News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 27, 2020, 09:07:39 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 27, 2020, 08:24:36 AM
People who never carry any cash.  What's wrong with $20 in pocket money just in case?

I don't care about people not carrying cash, but I find the attitude some of them cop (acting like it's some sort of outrage when cash is required) to be annoying, like the rest of the world should somehow protect them from their own irresponsibility. A few years ago, the subway here in DC stopped allowing people to exit the system with a negative balance on the SmarTrip card–instead, you have to add some money at the Exitfare machines, and those machines only accept cash (smaller bills, I think up to a $10). The change was pretty well-publicized at the time, yet some local commuters–mostly 20-somethings, of course–cried and bleated, "I don't carry cash. This is unacceptable. Blah blah blah." I didn't, and still don't, have a lot of sympathy because they weren't whining that they got stuck in the system trying to exit–they were whining in advance about the theoretical possibility of getting stuck. I don't find a lot of credibility in that argument because they had been told about the new policy and clearly understood it, so it would not be at all difficult to be prepared to comply (either by just ensuring you never hit a negative balance or by keeping $5 or $10 on you when you ride the subway). Of course I can understand why tourists, and even local residents who seldom ride the subway, might get caught out by the policy, especially if they bought their fares based on non—rush hour travel but then they wound up riding at rush hour and having to pay the higher fares. But for commuters, there's really no excuse.
It would be one thing if they took $20 bills, but smaller denominations can be harder to get if you don't use cash regularly.  Instead of just visiting an ATM, you have to go to the bank and specifically request them (at least my bank no longer requires withdrawal slips if you have your ATM/debit card with you), which means you somehow have to get there at an hour they're open, and bank hours are not convenient to those who work for a living.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman

Quote from: vdeane on January 27, 2020, 01:24:12 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 27, 2020, 09:07:39 AM
People who never carry any cash.  What's wrong with $20 in pocket money just in case?

I don't care about people not carrying cash, but I find the attitude some of them cop (acting like it's some sort of outrage when cash is required) to be annoying, like the rest of the world should somehow protect them from their own irresponsibility. A few years ago, the subway here in DC stopped allowing people to exit the system with a negative balance on the SmarTrip card—instead, you have to add some money at the Exitfare machines, and those machines only accept cash (smaller bills, I think up to a $10). The change was pretty well-publicized at the time, yet some local commuters—mostly 20-somethings, of course—cried and bleated, "I don't carry cash. This is unacceptable. Blah blah blah." I didn't, and still don't, have a lot of sympathy because they weren't whining that they got stuck in the system trying to exit—they were whining in advance about the theoretical possibility of getting stuck. I don't find a lot of credibility in that argument because they had been told about the new policy and clearly understood it, so it would not be at all difficult to be prepared to comply (either by just ensuring you never hit a negative balance or by keeping $5 or $10 on you when you ride the subway). Of course I can understand why tourists, and even local residents who seldom ride the subway, might get caught out by the policy, especially if they bought their fares based on non–rush hour travel but then they wound up riding at rush hour and having to pay the higher fares. But for commuters, there's really no excuse.
It would be one thing if they took $20 bills, but smaller denominations can be harder to get if you don't use cash regularly.  Instead of just visiting an ATM, you have to go to the bank and specifically request them (at least my bank no longer requires withdrawal slips if you have your ATM/debit card with you), which means you somehow have to get there at an hour they're open, and bank hours are not convenient to those who work for a living.

Many ATMs in the Boston area are beginning to dispense $10 bills if you request them.  The machine gives you a "Do you want different denominations?" prompt.  If you reply "Yes", a screen appears that lets you choose the number of bills you want in each available denomination.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2020, 06:41:23 AM
Quote from: kphoger on January 25, 2020, 01:17:51 PM
I am moderately bothered when people ask me what I do for work as basically the only question they ask me.  That is, they seem to think that's what defines me as a person.

However, I am also moderately bothered when people ask me some other question in order to purposefully avoid doing that exact thing–such as "what do you like to do for fun".

I guess they can't win.

Nope, I'm pretty much the same way when it comes to profession. I think when I was younger and a little less financially secure, there was a tendency to judge or feel as one is being judged. I don't mind being asked what I like to do...though I'm not going to leap off the deep end: I HAVE TEN THOUSAND PHOTOS OF ROAD SIGNS, I HOPE YOU LIKE THEM TOO!

But if you're talking with someone for a long enough time (airplane rides are good/bad for that), the subject comes up because of similarities in travel. I also feel a little sharper and wiser in dealing with a negative comment or criticism, coupled with a pretty good sense of wisdom and self-effacement. I don't mind it, at least a few times a year, someone sitting next to me is looking at my photos, and mentioned how they recognized this place or that...

I just don't like small talk in general. I don't fly, so that's not an issue for me, but invariably when I'm in the doctor's office or somewhere else with a waiting area, a stranger will want to make small talk. I'd rather read than engage in conversation with a stranger.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: DaBigE on January 26, 2020, 04:29:58 PM
People who leave the microwave with [cooking] time left on it. It isn't a parking meter -- your 9 seconds gives me no benefit.

