News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Quote from: cl94 on July 21, 2021, 10:01:28 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 21, 2021, 08:20:29 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 21, 2021, 07:46:04 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 21, 2021, 07:10:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 21, 2021, 06:20:35 PM
When your hands still feel greasy after washing them
Chicken soup?

I've...never tried washing my hands with chicken soup. Have you?
No... gross 😝

Posting a picture of the Grand Alan's mom in a thread without permission is prohibited by Alanland statute. First offense, you have to let her serve you chicken soup. Second offense, you are served in the chicken soup. Don't try washing your hands.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 21, 2021, 11:36:41 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 21, 2021, 10:24:42 PM
Speaking of hotel showers - when the ventilation is bad enough in the bathroom where everything is coated in steam/condensation when you're down showering and things don't normalize to the point where you can use the bathroom again for a couple hours afterwards.  Sadly all too common.

In most houses around here they have a vent fan in the ceiling that you can turn on to help with that. I don't remember if I've seen those in hotels.

They're installed about one-third of the time, based on my stay averages. Not much consistency on brand, either.

GaryV

Speaking of hotel showers - when the ventilation is bad enough in the bathroom where everything is coated in steam/condensation when you're down showering and things don't normalize to the point where you can use the bathroom again for a couple hours afterwards.  Sadly all too common.

In most houses around here they have a vent fan in the ceiling that you can turn on to help with that. I don't remember if I've seen those in hotels.

A coworker was building or remodeling a home.  He said he wanted a bathroom fan that did more than buzz in the ceiling.  That's the kind of fan you find all too often in hotel rooms.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2021, 02:39:18 PM
Things COVID taught us: Coughing in public is now as bad as, or worse than, farting in public.

THANK you!

used to be in the old days a fart would clear the room. now it's a cough. i'm a smoker, so sometimes i cough. and people just scatter.

bonus points if you cough to cover up a fart.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2021, 02:39:18 PM
Things COVID taught us: Coughing in public is now as bad as, or worse than, farting in public.

Sneezing too: I can think of a handful of times where I've sneezed in a grocery store and instantly got a few dirty looks...

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 22, 2021, 07:26:40 AM
bonus points if you cough to cover up a fart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBx4Kak9TDc
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

I dislike bathroom vent fans.  We have one at home and I hardly ever use it.  I usually leave the door open, though.  When I keep the door closed, I only really use the vent fan so the mirror doesn't get as fogged up.  But I enjoy stepping out of the shower into warm humidity.  Less of a shock that way.

In a lot of hotels, the vent fan comes on automatically with the light, as they're tied to the same switch.  I think that's annoying, especially if the sink and mirror are out on the other side of the door.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

kphoger

Please explain:

How is it that a person saying ...

... somehow ...

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 21, 2021, 09:53:42 PM
made

... you ask ...

Chicken soup?

I'm still thoroughly confused about how your question relates to his post.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 09:53:54 AM

I dislike bathroom vent fans.  We have one at home and I hardly ever use it.  I usually leave the door open, though.  When I keep the door closed, I only really use the vent fan so the mirror doesn't get as fogged up.  But I enjoy stepping out of the shower into warm humidity.  Less of a shock that way.

In a lot of hotels, the vent fan comes on automatically with the light, as they're tied to the same switch.  I think that's annoying, especially if the sink and mirror are out on the other side of the door.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option of keeping the door open, since one of my bathrooms opens out to the bedroom (where my wife is often sleeping, and having the door open with the light on would bother her) and the other opens out into the main hallway (where the cats live, who like to destroy toilet paper if given the chance).

I don't care so much about the steam, except that during the summer it's already so damn humid that I don't want to make it worse. During the winter, I try to get away without using the vent fan to add moisture to the air to make it feel warmer. But I do normally use the fan if I have to shave in the same room as I showered in (my normal routine in two-bathroom houses is to shower in one and shave in the other so that I don't have to worry about the mirror getting fogged up at all).

What really is a minor thing that bothers me is that whenever my wife takes a shower she turns the vent fan on and never goes back to turn it off, so it's still running hours after she took a shower, or perhaps even after she's left the house.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

@Scott - Install a timer switch if you can. That way she could just put it on for 15, 30, or 60 minutes.  ;-)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

To merge two emerging themes from this discussion: Anyone ever hear a bathroom exhaust ventilation system called a "fart fan?"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 12:12:45 PM
Please explain:

How is it that a person saying ...

