AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Control Cities That Skip Entire States on the Route  (Read 3588 times)

Laplace

• Last Login: August 13, 2019, 01:53:03 AM
Control Cities That Skip Entire States on the Route
« on: January 28, 2019, 05:15:30 PM »

What are some freeways/highways that list a control city from two states over, completely ignoring the next state over? I'm aware of the infamous ones like New York for I-95 North in Baltimore and Miami for I-95 South in Virginia.

Some ones I can think of:

I-10 East in Tucson uses El Paso, Texas, completely skipping over New Mexico. Arizona, along with Utah and Nevada are western states that are infamous for skipping over moderately-sized cities for controls and using a really far away major city. Las Cruces is where the I-10/I-25 split is located, but El Paso is only about 50 miles away and a much bigger city than Las Cruces. Although I-10 West in El Paso doesn't reciprocate and uses Las Cruces rather than Tucson.

I-15 North in Las Vegas uses Salt Lake City and I-15 South in Salt Lake City reciprocates and uses Las Vegas, skipping Arizona. Although this is completely understandable, since I-15 in Arizona is only 30 miles and there are only very small towns on the route.

I-95 South in Providence uses New York City, which skips Connecticut. However, I-95 North in New York City doesn't reciprocate and uses New Haven for I-95 North.

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: October 15, 2019, 10:54:24 PM
    • New interstate plans
Re: Control Cities That Skip Entire States on the Route
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 05:23:34 PM »

I-80 in Ohio skips Pennsylvania and New Jersey and signs New York.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: Today at 05:21:16 PM
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »

I-57 south (primary control) is for Memphis in Illinois, completely skipping Missouri and Arkansas, and going past the end of I-57.

I-94 in Michigan has a primary control of Chicago, skipping Indiana.

I-80 in Illinois used to have a primary control of Toledo, east of Joliet, again, skipping Indiana.  Now, the control is Indiana.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:39:20 PM by Brandon »
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

Screw the KSA; Stand with Canada.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: Today at 05:28:35 PM
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 05:37:05 PM »

In anticipation of the I-95/PA Turnpike ramps that opened late last September, many of the northbound signs for I-95 that once read Trenton were changed to read New York last summer... thereby skipping over NJ.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

pianocello

• Last Login: October 15, 2019, 07:29:34 PM
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 06:44:51 PM »

I-64 in Louisville has St. Louis as a control city, skipping two states: Illinois and Indiana.

I want to say there's at least one mention of St. Louis on I-24 south of the Ohio River as well, which would skip at least Illinois, but I couldn't find one when I quickly scanned Google Street View.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: Today at 08:20:30 AM
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 06:49:42 PM »

I-70 in Indiana is signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, in Indiana, skipping IL

I-64 in Illinois is signed with an eastbound Control of Louisville, after crossing the Mississippi into East St Louis, IL, skipping IN

I-64 in Louisville, KY and in Indiana is signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, skipping IL

I-24 in Illinois is signed with an eastbound Control of Nashville in Southern IL, skipping KY

I-24 in Kentucky is (kinda) signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, skipping IL...and the other minor issue that I-24 doesnít actually make it to STL

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 02:41:48 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 06:55:13 PM »

In Maryland, I-95 northbound is signed for NYC, skipping three states -- Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.

21stCenturyRoad

• They didn't offer neutered shields...

• Last Login: Today at 04:57:18 PM
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 07:08:44 PM »

In Hardeeville, SC,  the control city changes from Savannah to Jacksonville, skipping over Georgia.

The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

ftballfan

• Last Login: October 15, 2019, 02:10:35 PM
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 09:25:07 PM »

The Ohio Turnpike westbound uses Chicago as a control city in western Ohio (west of Toledo)

Roadgeekteen

• New interstate plans
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 09:30:00 PM »

I-70 in Indiana is signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, in Indiana, skipping IL

I-64 in Illinois is signed with an eastbound Control of Louisville, after crossing the Mississippi into East St Louis, IL, skipping IN

I-64 in Louisville, KY and in Indiana is signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, skipping IL

I-24 in Illinois is signed with an eastbound Control of Nashville in Southern IL, skipping KY

I-24 in Kentucky is (kinda) signed with a westbound Control of St Louis, skipping IL...and the other minor issue that I-24 doesnít actually make it to STL
STL is egregious because it's not even signed on I-57 so a morrist would have no way of knowing how to get to St. Louis.

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 03:08:45 PM
    • Patrick Lilja's Minnesconsin Highways
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 09:44:15 PM »

I seem to recall Duluth being signed on M-28 west of the US 41 split, skipping Superior and thus Wisconsin. 
It sucks that you think where Iím from is whack, but as long as thatís enough to keep your ass from coming back

Clinched 2dis: 24, 35, 39, 41, 43, 76 (W), 84 (E), 88 (both), 96, 97

ilpt4u

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 10:01:31 PM »

STL is egregious because it's not even signed on I-57 so a morrist would have no way of knowing how to get to St. Louis.
IDOT directs I-24 West traffic heading for St Louis to use I-57 North to I-64 West, approaching the I-24 Western (Northern) terminus @ I-57, via BGSs - first to Follow I-57 North, before merging onto I-57, then when continuing on I-57, to use I-64 in Mt Vernon

That said, I would have no issue with a seemingly senseless I-57/I-24 multiplex between Marion and Mt Vernon, with St Louis and Chicago as co-Controls on that segment

I-64 West does Multiplex with I-57 North around Mt Vernon, so that I-24 West traffic that defaults onto I-57 North will naturally, in about 50 miles, see St Louis as a Control, when 57 and 64 merge together
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:08:34 PM by ilpt4u »

RobbieL2415

• Last Login: October 15, 2019, 01:35:30 PM
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 10:03:52 PM »

End of I-195 in Providence has only New York as the control for I-95 S.

