News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on April 01, 2022, 11:43:49 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 01, 2022, 11:39:35 AM
Dozens of phony happenings in threads here on April Fools Day.

Yeah, I know it's April Fools Day, but those types of threads get tiring after a while.
I posted mine at like 1 AM I get a pass here.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

Clickbait articles that besides being clickbait never even address the question that they teased with.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 01, 2022, 01:47:08 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on April 01, 2022, 11:43:49 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 01, 2022, 11:39:35 AM
Dozens of phony happenings in threads here on April Fools Day.

Yeah, I know it's April Fools Day, but those types of threads get tiring after a while.
I posted mine at like 1 AM I get a pass here.

No, that just causes everyone to rush to be the first.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

dvferyance

All these overlapping FM stations. Mainly due to all these new translators they are putting on FM from AM stations. Some of them don't even need one like WLW for example.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: dvferyance on April 02, 2022, 05:53:01 PM
All these overlapping FM stations. Mainly due to all these new translators they are putting on FM from AM stations. Some of them don't even need one like WLW for example.

FM translators aren't the worst thing, because it's higher quality sound.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ZLoth

For some portable electronic devices such as portable audio players, an included feature is the ability to tune in FM radio stations (but not AM stations). This included some Android smartphones provided the carrier didn't disable the FM tuner in the phone. Yes, I know there are alternatives including Radio Garden for tuning in radio stations via streaming, but what if a major disaster hits and the data services are down?

Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

ZLoth

While this isn't as bad as disabled parking abuse, it still bothers me...

When people decide to park in the spaces designated as "Curbside pickup", but then go immediately into the store to do regular shopping. I can understand it if there is a problem with the order, but at least you would be parked there at least ten minutes. At least it wasn't busy, but I've seen it occur three times already.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ZLoth on April 03, 2022, 09:12:35 AM

When people decide to park in the spaces designated as "Curbside pickup", but then go immediately into the store to do regular shopping. I can understand it if there is a problem with the order, but at least you would be parked there at least ten minutes. At least it wasn't busy, but I've seen it occur three times already.

Usually doesn't help when a store puts them in prime parking locations as opposed to off to the side.

kkt

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 02, 2022, 06:04:42 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on April 02, 2022, 05:53:01 PM

FM translators aren't the worst thing, because it's higher quality sound.

They are the worst thing when they are too close together, in frequency and location.

zachary_amaryllis

or, giant truck parked in 'compact-only' spaces. screws up parking for entire row when they do that since they're in like 1 1/2 spaces.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Scott5114

When a space is designated for the disabled, people who have physical limitations are given preferential treatment. This preferential treatment makes it easier for them to conduct daily life, which they may not have been able to do without the preferential treatment. This benefits society because it means that more people can participate in it than otherwise. People who are not disabled benefit since they will be there if they become disabled (which most people do as they get older). Misuse of a disabled parking spot can result in getting trouble with the government, which may fine you if they find out about it.

When a space is designated for curbside pickup, a certain type of customer is given preferential treatment by a corporation. This preferential treatment makes it easier for them to spend more money at the store, which they could have done without the preferential treatment. This benefits the corporation because they have more money. People who are not doing curbside pickup don't benefit from the space being designated at all. Misuse of a disabled parking spot can result in getting trouble with store management, which may write a report to corporate if they find out about it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

^ Doesn't that just prove that curbside pickup abuse isn't as bad as accessible parking abuse?

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on April 03, 2022, 03:18:11 PM
^ Doesn't that just prove that curbside pickup abuse isn't as bad as accessible parking abuse?

Yeah, that was my point.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 03, 2022, 03:35:55 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 03, 2022, 03:18:11 PM

Yeah, that was my point.

