News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATraveler128

Something that bothers me is small dogs. I just think they're annoying because of their high pitched bark. (sorry to anyone who has one)
Formerly BlueOutback7

Lowest untraveled number: 96

allniter89

Quote from: snowc on March 01, 2022, 12:32:34 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 14, 2022, 09:49:01 PM
I just sat down on the couch next to our cat. Holy shit, she must have ripped a huge fart while I was in the other room. What a stench.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My cat does this too!
So does my dog and he has bad breath and he snores!!! I gave him something for his breath & he brought me a bottle of Listerine :-D
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

MATraveler128

I don't like the sound of Amazon vans backing up. It sounds like a walkie-talkie. So annoying.
Formerly BlueOutback7

Lowest untraveled number: 96

snowc

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 03, 2022, 10:31:28 AM
I don't like the sound of Amazon vans backing up. It sounds like a walkie-talkie. So annoying.
Agree with this.
Amazon delivered 3 packages that were ordered by my (yes) my cat. :colorful:
Had to drive to the UPS store three times in a ROW! :angry:

hotdogPi

Quote from: snowc on March 03, 2022, 10:36:36 AM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 03, 2022, 10:31:28 AM
Agree with this.
Amazon delivered 3 packages that were ordered by my (yes) my cat. :colorful:
Had to drive to the UPS store three times in a ROW! :angry:

Maybe turn off one-click ordering?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on January 25, 2022, 12:57:18 PM

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 24, 2022, 10:07:02 PM
-People don't tip when picking up food, despite the same amount of effort being put into making it.

Aren't the tips for the waiters handling table service at a sit-down restaurant?  That wouldn't be a factor with take-out.

This.

My tip is for the waiter or waitress.  (I understand that some establishments expect a portion of the tips to go to busboys as well.)  But the kitchen staff preparing my meal is paid at least minimum wage;  they don't live on tips.  Yes, the same amount of effort went into preparing my order, but the people preparing it are not the people to whom tips are expected to go.

When I order my food for pickup, no hostess seated me, no waiter took my order, no busboy cleaned up my table.  To whom would my tip be going for a pickup order?

When I walk into a counter-serve restaurant and see a tip jar on the counter, ... well, that's a minor thing that bothers me.  You don't get a tip just because you rang up my order on the register.  Can you imagine if the cashier at Target had a tip jar sitting out?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

snowc

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2022, 10:48:07 AM
Quote from: vdeane on January 25, 2022, 12:57:18 PM

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 24, 2022, 10:07:02 PM
-People don't tip when picking up food, despite the same amount of effort being put into making it.

Aren't the tips for the waiters handling table service at a sit-down restaurant?  That wouldn't be a factor with take-out.

This.

My tip is for the waiter or waitress.  (I understand that some establishments expect a portion of the tips to go to busboys as well.)  But the kitchen staff preparing my meal is paid at least minimum wage;  they don't live on tips.  Yes, the same amount of effort went into preparing my order, but the people preparing it are not the people to whom tips are expected to go.

When I order my food for pickup, no hostess seated me, no waiter took my order, no busboy cleaned up my table.  To whom would my tip be going for a pickup order?

When I walk into a counter-serve restaurant and see a tip jar on the counter, ... well, that's a minor thing that bothers me.  You don't get a tip just because you rang up my order on the register.  Can you imagine if the cashier at Target had a tip jar sitting out?
Tipping doesnt really work well in non dine in environments. I dont tip that well with orders that are carryout.

webny99

Oooh... and even worse, when the credit card machine forces you to enter a tip, oftentimes defaulting to 10 or 15% unless you select "No Tip" - all while the cashier is watching. There's a local pizza shop near me that has this, and it makes me cringe every time.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2022, 11:17:52 AM
Oooh... and even worse, when the credit card machine forces you to enter a tip, oftentimes defaulting to 10 or 15% unless you select "No Tip" - all while the cashier is watching. There's a local pizza shop near me that has this, and it makes me cringe every time.

Why not pay cash?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

snowc

Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2022, 11:31:25 AM

Why not pay cash?
Not everyone accept cash! They want their smoochy money that only one person will understand. See below.

:bigass: :bigass: :bigass:

TheHighwayMan3561

I feel we may have had this discussion on here before but maybe it was somewhere else. I don't mind if the local coffee/pizza shop asks for a tip. I do mind that places like Subway started suggesting one.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

snowc

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 03, 2022, 11:41:07 AM

I feel we may have had this discussion on here before but maybe it was somewhere else. I don't mind if the local coffee/pizza shop asks for a tip. I do mind that places like Subway started suggesting one.
Tips are tips. If you don't have enough money, JUST ROUND IT! Usually Walmart will round the prices to be even. $8.00 - $7.89 = $0.11!

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2022, 10:48:07 AMWhen I order my food for pickup, no hostess seated me, no waiter took my order, no busboy cleaned up my table.  To whom would my tip be going for a pickup order?
More often than not, it is a server who bagged up your order, so...your tip goes to them, same as if they waited on you in the restaurant.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2022, 11:31:25 AM

Why not pay cash?

I often do - probably more often than many other people. I find cash still works reasonably well anywhere with a drive thru, as I keep change in my dash compartment and I can have exact change or the simplest available denomination ready to give the cashier before I get up to the window. That doesn't work as well at a pizza shop with no drive thru, as I don't keep much change (if any) in my wallet, so I'll end up having to get change, which is ironically even more awkward at the counter than it is at the drive thru.

So when places started have coin shortages about a year ago, combined with sanitary concerns over Covid, I all but abandoned the use of cash for any over the counter transactions except at drive-thrus.

