News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

When radio DJs talk over the beginning of a song, before the vocals come in. The composer of the song put that there to introduce the listener to the musical themes of the piece, not for you to use it as a music bed for you to yap about a car wash that sponsored this hour of programming. I used to think that maybe they just had an itchy trigger finger and hit the 'start music' button before remembering they had more to say, but thinking about it today after a particularly long instance of this, I realized they have to have the amount of time they have until the vocals start written down somewhere and are instructed by station management to fill as much time with drivel as possible.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2021, 08:20:17 PM
When radio DJs talk over the beginning of a song, before the vocals come in. The composer of the song put that there to introduce the listener to the musical themes of the piece, not for you to use it as a music bed for you to yap about a car wash that sponsored this hour of programming. I used to think that maybe they just had an itchy trigger finger and hit the 'start music' button before remembering they had more to say, but thinking about it today after a particularly long instance of this, I realized they have to have the amount of time they have until the vocals start written down somewhere and are instructed by station management to fill as much time with drivel as possible.

A lot of 45s used to have the intro time listed below the total song time. "Generic Radio Hit Song" might chime in at 3:32, and the record label would say "Intro 0:15." It told the DJ how long he had to talk before the lyrics began.

Something that bothers me: Use of the phrase "centered around." It's "centered on."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

When radio DJs talk over the beginning of a song, before the vocals come in. ....

Heh. I came on here to grouse that while my wife loves hockey, she also loves talking over the TV commentators and I just want to tell her to STFU so I can listen. Tonight there was a commercial for a Kevin Bacon movie and she started talking about "Footloose" and kept talking about it after the game came back on.....I don't care about Kevin Bacon movies when I'm watching hockey!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

I hate single versions of songs as they leave out certain parts. Light My Fire has the middle organ solo eliminated in the single.  Heart's Magic Man leaves out the Moog Synthesizer and the ohhh ohhhh part in the single.

However, Manfred Mann's Blinded By the Light, I do prefer the single as the album version annoys me after the tempo change which does not even cover Springsteen's song.  The single goes right to the outro after Early Curly Whirly and cuts the second verse and slowdown out completely as well as the last verse.

That song is so played out it's not even likeable any longer.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

How about On Threes Company when Furley tried to roast Jack like previous landlord Roper about being homosexual (though Jack only said he was one cause it was immoral to show unmarried people of both sexes cohabiting).  Furley doing it wasn't funny like Roper was. To me it was carbon copied just like Jack Burns carbon copied Knotts on Andy Griffith which gave Burns Chuck Cunningham Syndrome after a few episodes.
IMO they should have dropped the Gay Charade after the Ropers left as it was a new decade then and new values.

Also in the end I think that they should have married off Jack and Janet to be the stars of Threes A Crowd instead of firing the other stars and replacing them with two new ones. Though Mary Choradette was a good actress, it wasn't the time for her to be in this show.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

texaskdog

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 02, 2021, 07:38:36 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on April 02, 2021, 07:32:06 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2021, 04:33:15 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 02, 2021, 09:19:29 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on April 01, 2021, 08:50:12 PM
My big beef with ice in drinks is when you get a soft drink at a restaurant that's been filled by the workers, the cup is filled up 90% with ice! C'mon, the drink is already pretty cold once out of the dispenser, so it doesn't really need that much more to get it cold. Plus the ice dilutes the drink.

That's my second beef.  My first is that they immediately fill the drink and then it sits melting and diluting while there are still five cars in front of me waiting to pay and pick up their orders.  Bonus irritation when they sit the drink or milkshake on the window ledge in direct sunlight to melt even faster.

Both of these can be fixed by ordering the beverage with no ice (which is a fairly common request). You can then add ice when you get home, if you're not immediately consuming the beverage.

There wouldn't be much point for the restaurant to intentionally overfill the cup with ice, as the cost of the soda is only a few cents—most of the expense of a soda is the custom-printed cup. When I worked at Burger King, I wouldn't ever fill the cups to the ice-fill line printed on the cups (which was about 3/4 of the way up the cup), I'd usually just do about half. Only got a few people complaining about not having enough ice.

I work with a guy who puts only one cube in every drink.  At that point why bother?

Assuming you're talking about liquor, just enough to cool it down and dilute it a bit.  If you're talking a Big Gulp, I agree.

Chris

WATER!

texaskdog

If the song was an instrumental they'd never shut up.

Much like commentating sporting events.  If it's on the radio I need the action described.  Talking over something I can see is not as necessary.  I like having people over to watch games to drown all of it out. 

texaskdog

Quote from: roadman65 on April 03, 2021, 10:49:43 AM
How about On Threes Company when Furley tried to roast Jack like previous landlord Roper about being homosexual (though Jack only said he was one cause it was immoral to show unmarried people of both sexes cohabiting).  Furley doing it wasn’t funny like Roper was. To me it was carbon copied just like Jack Burns carbon copied Knotts on Andy Griffith which gave Burns Chuck Cunningham Syndrome after a few episodes.
IMO they should have dropped the Gay Charade after the Ropers left as it was a new decade then and new values.

Also in the end I think that they should have married off Jack and Janet to be the stars of Threes A Crowd instead of firing the other stars and replacing them with two new ones. Though Mary Choradette was a good actress, it wasn’t the time for her to be in this show.