That's what I thought, but then I wasn't sure if you were agreeing or disagreeing with Zloth. :D

Bruce

Dedicated curbside pickup spaces are a godsend for deliveries, especially those at busy malls and on city streets. For the latter, there needs to be a loading/delivery space on every block in any neighborhood with high parking utilization.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bruce on April 03, 2022, 04:19:58 PM
Dedicated curbside pickup spaces are a godsend for deliveries, especially those at busy malls and on city streets. For the latter, there needs to be a loading/delivery space on every block in any neighborhood with high parking utilization.

Designated loading zones in downtown Seattle are a lot different than the 4-5 spots reserved for pickup at a suburban big box store.

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 03, 2022, 04:21:58 PM

Designated loading zones in downtown Seattle are a lot different than the 4-5 spots reserved for pickup at a suburban big box store.

I also deliver from suburban big box stores where there's a huge time savings using curbside parking. Walmart's system is fairly straightforward for us, though some still want us to call in and give the parking stall number; compared to waiting in line at the indoor pickup door, it's a half-hour of time saved.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bruce on April 03, 2022, 07:16:43 PM

I also deliver from suburban big box stores where there's a huge time savings using curbside parking. Walmart's system is fairly straightforward for us, though some still want us to call in and give the parking stall number; compared to waiting in line at the indoor pickup door, it's a half-hour of time saved.

Yes, but if I am actually going into a big box store and don't use pickup, why should you get to save time instead of me? My money is just as green as yours (or your customer's).

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 03, 2022, 07:22:11 PM

Yes, but if I am actually going into a big box store and don't use pickup, why should you get to save time instead of me? My money is just as green as yours (or your customer's).

Well in this case the customer is paying an extra fee to Walmart and/or the delivery platform. The store will want to incentivize speedier service for that customer to keep using their delivery service and also should (in theory) treat the drivers well because they could choose to blacklist the store and leave them with longer wait times and worse service. There's some Walmarts I avoid because they take too long to get their items out of the side door to me, which affects my earnings and ratings on the platform.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bruce on April 04, 2022, 03:10:05 AM

Well in this case the customer is paying an extra fee to Walmart and/or the delivery platform. The store will want to incentivize speedier service for that customer to keep using their delivery service and also should (in theory) treat the drivers well because they could choose to blacklist the store and leave them with longer wait times and worse service. There's some Walmarts I avoid because they take too long to get their items out of the side door to me, which affects my earnings and ratings on the platform.

Yeah, but as a non-delivery, non-pickup customer...what's any of that got to do with me?

SSOWorld

You chose to walk in.  If you're that lazy, get a handicap sticker.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

formulanone

It's to conserve the Wal-Mart employee's time to bring your stuff out to your vehicle. The buyer gets the benefit, but the employee has to swiftly return to the store to do something else...to make sure they're 99% efficient all the time in the eyes of the company. If they are delivering it clear across the lot, then there's a lot more wasted time. That's why they do it.

[Insert Scott's rant about Wal-Mart after this space]

ZLoth

Quote from: formulanone on April 04, 2022, 07:44:29 AM

It's to conserve the Wal-Mart employee's time to bring your stuff out to your vehicle. The buyer gets the benefit, but the employee has to swiftly return to the store to do something else...to make sure they're 99% efficient all the time in the eyes of the company. If they are delivering it clear across the lot, then there's a lot more wasted time. That's why they do it.

Actually, the store in question was "Total Wine" where I was doing the curbside pickup which is interesting because I'm not a drinker. I do pick up some of the specialty sodas, but mostly, it's for my mother.

The local Chick-Fil-A has discontinued curbside pickup, and encourages you to use the drive-through.

kphoger

Able-bodied relatives of handicapped drivers, who still use the handicap mirror-hanger when driving the vehicle, just so they can park closer to the store unnecessarily.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2022, 10:08:14 AM
Able-bodied relatives of handicapped drivers, who still use the handicap mirror-hanger when driving the vehicle, just so they can park closer to the store unnecessarily.

Agreed.  The handicapped spaces are for people who really need them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.