News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on February 17, 2020, 01:41:37 PM
Holy cow, your cart corrals look nicer than some train platforms!
It's Wegmans.  They aren't the top grocery store chain in the country for nothing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 17, 2020, 01:56:11 PM
The lack of sugar cane in soda state side.  I've been down in Mexico all week and taking advantage of all the Coke/Fanta products at every corner store has been nice.  Corn syrup just doesn't taste the same to me. 

Stock up in early April. Look for Coke in the bottles with yellow caps. They're "Kosher Coke" and they use real sugar.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 17, 2020, 09:17:13 PM
The lack of sugar cane in soda state side.  I've been down in Mexico all week and taking advantage of all the Coke/Fanta products at every corner store has been nice.  Corn syrup just doesn't taste the same to me. 

Stock up in early April. Look for Coke in the bottles with yellow caps. They're "Kosher Coke" and they use real sugar.

Apparently that's a thing down in Mexico already, just had a look at some of the plastic bottles in my wife's grandma's fridge. 

dlsterner

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 17, 2020, 09:17:13 PM

For this, you might have to be in an area with a significant Jewish population in order to make it worthwhile for the grocery stores to carry it.  I often make a trip to Pikesville MD (suburb of Baltimore) to stock up.  This is during Passover, where corn syrup Coke is not kosher, but sugar Coke is.  As 1995hoo said, look for the yellow caps.  Typically the two liter bottles in my experience.

ilpt4u

Hispanic grocery stores tend to keep "Mexican"  Coke and Pepsi in stock, at least in my experience. Glass bottles and Cane Sugar

Heck, sometimes Coke and Pepsi sell 12-packs of "Cane Sugar"  versions...I think Pepsi brands it "Pepsi Throwback"

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on February 17, 2020, 09:12:41 PM
It's Wegmans.  They aren't the top grocery store chain in the country for nothing.

Yeah, I was going to say, at least Wegmans cart corrals can be all messed up and still look better than most look when they're organized! And not just the corrals, the carts too.

I must say it does make one happy to see people in other states shopping at Wegmans.  :biggrin:

GenExpwy

Quote from: webny99 on February 17, 2020, 11:09:02 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 17, 2020, 09:12:41 PM

Yeah, I was going to say, at least Wegmans cart corrals can be all messed up and still look better than most look when they're organized! And not just the corrals, the carts too.

I must say it does make one happy to see people in other states shopping at Wegmans.  :biggrin:

I like that Wegmans' corrals are concreted into the ground, and protected with proper bollards. Several times at Tops, I've had to slide the entire corral back into its proper position, to make room to get back into my car.

roadman

When researching appliances (in this case, washing machines) on-line, and the notice 'Price revealed in cart" appears.  When I compare appliances, one of my key criteria is price.  I shouldn't be forced to open up a shopping cart (translation "I might buy this") just to compare prices on items.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

allniter89

Quote from: Big John on February 17, 2020, 02:02:57 PM
I have seen Mexican Coke and a few other Mexican sodas in the states.  You may have to do some searching in order to find those.
Crestview, FL Publix has Mexican Coke, mof it  has a whole isle of Mexican groceries.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Roadgeekteen

Feeling thirsty right after I wake up
Needing to go to the bathroom while in bed when I just want to keep sleeping
The sound of squeaking boots
Gatekeeping on the internet
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2020, 10:54:41 PM

Reminds me of driving a manual transmission while your shoes are wet: because clutch pedals normally have a ton of distance between "engaged" and "not engaged", you can get some wicked loud shoe-on-pedal squeaks compared to an auto, where throttle and brake usage is more gradual; compare this to a clutch pedal, where it's more "fast-on, fast-off [when possible]".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on May 21, 2020, 11:05:35 PM

Reminds me of driving a manual transmission while your shoes are wet: because clutch pedals normally have a ton of distance between "engaged" and "not engaged", you can get some wicked loud shoe-on-pedal squeaks compared to an auto, where throttle and brake usage is more gradual; compare this to a clutch pedal, where it's more "fast-on, fast-off [when possible]".

Personally I can't stand it when shoes make that noise.  Business casual shoes are the absolute worst for making that squeaking noise.  Outside of conferences I rarely even wear business casual shoes at work because of that noise (and comfort) anymore.  Just as bad is the constant "tap" and "th-wack" noise that heeled shoes make on hard surfaces.

formulanone

I bought a pair of cheap-ish Nikes for work that started to squeak internally after about 3 months; I guess the air pockets or something in the design failed, because they'll squeak even on a carpet floor or grass. We're allowed sneakers in solid black, and that's nice when you don't want to pack an extra set of shoes for the morning exercise routine. But they sit in a closet collecting dust now.

Really frustrating, but I guess $50 is on the low end for their brand. They sure are comfortable for standing around on long days, though making a duck call with every step is frustrating.

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 21, 2020, 11:15:47 PM
.... Just as bad is the constant "tap" and "th-wack" noise that heeled shoes make on hard surfaces.

It's funny how your mind associates certain sounds, smells, etc., with experiences during your life. When I hear the clack of a heel on a hard surface like a tiled floor, my mind associates it with the sound of a teacher coming down the hall (and, more likely than not, my being in trouble for something). I assume this is because the teachers were the only ones who wore hard-soled shoes when I was attending school–all the kids wore sneakers–and if the hall was quiet enough for me to hear the clack of a heel, it probably meant I had been told to go stand out in the hall.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2020, 10:54:41 PMFeeling thirsty right after I wake up

These annoy me too.  I generally drink a tall glass of water an hour and a half to two hours before bed, so that any urge to urinate can be satisfied just before I go to sleep.