Preach it, brother!  I hate that too.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2020, 04:36:32 PM
Conversely the noise from the timer expiring is annoying enough that I'll always try to open it before it goes off. 

On my parents' ancient microwave, it's possible to perfectly time opening the door:  the countdown reaches the end, but it doesn't beep.  5......4......3......2......1......0......[OPEN IT!]  It's the only microwave I've used that allows you to do that.  All others, it either beeps because the time's up, or else it beeps when you press a button to cancel the remaining time.

Quote from: DaBigE on January 27, 2020, 09:38:51 AM
Places that don't accept bills higher than $20.

Especially when my purchase cost more than $50.  Look here, Taco Bell, if I just bought a meal for ten people and my total is $63, are you really going to tell me I can't pay with a $50 bill?

Quote from: roadman on January 27, 2020, 10:42:44 AM
Clerks who give change by placing the coins on top of the bills instead of handing me the coins first, and then the bills.

Aaarrrggghhh!!  Heaven forbid your transaction is done through a drive-through window, too, or else you're likely to drop all those coins on the ground.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2020, 10:38:17 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 27, 2020, 10:23:51 AM
Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2020, 10:00:54 AM

Places that can't make change for a $20 for a $14 purchase. Go to a bank before attempting to be a profit-making enterprise.

Likewise, places that request minimum amounts (say, over $5) for using a credit card. You're a convenience store with 80-250% markup from cost.

Interestingly those credit card usage fees imposed on retails are pretty high, something in the neighborhood of 3% for credit and 1% for debit on every transaction.  That's why large stores were so pushy with in-house credit cards for so many years, they can save themselves a ton of money not paying merchant fees.  Usually it's Mom and Pop type convenience stores that still do the credit fee for low purchase amounts. 

I can understand wanting to avoid a set fee and 3% on a 79 cent candy bar. But with most convenience stores having a steep markup, it's ridiculous to refuse it on a $7-8 purchase.

IIRC, there is a minimum fee charged by the card company, like $1 or so, per transaction.  The merchants lose money on them.

Mike

kphoger

It bothers me that my wife has her daycare kids call her "Miss Carrie".  This is for two reasons:

1.  I hate combining an honorific with a first name.  I should either be called "Mr Hoger" or "Kyle" but never "Mr Kyle".

2.  My wife is married.  She shouldn't be "Miss" anything.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DaBigE

- Software prompts that claim "x seconds remaining" yet ultimately take 10-20 times what is displayed
- Critical software prompts that require user input in order to continue, but hide behind other windows when they appear and don't blink in the taskbar, leaving the user to wait unnecessarily for the program to continue
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kphoger

Quote from: DaBigE on January 27, 2020, 02:31:18 PM
- Critical software prompts that require user input in order to continue, but hide behind other windows when they appear and don't blink in the taskbar, leaving the user to wait unnecessarily for the program to continue

For me, it's the opposite.  I dislike programs that always feel the need to be on top.  For example, if it's taking a while for one program to open, I'll open another program in the meantime;  then, when I'm halfway through typing my login password, the first program decides at a certain point in its loading process that it needs to jump in front–meaning half my password never made it into the field. 

- Software prompts that claim "x seconds remaining" yet ultimately take 10-20 times what is displayed

Software prompts that sit at 0% for five minutes, then jump to 80%, then 85%, then 90%, then 95%, then 100%, then sit on 100% for two more minutes.  Then tell you "click here to update", and the process starts over again.
Male pronouns, please.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on January 27, 2020, 02:15:27 PM
It bothers me that my wife has her daycare kids call her "Miss Carrie".  This is for two reasons:

1.  I hate combining an honorific with a first name.  I should either be called "Mr Hoger" or "Kyle" but never "Mr Kyle".

2.  My wife is married.  She shouldn't be "Miss" anything.

It implies kids are too stupid to be able to pronounce a last name

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on January 27, 2020, 02:38:24 PM

For me, it's the opposite.  I dislike programs that always feel the need to be on top.  For example, if it's taking a while for one program to open, I'll open another program in the meantime;  then, when I'm halfway through typing my login password, the first program decides at a certain point in its loading process that it needs to jump in front—meaning half my password never made it into the field. 

Software prompts that sit at 0% for five minutes, then jump to 80%, then 85%, then 90%, then 95%, then 100%, then sit on 100% for two more minutes.  Then tell you "click here to update", and the process starts over again.

When you go to leave work and take your laptop home and you don't have the option to wait on the updates.  Why can't updates go through when you turn on instead of when you want to leave?

kphoger

While we're talking about things Windows does...

– The fact that Windows 10 only gives you ten days to restore to a previous build, then the option is gone.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

This never happens to me. Usually, if it's inaccurate, it's too high, not too low.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

DaBigE

Quote from: kphoger on January 27, 2020, 02:57:15 PM

– The fact that Windows 10 only gives you ten days to restore to a previous build, then the option is gone.

