone

Quote from: Takumi on July 05, 2020, 06:43:02 PM
I think we'll see Infiniti close before Mitsubishi leaves the US. Infiniti's sales are even more dire.
Infiniti? What will soccer moms & teens with daddy money that make 50-70k per year drive!??!??!!

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Tonytone

Quote from: Takumi on July 05, 2020, 04:39:07 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 05, 2020, 01:17:02 PM
Quote from: DJStephens on July 05, 2020, 12:52:51 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on May 12, 2020, 09:49:47 PM
Anyone know if there is a correlation between heavy bodies on cars & weak transmissions being the reason cars in the 90's do not last at all.

It seems any used vehicle in the 90's transmission is completely trashed.

Hmm. I have two early nineties Buicks.  But both have the more durable three speed THM 125 versus later four speed autos.   Both have the more durable Buick V-6 versus the later weaker 60 degree V-6.  They both still run and are drivable.
It seems to be more of a late 90's issue or different use of cheaper material.

Also it could be how well the person took care of the car.

But my god the amount of destroyed transmissions on 98-2000 cars ive seen is amazing. There are more cars from the 80s running.
In some cases, the engines were mated to transmissions that weren't able to handle their power output. In the case of turn of the century Hondas, they had introduced a manual shift mode for many of their automatic cars, mainly V6s, but a bad internal design caused them to fail prematurely when said mode was used.
Yea that makes sense. It seems cars/trucks have really rebounded in the current years. The only issue now is the added cost of electronics & motors that can burn out & will be costly to replace. Ex; the new 2021 GMC. Luxury but many things to replace if they break.

iPhone

Takumi

Quote from: Tonytone on July 05, 2020, 07:09:40 PM
Infiniti? What will soccer moms & teens with daddy money that make 50-70k per year drive!??!??!!
Lexus

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Tonytone

Quote from: Takumi on July 05, 2020, 09:06:10 PM
Lexus
Thats a good substitute. I rest my case.

iPhone

Sctvhound

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 05, 2020, 04:53:08 PM
Should we said goodbye to Mitsubishi soon?
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/06/mitsubishi-in-america-slow-fade-out-ahead/
Mitsubishi watched as its U.S. and Canadian volumes rose steadily over the past several years – growth hampered by a limited product lineup and so-so vehicle quality. Still, it was growth, and Mitsu made sure to celebrate each year-over-year sales increase.

Well, that was then, and this is now. As a member of an alliance dominated by Renault and Nissan and hit hard, like many others, by the coronavirus pandemic, the future holds a different strategy for the Japanese automaker. For the U.S., it also seems to hold fewer Mitsubishis.

Previously, Mitsu targeted North America and China for its future growth. Now, with its alliance partners insisting on a concerted, collective effort in which each member capitalizes on individual strengths in a limited number of markets, Mitsu now plans to abandon its previous growth plan.

In a shareholders meeting last week (reported on by Automotive News), the automaker's CEO, Takao Kato, announced a turn away from North America and China. The company's focus will now be on Southeast Asia and Pacific nations.

The Charleston area (a rather large metropolitan area) has no Mitsubishi dealerships, and hasn't had one for over a year. The one that was open closed because they had defrauded banks and falsified down payments.

https://abcnews4.com/news/crime-news/fbi-charleston-hoover-mitsubishi

Kia, meanwhile, has two very popular dealerships.

thenetwork

Lexus

Except they won't splurge for the optional turn signals...

Takumi

Quote from: thenetwork on July 06, 2020, 09:20:52 AM
Lexus

You're thinking of BMWs.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Takumi on July 06, 2020, 11:00:10 AM
You're thinking of BMWs.

I never understood why people with fancy cars often forego the use of turn signals.  You would think, if people want to show off their fancy cars, they'd want to show off all the features.  "Look at my fancy turn signals on my fancy car," is what I would have thought they would think.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

RobbieL2415

I'm surprised Chrysler didn't just buy Mitsubishi in the 90s when they started sharing power trains.

Tonytone

Quote from: stridentweasel on July 06, 2020, 01:42:49 PM
You're thinking of BMWs.

I never understood why people with fancy cars often forego the use of turn signals.  You would think, if people want to show off their fancy cars, they'd want to show off all the features.  "Look at my fancy turn signals on my fancy car," is what I would have thought they would think.
Too fancy to use the turn signal. The turn signal is only for decoration

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 06, 2020, 04:50:46 PM
I'm surprised Chrysler didn't just buy Mitsubishi in the 90s when they started sharing power trains.