... somehow ...

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 21, 2021, 09:53:42 PM
made

... you ask ...

Chicken soup?

I'm still thoroughly confused about how your question relates to his post.
I was thinking chicken soup or oil was greasy so it made me ask that question.

kphoger

And see, I don't eat chicken soup with my hands.  Maybe I've been doing it wrong my whole life?
Male pronouns, please.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 02:42:07 PM
And see, I don't eat chicken soup with my hands.  Maybe I've been doing it wrong my whole life?
Maybe when you were a baby.

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 02:43:51 PM

But I didn't know how to wash my hands back then.
Male pronouns, please.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 02:58:51 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 02:43:51 PM

But I didn't know how to wash my hands back then.
Same. Your parents would do that for you.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: formulanone on July 22, 2021, 02:35:34 AM

They're installed about one-third of the time, based on my stay averages. Not much consistency on brand, either.

My experience is a bit different. I'm hard pressed to think of any hotels that I've been to that lacked a loud and inexplicably rattling vent fan. The only difference is whether it has its own switch or if it comes on automatically with the light.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 22, 2021, 01:26:28 PM
@Scott - Install a timer switch if you can. That way she could just put it on for 15, 30, or 60 minutes.  ;-)

That's not something I've thought of before. But I'm not sure that I care enough about it that it's worth monkeying around with the switch wiring...or whether my wife would even use the timer if I went through the effort. :-D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 03:01:42 PM
Same. Your parents would do that for you.

Oh.  Now it all makes perfect sense.
Male pronouns, please.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 02:11:25 PM
To merge two emerging themes from this discussion: Anyone ever hear a bathroom exhaust ventilation system called a "fart fan?"
I always thought they vented into the attic ... so is the attic full of condensed fart particles?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 22, 2021, 04:33:17 PM
I always thought they vented into the attic ... so is the attic full of condensed fart particles?

You mean unlike the rest of your house?  You know, your house that's filled with dust made from human skin, which you breathe in all the time.

As my son recently said when I mentioned that:  We're all cannibals.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Here's one for the music theorists on the board:

The term "minor sixth" as defining a chord is ambiguous.  Is it a major triad with an added minor sixth tone?  Is it a minor triad with an added major sixth tone?  Is it a minor triad with an added minor sixth tone?

The correct answer is the second one:  a minor triad with an added major sixth tone.  But this is unlike the minor seventh chord, which is a minor triad with an added minor seventh tone.

Thus, to name a chord that is merely the I, iii, V, and vi tones of a minor scale, one must write it as Xmin(min6).  Whereas to name a chord that is merely the I, iii, V, and vii tones of a minor scale, one only needs to write it as Xmin7.

This is dumb, and we can do better.
Male pronouns, please.

vdeane

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 22, 2021, 03:10:06 PM

My experience is a bit different. I'm hard pressed to think of any hotels that I've been to that lacked a loud and inexplicably rattling vent fan. The only difference is whether it has its own switch or if it comes on automatically with the light.
Meanwhile, it's been the opposite for me.  In fact, the last place I stayed at, the fan seemed to be purely decorative.  As the prospect of flooding my room with moisture does not appeal to me, I was stuck waiting a couple hours for the bathroom to be usable again.  Its not fun trying to use the wall mirror and the outlet on a bed stand to dry my hair (after drying off my hair brushes, which were in the bathroom and covered in condensation; thank God my hairdryer was stored in the dresser).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: vdeane on July 22, 2021, 10:04:56 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 22, 2021, 03:10:06 PM

Meanwhile, it's been the opposite for me.  In fact, the last place I stayed at, the fan seemed to be purely decorative.  As the prospect of flooding my room with moisture does not appeal to me, I was stuck waiting a couple hours for the bathroom to be usable again.  Its not fun trying to use the wall mirror and the outlet on a bed stand to dry my hair (after drying off my hair brushes, which were in the bathroom and covered in condensation; thank God my hairdryer was stored in the dresser).

Our experiences are definitely very different. Beyond the issue of the vent, I have never once put anything in a drawer in a hotel room.  :-D
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.