Which version are you using? I thought Pro has a bigger window?

kphoger

Quote from: DaBigE on January 27, 2020, 03:04:50 PM

Windows 10, Version 1909
Male pronouns, please.

Beltway

Usually not a problem if the purchase is near $100. 

A made a recent $82 purchase with a $100 bill and there was no problem.

Quote from: kphoger on January 27, 2020, 02:15:27 PM
Shouldn't be a problem as long as they don't compare her to the one in the movie, right?  :-/

Quote from: Rothman on January 27, 2020, 09:20:17 AM
I am annoyed by people who carry cash.
I am annoyed by people who don't carry cash.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

People who never carry any cash.

Quote from: Beltway on January 27, 2020, 03:23:18 PM

I'm bothered by people who drop their cash.  Seriously, people, learn how to carry it properly.
Male pronouns, please.

DaBigE

Quote from: kphoger on January 27, 2020, 03:10:03 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on January 27, 2020, 03:04:50 PM

Windows 10, Version 1909

Home vs Pro ... I doubt Microsoft varies it between specific build updates, but lately, one never knows.

Quote from: kphoger on January 27, 2020, 03:34:44 PM
People who never carry any cash.

Quote from: Beltway on January 27, 2020, 03:23:18 PM

I'm bothered by people who drop their cash.  Seriously, people, learn how to carry it properly.

Finders keepers. Or, the "butterfingers tax"

hotdogPi

Regarding money:

• Places that don't accept cash.
  • If it's a collector's coin, learn to hold it properly. Your fingers should be on the edge.
  • Why do we still use pennies?
  • Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados. All three use coins similar to the US dollar, and they have equal value... except Barbados, which is inexplicably worth only half of ours. (It's defined to be exactly half.)
  • My grocery store: "10/$10" on a whole bunch of items. You don't need to buy 10 to get the discount.
  • My local laundromat requires quarters for everything. If the country used dollar coins regularly, it wouldn't take nearly as long.
  • Minimum wage in New Hampshire is still only $7.25 per hour, even though parts of the state have a moderately high cost of living.
  • As seen on Twitter: I'm Elon Musk, and I'm hosting a bitcoin giveaway! Send me 0.2 BTC and I'll give 2 back!
  • Related: Why do we have so many cryptocurrencies? Bitcoin is enough. (Primecoin has led to some interesting mathematical discoveries, but not enough to make it worth being the default cryptocurrency.)
  • People who use e.g. $2MM to mean $2 million. What they really mean is 2 million million = 2 trillion.
  • Everyone claiming that the economy suddenly got better in 2017. In reality, the trend during the entire period from 2011 to now has been constant.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

DaBigE

Target selling a bunch of bananas "by the each"

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2020, 03:52:10 PM
Regarding money:

Because not all prices end in 5 or 0.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on January 27, 2020, 04:17:49 PM
Regarding money:

Canada rounds all purchases to the nearest 5 cents if using cash, as does Australia.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

roadman

Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2020, 04:22:19 PM
Regarding money:

Canada rounds all purchases to the nearest 5 cents if using cash, as does Australia.

This has been proposed from time to time, but various consumer groups come out bearing pitchforks and torches.  As a result, the idea has never gained any traction.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Regarding money:

So what?  Gas is priced in tenths of a penny, but we all get along perfectly well without that type of coin.

When the half-penny was taken out of circulation, it was basically what our dime is today.  So, basically, it was like if we had no pennies or nickels, then dimes were discontinued.  Life went on.  Rounding happens.
Male pronouns, please.

DaBigE

Quote from: roadman on January 27, 2020, 04:25:41 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2020, 04:22:19 PM
Regarding money:

This has been proposed from time to time, but various consumer groups come out bearing pitchforks and torches.  As a result, the idea has never gained any traction.

Political lobbying at its finest.

[sarcasm]Don't want to put Meijer's mechanical horses or tourist trap penny-smashers out of work, now would we?[/sarcasm]

Big John

Quote from: mgk920 on January 27, 2020, 02:13:47 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2020, 10:38:17 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 27, 2020, 10:23:51 AM
Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2020, 10:00:54 AM

Places that can't make change for a $20 for a $14 purchase. Go to a bank before attempting to be a profit-making enterprise.

Likewise, places that request minimum amounts (say, over $5) for using a credit card. You're a convenience store with 80-250% markup from cost.

Interestingly those credit card usage fees imposed on retails are pretty high, something in the neighborhood of 3% for credit and 1% for debit on every transaction.  That's why large stores were so pushy with in-house credit cards for so many years, they can save themselves a ton of money not paying merchant fees.  Usually it's Mom and Pop type convenience stores that still do the credit fee for low purchase amounts. 

I can understand wanting to avoid a set fee and 3% on a 79 cent candy bar. But with most convenience stores having a steep markup, it's ridiculous to refuse it on a $7-8 purchase.

IIRC, there is a minimum fee charged by the card company, like $1 or so, per transaction.  The merchants lose money on them.

Mike
The is also a charge for a debit card, but it is less than for a credit card, thus some stores prefer debit cards, up to allowing debit but not credit cards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.