News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

^^ Also that if a railroad crossing has multiple paths, it will call each separate path a track, such as "2 tracks" if there are 2 paths.

DenverBrian

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on June 12, 2022, 10:59:57 AM
Quote from: bulldog1979 on June 12, 2022, 05:36:39 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on June 12, 2022, 03:09:38 AM
One of the things that bothers me with the streaming video services and the mobile apps is the lack of an Audio-only playback mode. Many of the older television shows and movies are essentially "filmed stage plays", and if you close your eyes, you can still pick up most of the dialogue and audio "hints" much like a radio play. This is useful when you are in a low-bandwidth area or are driving and need to concentrate on the road. I even put this in as Plex Feature Request.

That reminds me of the fact that the audio portion of analog TV channel 6 can be picked up on the radio at 87.7 FM. We used to listen to our local station in the car when the news was airing.

not so much nowadays, thanks to digital tv.
...which makes it a minor thing that bothers me. :D :D :D

thenetwork

My parents had an old stereo system that used to be able to pick up analog Channel *8* on the far left side of the FM dial in the mid 70s before we moved.

This was WJ(K)W‐TV in Cleveland, at the time a CBS affiliate.  There was no TV channel 6 anywhere in NE Ohio.  I used to tape a lot of TV themes off that channel.

webny99

Hangnails. I seem to have five or more at any given moment, and one I have right now is so bad it oozes blood and fluid onto my fingernail when I put pressure on it, not to mention the redness and swelling in the adjacent area of my finger.

MATraveler128

Quote from: webny99 on June 15, 2022, 11:02:24 AM
Hangnails. I seem to have five or more at any given moment, and one I have right now is so bad it oozes blood and fluid onto my fingernail when I put pressure on it, not to mention the redness and swelling in the adjacent area of my finger.

I'm with you on this one. I hate getting these. It's even worse when you're eating something and the grease gets in it and it REALLY hurts.
Formerly BlueOutback7

Lowest untraveled number: 96

kphoger

This shouldn't stay on my screen for five minutes.  Obviously, Windows doesn't know what the phrase "100% complete" means.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Why does the "working on updates" screen have a red background?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2022, 11:15:03 AM
This shouldn't stay on my screen for five minutes.  Obviously, Windows doesn't know what the phrase "100% complete" means.

It shouldn't stay on your screen at all–the update process entirely locking out all user interaction with the system while in progress is unique to Windows. (On Linux, for example, the only update that cannot be swapped out in a fully-running system is the kernel–the very lowest level of the operating system–and even that can have updates installed without disturbing the user; the system merely continues to run the old kernel until the next reboot, whenever the user should decide that is appropriate.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 15, 2022, 11:53:14 AM

*shrug*  Ask Bill Gates.  I think it was more of a Burgundy color...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2022, 02:00:43 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on June 15, 2022, 11:53:14 AM

Oh, was it that color for the entire course of the update? Mine usually goes through a rainbow of colors while updating.

J N Winkler

Quote from: webny99 on June 15, 2022, 03:18:43 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2022, 02:00:43 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on June 15, 2022, 11:53:14 AMWhy does the "working on updates" screen have a red background?

Oh, was it that color for the entire course of the update? Mine usually goes through a rainbow of colors while updating.

I don't get a color display at all--mine is a cool sky blue, just like the current version of the BSOD.  A Google search on {are colors of "working on updates" screen customizable?} brings up references to a 2017 update that fixed a problem where the screen in question was all black with a small box in theme colors, so I suspect the background color (including any animations) forms part of the Windows theme.

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 15, 2022, 01:59:15 PMIt shouldn't stay on your screen at all–the update process entirely locking out all user interaction with the system while in progress is unique to Windows. (On Linux, for example, the only update that cannot be swapped out in a fully-running system is the kernel–the very lowest level of the operating system–and even that can have updates installed without disturbing the user; the system merely continues to run the old kernel until the next reboot, whenever the user should decide that is appropriate.)

