AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: 2020 meets  (Read 1222 times)

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: August 22, 2019, 11:12:32 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: 2020 meets
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2019, 12:55:55 AM »

My point was more of that the schedule is heavy in the spring and empty once we get past mid-June. If you only want local people to show up, a bunch of closely-spaced meets is fine. But if you want people to travel (and many of the frequent attendees are a good distance from the proposed locations here), a bunch of closely-spaced meets start cannibalizing each other. People can host whenever they want to host (if I wanted to dictate the date, I would host myself), but the big thing right now is "big turnout" and you're not gonna get that with a meet every other week.

There's a reason fall meets often draw well: there's a lack of meet activity in the fall because it's all concentrated in spring.
Big turnout is a modern phenomenon. 8 people used to be a big turnout and 4-5 was more common at meets back in the day. I'll periodically host mini-meets centered around seeing 1 or 2 projects and only hope for a single digit attendance. So cannibalizing... meh. Host always makes the call, and polling others is really just a courtesy.

A.J. Bertin

• Last Login: Today at 08:03:55 AM
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2019, 05:18:28 AM »

I've been to 4 meets, and I'm pretty sure 3 of them were in March or April. The other was the 2013 Cincinnati meet, which I think wasn't until October or so.

Yes... the 2013 Cincinnati meet was in October.

But weren't you also at H.B.'s Ashland KY meet in 2013? I believe that one took place in May.
-A.J. from Michigan

Dougtone

• I'm Doug and I approve this message.

• Last Login: August 22, 2019, 07:59:28 PM
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2019, 06:47:13 AM »

My point was more of that the schedule is heavy in the spring and empty once we get past mid-June. If you only want local people to show up, a bunch of closely-spaced meets is fine. But if you want people to travel (and many of the frequent attendees are a good distance from the proposed locations here), a bunch of closely-spaced meets start cannibalizing each other. People can host whenever they want to host (if I wanted to dictate the date, I would host myself), but the big thing right now is "big turnout" and you're not gonna get that with a meet every other week.

There's a reason fall meets often draw well: there's a lack of meet activity in the fall because it's all concentrated in spring.
Big turnout is a modern phenomenon. 8 people used to be a big turnout and 4-5 was more common at meets back in the day. I'll periodically host mini-meets centered around seeing 1 or 2 projects and only hope for a single digit attendance. So cannibalizing... meh. Host always makes the call, and polling others is really just a courtesy.

It also was typical that meets were announced only a couple of months ahead of time. Now 6-12 months ahead of time seems to be the norm. It helps with folks who want to plan around their work schedules, or may want to make a trip to the meet part of their vacation or what have you.

bandit957

• A natural gas bunk!

• Last Login: Today at 10:31:58 AM
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2019, 08:44:06 AM »

But weren't you also at H.B.'s Ashland KY meet in 2013? I believe that one took place in May.

I'm pretty sure that was in April. I know it was during the college basketball playoffs, since that's all that was on the radio.
The highway to not having your teeth fall out...

Number of remaining teeth: https://goo.gl/maps/dgsWdCme9s72

bandit957

• A natural gas bunk!

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »

Roadmeets peaked around 2013-15. Hopefully the 2020 Cincinnati meet will live up to those standards.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 11:38:39 AM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 12:05:55 PM »

There are several views about big turnouts. Yeah, it looks good, and sometimes there seems to be a bit of unspoken competition as to who can have the biggest meet. I've had 20-plus show up for meets I've hosted, and only a handful. (Had four come to my western Kentucky meet a couple of years ago). Big turnouts can prove to be logistical challenges, such as the 2010 Philly meet when they didn't split the check, or the infamous St. Louis meet that I didn't attend when several people got lost and ended up doing their own thing on the tour.

As for scheduling, if it's based on construction projects, those are usually active in the summer and they often have completion dates in the fall. If your goal is to see the work being done on the project, you have to plan your meet for before the project is finished. I've had to sometimes time my meets to mesh with the construction schedule. I've actually scrapped a few meets I had given consideration to hosting because the job would have been finished by that time.

And July -- it's hot and humid in a good chunk of the country. Not the most fun weather for getting out and wandering around a construction zone.

bandit957

• A natural gas bunk!