Needing to go while sleeping is not always a matter of a full bladder--especially in the winter, it can be a sign your bedroom is too cold.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 22, 2020, 11:33:56 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2020, 10:54:41 PMFeeling thirsty right after I wake up

These annoy me too.  I generally drink a tall glass of water an hour and a half to two hours before bed, so that any urge to urinate can be satisfied just before I go to sleep.

Needing to go while sleeping is not always a matter of a full bladder--especially in the winter, it can be a sign your bedroom is too cold.
I put a water bottle next to my bed so I can drink it right after I wake up.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 22, 2020, 11:49:32 AMI put a water bottle next to my bed so I can drink it right after I wake up.

I keep a glass of water on hand for the same purpose, but there is value to going to bed fully hydrated because your teeth depend on saliva for enamel remineralization.  This is also a good reason to avoid consuming alcohol late in the evening (or to excess at any time of the day).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wxfree

"Hurricane force gusts"

There's no such thing as a hurricane force wind gust.  Hurricane force winds are defined by sustained speed (measured whichever way is used in a particular area), not by gusts.  Maybe weather nerds are like road nerds in that regard, and I'm both.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: wxfree on May 22, 2020, 11:27:21 PM
"Hurricane force gusts"

There's no such thing as a hurricane force wind gust.  Hurricane force winds are defined by sustained speed (measured whichever way is used in a particular area), not by gusts.  Maybe weather nerds are like road nerds in that regard, and I'm both.

I found that you can't dare tell the general people their favorite weather person is wrong, because its a hard job. Then they go yell at a 17 year old working a register because they screwed up their fast food burger.

texaskdog

Feeling thirsty right after I wake up

Something happened to me a few months ago and now every morning I wake up plugged up and need Afrin, and with a pasty mouth.  Almost every single day :P

texaskdog

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 22, 2020, 11:32:33 PM
Quote from: wxfree on May 22, 2020, 11:27:21 PM
"Hurricane force gusts"

I found that you can't dare tell the general people their favorite weather person is wrong, because its a hard job. Then they go yell at a 17 year old working a register because they screwed up their fast food burger.

I'm amazed that you used to just have a weather guy and now they all have advanced degrees and all the best equipment, and no more accurate than the weather guy ever was.  I love when they say 30% chance of rain WHILE ITS RAINING..meaning 100% chance.

US 89

Quote from: texaskdog on May 23, 2020, 12:57:58 AM
I love when they say 30% chance of rain WHILE ITS RAINING..meaning 100% chance.

I mean you have to realize you’re not the only one they’re forecasting for - it may not be raining at the location of other viewers.

When meteorologists talk about rain chances, that number has to combine two things: the likelihood that rain will occur anywhere in the forecast area, and the percentage of that area that would see rain if it occurs. So on a given day, if there’s a 50% chance that rain will develop somewhere in the forecast area, but only 40% of that area would get rain if it happens, the calculated rain chance (and the number your TV meteorologist would show) is 20%.

Verlanka

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US 89 on May 23, 2020, 02:06:36 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on May 23, 2020, 12:57:58 AM
I love when they say 30% chance of rain WHILE ITS RAINING..meaning 100% chance.

I mean you have to realize you're not the only one they're forecasting for - it may not be raining at the location of other viewers.

When meteorologists talk about rain chances, that number has to combine two things: the likelihood that rain will occur anywhere in the forecast area, and the percentage of that area that would see rain if it occurs. So on a given day, if there's a 50% chance that rain will develop somewhere in the forecast area, but only 40% of that area would get rain if it happens, the calculated rain chance (and the number your TV meteorologist would show) is 20%.

That's how they get away with it.  They can claim a vague, always changing area as their forecasted position.  They can show a 50% change of rain, and show the weather maps as the storm going thru on the west side of the city.  If the storm comes thru on the east side instead, they'll have the camera crews showing the flooding and the trees down, all the while saying how they predicted this storm and how people needed to adhere to the precautions.  It's a cold day in hell when you can easily find previous forecasts, because they are generally removed from Facebook pages and news sites pretty quickly, especially when the forecast didn't pan out the way it should. The most inaccurate forecasts gripes tend to center around snow, because if the forecast isn't correct, either people prepared for nothing, or people didn't prepare and a lot happened.  With any other forecast, it tends to be more of an inconvenience, or a nicer day than expected, but wrong is wrong. 

Let's use something more relevant to today's society: Coronavirus.  People are pissed that certain people didn't take this more seriously back in the winter months.  2 months later we see how it panned out, but I bet most of those complaining didn't do a damn thing to help themselves prepare, other than stock up on toilet paper, and even then most people took it as a joke.  Those that didn't prepare then got pissed at the ones that did, claiming they hoarded supplies.  If this was a weather forecast, people would console their favorite weather forecaster claiming they couldn't foresee what would happen.  I seriously doubt anyone can honestly answer they could've foreseen what would happen as a result of this virus.  If you can, please, pull up and reference your posts from January and February.  Don't provide vague answers.

kurumi

Email clients, note-taking apps, editors, etc...

If you paste in a URL, it underlines it, which is fine: http://aaroads.com

But then it also underlines everything you type afterward, which is 100% never what you want, why the family circus would it do this
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.