Scott5114

I stopped using much cash during covid too, though that's mostly because my bank banned people from going inside for a while, and the closest branch with a drive thru is on the west side. I could get money from an ATM, but I don't like $20s. And then there's the issue of dealing with the coins. I generally prefer to keep all coins at home and then deposit them into savings when I get around $20 worth. But with the bank lobby closed, I couldn't get at the coin counter, and sitting in my car watching the teller count the change by hand was embarrassing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

The vast majority of my cash use last year came in one day at the Minnesota State Fair. Usually I only use cash for official purposes like a government entity who won't take cards.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kkt

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 03, 2022, 11:54:51 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2022, 10:48:07 AMWhen I order my food for pickup, no hostess seated me, no waiter took my order, no busboy cleaned up my table.  To whom would my tip be going for a pickup order?
More often than not, it is a server who bagged up your order, so...your tip goes to them, same as if they waited on you in the restaurant.

Yes... if minimum wage (if they even get that) isn't enough to live on when they're serving at tables, it's still not enough to live on when they're putting food in containers for you.

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 03, 2022, 01:39:23 PMthe closest branch with a drive thru is on the west side
Oh, now there's a minor thing that bothers me: The decline of drive-up banking.  Yes, I'm aware that it's in decline because not enough people are using it, but an ATM can't perform every single function you need (cash withdrawals in specific denominations and obtaining cashier's checks are two that spring to mind), and in the age of COVID, drive-up banking is even more valuable than it was a few years ago.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 03, 2022, 02:48:52 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 03, 2022, 01:39:23 PMthe closest branch with a drive thru is on the west side
Oh, now there's a minor thing that bothers me: The decline of drive-up banking.  Yes, I'm aware that it's in decline because not enough people are using it, but an ATM can't perform every single function you need (cash withdrawals in specific denominations and obtaining cashier's checks are two that spring to mind), and in the age of COVID, drive-up banking is even more valuable than it was a few years ago.

Some ATMs do allow a choice of denominations. The Bank of America closest to our house offers $100s, $20s, and $10s; the Capital One in Springfield, Virginia, offers some level of selection that includes $5s and $1s (I'm not sure what else it offers). The Bank of America ATM in question asks whether you want to pick your own denominations or have the machine select, and it tells you what you'll get if you let the machine pick (e.g., if you get $200 and let it select, you'll get a $100 and five $20s). I like being able to get $10s because they're more convenient for tipping when I go for a haircut.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on March 03, 2022, 02:47:55 PM

Yes... if minimum wage (if they even get that) isn't enough to live on when they're serving at tables, it's still not enough to live on when they're putting food in containers for you.

Are you telling me that the servers are actually putting my food in the containers?  Why isn't the kitchen staff doing that?

If not, then all the server did was to pick it up from the kitchen and stick it in a bag on the counter.  What's that, 90 seconds of work?  Forgive my ignorance of how restaurant staff run their operation, but I still fail to see how that's worth a tip.  At $10 per hour, 90 seconds is worth 25 cents.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2022, 03:09:36 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 03, 2022, 02:48:52 PM

Some ATMs do allow a choice of denominations. The Bank of America closest to our house offers $100s, $20s, and $10s; the Capital One in Springfield, Virginia, offers some level of selection that includes $5s and $1s (I'm not sure what else it offers). The Bank of America ATM in question asks whether you want to pick your own denominations or have the machine select, and it tells you what you'll get if you let the machine pick (e.g., if you get $200 and let it select, you'll get a $100 and five $20s). I like being able to get $10s because they're more convenient for tipping when I go for a haircut.
There are also Chase ATMs here that are like that, but they're incredibly rare, and useless if they're out of a particular denomination.

A couple weeks ago, I went to get cash to pay our handyman, and I couldn't select denominations, so the ATM gave me a big stack of 20s.  The Chase I went to didn't have drive-up banking, and the bank across the street wouldn't exchange the bills because I'm not a customer, so I had to give our handyman a big stack of 20s.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2022, 03:21:08 PM

Are you telling me that the servers are actually putting my food in the containers?  Why isn't the kitchen staff doing that?

If not, then all the server did was to pick it up from the kitchen and stick it in a bag on the counter.  What's that, 90 seconds of work?  Forgive my ignorance of how restaurant staff run their operation, but I still fail to see how that's worth a tip.  At $10 per hour, 90 seconds is worth 25 cents.
How often are you ordering take-out from sit-down restaurants that adding an extra buck or two to the purchase would severely negatively impact your bank account?

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 03, 2022, 04:03:24 PM

How often are you ordering take-out from sit-down restaurants that adding an extra buck or two to the purchase would severely negatively impact your bank account?

How is that the point?

What I'm questioning is why a take-out order calls for tipping at all in the first place.  I mean, I don't tip at Wendy's either, even though adding an extra buck or two wouldn't impact my bank account.  I don't see how putting some napkins in the sack with my food containers is remotely the same as taking ownership of my dining experience while I'm seated at a table–taking my order, making sure my drinks are topped off and that everything is as expected, being there to bring me anything extra I might want, etc.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on March 03, 2022, 04:13:24 PMHow is that the point?
You're the one arguing that the serfs don't deserve your largesse, not me.

kkt

I believe the boxing is done by lower-level employees than the cooks, yes.  The cooks are keeping their eyes on the stove and several heating processes and are paid more than servers for their expertise.  They should not be distracted by boxing food up in containers.

And the point remains, in many states servers make "tipped minimum wage" which is $2.13 an hour.  No one can live on that, so I certainly hope some people are tipping them.

I'm not fond of the custom of tipping but it's the custom we have and I'm not going to cheat the people who serve me, whether it's at a table or boxing and bagging my order for me to grab it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.