News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Non-Interstate Expressways -- Numbered Exits???

Started by thenetwork, October 29, 2009, 04:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

This is kind of a spin off from the thread discussing mileage-based exit numbers vs. consecutive numbers:

How many states label non-interstate freeways with exit numbers (either mileage based or consecutive)?

Some states, like US-23 in Southeast Michigan label all exits on the mainline (mileage-based from the OH/MI line)

Others, like Ohio (with the exception of a couple small stretches of SR-2 & SR-10 in Lorain County -- and there is no REAL logic for the numbering) leave non-interstate routes unnumbered and gore exit signs are simple generic EXIT signs.

What do the majority of the states do with freeways on non-interstate routes?

jdb1234

In Alabama, with the exception of Corridor X, non-interstate freeways do not have exit numbers.

Florida uses mileage based exit numbers on the toll roads.

Alex

Delaware numbers the interchanges along the SR 1 Turnpike with kilometer based numbers counting from the Maryland state line to Delaware 58. Delaware 141 uses a sequential based numbering system.

Florida toll roads generally use a mileage-based exit numbering system. Though roads like Florida Toll 836 have no exit numbers, and the only exit signed with a number on Florida Toll 112, is for Exit 7.

OracleUsr

NC very frequently numbers their exits on non-Interstate highways:  US 64 from Rocky Mount to Plymouth, US 264 from Wilson to Greenville, US 421 in parts of the state, US 220 (okay, that's soon to be I-73/74), US 17...
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Brandon

Illinois does not seem to use exit numbers on non-interstate freeways.  There are none on IL-394, IL-53, Lake Shore Drive, US-20 (Elgin & Rockford), the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway, or IL-255.

Indiana does use exit numbers on some non-interstate freeways.  There are numbers on IN-912, but I don't think there are on US-31 and US-20 (South Bend/Elkhart).

Wisconsin does use exit numbers on their non-interstate freeways.

Michigan uses exit numbers on US-31, US-131, US-23, M-14, M-39, and M-10.  US-127 did not used to have exit numbers, IIRC.  No idea if it does now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

WillWeaverRVA

Most non-interstate freeways in Virginia lack exit numbers.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

PAHighways

Most of PennDOT's non-Interstate limited-access roadways do not have exit numbers.  The only routes that have them are:

US 6/Governor Robert P. Casey Highway
PA 28/Allegheny Valley Expressway
PA 29/South Cross Valley Expressway
PA 60/Beaver Valley Expressway
PA 309/Crossvalley Expressway
PA 378
PA 581/Harrisburg Expressway

InterstateNG

Quote from: Brandon on October 29, 2009, 05:49:11 PM

Michigan uses exit numbers on US-31, US-131, US-23, M-14, M-39, and M-10.  US-127 did not used to have exit numbers, IIRC.  No idea if it does now.

Michigan seems to be adding numbers to US 127 during resigning efforts.  Exits around Lansing now have numbers.  US-10 didn't have numbers when I was up there last.
I demand an apology.

roadfro

There's only a couple non-Interstate expressway facilities (primarily freeways) in Nevada, and most of these have exit numbers (all exit numbers are mileage based).

* US 95 northwest of I-15 in Las Vegas - This is a full freeway facility which has had exit numbers since at least 1986 (if not earlier). Portions used to be expressway with at-grade intersections, which got exit numbers when interchanges were constructed.

* US 395 in Reno and Carson City - Again, full freeway with interchanges and exit numbers. Most of the route in Reno (south of I-80) and all of it in Carson City is planned to become part of I-580 once future construction is finished. Exit numbering uses mileage of US 395 and not the future interstate.

* Las Vegas Beltway / Clark County Route 215 - This route has been built as part freeway and part expressway.  Interchanges on freeway segments have exit numbers, but intersections on expressway segments have not had numbers until upgraded.  Exit numbers incorporate the I-215 alignment in Henderson, since it's the same facility.

The only freeway in Nevada that doesn't have exit numbers is Summerlin Parkway.  The city of Las Vegas maintains this facility without any posted exit numbers, mileposts, or specialized route shields.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

tdindy88

I think Indiana 912 is the only highway that does have exit numbers for non-interstates in Indiana. All others have no numbered exits, although I believe INDOT does have them recorded with an exit number in their logs.

mightyace

In Tennessee, it's mixed.

TN 840 has exit numbers.
TN 155 (Briley Parkway) in Nashville has exit numbers.
TN 386 Vietnam Veterens Blvd. on Nashville's north side has them.
TN 153 which goes by Chattanooga's airport has them.

TN 396 (Saturn Parkway) near Spring Hill does not.
The few true exits on the US 43-412 expressway around Columbia, do not.
The section of TN 111 just south of Cookeville does not.
The Alcoa Highway (US 129) and James White Parkway (TN 158) in Knoxville do not.

Hidden I-124 (US 27) in Chatttanooga has numbers south of the Tennessee River and, according to Google street view, maybe a few north of it, but the bulk of it and the southern TN 111 freeway do not.

I haven't covered western Tennessee as I'm not that familiar with the roads there.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Duke87

Connecticut numbers exits on all non-interstate freeways of significant length, though some shorter freeway bits are unnumbered. Especially quirky in this regard, is the freeway section of US 7 just south of I-84, which has no exit numbers, but does have exit tabs on its BGSs.

