News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Your first clinch?

Started by CapeCodder, July 17, 2016, 07:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compdude787

Good question. Some of this stuff is hard to remember; it was only recently when I started keeping track of this information.

I think the first state highway I clinched was WA 523 since that's the route we'd often drive on when coming home from my grandparent's house, and I sure spent a lot of time there from a very young age. :D That and going to swim lessons. I'm not sure which state highway I first clinched as a driver. I know that the first road I ever drove on was Index-Galena Road up at my cabin. This was the next step after driving in a big parking lot.

I don't think I've clinched an entire US highway within any state.

The first Interstate Highway I clinched in its entirety within a whole state was I-90 in Washington and Idaho, when our family drove to a family reunion in Colorado. And we also clinched I-82 on the way home. The first 3di and also the first Interstate highway I clinched while driving was I-405 in Seattle.

pumpkineater2

My first clinch was Interstate 17, my favorite road.
My second was AZ loop 303, AZ 51 was my 3rd, loop 202 was my 4th, AZ 74 was my 5th clinch, which I just did yesterday, and loop 101 will be my next, as I've only got a few miles I haven't traveled on.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on July 28, 2016, 01:06:26 AM
My first clinch was Interstate 17, my favorite road.
My second was AZ loop 303, AZ 51 was my 3rd, loop 202 was my 4th, AZ 74 was my 5th clinch, which I just did yesterday, and loop 101 will be my next, as I've only got a few miles I haven't traveled on.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a state highway clinch thread pop up yet.  I would imagine that would be pretty time consuming for most people, I want to say off the top of my head that 83 and 264 might be the only state highways in Arizona that I haven't clinched fully. 

bzakharin

As a passenger:
NJ 154 or NJ 55 or NJ 347 possibly on the same trip
NJ Turnpike
I-476

As a driver:
NJ 154 or NJ 24 within a few weeks of each other
Atlantic City Expressway
I-195 (NJ) or I-280 (NJ) or I-276 (PA) within a few weeks of each other

No US routes yet oddly enough

Rothman

I can only guess at the first state highway clinch.  I'm thinking MA 63.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

epzik8

Either I-895 between Lombard Street and the I-95 merge in Baltimore, or I-95 itself between O'Donnell/Boston Street in Baltimore and Maryland Route 152 about 17 miles to the northeast. I was born at Johns Hopkins, and live in Harford County to the north and east of the city. It was the spring of 1995 and I rode home in a Mazda 626.

As a driver, I believe my first interstate clinch was I-95 between Smithfield and Lumberton, North Carolina on the way to my annual Myrtle Beach vacation; I was 16 and only had my learner's permit. My first U.S. highway clinch was U.S. Route 74 from Lumberton to Chadbourn, and my first state clinch was North Carolina Route 410 from there to just north of Tabor City where it merges into U.S. 701.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Super Mateo

State Route: IL 7.  Not much of a challenge there as both endpoints are within 25 miles of my location.
US Route: None, but I'm getting really close on US 35.  Only the stretch between US 36 and I-70 in eastern Indiana remains.
Interstate: I-294.  I also finished off I-280 (IA/IL) earlier this year.

noelbotevera

Now that I recall more memories, here's a more revised list:

First State Route: NC 711, Lumberton to Pembroke (about a couple months after I was born, I think November 2004)
First US Route: US 501, Myrtle Beach SC to Buena Vista VA (I think this was around spring 2005, where we went to Lexington VA and drove Skyline Drive. Also in 2005 we went south on US 501 to Myrtle Beach as part of a vacation in summer 2005)
First Interstate: I-74, all segments as of 2005 (this was all just to hunt for good BBQ). More freeway has been built ever since I left in 2006, so technically this is now an obsolete clinch.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

SD Mapman

First clinch: I-90 Bus in Spearfish
First state clinch: probably WY 110 (or maybe SD 231 or SD 445... I can't remember).
First Interstate clinch: I-190 (Rapid City)
First US clinch: US 73
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

8.Lug

Either I-490 or I-390 in NY. Not sure which.

Living in Rochester at the time; I know I did the eastern half of I-490 in 1998 when I drove my friend to Rhode Island to see his dad, but I don't know if I had driven the western half yet. But I do know I took I-390 in 1999 when I went to Atlanta.
Contrary to popular belief, things are exactly as they seem.

triplemultiplex

WI 111.
US 8 was my first and only US highway clinch for a long time until I started traveling for work.
I-535 was the first interstate.  I-39, the first mainline interstate.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

7/8

Quote from: 7/8 on July 17, 2016, 09:06:44 PM
My first clinched highways would likely be the 403, 405, 416, 420 and QEW since they're all close to where I've lived.

My first clinched roads in the US would likely be I-295, DC 295 and MD 295 which I did when I was around 4 years old.

Now that I think about it, my first clinch would likely be the 410. I was born in Mississauga, and I lived off Bovaird Dr in Brampton, which at the time was the northern terminus of the 410. Unfortunately I haven't been on the new section north of Sandalwood Parkway, so I can no longer list it as "clinched" :-/

UPDATE August 7th: I finally drove on the 410 extension, so I've reclaimed this clinch :)

jbnati27

For me, it's probably I-675 around Dayton, Ohio. I drove the whole thing when it was first opened.

For 2 digit interstates, it's probably I-26, and I had to go back and do that one again after it was extended into Tennessee.

ET21

I-190 after a trip, going in and out of O'Hare. More significant one was I-355 after the extension
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Buffaboy

I'd have to imagine both as a passenger and driver it would be NY 179.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Bickendan

State highway: CA 57. Held true even when it was extended north from the Kellogg Interchange toward San Dimas.
US highway: US 199
Interstate: I-210, prior to CA 210's establishment. (I don't have the CA 110 segment in San Pedro). Post CA 210, I-405 in Oregon.

countysigns

As a passenger - probably I-280 in Ohio, from I-75 down to the Turnpike.
As a driver - probably I-280 in Ohio, from I-75 down to the Turnpike.  I think my "most significant" clinch to me was clinching I-90 from the Minnesota/Wisconsin line all the way to I-86 in Pennsylvania.

Bruce

Passenger: WA-96, probably...
Driver: I-405
On foot: WA-519 in Downtown Seattle
On water taxi: WA-339
By bus: WA-522

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.