News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

IA 163 extended to Burlington

Started by Revive 755, October 18, 2009, 11:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Alex

QuoteAvenue of the Saints, or U.S. 27, that connects St. Louis, Mo., to St. Paul, Minn., also is known as U.S. 218 in southeast Iowa.

U.S. 27 was truncated from Michigan so it could be sent to Iowa!  :wow:

Chris

The difference between a State Highway and a U.S. Highway is obviously too hard for the average editor  :spin:

usends

Wow, great timing on this thread - I was just about to publish street maps of Burlington and Mt. Pleasant, but now I'll add IA 163 markers before we go to press.  Also, I noticed this means a new quad-plex in Iowa: a two-mile stretch of the Mt. Pleasant bypass will be US 34 / US 218 / IA 27 / IA 163.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

agentsteel53

on a slightly related note, is the black guide sign at the junction of 163 and US-63 still around?  does anyone know?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

brad2971

So, for consistency's sake, when is IADOT going to extend IA 60 to the Nebraska border (sharing I-129/US20/US75)? Heck, since it's obvious that neither IA nor MN want to widen US75 (especially since the border crossing @Noyes remains closed), why not truncate US75 to South Sioux City?

Revive 755

Quote from: brad2971 on October 19, 2009, 06:04:07 PM
So, for consistency's sake, when is IADOT going to extend IA 60 to the Nebraska border (sharing I-129/US20/US75)? Heck, since it's obvious that neither IA nor MN want to widen US75 (especially since the border crossing @Noyes remains closed), why not truncate US75 to South Sioux City?

Probably when IA 330 gets extended down US 65 to I-80.  For both of these cases just having a "To IA xx" sign before the exit, similar to how Illinois signs I-24 for EB I-64 traffic around Mt. Vernon.  IA 163 and IA 27 both required a few more "turns" to stay on the expressway route.

It would certainly be nice if Iowa would treat the state routes for the Burlignton-Des Moines and Avenue of the Saints routes as the main routes and post mile markers and control cities for them.

Revive 755

Had a chance to see the progress on the signing of the IA 163 extension this week, but the lousy rain prevented getting any photos.  It seems the signage is better the further west one goes.  At Mt. Pleasant, only some of the BGS have IA 163, and many of them use very small IA 163 and US 34 shields.  Stand alone IA 163 did not appear until IA 163 merged with US 63.

On a related note, Mile Marker 2 on IA 163 in Des Moines features a US 163 shield.

Revive 755

I took at look at the eastern end of IA 163 today, which is east of the cable-stayed part of the Mississippi River Bridge.  There's also a Begin IA 163 assembly for westbound traffic almost at the exact same spot westbound - is this the only begin route assembly in Iowa?

Maybe Illinois could make it IL 163 along US 34 up to I 80 . Iowa could send us extra signs but I think we use squares and thye use circles.

iowahighways

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 22, 2010, 10:00:50 PM
There's also a Begin IA 163 assembly for westbound traffic almost at the exact same spot westbound - is this the only begin route assembly in Iowa?
I know there is a "BEGIN" assembly for IA 330 northbound ("BEGIN NORTH 330") just past the intersection with US 65, but they are rare in Iowa.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.