New York generally numbers its exits, although, significantly, the Sprain Brook Parkway remains unnumbered and the Taconic State Parkway has exit numbers but they haven't been signed in years. 
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

njroadhorse

New Jersey only uses them on NJ 24 and NJ 21 IIRC.  Most non-Interstate freeways aren't long enough to merit exit numbers.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

mightyace

Quote from: njroadhorse on October 29, 2009, 08:08:00 PM
New Jersey only uses them on NJ 24 and NJ 21 IIRC.  Most non-Interstate freeways aren't long enough to merit exit numbers.

With the obvious exceptions of the Garden State Parkway, New Jersey Turnpike and Atlantic City Expressway.  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

WNYroadgeek

New York doesn't number non-interstate expressways (with the exceptions of NY 390, NY 590, NY 690, NY 790, and NY 890, though all of those are just continuations of their interstate counterparts.)

Bryant5493

U.S. 78/Stone Mountain Freeway, U.S.80/J.R. Allen Parkway and Georgia 400 are the only freeways/non-Interstates that I can think of in Georgia that are numbered. These divided highways use the sequential-based exit numbering system.

Personally, I think freeway/expressways should have exit numbers. They're quite helpful.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

froggie

Aside from US 78, Mississippi does not.

Minnesota only recently (as part of the Rochester reconstruction) added them to a stretch of US 52.  Aside from that, their policy has been not to add them to the non-Interstates.

Both Iowa and Vermont use exit numbers on non-Interstates.  Iowa even uses them on non-freeway segments of highway that happen to have interchanges.

In Maryland, it's a toss-up.  MD 4, MD 5, MD 10, and MD 295 don't.  But MD 32, MD 100, US 50, and US 340 do...and for US 50 I'm talking much more than just the hidden I-595 stretch...they go all the way from the DC line to the 50/301 split on the Eastern Shore.

Terry Shea

Michigan uses exit numbers on US-31, US-131, US-23, M-14, M-39, and M-10.  US-127 did not used to have exit numbers, IIRC.  No idea if it does now.
It does now.  I believe all freeways in Michigan now have exit numbers or will shortly.  M-6 is another one to add to that list.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on October 29, 2009, 07:03:48 PM
Most of PennDOT's non-Interstate limited-access roadways do not have exit numbers.  The only routes that have them are:

US 6/Governor Robert P. Casey Highway
PA 28/Allegheny Valley Expressway
PA 29/South Cross Valley Expressway
PA 60/Beaver Valley Expressway
PA 309/Crossvalley Expressway
PA 378
PA 581/Harrisburg Expressway

You forgot US-422 in the Kittanning area where it has "A" and "B" exits with PA-66. lol.

getemngo

Quote from: InterstateNG on October 29, 2009, 07:06:24 PM

Michigan seems to be adding numbers to US 127 during resigning efforts.  Exits around Lansing now have numbers.  US-10 didn't have numbers when I was up there last.

I'm pretty sure that all of US-127 has numbered exits now.  Even the M-57 exit on the non-freeway portion is marked as Exit 109!  No idea about US-10, though.
~ Sam from Michigan

myosh_tino

When the exit numbering project is completed, all freeway exits within California will be numbered.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Marc

Quote from: jdb1234 on October 29, 2009, 04:42:59 PM
In Alabama, with the exception of Corridor X, non-interstate freeways do not have exit numbers.
Same goes for Mississippi.

Bickendan

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 30, 2009, 01:46:51 AM
When the exit numbering project is completed, all freeway exits within California will be numbered.
Leave it to California to go from one extreme (no exit numbers with only a couple exceptions) to the other.

Oregon: Pretty much every freeway has exit numbers.
US 26 along the Sunset (53-73). Ross Island Interchange; OR 35 interchanges unnumbered (and the Mt Hood Hwy has a different internal highway number anyway).
US 97 through Bend. Not sure about Klamath Falls.
OR 217 numbered north to south.
OR 569 numbered south to north to east.
OR 18 has at least two numbered interchanges on the Willamina-Sheridan Bypass. The new freeway segment near Grande Ronde doesn't yet, but the OR 22 duplex may have something to do with it...
OR 126 past the I-105... not sure. I'll investigate (and clinch) in January.
Delta Hwy is Lane County maintained/owned.

Washington: At least WA 14 has exit numbers from Vancouver to Camas.

SSOWorld

Wisconsin does use exit numbers on their non-interstate freeways.
On the contrary, all interchanges on US 41, US 45 in Milwaukee and Washington Counties, US 51 in Marathon and Lincoln Counties, US 151 from Fond du Lac southwest to Iowa, US 53 around Onalaska and between Eau Claire and Superior (with the exception of WIS 70 - the lone interchange in the stretch between Rice lake and US 2) and WIS 29 all have Exit numbers.  All other freeway/expressways in WI outside of these and Interstates are not numbered.

Ironically, US 51's exit numbering scheme is used on I-39 N of I-90 and US 41 and US 45 ♠share the same mileage even though US 41 is longer south of their concurrency.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alex

Quote from: Bryant5493 on October 29, 2009, 09:11:21 PM
U.S. 78/Stone Mountain Freeway, U.S.80/J.R. Allen Parkway and Georgia 400 are the only freeways/non-Interstates that I can think of in Georgia that are numbered. These divided highways use the sequential-based exit numbering system.

Personally, I think freeway/expressways should have exit numbers. They're quite helpful.

Be well,

Bryant

Albany's Liberty Expressway uses exit numbers as well.

Quote from: Bickendan on October 30, 2009, 04:13:53 AM

US 97 through Bend. Not sure about Klamath Falls.

No exit numbers were posted along the route through Klamath Falls in 2005.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.