News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: ZLoth on March 17, 2022, 02:47:44 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on March 17, 2022, 02:14:51 PM
When someone who waits on you in a business, and they consistently call you "buddy" or "chief".

What about "boss"? I get that sometimes as well.

Once in a while I get that.  It makes me uncomfortable when it's from a black man to me (white man).

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on March 17, 2022, 03:35:24 PM
Once in a while I get that.  It makes me uncomfortable when it's from a black man to me (white man).

Oh, great...  That had never even occurred to me before, and now I won't be able to help thinking about it whenever I'm in that situation.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Hannibal Buress has a really funny bit about going to a timeshare pitch and resisting the pressure to buy, and it's centered on the fact that the first guy he talked to was a white guy named Rocky who kept calling him "bro" and he doesn't like it when white guys call him "bro."

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2022, 03:38:39 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 17, 2022, 03:35:24 PM

Oh, great...  That had never even occurred to me before, and now I won't be able to help thinking about it whenever I'm in that situation.
Yeah, we're in the middle of a house hunt, and I'm really trying to get "master bedroom" out of my vocabulary.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 17, 2022, 11:05:12 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2022, 09:43:34 AM
Quote from: kkt on March 17, 2022, 01:52:25 AM
Many people keep their work email totally separate from their personal email.  Employers are allowed to peek at email sent or received on their servers.  If it's work for a public agency, like a public college, in many states that email is a public record that can be requested through FOIA request.  Or they may just never check their work email when they're not on the clock and certainly won't be answering personal email when they are on the clock.

Also of note:  any e-mail you send from your work account is a legal document.
Really, any e-mail you send or receive using your work account would be discoverable.

Commingling material on your home device is also a bad idea because if you use your personal device for work, anything you save on there could be subject to disclosure if a forensic expert had to examine the device in discovery to retrieve work-related material.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 17, 2022, 03:43:12 PM
Yeah, we're in the middle of a house hunt, and I'm really trying to get "master bedroom" out of my vocabulary.

Just stay away from "master's bedroom", and let "master bedroom" stay in your vocabulary.

The word "master" as an adjective has a definition meaning "principal, predominant, superlative".  That room is the master bedroom, just as the man in the kitchen at your favorite restaurant is a master chef.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

Quote from: ZLoth on March 17, 2022, 02:47:44 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on March 17, 2022, 02:14:51 PM
When someone who waits on you in a business, and they consistently call you "buddy" or "chief".

What about "boss"? I get that sometimes as well.
I had a classmate in my Navy A School who called everybody "big guy." He was about 5'7", but I'm shorter at 5'6". Just felt very strange but it was only for three months.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2022, 03:56:24 PM

Just stay away from "master's bedroom", and let "master bedroom" stay in your vocabulary.

The word "master" as an adjective has a definition meaning "principal, predominant, superlative".  That room is the master bedroom, just as the man in the kitchen at your favorite restaurant is a master chef.

Master bedrooms in general are a minor thing that bother me. I wish all of the bedrooms in my house had a bathroom and walk-in closet like the master bedroom does.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

There is apparently a push to rename the master bedroom the primary bedroom.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 17, 2022, 11:13:31 PM

Master bedrooms in general are a minor thing that bother me. I wish all of the bedrooms in my house had a bathroom and walk-in closet like the master bedroom does.

I've seen houses with two or three "master" bedrooms - the seller's realtor's term for a large bedroom with attached bathroom and large closet.  I guess it's for extended families or a poly large family.

webny99

Wouldn't that be the other bedrooms that bother you?  :D

abefroman329

Not all master bedrooms have an en-suite bathroom or a walk-in closet - many do not have either one.

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 17, 2022, 11:42:21 PM
There is apparently a push to rename the master bedroom the primary bedroom.

I could go along with this, especially if the term "the primary" or "secondaries" became shorthand.

Eg, "the primary and two secondaries are downstairs, along with two secondaries upstairs".

Ned Weasel

Woah, this thread got LONG, and I'm not gonna BOTHER to read most of it.

Here's one that has irked me for ages:

People who use a left turn lane like this:

Instead of like this:

The lane is there to allow you to get out of the way of through traffic before making your left turn.  Why is this so difficult for people to grasp?

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2022, 02:58:52 PM
Anything's better than "bro".

I don't mind "bro."  It kind of feels gender-affirming.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Max Rockatansky

Probably about 95% of the uses of the word "bro"  I've heard is at the gym.  I don't think that "bro"  left meat head culture for the mainstream unlike "chief"  and "boss"  which always seemed to be there with younger demographics. 

D-Dey65

Typical mentality of the anti-highway groups:

DTComposer

This may very well have been mentioned in the previous 150 pages, but:

People who back-in park in angled spots in a one-way parking aisle, meaning they have to do awkward movements to get in and out; and since one-way parking aisles are generally narrower, they often have to execute a multi-point maneuver.

J N Winkler

Quote from: DTComposer on March 23, 2022, 12:51:03 PMPeople who back-in park in angled spots in a one-way parking aisle, meaning they have to do awkward movements to get in and out; and since one-way parking aisles are generally narrower, they often have to execute a multi-point maneuver.

