News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The named ditches and washes on I-15 and I-40

Started by pdx-wanderer, September 09, 2019, 06:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdx-wanderer

I-15 and I-40 in the Mojave have many interestingly named washes and ditches such as "Turtle Ditch"  and "Mobi Ditch"  on I-15 and "Roadrunner Wash"  on I-40. There must be over 25 of these on each route, each with its own unique name clearly shown on a Caltrans bridge inventory sign.

My question is, where on earth did all these names come from?

Max Rockatansky

Probably survey teams from railroad companies.  They certainly set up a lot of sidings with weird names.

roadfro

The names probably come from a variety of sources, and most were likely not named by CalTrans. The US Geological Survey documents officially recognized names of all sorts of natural features–washes, streams, valleys, mountains, etc.–through a variety of maps and other publications. The Board of Geographic Names falls under their purview.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

usends

Quote from: roadfro on September 09, 2019, 11:45:55 PM
The names probably come from a variety of sources, and most were likely not named by CalTrans. The US Geological Survey documents officially recognized names of all sorts of natural features–washes, streams, valleys, mountains, etc.–through a variety of maps and other publications. The Board of Geographic Names falls under their purview.
This is all true, but the USBGN doesn't impose its own names on local landforms.  Rather, they seek input from the state-level BGN, which in turn typically defers to county-level officials.  And people at that level usually go with whatever name the locals have been using to refer to the nearby wash (or whatever landform).  And that goes back to the first surveyors and settlers in the area, which (especially in the High Desert) would circle back to Max's point about railroad surveying teams.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

GaryV

There's at least one named and signed ditch in the Seney Swamp in MI's UP:  https://www.google.com/maps/@46.3485913,-85.9885725,16z?hl=en

We've often wondered who Clark was, and what he had to do to get a ditch named after himself.

dbz77

Quote from: GaryV on September 10, 2019, 10:19:05 AM
There's at least one named and signed ditch in the Seney Swamp in MI's UP:  https://www.google.com/maps/@46.3485913,-85.9885725,16z?hl=en

We've often wondered who Clark was, and what he had to do to get a ditch named after himself.
A link to the picture.

http://goo.gl/maps/h8EZMTAmReypoF9N9

pdx-wanderer

Thank you for the replies! I guess I always figured they were named by bored Caltrans workers during construction of the routes.

Some looking on GSV found some more oddly names washes on the western portion of I-40 in Arizona as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.