AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Regions with similar-named places  (Read 312 times)

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 01:30:24 AM
    • Wikipedia
Regions with similar-named places
« on: September 13, 2019, 11:22:56 PM »

Just a passing thought:

My county (Snohomish County) has cities named Everett and Arlington that are on two sides of another city (Marysville).

Middlesex County, MA has cities named Everett and Arlington that are on two sides of another city (Medford).

kevinb1994

• Your local source of road-related information.

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 11:14:06 PM
Re: Regions with similar-named places
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 12:51:39 AM »

Just a passing thought:

My county (Snohomish County) has cities named Everett and Arlington that are on two sides of another city (Marysville).

Middlesex County, MA has cities named Everett and Arlington that are on two sides of another city (Medford).
Donít forget about Medford in Oregon! And Salem, which was once a colonial-era capital of Massachusetts before it was moved to Boston.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:07:24 PM by kevinb1994 »

roadman65

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 10:17:35 PM
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 11:48:20 AM »

Washington in North Jersey.  Washington Borough, Washington Township in Warren County, and Washington Township in Morris County are close to each other.   In fact the first two are neighbors often confused with being one town, when in fact both have different municipalities.

Freehold is another as many think there is only one Freehold, NJ but in fact there are two.  Freehold Borough and Freehold Township also next to each other.  Again two different corporations.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 11:41:18 PM
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 12:09:41 PM »

Wiscon gas the Village of Pewaukee, which is surrounded by the City of Pewaukee.

kevinb1994

• Your local source of road-related information.

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 11:14:06 PM
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »

Washington in North Jersey.  Washington Borough, Washington Township in Warren County, and Washington Township in Morris County are close to each other.   In fact the first two are neighbors often confused with being one town, when in fact both have different municipalities.

Freehold is another as many think there is only one Freehold, NJ but in fact there are two.  Freehold Borough and Freehold Township also next to each other.  Again two different corporations.
More confusing is the nearby township of Upper Freehold.

vdeane

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 08:47:47 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 11:06:45 PM »

In NY, the Town of Russia borders the Town of Norway and contains the Village of Poland.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 09:14:07 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 03:20:19 AM »

In NY, the Town of Russia borders the Town of Norway and contains the Village of Poland.

The only place where Norway is east of Russia...

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 07:42:41 AM
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 10:13:28 AM »

Except...
Interstate clinches: 14 82 86west 215UT 225 345 444 575 985
US clinches: 91 491 550

Flickr
Imgur

KEVIN_224

• Last Login: September 16, 2019, 10:33:27 AM
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 11:15:03 AM »

So many Washington names in New Jersey that one was changed. I believe it's now Robbinsville, Exit 7 from I-95/New Jersey Turnpike. Connecticut's Washington is somewhere in Litchfield County. The only Washington County names I know of in New England is Vermont (home to Montpelier) and the upper coast of Maine (a.k.a. "Downeast").

Scott5114

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 12:22:58 AM »

Except...

You know, as I was posting that, I was thinking "Watch some fool find some random spot east of Kirkenes where the border is shaped just so that that's not true. Should I check in advance? Naaaah, nobody else is going to look it up..."

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: Today at 03:06:22 AM
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 01:54:54 AM »

So many Washington names in New Jersey that one was changed. I believe it's now Robbinsville, Exit 7 from I-95/New Jersey Turnpike. Connecticut's Washington is somewhere in Litchfield County. The only Washington County names I know of in New England is Vermont (home to Montpelier) and the upper coast of Maine (a.k.a. "Downeast").

There is a Washington County, RI.  Most people call it South County, though.

CT is the only place where East Hampton is west of Hampton.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

index

• Pry my suffixed routes from my cold, dead hands

• Last Login: Today at 01:25:41 AM
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 06:16:28 AM »

York and Lancaster counties in SC and PA with their respective seats of York and Lancaster. Both also border each other.
North Carolinian born in Fairfax Co, VA. Advocate for slapping an interstate over every freeway and US route corridor in NC.

State under shield (2DI/US only) = partial clinch.

Counties traveled (outdated)

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 06:14:20 AM
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 07:56:28 AM »

So many Washington names in New Jersey that one was changed. I believe it's now Robbinsville, Exit 7 from I-95/New Jersey Turnpike.

Actually, Exit 7A (195).    And to be clear, they didn't change a name because there were so many towns with one name - the town itself voted to change its name to its more familiar name. That's happened several times over the years by towns, regardless if it had a duped town name or not.

The Washington Twp, Gloucester County, is mostly known as Sewell, as it utilizes the Sewell post office, which presents its own issues.  Real Sewell is actually an unincorporated area within Mantua Twp, which is the next town over.  Those people living in Sewell, Mantua Twp pay taxes to Mantua, and the kids go to Sewell School and eventually to Clearview Regional High School.  Those living in the Sewell section of Washington Twp pay their taxes to Washington Twp, and the kids go to Washington Twp schools.

If you live in the towns, it all makes sense. If you're visiting and a bit lost, you could be a good distance away from where you want to be, or contacting the incorrect town for your needs.

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: Today at 07:55:35 AM
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »

You know, as I was posting that, I was thinking "Watch some fool find some random spot east of Kirkenes where the border is shaped just so that that's not true. Should I check in advance? Naaaah, nobody else is going to look it up..."

That is a bad bet to take on this forum. :)

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 07:42:41 AM
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 05:50:14 PM »

I don't normally do stuff like that, but you did say the only place... :bigass:
Interstate clinches: 14 82 86west 215UT 225 345 444 575 985
US clinches: 91 491 550

Flickr
Imgur

index

• Pry my suffixed routes from my cold, dead hands

• Last Login: Today at 01:25:41 AM
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »

York and Lancaster counties in SC and PA with their respective seats of York and Lancaster. Both also border each other.

Don't hold me to it, but I also remembered, I believe they have the same mottos as well - the red rose and white rose city.
North Carolinian born in Fairfax Co, VA. Advocate for slapping an interstate over every freeway and US route corridor in NC.

State under shield (2DI/US only) = partial clinch.

Counties traveled (outdated)

roadman65

• Last Login: September 17, 2019, 10:17:35 PM
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »

Also to mention that Upper Freehold is not even above Freehold.

Then Allentown (part of Upper Freehold) is too close to Allentown, PA.

Escambia County, FL and Escambia County, AL are neighbors.  Kent County, MD and Kent County, DE are also bordering each other.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 07:12:17 AM
    • Patrick Lilja's Minnesconsin Highways
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 11:43:40 PM »

Ironwood and Iron Mountain, MI, and Iron River, MI and Iron River, WI.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:47:27 PM by TheHighwayMan394 »
It sucks that you think where Iím from is whack, but as long as thatís enough to keep your ass from coming back

Clinched 2dis: 24, 35, 39, 41, 43, 76 (W), 84 (E), 88 (both), 96, 97

Scott5114

« Reply #18 on: Today at 06:10:36 AM »

I don't normally do stuff like that, but you did say the only place... :bigass:

What's funny about it to me is that I have enough geographic knowledge that I was thinking of pretty much the exact spot you linked...but was too lazy to double check the shape of the border there. That'll show me.

GaryV

• Last Login: Today at 09:24:56 AM
« Reply #19 on: Today at 07:10:18 AM »

Up stream or uphill?
Up doesn't always mean north.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 07:21:22 AM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #20 on: Today at 07:21:03 AM »

Up stream or uphill?
Up doesn't always mean north.

I checked. Wikipedia gives a lower elevation for Upper Freehold than Freehold.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒚14⒈159
NH 27, 111A(E); NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A; CT 32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.