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »

There are several views about big turnouts. Yeah, it looks good, and sometimes there seems to be a bit of unspoken competition as to who can have the biggest meet. I've had 20-plus show up for meets I've hosted, and only a handful. (Had four come to my western Kentucky meet a couple of years ago). Big turnouts can prove to be logistical challenges, such as the 2010 Philly meet when they didn't split the check, or the infamous St. Louis meet that I didn't attend when several people got lost and ended up doing their own thing on the tour.

The St. Louis meet was easily one of the best ever.

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: Today at 09:54:11 AM
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2019, 01:29:31 PM »

I guess that building upon the foundation that was Pittsburgh gave me some ideas for some meets. Here's a short list I've compiled:

-CSVT Round 2 (expanding upon Jason Ilyes' tour, essentially a visual construction update)
-State College (would be co-hosting with someone outside of the forum; primarily covers the Potters Mills freeway gap and I-80/I-99 interchange, going beyond the 2003/2004 meet)
-Washington, DC (last one was 2011; while close, I'm sure the 2011 meet covered most of everything, and it'd be trickier to plan this out)
-Philadelphia (I don't think there was ever a Philly meet, unless it was before I was born/I've never heard about it - some were interested, so it might have merit)
-PA Covered Bridges tour (probably would cover Bedford, Fulton, and Franklin counties; would be new territory for most people, as people rarely take US 30 east of Breezewood)
Doing things that nobody wants to do since 2004.
I was THE youngest forum member from May 14th, 2015 to September 25th, 2016.

I am the second Alex, since I currently use my father's name...

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 11:38:39 AM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2019, 04:35:53 PM »

-State College (would be co-hosting with someone outside of the forum; primarily covers the Potters Mills freeway gap and I-80/I-99 interchange, going beyond the 2003/2004 meet)

There's been one since then. I think it was 2008 or 2009. Memorable because one of the attendees backed into another attendee while on the tour.

-Washington, DC (last one was 2011; while close, I'm sure the 2011 meet covered most of everything, and it'd be trickier to plan this out)

Froggie hosted one in, I think, 2012, that was focused on the toll lanes on the Virginia portion of the Beltway.

-Philadelphia (I don't think there was ever a Philly meet, unless it was before I was born/I've never heard about it - some were interested, so it might have merit)

There have been a couple in the area that I've attended.

A.J. Bertin

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2019, 06:29:59 PM »

I'm pretty sure that was in April. I know it was during the college basketball playoffs, since that's all that was on the radio.

I stand corrected; you are right. It took place on April 6, 2013. (For some reason I was thinking it was early May rather than early April.)
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2019, 06:34:25 PM »

I guess that building upon the foundation that was Pittsburgh gave me some ideas for some meets. Here's a short list I've compiled:

-CSVT Round 2 (expanding upon Jason Ilyes' tour, essentially a visual construction update)
-PA Covered Bridges tour (probably would cover Bedford, Fulton, and Franklin counties; would be new territory for most people, as people rarely take US 30 east of Breezewood)

I would be very interested in attending meets in CSVT (depending on which city the meet is based in), State College, D.C., and/or Philadelphia. You might want to talk to Will Roll about State College.
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

• Interstate <Make up your mind!>

• Last Login: Today at 04:40:16 AM
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2019, 08:11:20 PM »

PAHighways hosted a meet in State College in 2008, and put a meet on around metro Philly (something about US 322 or the DOT situation room?) but I forget the year for that in SE PA.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ssoworld-roads/

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 06:36:18 AM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2019, 08:27:43 PM »

SE PA was 2010 and IIRC focused on their traffic management center.  I skipped that, in part because it was also the "bill snafu meet" and highlighted the issues with having a large turnout and confusion on the lunch bill.

I did indeed host a DC meet in May, 2012, right before I transferred out.  This meet focused on the Beltway HO/T lanes and the new 11th Street Bridges.

State College was April, 2009.  I remember this well because it was Oscar's Prius that got bumped from behind and I was in the back seat.

jpi

• Location: Lebanon, TN Home of the Barrel originally from York, PA
  • Last Login: August 22, 2019, 08:54:53 AM
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2019, 09:57:32 AM »

I am still eyeing up another York County based meet with the Shrewsbury diverging diamond interchange construction and a possible 3 mile round trip hike on the north central rail trail to check out the oldest active railroad tunnel in the USA, this would be in 2020 or 2021. I am also watching for construction to start taking place at the I-99\ I-80 interchange and sometime next decade possibly host another State Collage area meet. As for the CSVT area, the southern part of construction for this will be again sometime next decade and when that starts I may do a follow up on this.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.