Still would have cost a considerable amount of money for an outright buyout.  Still, I wonder though if that would have put Chrysler in a worse position if they bet big on smaller vehicles?  Trucks and CUVs/SUVs really are all the rage right now in the automotive market.  Chrysler was one of the first automaker to essentially bail on passenger cars which is now becoming something everyone else is copying.  As bad as the Daimler/Chrysler the latter sure got their money's worth out of the LX cars. 

J N Winkler

Quote from: Tonytone on July 06, 2020, 05:29:51 PMToo fancy to use the turn signal. The turn signal is only for decoration

If you put your finger on the turn signal stalk to use it, it eventually starts showing wear and then the nice lovely BMW is no longer pristine.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Tonytone

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 06, 2020, 07:32:25 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 06, 2020, 05:29:51 PMToo fancy to use the turn signal. The turn signal is only for decoration

If you put your finger on the turn signal stalk to use it, it eventually starts showing wear and then the nice lovely BMW is no longer pristine.
Holy shit you're right & then it goes to auction & sells for half the price.

Remember folks get a good luxury car from an auction or 3rd party seller for 80% the original price.

Unless you have the money to buy a car out fully. Id do that too.

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 06, 2020, 07:32:25 PM

As opposed to the almost total lack of detailing most BMW owners do on their exteriors?  I've seen some mighty bad BMW paint fade of roof panels out west. 

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 06, 2020, 05:48:32 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 06, 2020, 04:50:46 PM

Still would have cost a considerable amount of money for an outright buyout.  Still, I wonder though if that would have put Chrysler in a worse position if they bet big on smaller vehicles?  Trucks and CUVs/SUVs really are all the rage right now in the automotive market.  Chrysler was one of the first automaker to essentially bail on passenger cars which is now becoming something everyone else is copying.  As bad as the Daimler/Chrysler the latter sure got their money's worth out of the LX cars.
To be clear I'm only talked my about Mitsubishi Motors, not the whole company. I don't want Chrysler making cheap TVs and jetskiis

formulanone

You’re thinking of BMWs.

It's more about being able to drive fast and not care what anyone else thinks. Definitely depends on the area; in my neck of the woods, you don't see as much of that, though it's usually by somebody in their locomotive-shaped pickup with a YETI sticker on the back who doesn't understand why you're not entirely on the ass of the vehicle in front.

Though I think late-model (since 2010?) Mustang owners like to show off their sequential signal lights. I see some recent Audis have it, too.

Tonytone

Quote from: formulanone on July 07, 2020, 09:05:57 PM
You're thinking of BMWs.

It's more about being able to drive fast and not care what anyone else thinks. Definitely depends on the area; in my neck of the woods, you don't see as much of that, though it's usually by somebody in their locomotive-shaped pickup with a YETI sticker on the back who doesn't understand why you're not entirely on the ass of the vehicle in front.

Though I think late-model (since 2010?) Mustang owners like to show off their sequential signal lights. I see some recent Audis have it, too.
+1 great explanation.

iPhone

Tonytone

So under the buick line up from 90 2000 generation what do you guys think about them?

I think they are the last car to have that old school look on them but they are 100% cop stoppers now a days, I dont know how people looked at them back then.

They are definitely a good car if they are clean & nice even though I prefer the 80s box model more.

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on July 08, 2020, 10:19:13 PM
So under the buick line up from 90 2000 generation what do you guys think about them?

I think they are the last car to have that old school look on them but they are 100% cop stoppers now a days, I dont know how people looked at them back then.

They are definitely a good car if they are clean & nice even though I prefer the 80s box model more.

iPhone

Grandpa cars, especially the Roadmaster.  It's a shame too since the B Body was a great platform to build a sleeper car on.  A lot of Caprices have been tarted out to Impala SS replicas.   

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 08, 2020, 11:19:47 PM

iPhone

Grandpa cars, especially the Roadmaster.  It's a shame too since the B Body was a great platform to build a sleeper car on.  A lot of Caprices have been tarted out to Impala SS replicas.
Definitely. Buick went down hill, but they have come back in recent years.

I see caprices are the new undercover cop cars nowadays.

Cars like the Impala SS are beautiful. With the right set of rims & mods it can be a nice vehicle.

If I had the money I would put hydraulics on that impala oldschool. 

iPhone

RobbieL2415

iPhone
In general with GM

Buy:
-G body
-H body
-C Body
-Epsilon body
-S body (NUMMI platform shared with Toyota for the Geo Prizim and Toyota Camry)

Avoid:
U body (minivan platform)
W-Body (ie Chevy Luminas. They were built very poorly.)
GMT 330

Check for defects:
N-bodies
J-bodies

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.