News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 06:17:12 PM
When websites auto log you out even if you press the "remember me" button.

The one I'm thinking of even says "remember me for 60 days".  I get on once a week, and I have to log in every time.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 29, 2021, 06:32:24 PM

The one I'm thinking of even says "remember me for 60 days".  I get on once a week, and I have to log in every time.

What's worse is the sites that not only don't remember you, but they two-factor authenticate you, and then act like it's your fault with some sort of message about how they don't recognize you logging in from that browser before. I haven't even rebooted my computer since I logged in here last; if you don't recognize my browser that is strictly a you problem.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

All salt and pepper shakers should be clear.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 29, 2021, 06:37:34 PM

I would have agreed, before I discovered the ones where the holes that the salt and pepper come out of are shaped like "S" and "P".

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on April 29, 2021, 07:09:42 PM

I would have agreed, before I discovered the ones where the holes that the salt and pepper come out of are shaped like "S" and "P".

That's cute, and I kind of want some like that now. But that wouldn't solve the problem of someone accidentally (or intentionally) putting pepper in the S shaker, which clear shakers would obviate.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 29, 2021, 06:26:54 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 06:24:57 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on April 29, 2021, 06:18:44 PM
*cough* College Board's site
That was the one I was thinking about!
College Board is an annoyance to me for the past 3 years. Glad I'll be done with them after this year's AP exams.

Wait 'til you find out how common that is for employer's mandatory email systems and payroll systems...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on April 29, 2021, 08:13:03 PM
College Board is an annoyance to me for the past 3 years. Glad I'll be done with them after this year's AP exams.

Wait 'til you find out how common that is for employer's mandatory email systems and payroll systems...
Can you not save passwords?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

Speaking of payroll systems, the fact that NYS "upgraded" their online paycheck site to a system that is exactly the same in every way, except the login now requires a captcha and signing in and viewing your paycheck both have a pointless animation that makes everything take 10x as long as it used to.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JoePCool14

College Board is anything but just a "minor annoyance".

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

I-55

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 29, 2021, 11:11:39 PM

College Board is anything but just a "minor annoyance".

Word of the wise: If you can get AP credit for a college course but are considering retaking: don't. Take the credit and move on. My GPA would be higher if I didn't retake calc 2.

I took seven AP exams in HS. I got a 3 4's, 3 5's, and a 2 in gov (my online test submission must've gotten corrupted or something, College Board's standards were super strict last year, it very well could've been that my image submitted sideways even though I checked for that.)

It is annoying that I didn't get college credit for government, but I tested out of 6 classes in Civil Engineering so I'm not too salty. I tested out of as many humanities as the school would've allowed me so the gov credit wouldn't have mattered. But that 2 still bothers me...
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 08:42:40 PM

Can you not save passwords?

My workplace's policy was not to use a password manager for our institutional ID and password, which is what we used for our email, payroll, a few other things.  Our PCs were kept working with the original hard drives basically until they failed, so they did fail every few years.  I'm not sure if they were afraid that the saved passwords would be unrecoverable from the backup, or if they could be recovered by unauthorized persons from the backups.  Policy was we could use a password manager for all sorts of trivial things if we wanted, but not for those.

Also for some of us used shared computers a significant amount of the time, and if we didn't know our passwords we couldn't be moved around to cover absences.

SSOWorld

Dinner guest: Would you pass the salt?

Me: Sure

Dinner guest: I didn't ask for the pepper!

(A take on the "manners" of passing the pepper along with the salt even though it wasn't explicitly asked for)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CNGL-Leudimin

This doesn't affect you, since you have the originals. But why the heck they "translate" the commands??? :verymad: For example, I press Ctrl+S expecting a program to save the file, but instead I turn the underlined text on because the save command is Ctrl+G instead. And that starts a chain, because underlined text is Ctrl+S as said instead of the expected Ctrl+U, which in turn is open a new file instead of the expected Ctrl+N, which in turn is bold text instead of the expected Ctrl+B, which in turn is search alongside the expected Ctrl+F. Seriously, they couldn't keep all the commands the same for every language, like it happens with Ctrl+X (cut), Ctrl+C (copy), Ctrl+V (paste), Ctrl+P (print) or Ctrl+Z (undo)? Interestingly, the print one doesn't get changed to Ctrl+I, which is still italic text despite that getting an alternate command, Ctrl+K.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on April 29, 2021, 06:14:42 PM
As long as TWC continues to name winter storms and expect members of the general public to go along with it, they will continue to be worthless.

If we were all worthless because of one or two annoying things, we're collectively bankrupt. I don't care about winter storm naming anymore than I care about the announcer's name, but I'd like to know if my travel plans are about to be borked.

Their tendency to sensationalize is a genuine annoyance. "200 MILLION AMERICANS AFFECTED BY RAIN EVENT" and "WORST ICE STORM EVER STAY TUNED" (...but it's in Yakutsk), is the troubling part but I suppose it puts them in line with modern news media standards...

1995hoo

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 30, 2021, 04:08:42 AM

Dinner guest: Would you pass the salt?

Me: Sure

Dinner guest: I didn't ask for the pepper!

(A take on the "manners" of passing the pepper along with the salt even though it wasn't explicitly asked for)

My father once said you have to pass them together so the salt shaker won't get lonely.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SkyPesos

Quote from: I-55 on April 30, 2021, 12:39:53 AM
Word of the wise: If you can get AP credit for a college course but are considering retaking: don't. Take the credit and move on. My GPA would be higher if I didn't retake calc 2.
That's what current Purdue students are telling me too, so I'm going with it.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2021, 07:59:29 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 29, 2021, 07:09:42 PM

That's cute, and I kind of want some like that now. But that wouldn't solve the problem of someone accidentally (or intentionally) putting pepper in the S shaker, which clear shakers would obviate.

Yeah, it does require placing a bit of faith in whoever filled them, but that's about as good as you're going to get for a non-clear option.

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2021, 06:36:18 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 29, 2021, 06:32:24 PM

What's worse is the sites that not only don't remember you, but they two-factor authenticate you, and then act like it's your fault with some sort of message about how they don't recognize you logging in from that browser before. I haven't even rebooted my computer since I logged in here last; if you don't recognize my browser that is strictly a you problem.

Any time I see a captcha I want to drink poison

texaskdog

Once I wanted parmesan on my spaghetti.  Wouldn't have occured to me why someone put sea salt on the table.

GaryV

And it gets really stupid.  I have to log in to Windows when I open the laptop.  Then I have to log in to the VPN. I have to log in if I want to get to my company profile, including payroll, vacation, benefits, etc. There are several apps that require logging.  The stupid part - we have coordinated logins, so all of them have the same account and password!  (And if you click the "remember me" box for those that have it, it only remembers you for that day.)

kphoger

1.  The new timeclock system at work only lets me submit PTO requests in whole-hour increments.

2.  Cortana.
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

People who delete their posts (particularly the OP) or edit out everything, so the thread no longer makes sense.

JoePCool14

Quote from: GaryV on April 30, 2021, 10:37:41 AM
People who delete their posts (particularly the OP) or edit out everything, so the thread no longer makes sense.

As if 7, o, and sorry weren't the top 3 threads on AARoads of all time.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Threads you'll never see on AARoads...
Male pronouns, please.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 30, 2021, 10:47:14 AM
Quote from: GaryV on April 30, 2021, 10:37:41 AM

As if 7, o, and sorry weren't the top 3 threads on AARoads of all time.

The ironic part is that all of those edited OP's were completely reasonable, especially compared to some of the other content from the user in question :pan:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.