Revive 755

• Last Login: Today at 05:29:56 PM
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 10:13:06 PM »

I want to say there's at least one mention of St. Louis on I-24 south of the Ohio River as well, which would skip at least Illinois, but I couldn't find one when I quickly scanned Google Street View.

It's not on the mainline, but there is this sign on the NB road between US 45 and US 62.

ilpt4u

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 10:18:44 PM »

It's not on the mainline, but there is this sign on the NB road between US 45 and US 62.
The Entrance Controls for I-24 at Paducah Interchanges are Nashville (east) and St Louis (west)

Jmiles32

• Last Login: October 12, 2019, 10:00:48 AM
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 10:33:14 PM »

Roanoke VA is the control city for I-81 southbound in Hagerstown MD, skipping over West Virginia.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

The High Plains Traveler

• Last Login: October 14, 2019, 06:47:43 PM
    • Unofficial Minnesota and New Mexico Highway Pages
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 11:54:26 PM »

What are some freeways/highways that list a control city from two states over, completely ignoring the next state over? I'm aware of the infamous ones like New York for I-95 North in Baltimore and Miami for I-95 South in Virginia.

Some ones I can think of:

I-10 East in Tucson uses El Paso, Texas, completely skipping over New Mexico. Arizona, along with Utah and Nevada are western states that are infamous for skipping over moderately-sized cities for controls and using a really far away major city. Las Cruces is where the I-10/I-25 split is located, but El Paso is only about 50 miles away and a much bigger city than Las Cruces. Although I-10 West in El Paso doesn't reciprocate and uses Las Cruces rather than Tucson.

When this was first posted in the 1960s (?), Las Cruces was a much smaller city than it is now. The city population is over 100,000 and DoŮa Ana County probably adds that much more. Plus, being an Interstate highway junction, I think it is the next city east of Tucson that meets control city criteria.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 02:41:48 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 10:32:27 AM »

The Entrance Controls for I-24 at Paducah Interchanges are Nashville (east) and St Louis (west)

Yes, beginning at the US 68 exit.

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 10:53:36 AM
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 10:37:44 AM »

I-15 South from SLC uses Las Vegas, skipping over Arizona.
(I know -- too easy!)

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 04:58:47 PM
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 11:57:59 AM »

(I know -- too easy!)

Similarly I-70 in western Colorado, skipping both UT and AZ (or at least the last time I was on that route!).  I wonder if the growth of St. George (UT) will at some point effect a control-city sign change.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 02:28:03 PM
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 12:06:37 PM »

Similarly I-70 in western Colorado, skipping both UT and AZ (or at least the last time I was on that route!).  I wonder if the growth of St. George (UT) will at some point effect a control-city sign change.

In and west of Grand Junction, the control city is now simply "Utah":

See how "Utah" is on a greenout? That control city used to be Green River, a little town of less than 1000 most notable as the junction of US 6 and I-70!

I know there are at least a few Las Vegas signs at some of the I-70 exits west of Richfield, but the bottom line on the mileage signs is "Jct I-15".

As for St. George: I'd love to see that happen, but Utah seems to like its faraway control cities too much for that to change. If Provo can't be its own control city from Salt Lake, I see no reason why St. George would get that status. (Meanwhile, Ogden is a full control city, but that seems to be more of a function of the I-15/84 junction there.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:39:14 PM by US 89 »
Interstate clinches: 14 82 86ID 215UT 225 345 444 575 985
US clinches: 91 491 550

Flickr
Imgur

Roadgeekteen

• New interstate plans
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 12:08:53 PM »

(I know -- too easy!)

Vegas is still much bigger and more famous.

corco

• Just Livin' the Dream

• Last Login: October 15, 2019, 11:23:42 PM
    • Corcohighways.org
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »

US 212 east in Montana goes from Broadus, MT to Belle Fourche, SD, skipping Wyoming. 212 west in SD does not do that, using "WY State Line" as the control city.

US 2 (west of Libby) in Montana uses Spokane, Washington instead of Sandpoint or Bonner's Ferry, Idaho

US 95 south of I-84 in Idaho and north of I-80 in Winnemucca use Winnemucca and Boise, respectively, as control cities, skipping Oregon. Oregon, of course, uses "Jordan Valley" and "Ontario"
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:40:12 PM by corco »

Takumi

• #yogapantsbutnotstance

• Last Login: June 24, 2019, 07:53:13 AM
    • Flashing Lights (blog)
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 12:34:04 PM »

In Maryland, I-95 northbound is signed for NYC, skipping three states -- Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.
There was also at one time a New York sign on I-95 in NoVA.
Don't pick apart my vision of complete psychotic breakdown, please.  I'm trying to make a point here.

Insta | Kinja

Roadgeekteen

• New interstate plans
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 12:36:23 PM »

US 212 east in Montana goes from Broadus, MT to Belle Fourche, SD, skipping Wyoming. 212 west in SD does not do that, using "WY State Line" as the control city.

US 2 (west of Libby) in Montana uses Spokane, Washington instead of Sandpoint or Bonner's Ferry, Idaho
US 212 in Wyoming really does not go or connect to anywhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.