100% agreed.  Would have been a much better ending. 

ibthebigd

Getting off on an exit and the place you want to visit it pretty far away from the exit.

SM-G950U

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on April 02, 2021, 10:53:48 PM
I hate single versions of songs as they leave out certain parts. Light My Fire has the middle organ solo eliminated in the single.  Heart's Magic Man leaves out the Moog Synthesizer and the ohhh ohhhh part in the single.
Then there's Taylor Swift's song Me, where part of the song in the single version is omitted from the album version...

Apparently spelling is only fun on the radio.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kurumi

Suppose the next 3 exits ahead of you are 9, 10, and 13 (mileage-based). You normally take exit 10.

However, Caltrans your DOT has closed off your exit ramp 10 for construction. They post a sign for this not in advance of exit 9 (easy detour), but after exit 9, so you have to detour 6 miles instead of 1 using exit 13.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

noelbotevera

A pencil tip breaks/pen runs out of ink mid sentence, forcing you to get another one.

Definitely not speaking from experience, no siree.

(Add additional frustration when this happens in the middle of a test, despite sharpening your pencils/confirming your pen has ink beforehand)
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kurumi on April 03, 2021, 10:13:58 PM
Suppose the next 3 exits ahead of you are 9, 10, and 13 (mileage-based). You normally take exit 10.

However, Caltrans your DOT has closed off your exit ramp 10 for construction. They post a sign for this not in advance of exit 9 (easy detour), but after exit 9, so you have to detour 6 miles instead of 1 using exit 13.

I talked to a DOT person about that once.  No matter how much signage was used, motorists had a tendency to ignore it.  Once they got to Exit 10 and realized the exit was closed, then they had to fend for themselves trying to figure out what roads to take.  Thus, DOTs starting signing detours after the closed exit, since they now had the motorist's attention.  Unfortunately, as you point out, it sometimes results in a very lengthy detour.

Obviously, as long as you know the shorter route, you can take it.  And that's what most people will do.  But for those not paying attention (and many people tune out everything until they get to their exit), the detour is signed at the closure point, not before.

texaskdog

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 05, 2021, 04:00:24 PM
A pencil tip breaks/pen runs out of ink mid sentence, forcing you to get another one.

(Add additional frustration when this happens in the middle of a test, despite sharpening your pencils/confirming your pen has ink beforehand)

Or the laptop battery low so you have to find the cord and plug it in :P

noelbotevera

Quote from: texaskdog on April 05, 2021, 04:20:52 PM

Low battery isn't that annoying, unless you own a laptop that pesters you to plug it in or shuts off with low battery. Usually I keep my laptop charger nearby, but I'm sure there's weirdos who use their laptop away from the charger - as if it's some portable computer or something (scoff).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

I-55

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 05, 2021, 04:07:48 PM

I talked to a DOT person about that once.  No matter how much signage was used, motorists had a tendency to ignore it.  Once they got to Exit 10 and realized the exit was closed, then they had to fend for themselves trying to figure out what roads to take.  Thus, DOTs starting signing detours after the closed exit, since they now had the motorist's attention.  Unfortunately, as you point out, it sometimes results in a very lengthy detour.

Obviously, as long as you know the shorter route, you can take it.  And that's what most people will do.  But for those not paying attention (and many people tune out everything until they get to their exit), the detour is signed at the closure point, not before.

or you just sign it before AND after
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

jeffandnicole

Quote from: I-55 on April 05, 2021, 04:40:18 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 05, 2021, 04:07:48 PM

or you just sign it before AND after

Only 1 signed detour is needed.  Those that know can go the shorter way.  Those that don't know can go the signed way.  They won't know any better anyway.

texaskdog

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 05, 2021, 04:25:51 PM

Low battery isn't that annoying, unless you own a laptop that pesters you to plug it in or shuts off with low battery. Usually I keep my laptop charger nearby, but I'm sure there's weirdos who use their laptop away from the charger - as if it's some portable computer or something (scoff).

the warning is usually less than a minute before it shuts off

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: texaskdog on April 05, 2021, 07:42:58 PM

i'm lucky to get 20 minutes out of my battery. i really need a new laptop.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

I work with a guy who puts only one cube in every drink.  At that point why bother?

To make the drink a little bit colder.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on April 06, 2021, 02:54:02 PM

To make the drink a little bit colder.

I used to do that with certain bourbons–I used one ice cube both to chill it slightly and to take a bit of the bite off, but I didn't use more than one ice cube because it would dilute the bourbon too much.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on April 05, 2021, 08:27:56 PM

Or maybe just a new battery.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ozarkman417

Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2021, 09:14:03 PM

If that is possible with that specific model. I have a laptop that gives max 1 hour of battery, gives the low battery warning 1 minute before death, and said battery is not replaceable.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2021, 09:14:03 PM

dell vostro thats past end-of-life... but soldiers on with the ac adapter...
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

Quote from: ozarkman417 on April 06, 2021, 09:31:50 PM
If that is possible with that specific model. I have a laptop that gives max 1 hour of battery, gives the low battery warning 1 minute before death, and said battery is not replaceable.

It's for the same reason that I no longer buy cell phones that don't have a replaceable battery.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.