I think one-way aisles are just a nuisance in general.  If the store is large or busy, I'd much rather be able to get out of the parking lot without having to go all the way up to the entrance and deal with pedestrians there.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Quote from: DTComposer on March 23, 2022, 12:51:03 PM

People who back-in park in angled spots in a one-way parking aisle, meaning they have to do awkward movements to get in and out; and since one-way parking aisles are generally narrower, they often have to execute a multi-point maneuver.

How about people who back into spots in general? Do they just like being contrary? Especially with the advent of rear-view cameras, I don't get it. I had neighbors that backed into their garage. For what purpose?

frankenroad

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 23, 2022, 01:54:40 PM

How about people who back into spots in general? Do they just like being contrary? Especially with the advent of rear-view cameras, I don't get it. I had neighbors that backed into their garage. For what purpose?

I do that sometimes - especially when I anticipate that I will be leaving the parking lot at the same time as a lot of others (like after a concert).
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

DTComposer

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 23, 2022, 01:33:53 PM
Quote from: DTComposer on March 23, 2022, 12:51:03 PMPeople who back-in park in angled spots in a one-way parking aisle, meaning they have to do awkward movements to get in and out; and since one-way parking aisles are generally narrower, they often have to execute a multi-point maneuver.

I think one-way aisles are just a nuisance in general.  If the store is large or busy, I'd much rather be able to get out of the parking lot without having to go all the way up to the entrance and deal with pedestrians there.

Fair point, although I feel like way too much space is used on parking - your average big-box retailer or mid-sized shopping center uses as much land for parking as it does for the buildings themselves - land that goes wasted much of the time, since zoning requires you have the maximum number of spaces for *potential* people in the stores, and that number is rarely reached.

I'd be interested in exploring a requirement that any retail/commercial development over a certain square footage utilize multi-level parking (whether it be above or below the store, or a separate structure).

This used to bother me more, although I've gotten used to it. That said, it never seemed to me that the perceived benefits of back-in parking outweighed those of head-in parking. I was told the main reason is that, when leaving the space, the driver can more easily see oncoming cars/pedestrians. However, in addition to what you said about backup cameras and object detectors, what I've seen is people going into "autopilot" mode (since they're driving forward instead of reverse) and not paying as much attention as they pull out of the space. For me, going into reverse and using mirrors/cameras/looking over shoulders reminds me that I need to be extra-cautious.

Also, I would rather use my more developed skills (driving forward) to navigate into a tight parking spot than my less developed skills (driving in reverse).

Max Rockatansky

Depending on what car I'm driving (I daily an Impreza) I tend to back in.  With my Challenger and previous Camaro the sight lines over the hood were questionable at best.  With those cars it is way easier to park with maximum accuracy backing in as opposed to pulling forward. 

With my garage, I back the Challenger in because it largely sits there and I think it looks cooler that way.

webny99

In the Great Lakes region, where there could be anywhere from 10 to 50 days per season with fresh snow in the morning, it actually makes sense to back in to your driveway (unless you park in a garage, of course). It's worth the extra seconds on the clear days for the days when there's six+ inches of snow and backing through the snowbank and getting stuck at the end of the driveway when you're in a hurry.

jeffandnicole

I back in almost all the time. I have a backup camera. I just back straight in. When I'm ready to leave, I pull straight out. Sightlines are better too for seeing traffic.

J N Winkler

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 23, 2022, 01:54:40 PMHow about people who back into spots in general? Do they just like being contrary? Especially with the advent of rear-view cameras, I don't get it.

I park nose-out almost everywhere I can.  While I won't pretend I don't relish marching to the beat of a different drummer, backing in affords better sightlines when leaving, reduces tire scrub since the steering wheel does not need to be turned through as wide an angle, cuts the risk of damage to the front bumper assembly/radiator bracket/engine cradle as a result of pulling in too far, and makes it easier to leave the steering wheel in the straight-ahead, neutral position.  I have no interest in spending tens of thousands of dollars to buy a car that has rear-view cameras when my daily driver still runs well.

Backing in is considered safer to the extent that organizations that operate large vehicle fleets--such as state DOTs, police departments, and the military--encourage their employees to do so as a matter of course.  At some large companies, such as BP, nosing in has actually become grounds for discipline.

This said, it is not hard to make a nuisance of oneself while seeking to park nose-out.  When I am in a parking lot that does not have parking stops at the inside ends of each space, I tend to look for opportunities to pull forward through another space.  When I actually reverse in, I usually pull past at least one stall width and back through a 90° angle, straightening out the steering wheel as my rear wheels edge into the space.  Other drivers tend to cock their vehicles just outside the stall at the start of the maneuver, which prevents following traffic from stealing the space but leads to bad tire scrub and makes it harder to get the vehicle straight and centered between the lines.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 23, 2022, 01:54:40 PMI had neighbors that backed into their garage. For what purpose?

If there were young children in the neighborhood, that might be part of the reason.  I personally don't back into my garage, but this is mainly because I leave vehicles on battery maintainers and the power cabling is less in the way the closer it is to the back wall of the garage.  I do back into the driveway when I'm dropping off groceries midway through an errand chain, as this puts the trunk nearer the front door.

formulanone

I back into most parking spaces, unless I require to access the trunk/hatch which may not easily be accessible. Sightlines are much more preferable when sitting 2 feet from the front windshield than looking 4-6 feet away out the rear windshield, with more blind spots (especially at night).

But I rarely back into my garage space, maybe just once or twice a year. It's already a tight fit and tougher to account for the tolerances of the rear hatch swinging up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.