The "lock-out" effect only happens with updates that require reboot and then only while the reboot is in progress.  Many others do not, but are still effectively blocked (for a time) using the do-not-apply settings in Windows Update.  There is another class of updates that are not referenced in Windows Update and cannot be blocked there:  they install silently and the only trace they leave is a notation in the Windows log and changed build numbers and look/feel for built-in Windows apps.  (I hate them.  For a few weeks, until Microsoft fixed the problem, they took away true full-screen image viewing in Photos except as part of a slideshow.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

The frequency of updates requiring a reboot is likely due to the tightly-wound nature of Windows's architecture. Unfortunately, this is the root cause of a whole host of problems that plague it, chief among them being that it is tremendously easy to make the entire OS unrecoverable simply by damaging one component of it (the Registry is particularly vulnerable to this).

I have a laptop with Windows 10 on it in my office, but my need for it is infrequent. That is compounded by the fact that because I boot it up one every few months at best, I get assaulted by a ticker-tape parade of mandatory updates any time I attempt to use it for anything. It feels rather like the machine thinks is primary purpose is to run Windows Update, which means I get no use out of it.

hotdogPi

About a year and a quarter ago, one of my cats turned on a Windows computer that probably hadn't been turned on for 15 years, and we didn't even know it still worked until the cat turned it on. It didn't seem to be pushing for updates. Maybe because it's too old?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on June 15, 2022, 09:20:50 PM
About a year and a quarter ago, one of my cats turned on a Windows computer that probably hadn't been turned on for 15 years, and we didn't even know it still worked until the cat turned it on. It didn't seem to be pushing for updates. Maybe because it's too old?

Probably–at a certain point, operating systems do get end-of-lifed and stop getting any updates at all. (That is the point at which upgrading them usually becomes critical, because they stop receiving security updates too, of course.) I also seem to recall Windows XP wasn't quite as annoying about updates as the later issues, and Windows 98 and before had no update mechanism at all other than by obtaining a service pack CD.

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

bulldog1979

Misuse of apostrophes. I had a coworker who pluralized nearly every word with one and didn't know the difference between "it's" (contraction for "it is") and "its" (possessive form of "it").

kphoger

When you're in a driving situation that requires your full attention...  let's say you're in the center lane of a freeway, and there are vehicles on all sides of you, and you're in the middle of a curve...  and you feel a big sneeze coming on...  and you know it's going to be big enough that you're going to have to close your eyes for that split-second during the sneeze...  but you can't really afford to take your eyes off the road...
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

When computers have precise data but obscure it for no real reason. Like, say, a social media post saying it was posted "4d ago" and has "37k likes". Can you not just put that it was posted June 12, 2022 and has 37,027 likes?

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2022, 12:56:33 PM
When computers have precise data but obscure it for no real reason. Like, say, a social media post saying it was posted "4d ago" and has "37k likes". Can you not just put that it was posted 10:56:33 AM MDT, June 12, 2022 and has 37,027 likes?

FTFY

kphoger

When computers have precise data but obscure it for no real reason. Like, say, a social media post saying it was posted "4d ago" and has "37k likes". Can you not just put that it was posted June 12, 2022 and has 37,027 likes?

Due to audit/QC reviews, a view count on YouTube can actually decrease.  How's that for wacky?
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on June 16, 2022, 12:00:38 PM
When you're in a driving situation that requires your full attention...  let's say you're in the center lane of a freeway, and there are vehicles on all sides of you, and you're in the middle of a curve...  and you feel a big sneeze coming on...  and you know it's going to be big enough that you're going to have to close your eyes for that split-second during the sneeze...  but you can't really afford to take your eyes off the road...

Or when it happens in bumper to bumper traffic and you're going to lose sight of the car in front of you for long enough to possibly rear end him by the time the sneeze fit is over.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

LilianaUwU

On a similar note, YouTube removing the dislike count is pretty shitty. So what if the dislike count is visible? It's not hurting anybody.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

zachary_amaryllis

Phone screen space is kind of limited. That's space that could be (probably) another ad. Or something else.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 16, 2022, 05:46:31 PM

On a similar note, YouTube removing the dislike count is pretty shitty. So what if the dislike count is visible? It's not hurting anybody.

It was hurting a certain flat YouTuber from Illinois.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.